PDA

View Full Version : Point in Clans?

RTW King
08-21-2005, 18:49
I'll be new to multiplayer soon if I can get it to work on my computer (help with this on other thread in this section). I was having a look at clans, and they all talk about alliances and wars etc. I thought RTW MP was random people playing random matches against each other. If thats right, whats the point in clans?

Grey_Fox
08-21-2005, 18:52
You can choose what games you want to join. You can also chat to people before you join a game.

Sjakihata
08-21-2005, 18:53
The point in clan, basically, is to eliminate the randomness, and team up with a bunch of guys that more or less share the same ideals (can be both game wise and other ideals). Then you can start doing competitions, practice on teamwork, tactics and strategies - but best of all, is that there's always a good friend with whom to play or chat.

All the alliances/wars bit is a bit hyped imo, and not necessary. Clan wars can go FUBAR and everyone get's hurt.

Anyway, I suggest you figure out how much time you'll be willing to spend playing this game. And if you want to commit yourself. If you want to play a lot and want to commit yourself to a greater enterprise - you are ready for clan shopping.

Good luck

Lord Preston
08-21-2005, 18:59
well under your analysis there is no point in clans for any game?

There is not just 1v1 matches, there are team games which are highly enjoyable BUT there is a obvious and clear skill level difference between random players and clan teams.

clans will play together, learning how each other plays (Vandal Horde even uses comms to aid in communication and teamwork) so to get the best team battles clan battles are normally best.

with randoms you never know what you will get, hence randoms. you could get 2 opponents who setup no where near each other and are set for two 1v1 battles..... why dont they just do a 1v1 instead?!?!

Grey_Fox
08-21-2005, 19:03
Vandal Horde even uses comms to aid in communication and teamwork

Most clans do nowadays.

Lord Preston
08-21-2005, 19:13
Most clans do nowadays.

maybe, but judging by the amount of in game chatter by clans to there own members i think "some" would be a better description.

Taurus
08-21-2005, 20:26
The point in clans as has already been said is indeed the ability to be in constant contact within a small (or sometimes large) community of players. You get to meet new friends and imo playing as a team on a regular basis is much more fun. Also as Preston said you get to learn new tactics from one another etc.

Overall, clans are a great way to go. ~:cheers:

Lord Preston
08-21-2005, 23:13
as far as allies go its more of a friendship between clans.

VH and LH spam each other forums all the time, chatting about random things and play not only rome with/against each other but other games such as BF2

clans are a good way to find friendly like minded people.

King Ragnar
08-21-2005, 23:51
Yeh spamming is fun, if your not in a clan its hard to make freinds who you can play a gam with. So if your in a clan you can have a forum where you can meet and talk about playing games and just general chating about random stuuf its all fun.

Orda Khan
08-22-2005, 00:24
If you've heard of a clan called the XXXX, you'll know that clan wars can go FUBAR and everyone will get hurt.

Singling out the XXXX is not exactly fair and in fact it is very naive. They do not carry the 'troublemaker' tag alone and ( speaking from experience ) there are others who are far worse

.........Orda

Wishazu
08-22-2005, 00:48
yes, it is wrong to point the finger and single anyone out. I got the most trouble from the new clans that seem to spring up all the time and disappear just as quick, ive asked a few players for friendly games and all i get is "F**K off NOOB!" or words to that effect. They seem to hang around the lobbies purely to annoy everyone else whos there to actually play rome.

CBR
08-22-2005, 00:53
Lets keep this discussion on a general level with no clans being mentioned thanks.

CBR

Gawain of Orkeny
08-22-2005, 00:58
Clans are the best way to learn how to play this game. When you join a clan they will teach you what they now. Its a shared experience. It also helps you keep a decent level of play. In MP one noob will ruin a whole game. You are only as good as your weakest team mate.

tibilicus
08-22-2005, 01:15
The point in clans you ask? Is it not more fun to play together than to play on your own. Also as you improve clan members and other clans ofer a much beter standard of play. Since I started to know other clans I have really had some fun games. As Gawain mentioned above it also does help you keep a desent level of play. As for clans making trouble, I have found it best to stay out of those sort of things. In many situations I have heard and seen many personal arguments turn into all out swearing contests. But I must admit theres more pluses to a clan than there are negatives.

Jochi Khan
08-22-2005, 15:00
Clans are the best way to learn how to play this game.

There are many players out there that are far better players from learning how to play before coming to MP. Why do so many have no inclination to join a clan?

In MP one noob will ruin a whole game.

'will' ?? How is any 'newcomer' (I detest the term 'noob') expected to learn.
Everyone started at the bottom of the ladder. How many of the 'good' players 'ruined' a whole game when they started playing MP?

Clans have their good points and bad. It is up to the individual which course they want to take.

Some people prefer to play as individuals, and are good players too.

Some like the feeling of belonging to a clan.

The choice is yours ~:)

Jochi

TosaInu
08-22-2005, 16:30
You are only as good as your weakest team mate.

-Weakness is strength.
-Decent allies will compensate.

4 individually weak players who work as a team will beat 4 starplayers that don't.

TosaInu
08-22-2005, 16:32
How many of the 'good' players 'ruined' a whole game when they started playing MP?

Jochi

Players who are good now, are still able to ruin games.

Lord Adherbal
08-22-2005, 16:45
4 individually weak players who work as a team will beat 4 starplayers that don't.

anyone who's capable of good teamplay isn't "weak" imo. And the other way round is true for "starplayers"

'will' ?? How is any 'newcomer' (I detest the term 'noob') expected to learn.
Everyone started at the bottom of the ladder. How many of the 'good' players 'ruined' a whole game when they started playing MP?

a "noob" is a bad player, usualy with a bad mouth aswell, who refuses to listen to more experienced players. There is nothing wrong with beginners, but if they charge of toward 3 opponents while their teammates are still grouping together and telling the guy to come back - which he doesnt - then this beginner can officially be classified as a "noob" and just ruined a game.

TosaInu
08-22-2005, 16:52
Agreed: what is weak, what is strong?

The tiger will tear you apart in the jungle, the shark will eat you in the sea and the bird is singing his song high in the tree.

Gawain of Orkeny
08-22-2005, 17:49
There are many players out there that are far better players from learning how to play before coming to MP. Why do so many have no inclination to join a clan?

I have never seen a player come from sp and be good right away at MP.

Agreed: what is weak, what is strong?

Its realative as to whos playing. If in a 4 on 4 .7 players are equal and one is weaker rest assured a good team will find that weakness.

Isnt this what clans are about?

Again Im speaking of BAD players like those [cF]Adherbal was speaking of. In those cases the games over before it begins. I guy who takes all v0 units and no range units has pretty much condemned you to loose before the battle even starts.

TosaInu
08-22-2005, 20:48
I have never seen a player come from sp and be good right away at MP.

How good? I've met new players who were pretty good (no they were not undercover pretenders).

Its realative as to whos playing. If in a 4 on 4 .7 players are equal and one is weaker rest assured a good team will find that weakness.

When one is certain of his victory, he already lost ~D

Isnt this what clans are about?

Not necessarily, irrelevant and I was thinking about both teams being established clans. A clan consisting of 4 'avarage' players can easily beat a clan consisting of 4 1v1 champions. In other words: the latter team has individually strong players, but their teamplay is weaker.

Two or more strangers can meet for the first time and turn out to be compatible. Bye bye seasoned clan vets.

More seriously, though I'm not entirely kidding, the statement I reacted to is:

You are only as good as your weakest team mate.

This is simply not true, no matter what both teams are composed of.

-Individually weaker, but better as a team.
-1 weakest link and 3 strong players that know about the weakest links weakness and adjust the battleplan, so the weakness becomes a strong point.

It's so easy to blame a team defeat on one guy, especially if this is a new player. It's a teamgame, not x 1v1. When the new guy didn't move in fast enough, then you were too far ahead.

I recognise the cases [cF]Adherbal is talking about. Again, adjust the battle plan to the weakest link and become a strong team. The 'noob' is your ally, not another enemy. It's no use to abandon hope, start fuming or criticise his army composition or even his moves during the battle. You can try some brief requests, don't overwhelm him with 'you must do this and that and such and so, NO, STOP, RUN, WAIT, LEFT, WHEEL RIGHT, Double Echelon!!!'. Keep it simple, those first impressions are overwhelming enough.

More than one game I've been in has been ruined by 'no-noobs' (no accidents or bad luck: just spoiled). I'am talking about breaking agreements, far less than gentleman behaviour, escaping, swearing, bad sports, after match public foyer spanking, blaming allies, gross exploiting of loopholes.

Orda Khan
08-22-2005, 21:36
Wise words as always, Tosa.
The need to 'pwn' ones opponent/opponents is ( IMO ) the greatest reason for MP battles to deteriorate and ( again IMO ) hey have done so since MTW.

The term 'noob' is an insult and helps not one bit the cause of the MP side of this game.

Some of my most enjoyable games have been when a new player has joined. We may not have won a resounding victory but hopefully the 'noob' enjoyed his experience enough to continue playing Total War.......as indeed I did myself some years ago

.....Orda

Craterus
08-23-2005, 01:46
How good? I've met new players who were pretty good (no they were not undercover pretenders).

When one is certain of his victory, he already lost ~D

Not necessarily, irrelevant and I was thinking about both teams being established clans. A clan consisting of 4 'avarage' players can easily beat a clan consisting of 4 1v1 champions. In other words: the latter team has individually strong players, but their teamplay is weaker.

Two or more strangers can meet for the first time and turn out to be compatible. Bye bye seasoned clan vets.

More seriously, though I'm not entirely kidding, the statement I reacted to is:

This is simply not true, no matter what both teams are composed of.

-Individually weaker, but better as a team.
-1 weakest link and 3 strong players that know about the weakest links weakness and adjust the battleplan, so the weakness becomes a strong point.

It's so easy to blame a team defeat on one guy, especially if this is a new player. It's a teamgame, not x 1v1. When the new guy didn't move in fast enough, then you were too far ahead.

I recognise the cases [cF]Adherbal is talking about. Again, adjust the battle plan to the weakest link and become a strong team. The 'noob' is your ally, not another enemy. It's no use to abandon hope, start fuming or criticise his army composition or even his moves during the battle. You can try some brief requests, don't overwhelm him with 'you must do this and that and such and so, NO, STOP, RUN, WAIT, LEFT, WHEEL RIGHT, Double Echelon!!!'. Keep it simple, those first impressions are overwhelming enough.

More than one game I've been in has been ruined by 'no-noobs' (no accidents or bad luck: just spoiled). I'am talking about breaking agreements, far less than gentleman behaviour, escaping, swearing, bad sports, after match public foyer spanking, blaming allies, gross exploiting of loopholes.

These are wise words indeed.

I have found myself to work better with some random players, than with some of my fellow clan-members. It's related to how you fight battles and the way you think.

Sjakihata
08-23-2005, 01:52
These are wise words indeed.

I have found myself to work better with some random players, than with some of my fellow clan-members. It's related to how you fight battles and the way you think.

We must fix that - from now on you'll have to play 2 hours EVERY day with me ~;)

Gawain of Orkeny
08-23-2005, 01:57
The term 'noob' is an insult and helps not one bit the cause of the MP side of this game.

Well I dont. I think of it as a new or unskilled player. One who dosent even know how to group hid units. I need no lectures from any of you on this as Ive probably trained more "noobs" than anyone here. In fact I relish doing so. All im saying is its frustrating to spend half an hour in the lobby getting a 4 on 4 together and finding out one guy is clueless as to how to play or just doesnt listen to his team mates. Its not like in the old days when you just jumped into the next game. Thankfully you dont find many such people in VI anymore as most are either vets or have played MTW for sometime. The worst is when you try to help someone and they cop an attitude.

Orda Khan
08-23-2005, 18:55
I need no lectures from any of you on this as Ive probably trained more "noobs" than anyone here.

My comment was not a lecture, it was a comment that stated my opinion

.....Orda