PDA

View Full Version : Name Game

dclare4
09-07-2002, 19:33
Hi all! I'm new to MTW but I loved STW a lot and even got to model one of my favorite battle scenes from the movie RAN there. Anyways, I got to playing MTW and I've been having great fun. However, I did notice some, err, descrepancies that didn't really make for a historically accurate experience for me.

The game uses much pre-Norman Conquest nomenclature for names and places in England. The use of Northumbria, Mercia and Wessex are certainly convenient but hardly keeping in the spirit of the period represented by the game (1087-1456). Same thing with the generals names w/c include many Saxon names like Aelfgar, Uhtred, Wulfstan and Tostig. Since the names are randomized you end up with weird 'interbreeds' of names like Tostig Neville or Aelfgar Fitzalan. NO self-respecting Norman noble who wanted his sons to reach maturity would ever give his son a barbaric name like Tostig.

Another problem is the English nobles represented in the game are taken mostly from what seems to be the 'War of the Roses' period w/c came AFTER the game period. Families like Neville, Percy, etc really only came into their own after the French wars during the turbulent civil war we now call the Wars of the Roses. The names of the great noble families from the Conquest to the 'Band of Brothers' (thats HARRY V's band not Tom Hanks' band) period are barely if ever represented. Narry a De Clare, De Lacy, De Valence, De Bohun, De Ufford, De Montacute, De Beauchamp, Bigod or Marshal represented. The only English hero is Robin's old foe Guy of Gisbourne while the French only get Joans companion Gilles de Rais.

So I set about changing all that. Now I fight in Northumberland and Yorkshire (ex Northumbria and Mercia - Wessex stayed as I felt that area could never be accurately represented by one county name while at the very least Northumberland and Yorkshire do dominate the areas they represent.) The nobles now include many of the 'old families' plus some minor families like the Cliffords, Hungerfords, Pastons, Whittingtons (thrice Lord Mayor), Dalynrigges and the like. Unfortunately the game seems to have hardcoded several names and notices if they're not present so I had to keep the Saxon names - if you get Morcar Paston or Tostig Hungerford just shrug it off as a ba$tard of one of these great nobles who made good. The heroes now include Jean, Captal de Buch and Enguerrand de Coucy for the French and William Marshal and John Neville among others for the English.

If anyone cares to try this out just drop me a line.

richpics516@yahoo.com

Gilbert de Clare

dclare4
09-07-2002, 19:56
Oh and I forgot to mention, I changed the 'Titles of Nobility' too - they are now dependent on the time period (Early, High, Late) for the British Areas (inc Scotland/Ireland/Wales). The Irish start out with Lord of Ireland but if you start in the Late period its now the more accurate Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. The Scots start out with a King of Scotland, in the middle period its the powerful and most ancient of the hereditary earldoms, the Earl of Fife (historically held by the MacDuffs - same chaps as the slayer of MacBeth) and in the late period I think its Lord Steward of Scotland. The English get started with the Earl of Surrey (Wessex) w/c is replaced by Earl of Arundel in the Late period, the Earl of Norfolk w/c is replaced by Duke of York in the late period and the Earl of Northumberland for of course Northumberland. The Welsh get their Prince of Wales for the early and high periods but by the time of Edward II (late period) the title is the Earldom of Pembroke (held historically by the De Valence family). Of course if you start out in 1087 the names don't change over time (it doesn't magically become Earl of Arundel or go from King of Scotland to Earl of Fife to Lord Steward later on!) But it adds (at least for me) a LOT of flavor to the game.

Gilbert de Clare

barocca
09-08-2002, 04:58
dclare,
feel free to zip your files up, drop your explanation into a read me file, along with appropiate notes of which files need to be backup, and where to copy yourfiles too,
and we'll host this at the org's downloads
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif