PDA

View Full Version : Agincourt V2

ShadesWolf
07-27-2002, 22:55
I have now updated the Agincourt mod.

It is as close to the actual battle as I can find, with army numbers. Approx 3v1 in favour of the French......

I think this is a hard mod to master.......
Have fun
http://www.members.aol.com/ihusselbee/agincourtv2.zip

Stephen Hummell
07-28-2002, 00:09
It's very hard, but when you hike all the units honour uo to 10 it's quite easy.

If you can win without fiddiling with the mod i'd like to know.

chilliwilli
07-28-2002, 00:15
Yep its tough, but putting valour up to 10 so you can win no problem sucks the fun out of it for me. Just protect your longbowman, attack flanks of The Kngihts when they attempt to charge some of the longbows with the billmen and Henry, and don't have every longbow fire on the same unit since you want to conserve your ammo for the 2nd wave. Also don't bunch every longbow unit to close together. Move them as far as you can protect them. Most importantly though is let the enemy come to you! There is no need to meet them anywhere.

[This message has been edited by chilliwilli (edited 07-27-2002).]

ShadesWolf
07-28-2002, 01:48
Thanks for the reply's guys....

It makes it more interesting when you relise that these are the figures out of books for the actual armies, that took part in the battle

England had 6000 troops
5000 of which were longbows and the other 1000 ish were men-at-arms.

Also I have left the morale alone, its hard enough with them all being fresh. Its a pity we cant put spikes in the ground to make it more realistic.

chilliwilli
07-28-2002, 02:01
Yes it is a pity, but who knows what you crazy modders can do with the full version? Might be able to create something that wasn't originally there or at least simulate it the best you can.

Schultzy
07-28-2002, 06:40
Hat's off to you ShadesWolf!

I've been trying to beat your mod for the last 2-3 hours with varying degrees of failure! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif
My results are currently ranging between disastrous to completely disastrous but, pouring that arrow fire into the French and cutting them down in swathes is bordering on the addictive!!!
It's the most fun i've had with the MTW Demo so far..... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Great stuff, thanks!!!

------------------
"Jetzt ist der Winter unserer Rabattpreiszelten."

barocca
07-28-2002, 09:26
Shadeswolf you can have an army already fatigued at deployment.

Quote (from the online modding guide)
FatigueLevel::FRESH - optional parameter
- deafult is Fresh
FatigueLevel::TIRED produces units who are Quite Tired, and will never recover to any state above that
FatigueLevel::EXHAUSTED produces Exhausted unit, again no recovery,
other fatigue levels crashed Demo[/QUOTE]

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Kraellin
07-28-2002, 12:20
hmmm, spikes in the ground.... if i took and modded one of the wall models...or maybe one of the burned buildings... hmmmm....damage; how do i get it to give damage....hmmm....maybe if an arrow tower were modded for giving damage....make the arrows invisible...hmmm...

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

DrNo
07-28-2002, 15:51
Kraelin I gave the spikes some thought and bascially I think it should be a wall that projectiles pass through. So a cross between a wall and forest.
Not sure about the spikes giving damage as the enemy unit would have to be right on top of the spikes for it to be realistic and even then they would avoid the sharp pointy bits, unless they were cavalry charging into them.

So this would allow enemy to march up to spikes and start hacking away at them, like in the demo where you can hack at wooden walls and knock them down with ordinary troops.

I think this is something CA should really try to incorporate into an expansion or patch. The only problem I see is how do you allow/define positioning of them for defensive side? Part of map, or a deployable feature like a catapult is part of a catapult crew.
i.e. so make it an upgrade where everytime a ranged unit is deployed it has spike wall in front of it protecting it.
Could be a problem this, so I think part of map is the way to go like a castle would be.

DrNo
07-28-2002, 17:21
So Chilliwilli did you beat it?

Just played for first time and lost with following:

Killed 856
Taken 74
Men Lost 468
Men 132

I didn't play tatically that great so there's room for improvement but not sure if it can be won yet.

ShadesWolf
07-28-2002, 22:00
So far my best is

Wiped phase 1 out
Wiped phase two out

But phase three gets me everytime....

chilliwilli
07-28-2002, 22:58
I haven't beaten it once out of about 7 times. The game I came closest was I think the 3rd. After the 2nd wave I only had about 2 longbow units and the chilvaric knights(Henry was the only one left standing in that unit http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif.) In that same game I killed about 930 and captured under 100. In the other 6 games I lost to the 1st wave twice trying different tactics and lost to the 2nd wave 3 times and the 3rd another time. The game I came close I got real lucky since most of the fighting took place far away from the longbows on my left, so they had enough ammo to hurt the 2nd wave badly. The rest of the games my longbows had virtually no ammo when the 2nd wave came. It is a very tough mod, but hey it was a tough battle for The English too.

[This message has been edited by chilliwilli (edited 07-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by chilliwilli (edited 07-28-2002).]

Choco
07-29-2002, 01:24
Nice MOD, but too ward to win so far http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

Only option I see to try to make it a winnable MOD without messing too much with the current setup is to raise King Henry's General lvl in the .adf

I remember an early thread where the "General Ranking" was discussed. It seems that line doesn't just affect the General's efficiency, it also affects somehow the troops under his command.

Changing the "General Ranking" lvl to 4 or 5 should be an option to test.

chilliwilli
07-29-2002, 05:16
For every 2 general rankings the unit he is in gets an extra valour point I believe.

Stephen Hummell
07-29-2002, 05:22
There was mud so that slowed them down, And there was confusion in the french line, also its hard to make it like it really was on the TW engine. I think the longbows should be more effective(200 longbowmen shoot at once and 3 dudes die,thats messed up).

[This message has been edited by Stephen Hummell (edited 07-29-2002).]

TechnoMage of Shadows
07-29-2002, 09:36
Plate mail was not in common use until mid 1400's,
thus at Agincourt French Knights would been chainmail,
thus Chivalric Knights (armour of 7.5)
should be replaced with Feudal Knights (armour of 5)

ALSO Longbows could posible be beefed up with weapon bonus?

Not even close to winning with English.

ShadesWolf
07-29-2002, 12:11
Some good ideas there guys

I will have a look at changing the French Cav to Feudal knights
and I will also look at the English Generals ranking.
I will also look at some way to make the final French charge less of a problem, maybe reduce the units morale....

DrNo
07-29-2002, 15:30
When the full game comes out we should be able to mod each ranged weapons effectiveness so Longbows could then be modded to do some real damage.
Until then I think it's best if you drop the Knights to Feudal as TechnoMage says.

Not sure if it will make enough difference.

One option we do have is to mod the amount of ammo for the unit in unitstats file.