PDA

View Full Version : New MOD: Bosworth and check out the pics at my site

verysoon
07-28-2002, 11:16
Ok, finally, the Battle of Bosworth is complete. It got a bit side tracked while I was working on my site.
http://expeditiohistoria.web1000.com/

It's about as accurate as I could get it. Lack of any type of unit, i.e.. Pikemen, is because I simply couldn't use it or, at the very least, their weapons would not show up. Billmen showed up -for me- just fine.

Also, took a screen shot showing that you can mount/dismount your knights. It's been disabled. This is known, right? God knows this could be old news. The second pick shows a button at the bottom left corner, just above your first unit icon. It's the same that's found in S:TW; as you deploy, you can choose extra formations. Is this new, or have I just discovered oxygen? Just click on the link at the top of the page, you can't miss it.

[This message has been edited by verysoon (edited 07-28-2002).]

DrNo
07-28-2002, 15:40
Yes the Knights mount/dismount thing is known, can't remember who first spotted the option but DD got the low down from CA.

Basically you can dismount your knights in deployment phase only, so you won't know for sure what troops you are facing on the field of battle, in campaign game of course.

It's a great step forward and I am looking forward to using cavalry, something that was really lacking in STW.

Must go play your battle now and see how it goes. Will let you know if I survive.

DrNo
07-28-2002, 16:49
Well I survived and managed to win but only just. This is a truly epic battle with the real emphasis on controling your units and getting them into the right fight.
You can be winning on one part of the field but losing badly on another, where to send the reserves and when.

Everyone should have a go at this and play a battle where it's not just a case of piling in your men to one big fight. Well at least it wasn't for me.
I had skirmishes going on on both sides of field and a couple of seperate central battles as well.

Certainly a 5 star battle and one that CA should seriously include in MTW final release!!

chilliwilli
07-28-2002, 23:40
I also one, but barely. I keep begging my comp that Northumberland would actually do something, but then realise they didn't do anything in the real battle anyway lol. I like how you put Richard in his own unit, so he has a better chance of dying that was a good move. He did die, but before that happened I had killed both Henry and his allie's general, so I still won. You also handled Northumberland nicely by making them defensive, so they won't join the battle. Probably the most historically accurate mod around and you made it accurate without sacrificing gameplay wich is sometimes tough to do. Good work!

verysoon
07-29-2002, 00:46
Thanks a lot guys. I feel that this is my best MOD.

I struggled with trying to make it as historically accurate as possible, considering your playing the 'losing' side, without taking away any of the game play.

What to do with Northumberland took awhile. He betrayed Richard and did not participate. So, do I show him or not? I personally like it when a lot more troops are shown on the battlefield, giving it an epic look. Finally it dawned on me...make him weak and defensive. Problem solved. The ai just looks for a good position to set up a defense, hence, taking him out of the battle...UNLESS

Now, how to deal with the Stanley brothers. Historically, they didn’t betray Richard until the very end. I think the MOD does a so-so job at this.

About making Richard a lone unit. I should put a patent on this! I think it gets you a little bit more involved in the game, sort of like an RPG. That is, unless you’re like me and forget about him!

Thanks for the input. Tell your friends.

DrNo
07-29-2002, 15:25
Verysoon, I did like the idea of Richard in hos own unit and it's something that was mentioned in STW a long time back.

But the real problem is that because you can only field 16 units, having a single man unit isn't so good. Certainly for battles like this it is a winner though.

Perhaps to be a bit more realistic, make it a 4 or 5 man unit. These would not be his personal bodyguards but his truly best knights/friends(if he has any).

Role on the times when we can field 32 units or more!!

And Verysoon I hope you can manage to make a mod that is even better than this one. That would take some doing http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

barocca
07-29-2002, 19:42
I got rushed by both Tudor and Stanley, sacrificed an archer to save 2 and Richard

half my army got slaughtered by Tudor and half got into a running battle wiith Stanley,

fortuantely Tudor wanted Richard and the 2 archers and chased them back to Northumberland, who had an army of fresh troops and, with the remnants of mine who rallied, turned the tide,

the half of my army running skirmish with the Stanley's never got back in time to help,

but Nothumberland carried the day and exectued Tudor on the battlefield!

The Plantagenat Rulers Proved wise and agrressive,

England conquered France after a Protracted Campaign, The rest of Europe fell within 3 generations.

By the 1700's England Ruled all of Europe, The America's and North Africa,
By the 1800's most of south East Asia was under their Rule.
By the 1900's the Planet was United,
1952 man landed on the moon,
1964 first manned mission to mars,
1990 first mission to Alpha Centauri
-
um....
maybe i got carried away with the alternate history...

Great Battle!
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by barocca (edited 07-29-2002).]

barocca
07-30-2002, 01:25
PS.
of course AFTER the battle I re-read the read me file and realised Richard was supposed to lose,
sorry Henry - you can stop haunting my house now, - http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Clan Doragons Medieval Website
Mods, Unit Descriptions and more
DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon (http://doragon.cjb.net)

El Cid Campeador
07-30-2002, 14:05
Verysoon and Barocca, trying to access your sites I get always redirected to the home page of "web1000". I've tried a lot of times but it is of no use. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you.

barocca
07-30-2002, 16:00
I just checked mine http://doragon.barocca.web1000.com/
it works fine

verysoons's site http://expeditiohistoria.web1000.com/
also works,

If both are ever down at the same time wait 15 minutes and try again,
This is a Commercial Provider who has excess bandwidth available 99% of the time, so they 'lend' bandwidth to poor people like me to host a website.

average downtime is less than 1 hour per week! If there is a major interruption they notify us via email.

Also ALWAYS bookmark ONLY the entry page and never ever try to hotlink to an image, they don't much like hotlinks...

perhaps you have high security enabled in your browser?

------------------

El Cid Campeador
07-30-2002, 19:36
Thank you for your help, Barocca. But it´s always the same, I get redirected to the following address (home page of web 1000):
http://web1000.globalreachinc.com/404/mainstream/abcsearch2.html

I checked security but this is OK. Perhaps it is the fact that I am based in Germany?

Tsunamisan
07-31-2002, 00:55
A truly great battle with good attention to detail. Got wasted first time around even though Tudor and Stanley had been put to the sword - some enemy troops had rallied beyond my vision and smashed into me just as celebrations were starting.....Damn you on that hill Northumberland...grrrrr

verysoon
07-31-2002, 02:50
Quote Originally posted by Tsunamisan:
A truly great battle with good attention to detail. Got wasted first time around even though Tudor and Stanley had been put to the sword - some enemy troops had rallied beyond my vision and smashed into me just as celebrations were starting.....Damn you on that hill Northumberland...grrrrr[/QUOTE]

The hint is that you can get Northumberland to help. Simply move around his position. Or, at the very least, if the battle is going bad, take what units you have left and move there. He will be forced to fight.

[This message has been edited by verysoon (edited 07-30-2002).]

Kraellin
07-31-2002, 02:51
el cid,

the 404 error is usually a timeout or site full indication error. if yer in germany and the site in the states and you're using a 56k modem, this could easily just have timed out. even if you're on a broadband connection, it could still occur frequently. only thing to do, if that's the case, is to keep trying it and hope the traffic thins out.

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

El Cid Campeador
07-31-2002, 19:52
Thank you, Kraellin, I think that's exactly the problem. I'll keep trying but it's quite annoying. I never had such difficulties to access a web site in the US. Surely this guys at web1000 have a very short timeout span?

EC

barocca
07-31-2002, 19:57
El Cid,
do you have an email acount that i can send some odds and ends to?

also I will look at aquiring another account at another service over the next few days and see if i can create a downloads mirror somewhere,
hmmm - i wonder if my isp will come to the party...

PLUS I will be uploading a fair chunk of my personal files to the org within the next few days...

barocca_x@hotmail.com
i'm off to bed right this second, so give me 5 hours to sleep and i'll check my email before i head out inthe morning...

------------------

Tsunamisan
08-03-2002, 02:46
Verysoon - good advice above re: Northumerland - thanks ! whacked em good second time around

AvramL
08-11-2002, 13:59
Yeah, I retreated my entire army at the start and got Northumberland to take Henry's right flank, the battle was a slaughter!!!

Cheetah
08-25-2002, 22:55
Very nice battle verysoon! I lost on the first two attempts ... DOH! I want to win without the cowardly Northumberland!

DK
08-27-2002, 19:45
Cool battle, a little confusing, but cool.

The first time, I was confused as to what the hell was going on.

The second time I won, though I dont know if it technically counts as victory. I pulled back a bit and formed a powerful single line of billmen with the archers behind them. The foot knights and sergeants were ready to engage whoever needed help, and the cavalry formed wedges. Well, it was close, very close. I beat the shit into Tudor's army, but then one of the Stanleys falnked me. Thankfully, he flanked on my strongest side, and my guys just about managed to hold him off until their general as kiled and most of them pegged it. My cavalry had run around the back and was terrorising the archers, until Hnery Tudor himself turned up and picked a fight. Tudor fell first, but the his bastard knights killed RIchard! DOH! Oh yeah, and somewhere aong the line the other Stanley died. So, thoguh I drove off the army without Northumberlands help, all the important people died which means what...? King Northumberland? Eeep...

Cheetah
08-27-2002, 22:13
I just managed to win on the third attempt. It was very close, I had barely enough time to swing left, to meet Henry, and then to swing right, to meet the Stanley's. Richard is well and happy ...

Long live king Richard!!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif