PDA

View Full Version : Family Members a.k.a. Nobles

aleh
08-15-2005, 05:34
One thing I absolutely /hated/, and still do, about Rome: Total War is the fact that family members are very rare AND the good ones are almost always rare to find.

Will General/Governors handled the same way as in MTW where the units themselves have commanders with traits and so on? That's much more logical to me.

Andreas
08-15-2005, 08:41
You ean that the non family has traits? That cannot be done, harcoded. Family will be handled as in vanilla...

aleh
08-15-2005, 12:10
Well in that case, is there a way to say that you pop out more family members or something? Because technically, armies would be handled by nobles and officers and the like, and unless I am -heavily- off the road(which I might be), I'd think there'd be ample abundance of 'em. Eh? ~:)

aleh
08-15-2005, 12:11
My apologies.

Is there a way to code* And if yes, will you do it?

Sorta like make the nobles of a nation into one huge family?

McFungos
08-15-2005, 12:16
I have heard that in BI, you can produce general but a produced general won't be considered family member, so can't have children and can't be chosen as heir.

Andreas
08-15-2005, 13:26
I guess this will be the solution... most armies are lead by a general, not a royal family member....

McFungos
08-15-2005, 19:59
Here the exact quote from the FAQ about BI :

Q: Has granting units titles and that sort of thing been considered again for BI or future expansions (the extra command stars/management could really helpt he AI as well as creating more generals to lead armies)?

A: We assume by this that you are talking about the MTW concept of provincial titles being granted to unit leaders. There are two features that you'll see in BI that are similar to this, but not quite the same.

Firstly, you'll be able to recruit generals in the same way as other units: by building the right building in a settlement and then training them. A recruited general will come with a cavalry bodyguard, but he won't be part of the ruling family and won't be eligible to become faction heir or leader. They will age and die, so this is a temporary addition to your leadership.

Secondly, some factions have offices of state that can be given to generals, such as the 'magister peditum' for the Romans, an office that grants an infantry command bonus. You will be free to shift offices of state around between your generals over time, although loading every office onto a single uber-general won't be possible.

soibean
08-17-2005, 00:34
I dont agree about getting good family members rarely, you just need to watch them from time to time and realise when its time to turn a cruel, poor assessor, lazy, stupid, drunk family member into a 5 star general who is terribly scarred. This way he isnt hurting your cities, his children and other young bloods of your family get a fresh chance at Academy ++ retinues and traits.

I do hate how about 9 out of 10 adoption possibilities have one trait - been in wars or confident commander... yea I really could use a guy with respectable management. Well this guy is a social drinker so I guess he's perfect to manage my capital city before he becomes lazy and all those other stupid random traits that pop up... well after two years it looks like I'll have another drunken general to go massacre some gauls or some such.

Myrddraal
09-08-2005, 23:50
if you want more family members, we can just make them start with a larger family.