PDA

View Full Version : Bannockburn battle: HUGE mod for Medieval

Choco
08-02-2002, 10:29
Finally i got some spare time so I have updated my website with a couple of new MODs based on the historical battle of Bannockburn between Edward II King of England and Robert the Bruce King of Scotland

The Mods are available at: http://www.geocities.com/armendoza/Medieval.html

There are 2 versions for this battle:

The Alfa version is based on Historical accuracy and is easy to win.

The Beta Version is more aimed to gameplay and is way harder to win. Expect some nasty surprises

You better get a good PC to run this one because there are around 8000 - 10000 soldiers involved on those battles

have fun

barocca
08-02-2002, 15:09
you are right mate,
the first one is easy,

the second one is good,
have to be thinking about flanking, and protecting your own flanks all the time...

took me a couple of tries, but i 'narrowly' won it - less than 100 men on the field,
1500 kills, 700 taken and some 700 odd dead...

------------------
Clan Doragons Medieval Website
Mods, Unit Descriptions and more
DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon (http://doragon.cjb.net)

Choco
08-03-2002, 03:01
Yep. The 2nd one is more balanced.

I was thinking on getting english reinforcement to come from many different sides so you would need to run from one point to another in the map saving the day, but I can't control the way the AI send reinforcements so far http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

barocca
08-03-2002, 09:57
we can - well sort of,
but not if we want them time delayed,
and only to initial deployment units,
which can be a bummer when we want huge numbers of reinforcements...

possibly usefull if we want small scale skirmishes to start with and build up to a full blown carnage situation.

try this and see what you can do with it,

start of main army

position:: 25000 15000 (south side - middle)
direction::0 (unit facing north)

reinforcement unit 1
- do NOT add the reinforcement line
position:: 500 15000 (north side middle)
direction::180 (unit facing south)
(unit should be approx 60 seconds before controllable)

reinforcement unit 2
position:: 500 45000 (north east corner)
direction::225 (unit facing south west)
(unit should be approx 60 seconds)

reinforcement unit 3
position:: 500 55000 (north east corner)
direction::225 (unit facing south west)
(unit should be approx 90 seconds)

we cannot go below 100 i would imagine,
i have not tested completely yet,
but we can go as far above 45000 (typical map edge) as we want, and the unit has to march on.
Be carefull to place units either a good distance behind one another off the map, or be at a different set of co-ordinates,

what happens is they get all tangled up, much the same way as when units try to move through each other on the map,
of course we could do this deliberately to delay them and randomise which units make it onto the board first!

must test this more thouroughly...

BE CAREFUL - if an enemy unit controls the entry zone the unit wwon't move onto the board, you may notice from time to time on Stirling where Surrey has control of Stephens entry zone and stephen's units simply stay off the map,
unless you can push surrey away, stephens units will sit there indefinately.
Noticed this when playtesting,

when playtesting with AI allies i deliberately muck up the triggers so i get to see what happens after my army is defeated!

choco, for bannockburn you've got scots and english reinforcements arriving same side of the map? - or did that just happen by chance?

------------------

Choco
08-03-2002, 14:46
Nope I dind't plan anything, it was a totally random thing. The sequence of modding events was:

1)Added reinforcements for Bruce and when running the game the reinforcements came from the side of the map behind Bruce's army. No idea how it worked but since it made sense to have reinforcements coming from Bruce's rearguard I keep it.

2)Added reinforcements for Gloucester. Those came from a weird position on the corner behind Bruce's army. However when playing the MOD I saw that it worked fine because allowed Gloucester's reinforcements to hit Bruce's flanks and rearguard easily.

4)Added Edward's reinforcements and they came from the same corner than Gloucester's did.

All this was totally random. However I have an educated guess. Reinforcements for every army army arrive from different sides of the map, BUT if you have reinforcements for 2 armies belonging to the same faction (like Gloucester and Edward) then they arrive from the same point.

Other than that I have no idea how reinforcements' startin points are set.

barocca
08-03-2002, 16:38
if you check The Crucible, you will observe all reinforcements enter EXACTLY behind the starting postions of the armies.

These are timed reinforcements and their 'rally' points are fairly close to where they actually come into play.

I usually set the initial point, even though the unit is a reinforcement, and the initial point i choose is almost always the army generals start position.

You would think they come on as close to this point as possible.
HOWEVER when i designed the crucible the Player's Army was at 38,38 - but i eventually moved Player to 25,25 - but his reinforcements still come in from 38,38!

go figure!

------------------