PDA

View Full Version : Early Modern Total War

Cesare diBorja
08-28-2005, 10:15
I would like to find individuals interested in an early modern warfare game for RTW. The game would cover the years from 1618 to 1792. Sort of a precursor to the NTW2 game from the NAP folks. I have been wondering if the marian reforms could be used more than once to exhibit changes in the way wars were fought in this period. Any assistance is more than welcome.

Cesare :inquisitive:

Atheist_Peace
08-28-2005, 16:51
Thats a pretty big project to try and take on, i dont think it will be easy to get members. Can you skin or model yourself?

Cesare diBorja
08-28-2005, 19:21
Yeah, I can do both. Its mostly an historical interest for me so whether or not others help is of no consequence. There are already two of us here and we both have alot of modding experience. Just testing the waters. Some of the others already have Nap2 so it only leaves periods before or after in the modern era to be done. Skinning and modding are the easy part (just very, very, very tedious) its getting all the historical events and learning to make them work in the game that daunts me. Names, faces, places, campiagn map, etc. That's the real work. Modelling and skinning. One to two per day until its done, assuming eight to ten hours of serious work. It can be fun.
The project can be broken down into mini-mods themselves. For example, 1618-1648(The Thirty Years War), 1648-1710(Wars of the Early Enlightenment), 1710-1778,1776-1792(The Wars of Succession, The Revolutionary Wars). It doesn't all have to be done at once. A consummate knowledge of history helps a great deal.
If you have 234 spaces to work with what is wrong with making a world map. Most of the rest of the world is colonial at this time and territories are huge. Twelve turns per year. Or even a concept of one day, one turn. The interest here for me is time. Time invested is time well spent. But then I am a hobbyist whose waited a long time for this opportunity.

Slainte ~:cheers:

King of Atlantis
08-28-2005, 19:25
Wow, sounds great. I must say im much more convienced by your second post. To learn how to do all those things that you stated the org has many great tutorials, and im sure you can figure most stuff out.

Good Luck! ~:cheers:

Atheist_Peace
08-28-2005, 19:47
Well then good luck!

If you manage to make this mod i would definitely try it.

Helgi
08-28-2005, 20:34
Sounds Great,

Would love to cheak it out

Cesare diBorja
08-29-2005, 00:15
Thank you, gentlemen. Preliminary research and development began a week ago. The process will be steady and slow to be sure. Hope to have something next spring. Its a sicere hope. Mostly a hope.

Cesare

Cesare diBorja
09-11-2005, 18:30
These are the factions planned for the first game, 'The Marvelous Enigma'. Starting in January, 1739 and going to December, 1786.

1. Great Britain
2. France
3. Spain
4. Sweden
5. Denmark-Norway
6. Prussia
7. The Reich Empire(includes Austria, Bavaria, and Prussia)
8. The Kingdom of Austria-Hungary
9. Duchy of Venice
10. Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
11. Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia(The House of Savoy)
12. Genoese Republic
13. Kingdom of Saxony and Poland
14. Imperial Russia
15. The Ottaman Empire
16. Hanover(The House of Brunswick)
17. The Kingdom of Portugal
18. Switzerland
19. The United Privinces(The Dutch)
20. The Kingdom of Bavaria
21. The Barbary Coast

Some of the Basic units will be

1. Musketeers and Line Infantry(120-140 soldiers)
2. Fusiliers and Chasseurs(light infantry)(80-100 soldiers)
3. Grenadiers(three types; Standing Grenadier battalions(70-85 soldiers, Sapper-Miners Company(18 soldiers)(throw grenades), Guard Grenadiers Battalion(100 soldiers)
4. Foot Guard Battalions(100 soldiers)
5. Militia(120 soldiers)
6. Free Battalions(100 soldiers)
7. Partisans
8. Militar-Grenze(Grenzers, Warasdiners,Partei-Gangers, Pandours)
9. Swiss Mercenary Infantry
10. Swiss Guards(Switzerland, Paris and Rome)
11. Partisan cavalry
12. Grenzer Cavalry
13. Hungarian Hussars
14. Hussars
15. Dragoons
16. Uhlans
17. Cuirassiers
18. Lieb-Cuirassiers
19. Garde du Corps
20. Jagers
21. Sharpshooters
22. artillery; 3,4,6,8,10,12 pdr cannon
16, 24, 32, pdr siege cannon
6, 8, 10, 15, 20, 25 pdr howitzers
35, 50 pdr mortars
( not all of these versions may be possible, and we will take the most used for our purposes). A variety of ammunition for the artillery will be researched and implemented.

Units will be proposed and made up to specifications for each factions(uniforms, banners, etc.)

Marshals
Generals
Subalterns
Seargents
Ensigns
Drummers and Fifers

The Stranger
09-11-2005, 18:46
this is funny everyone wants to try it out but nobody helps..it reminds me of a story...for me i would love to help but i cant...i've got plenty of homework..i'm already working for 2 other mods so i really cant do a third

SwordsMaster
09-11-2005, 21:57
These are the factions planned for the first game, 'The Marvelous Enigma'. Starting in January, 1739 and going to December, 1786.

1. Great Britain
2. France
3. Spain
4. Sweden
5. Denmark-Norway
6. Prussia
9. Duchy of Venice
12. Genoese Republic
14. Imperial Russia
15. The Ottaman Empire
18. Switzerland
21. The Barbary Coast

Some of the Basic units will be

1. Musketeers(120-140 soldiers)
2. Fusiliers(light infantry)(80-100 soldiers)
3. Grenadiers(three types; Standing Grenadier battalions(70-85 soldiers, Sapper-Miners Company(18 soldiers)(throw grenades), Guard Grenadiers Battalion(100 soldiers)
4. Foot Guard Battalions(100 soldiers)
5. Militia(120 soldiers)
6. Free Battalions(100 soldiers)
7. Partisans
8. Militar-Grenze(Grenzers, Warasdiners,Partei-Gangers, Pandours)
9. Swiss Mercenary Infantry
10. Swiss Guards(Switzerland, Paris and Rome)
11. Partisan cavalry
12. Grenzer Cavalry
13. Hungarian Hussars
14. Hussars
15. Dragoons
16. Uhlans
17. Cuirassiers
18. Lieb-Cuirassiers
19. Garde du Corps
20. Jagers
21. Sharpshooters

That is way too general. Not all of the factions will have the same roster (I hope), that would destroy the game. So I wouldn't recommend this kind of approach.

Anyway, I'm interested in the period and already did a good bit of research for the pike&musket mod (link in my sig) starting 150 years earlier and finishing in 1700, so if you need data concerning Spain from that period feel free to ask. I'm doing some research on Peter the Great from Russia, so hopefully I'll have some solid info on that too in a couple of weeks.

Good luck and may your textures always be bright and shiny. ~:cheers:

Cesare diBorja
09-11-2005, 23:44
Unfortunately, high unit specialization came after the 1760's. A lot of the units used by the major powers were as basic as I described. It makes room for alot of additional units that can be constructed later. Elite musketeer formations came from being experienced and fighting many campaigns. This campaign will not necessarily be one of conquest, but one of maintenance. You will have to maintain your borders while attempting to subvert your neighbors via alliances and direct campaigning. Not every nation will have the same units. Most will have a core of eight working units. There will of course be lots of mercenaries to choose from. Such were the times. I plan to indulge in the the varieties of infantry and cavalry units at a later date, but for now as there are only two of us, whatever is quickest ot the first working 'beta' as it were. Conceptualization is still in process and I plan to keep a keen attention to detail as this is my most cherished period. Swordmaster, I may be able to help you with your Russian endeavor. Trade would be agreeable and most adequate. Your on.

salut,

diBorgia

King of Atlantis
09-12-2005, 00:24
this is funny everyone wants to try it out but nobody helps..it reminds me of a story...for me i would love to help but i cant...i've got plenty of homework..i'm already working for 2 other mods so i really cant do a third

I think its funny that you would point that out and not help yourself... ~;)

RTW King
09-12-2005, 22:55
If Reich Empire includes Bavaria, why is Kingdom of Bavaria a seperate faction?

Cesare diBorja
09-13-2005, 20:03
Life and love to Tupac Shakur, RIP

Simple

SPQR =The Reich
Julii = Prussia
Scipii = Austria-Hungary
Brutii = Bavaria

The situation of Europe at this time is very much like the factional disposition of Senior Roman families. They are all struggling for position with the HRE. I would like to include Saxony-Poland and Hanover into this as well, butit may be difficult. There were Eleven major electorates during this period. I have just mentioned the largest and most important.

There you have it.

diBorgia :charge:

dclare4
09-15-2005, 04:32
This would fall under two mods I've wanted to do but haven't actually gotten around to working on much because I'm committed to ZULU TOTAL WAR. One is actually still here and I DO have the map for it and a plan for it but its on hold for the time being. Check out WAR OF AUSTRIAN SUCCESSION TOTAL WAR (ie. The WASP Mod) - this actually covers the period from 1735 (War of Polish Succession) to 1775 (just before the American Revolution). The map (only Europe unfortunately - I REALLY wanted to include North America but I'm clean out of cities/provinces!!)

The other one focuses on France and would have been called Sun King/Ne Plus Ultra Total War - you'd take control of one of the great families of France - Bourbon, Bourbon-Conde, Guise-Grammont, Rohan-Soubise, du Plessis-Richelieu - and strive to build up your lands and culture while defending yourself against/ally with the ff: Spanish Frontier - Spanish Imperial - British - Holy Roman Empire - Brunswick-Luneberg - United Netherlands - Prussia - Saxony - Bavaria - Danes - Swedes. Focus here is not building 'towns' but 'estates' w/c represent your power base. This would have been lovely to model and skin and since it uses Rome TW and is in the pike and shot era there won't be too many changes to the phalanx/archer dichotomy. I've always envisioned this one as a cross between a TW game, Cyrano de Bergerac/Three Musketeers and Sid Meier's PIRATES where you can recruit your own private armies and guards and fight wars with your rivals as well as protecting France from her foes.

Anyways, if you're interested in doing the former... :)

Lord Clare

dclare4
09-15-2005, 04:39
WASP should still be around here... the setup is actually similar:

Senate:
Holy Roman Empire (but more representative of the greater Empire and the Kreis)
Brutii, Scipii, Julii:
Hapsbergs (Maria Theresa and Charles of Lorraine)
Guelphs (George of Hanover and England)
Bavaria (the Blue King)

Other factions included:
France
Russia
Prussia
Spain
Portugal
Piedmont-Savoy
Scandinavia
Ottoman Empire

I'm of the philosophy that you should go in depth in one era like in Shogun TW rather than spreading yourself thin over a prolonged period like in Medieval TW.

Once again :) the map is done :)
Lord Clare

dclare4
09-15-2005, 06:37
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30865&page=3&pp=30

Some pics...
Lord Clare

Mr Jones
09-15-2005, 12:50
i really like this idea. unfortunately i am also one of those who does not hav the spare time to help you, but i will keep my eye on your progress and will DEFINITELY play it wen completed

cheers

Cesare diBorja
09-15-2005, 18:11
dclare4,

Your idea is very sound to me. I am very into Frederick the Great. I have been studying this period off and on for ten years now and very intensely for the last year. I have resources galore on the period and I am reviewing all the scripts at this time before graphic modification begins to see if I can expand the game. Such as adding a third weapon, adding an artillery piece to a regiment. Adding grenadiers or light infantry to a regiment. Seventeenth century artillery effects like cannister and grape-shot. I have seen the exploding shell demonstrated in the cannon mod. Just exploring hte game right now to see what can be done......

This could be alot of fun.............

diBorgia

P.S. What would you need me for.........? I suppose we can combine our efforts.........

dclare4
09-16-2005, 03:00
Buongiorno Cesare (did I get that right?)

Definitely! I don't want this mod to die - I worked hard on that darn map darnit!! ~;) At this point I'm committed to ZTW but I would want to keep the thread here alive through discussion. Alt Fritz, Maria Theresa, de Saxe, Cumberland, Brunswick, et al are definitely supposed to be IN so I think you'll find our interests converge there :)

I really wanted to include North America and possibly India but the way things went I can barely include all the major cities. The map is based sort of on a game map of the period modded from a Napoleonic wars boardgame. I can make it move about 50 spaces right, so that real naval combat can take place. Ah, what I would give for even TEN more province/regions so I can include the British Caribbean, Spanish Caribbean, Southern Colonies, Eastern Colonies (NY/NJ/PA), Virginia and the Western Territories (VA, PA, OH), New England and Canada (Quebec, Montreal, Louisberg, Ticonderoga). Unfortunately no such luck so we're stuck with Europe.

Let's discuss and share ideas! Would sure love to team up with you.

Lord Clare (Harlechman)

P.S.
Clare here is after Daniel O'Brien, Comte de Clare, Irish general in the service of France and a 'Wild Geese'

SuperTW
09-17-2005, 14:32
euh qui est Français ???

Good luck for the "Early Modern Total War" mod.

Cesare diBorja
09-18-2005, 19:58
Bonjour, SuperTW

Bien, merci, mon ami. Jusqu'a ca, c'est une 'piece'.

Cesare

Sentinel79
09-18-2005, 21:03
Hey this is the Kris-man. Give me a call.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=926467#
Cool

Divinus Arma
09-19-2005, 00:37
This should be nice.

dclare4
09-20-2005, 02:54
Actually not hehehe (not Irish either) ... but I love the era.

Comte de Clare (Harlechman)

SuperTW
09-20-2005, 07:34
Salut, es-tu moddeur ??? Car j'ai fait des tutos en Français pour les nouveaux moddeurs si tu aurais des problèmes avec "the english langage".

Bonne chance.

GoreBag
09-20-2005, 08:39
Salut, es-tu moddeur ??? Car j'ai fait des tutos en Français pour les nouveaux moddeurs si tu aurais des problèmes avec "the english langage".

Bonne chance.

Que veux-tu dire, "the english language"?

dclare4
09-20-2005, 10:06
Hi there Sentinel,

Would you be interested in helping out particularly with skinning and stuff? There are a truckload of utterly gorgeous uniforms just waiting to be skinned and you can pick and choose your area/country of specialization. The idea is we just get going. I'm thinking we can use the Greek Archer dude (the one with the round wide brimmed hat) to represent the tricorned hordes of Europe.

I envision something as great to look at as Cossacks but with morale rules and better strategic options.

Cheers,
Comte de Clare

dclare4
09-20-2005, 10:07
If you've not already done so check out:

http://vial.jean.free.fr/new_npi/

An absolutely magnificent site on the period.

Enjoy,
Comte de Clare

SuperTW
09-20-2005, 18:28
@NeonGod bin s'il aurait quelque problème de traduction car tu peux comprendre l'anglais mais tu peux pas le comprendre dans ta langue maternelle.

GoreBag
09-20-2005, 19:20
Dans ma langue maternelle? Bin, j'ne comprends pas ceci!

SuperTW
09-21-2005, 18:04
Bin, tout le monde ne connait pas parfaitement l'Anglais autant que ça langue maternelle, les tutos pour modder je les ai traduit pour ceux qui ne comprennent l'Anglais, donc si Cesare a du mal avec l'Anglais il peut aller voir la traduc.

Comprendo ???

Cesare diBorja
09-22-2005, 06:11
mon ami, il y a une site en francais a www.twcenter.net. allez d'ici a la. Vous trouveriez ce que vous cherchez. bien. bon chance!

Cesare diBorgia.

oublie l'autre personne ici.

voici la site: http://www.totalwar.fr/

reste en touche

Cesare diBorja
10-05-2005, 06:04
Don't how know to put the render here but I have a Musketeer skin for an Archer model, complete with the tricorn hat.~:confused: I would like to show y'all the biz but, alas, as kinda a newbie, I don't know how, Shukky-darnits.

Cheers

diBorgia

Got one for Fusilier and Grenadier and GardeGrenadiers as well.

Let me know if y'all can help..........?

Sundjata Keita
10-05-2005, 16:38
Use www.imageshack.com to host the image and then here insert the filepath into and

Is this mod now joined with the wasp mod (war of austrian succession period)

Cesare diBorja
10-05-2005, 21:10
Yes, my images are paper-mache next to yours, though. I plan on making the models at least as good as yours someday. I think you will find these images likeable though. Haven't drawn the guns yet, but, you'll get the idea. Of course more work needs to be done. I have merged this project with WASP.
It has the dsame goals. Thank, Sunjeita.

diBorgia

Sundjata Keita
10-05-2005, 22:53
Great! Then I guess I can show you this

https://img123.imageshack.us/img123/615/mousequetoireshow5ah.jpg

He's a French mousequetoire, obviously the weapon still needs to be changed, DeLancey did the skin, me the model.

Regards,

Sundjata

Cesare diBorja
10-06-2005, 22:37
Dear Sunjata,

This character looks more like a guard cuirassier of King Louis XV. French musketeers had royal-blue, baby-blue, blue-gray or cream(and/or straw) over-coats and pantalons with a cream or straw waistcoat, red or blue turnbacks, lapels, cuffs. Black tri-cornered hats, with a cream, white, or gold colored rim. Cream bread bag, cream shoulder bag, and a black ammo case with a fleur-de-lis in gold gilt on it. This is a bare bones description. Examples of these can be seen in 'Barry Lyndon' and 'Last of the Mohicans' amongst others.

I am still trying to use the imageshack.com stuff, but , I have been having more fun making Cuirassiers for the most of Europe. Prussians were the first focus but I have branched out and even made french soldiers. Like I said in the earlier posts, once the modeling and skinning got started it would go quick. Need to start on the weapons. Researching cannons, howitzers and mortars. Cavalry is a 'cinch' due to the fact they looked very much like infantry during this period. Probably will use spline tech for making muskets.

Cheers,

diBorgia

dclare4
10-07-2005, 00:19
He's not a line musketeer but a descendant of the legendary 'three musketeers', the elite Mousquetaires du Roi w/c were part of the Maison du Roi. This particular chap actually hails from the Bourbon Restoration of 1814 but it can easily be converted (I think) to a tricorne wearing 1740's incarnation.

Cheers,
Comte de Clare (Harlechman)

Cesare diBorja
10-08-2005, 00:48
Oh!
Currently going over the French. Why do they have to make the image shack crap so diificult? I get turned off every time I try. Boring? Other suggestions? Guess I'll try again.

They have alot of different types of troops.............................!

diBorgia:charge:

dclare4
10-09-2005, 08:37
So do the Prussians and other Germanic states ~;) I'm trying to remember where I saw these prints of all these Prussian troops. If you look well and hard - try specific battles or uniforms or regiments - theres a LOT on the WASP.

Cheers,
Comte de Clare

Lord Winter
10-14-2005, 00:50
I am willing to help.

I cant model or skin but i can do some minor scripting and willing to learn more (scripting) and do some research.

Cesare diBorja
10-14-2005, 17:10
Great, Destroyer of Hope(DoH),

Take a look at what it takes to change factional faces to eighteenth century equivalents. I'll send you a PM. Those factions are mentioned above also confer with dclare4 and Sundjata Keita. WilKommen, mein freund.

Lord Winter
10-17-2005, 03:01
Great, Destroyer of Hope(DoH),

Take a look at what it takes to change factional faces to eighteenth century equivalents.

do you mean the portraits of family members?

Cesare diBorja
10-22-2005, 20:35
No, DoH,

I mean all the scripts including the write-ups on their territories. For all things the say Senate or S.P.Q.R. must now say Reichsimperial, get it. Not just images but the whole picture.

As for pictures I have gotten one of my images at the image-shack but I don't know how to upload it to the org. This has taken up way to much of my time today so I am giving up on it. You all may just have to wait for a release to see what's up. Sorry, my time is precious. Figuring everything out for myself is never fun. of [IMG/], where is it?

Y'all can view this image........
[IMG]http://www.photoworks.com/util/slideShow.jsp;jsessionid=1CDC0E6FD380755F315AFDF5FFF73F87?stackID=38163715&cb=PW&svr=web23&showShare=true&showPrints=true&showBooks=true&title=View%20Large%20Photo&startIndex=0

diBorgia

Lord Winter
10-23-2005, 05:35
No, DoH,

I mean all the scripts including the write-ups on their territories. For all things the say Senate or S.P.Q.R. must now say Reichsimperial, get it. Not just images but the whole picture.

I understand

Cesare diBorja
10-27-2005, 02:14
Reading that quote makes me sound like a b****. Apologies, DoH. I was more frustrated with the imageshack matter.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
10-27-2005, 05:32
Reading that quote makes me sound like a b****. Apologies, DoH. I was more frustrated with the imageshack matter.

No problem

Here is a faction list. If there are any mistakes please notify me.

{ST_JULII} Prussia
{ST_BRUTII} Bavaira
{ST_SCIPII} The Kingdom of Austria and Hungray
{ST_SENATE} The Reich Empire
{ST_MACEDON} Denmark-Norway
{ST_EGYPT} The Barbary Coast
{ST_SELEUCID} Imperial Russia
{ST_CARTHAGE} The United Proviances
{ST_PARTHIA} The Kingdom of Protugal
{ST_PONTUS} Sweden
{ST_GAULS} Kindom of Two Sicilies
{ST_GERMANS} Switzerland
{ST_BRITONS} Great Britain
{ST_ARMENIA} The Kingdom of Portugal
{ST_DACIA} The Kingdom of Bavaria
{ST_GREEK_CITIES} France
{ST_NUMIDIA} Duchy of Venice
{ST_SCYTHIA} The Ottaman Empire
{ST_SPAIN} Spain
{ST_THRACE} Kingdom of Saxony and Poland
{ST_SLAVES} Rebels

Cesare diBorja
10-28-2005, 19:14
Rockin', DoH,

I couldn't have done it better myself!
If you would now go over descr.senate and other formats after that and make changes to themif you have any questions contact me and I will assist. I am right now looking at artillery and buildings(models and skins) for the game. If progress goes well this mod could be done sooner than later.

The hope is to have it done by this coming late spring or summer. The modeling process hasn't been too hard at all.

diBorgia

Evil_Maniac From Mars
11-09-2005, 02:56

"Reich" and "Empire" mean the same thing...

Cesare diBorja
11-09-2005, 04:22
yep, mainly put it that way for everyone to understand!~;p

Lord Winter
11-18-2005, 05:19
Maybe we should post something in mod discussion for recruiting. Could use a few more scripters and historians.

Cesare diBorja
11-24-2005, 03:01
Ok, DoH,

You are the Man of the Hour. Do it up!

I am busy having a baby or rather my significant other is.
I'll be away until Friday. Luck and Peace, and many Thanks to the Universe for the Life I have been granted.

diBorgia

SwordsMaster
11-25-2005, 14:07
Ok, DoH,

I'll be away until Friday. Luck and Peace, and many Thanks to the Universe for the Life I have been granted.

diBorgia

Congratulations!!! May they both be in good health!~:cheers: :bow:

Lord Winter
11-25-2005, 18:49
Ok, DoH,

diBorgia
Congratulations best of luck too all of you

Lord Winter
12-01-2005, 02:00
Is their something else I can work on while I research what I can rename the senate offices to?

An idea for economy:
During early modern times many countries were beginning to buy resources instead of just developing them (building a mine or more farms ect). To simulate this, a building could be scripted to give a certain bonus for an price per turn. For example: if a player wanted to increase there growth they could construct a building which would signify a certain amount of grain per turn being bought by giving the player a bonus. The script would then deduct the gold out of the player’s treasury. I am Sorry if this is a little confusing.
DoH

Cesare diBorja
12-02-2005, 10:05
Yes. DoH.

Feel free to work on anything you chose. For now research is paramount. We, all, don't know how much we can work this system. A gradual process which has certain fruits already laid bare. We can only progress by any advanced thinking on your part or anyone else's. I have some neat ideas I should like to convey to you, at some point. Be well.

My daughter is healthy and literally the most beautiful baby in the world(I try to say this without bias, I am a changed man. A happy man.) Mother and daughter are very well, indeed. My thanks to you all for your goodwishing.

diBorgia

Cesare diBorja
12-12-2005, 05:13
Destroyer of Hope,

Perhaps we should look at factional personalities.

France-sneaking negotiator
Prussia-warfaring with medium to heavy infantry, heavy cavalry
Hungary-light infantry and cavalry
Russia-mass forces, heavy infantry and cavalry

and so on....................................

I will go to the site that outlines factional personalities. I suggest you do the same and then we can correlate personalities based on our collective knowledge of the era.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
12-13-2005, 01:27
a few factions
Dutch: Traders
Britain: Naval with well disciplined infantry
Sweden: Well disciplined and trained troops strong and mobile artillery and Calvary
will research and add more indepth faction personalities.

Cesare diBorja
12-13-2005, 05:17
Spain; durable naval power, light infantry, elite troops, heavy diplomacy, rich faction........................also in control of Spanish Netherlands.

Portugal; traders(major), diplomatic, small elite force, light infantry(militia), strong navy.

Italian Principalities(Piedmont-Savoy-Sardinia, Two Sicilies, Venice, Genoa); Elite Foot Guards and Dragoons(fire from horseback), light infantry and rifles(Fusilieri et Carabinieri), small but effective fleets.

I have also worked out stats for most of the units to be used in game. These stats should guarantee long fights with moderately low casualty rates(never more than 40% casualties).

Cheers, Destroyer of Hope

diBorgia

P.S. It would be cool if CA would come out with its moddong tools for modders in the collectives. Its long overdue. Hard to find anyone to live up to their promises or be cooperative, even generous. I know its about the 'Benjamins', but their 'diplomacy ensures nothing resembling loyalty. I am not loyal, just a patron. This game can do so much more than what is presented. It's a loss to everyone for a profit margin. They could maximize their sales if they gave a little more.

P.S.2 More specifically, prisoners and interfactional marriage, this game needs that. I wonder if a script could be written. I'll look into that.

dclare4
12-13-2005, 12:25
Second that... they shouldn't take out stuff in other games that isn't broken....

Clare

SwordsMaster
12-13-2005, 17:00
Spain; durable naval power, light infantry, elite troops, heavy diplomacy, rich faction........................also in control of Spanish Netherlands.

Portugal; traders(major), diplomatic, small elite force, light infantry(militia), strong navy.

I beg to disagree here. Spain had probably the only professional standing army of the period, and its light infantry was not more or less important than in any other nations' armies. Spain did have light infantry but that was not their main strength. I think, to reflect properly the experience and organisation of spanish armies all troops that composed a "tercio" should start with extra experience and all of them should be "organised".

Spain was The power in western Europe up until the battle of Rocroi (in 1648?) which marked its death and the rise of France as the major power.

Spanish diplomacy was actually quite arrogant and severe, due mostly to the fear that the empire inspired. Spain, also controlled the kingdom of Naples and had sacked and occupied Rome in the early XVI century.

As of Portugal, it had a Very strong navy. So strong that the land forces only needed to be average to bring portuguese rule to Africa, Asia and Brazil.
Portugal, BTW was a richer nation than Spain as it traded with China and Japan, something that Spain never did, and also because it didn't have to sustain as many costly wars. During some periods, the King of Spain had to borrow money from portuguese bankers to be able to sustain the fighting with the Dutch rebels.

I understand that the limitations of the engine will prevent you from showing a strong Portugal, as it would require a world map rather than just a European one, and the navies are not as powerful in RTW as they should be, but nevertheless you should keep as close as possible to what happened.

The Dutch relied heavily on mercenaries (mostly english and french) paid with english gold and protected by english fleets in the Channel.

BTW, if you need further information on Spain and Portugal (specially Spain) I will gladly give you a hand.

Lord Winter
12-13-2005, 17:24
As of Portugal, it had a Very strong navy. So strong that the land forces only needed to be average to bring portuguese rule to Africa, Asia and Brazil.

Portugal, BTW was a richer nation than Spain as it traded with China and Japan, something that Spain never did, and also because it didn't have to sustain as many costly wars. During some periods, the King of Spain had to borrow money from portuguese bankers to be able to sustain the fighting with the Dutch rebels.

I understand that the limitations of the engine will prevent you from showing a strong Portugal, as it would require a world map rather than just a European one, and the navies are not as powerful in RTW as they should be, but nevertheless you should keep as close as possible to what happened.
We could maybe represent this with buildings. Some where like this:
Trade rout requires docklevelX and marketlevelX. along with maybe another building gold could then be given by building effect or script symbolizing the trade gained by the colony or trade rout. As for borrowing money i would love to find someway to get it in to the game but the engine as you said presents problems. Maybe this could also be done by a script similer to the trade routs one. In fact we should probably aim for as new as an economy system as possible within coding.
DoH

Bleda
12-16-2005, 06:40
sorry to intervene late into your thread, but what is EM: Total War based on or at least what is it all about? Like Medieval or reniasance adaption to the RTW engine?

Lord Winter
12-16-2005, 16:20
Early modern Total war is based off the period of early modern europe which is between the rennisance and nepolien. The first era of our mod will be in the elightiment from around 1718-1787

Cesare diBorja
12-16-2005, 20:49
I often wonder, too, if the disparagement between nations dealing with their currency could be represented. This option would clearly show the wealth of nations(ecu$3.75, florin$6.75, livre$1.75, ducat$6.25, pound$25.00, gulden$5.25, guilder$$5.25, franc$1.25) circa1640-1750.

I am amazed CA has made no notion of the differences in currency throughout the ages. It would be a simple script. The power a nation has could be represented in this sort of way.

Swordmaster; I will not argue with your knowledge of Spain and Portugal in the early modern era, knowing of you from the Napoleonic website. I will perhaps come to you for very specific knowledge from time to time. Thank you.

Merry Xmas to all:san_smiley:

diBorgia

Lord Winter
12-18-2005, 00:12
We need to look at our start date again. Our options

1718: What we have right now as the end date. It marked the ending of a series of wars against France that established Britten as a major power. This date also marked the end of British forces operating on the mainland until the time of Napoleon. In the north it is 3 years until the end of the great northern war which established Russia as a major power and ended sweden's Baltic dominance.

End of the great northern war, all of the dominant European powers for the 18th century had established their dominance except for Prussia. Resulting in their defeat in the great northern war Sweden is no longer a large power.

Austria and France have already been established as the major powers of Europe along with Sweden. The great northern war had just started. In the west Britten and her allies were in the middle of the series of wars against France. I prefer this date due to the fact that the political shape of the 18th century wasn't decided yet.

As for the idea of different currencies that may be able to scripted in.
One of our goals for this mod should be to reform the economy and recruiting system as much as in limits of hard coding.

DoH

Cesare diBorja
12-18-2005, 22:55
I agree it should be 1700 as well, it is the true beginning of the early modern era. The pike had been mainly put to rest and there was no longer a reliance on cavalry to be the main arm. Rather it was infantry and literally how any you could field for skirmish and volley fire that determined the day(until the day of the tank, newest cavalry form, and already in the U.S. becoming obselete again). At the end of the Nine Years' War, Britain's generals had seen no other reason for the pike to be afield as it tended to cause more casualties.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
12-21-2005, 02:03
Cesare diBorja do you have any experiance with animations?

Cesare diBorja
12-22-2005, 23:59
I have some but not much. I have video tutorials from 3dsmax on how to work the whole system; the matter is time and how best to use it. I have been making models and skins so far and exploring the scripts for details of what needs to be changed. I have not been looking into animation all that hard. I will, of course, do that if you wish?

diBorgia

Lord Winter
12-23-2005, 00:27
Keep working on the models and skins if you want or look into the animations. Curently i am working on the scripts and historical research. Right now I am just trying to get an idea on what we still need team wise.

Cesare diBorja
12-23-2005, 00:36
There are at least two on this end(modeling, skinning, possible animations). I did some animations work with NTW1 after it was released from the NTW folks, I simply changed some animations of theirs. I have done limited work with 3dsmax and none for RTW.

diBorgia

Cesare diBorja
01-06-2006, 11:04
It would be reallu cool to make horsemen have animations where they are firing their carbines from horseback. I think I will have a look at doing some of that.

Lord Winter
01-20-2006, 07:12
The building upkeep script is almost ready and i hope to post a brief faction history of Sweden (will not be used in game) sometime this week.
DoH

Cesare diBorja
01-20-2006, 08:53
Sweet, DoH;

I have been busy with school. I have pondered making a whole new basic model, or set of models for BI. The spline tech in 3dmax7 is quite good so I plan to have faces that show emotion, rounded body parts. I am even looking into whether or not true damaged can be represented in-game(loss of arms, legs, head) also loss of hats, dropping weapons, etc. All very long and tedious work, but the end benefits will be so sweet(ahh, the pipe dreams). Wish me luck, this is truly a hobby now.

diBorgia

P.S. I will try to post my images from basic RTW. They're good but far from perfect, far from what I wish to represent.

Cheers:book:

richyg13
01-20-2006, 15:00
Any musket related animations i get to work im heppy to share to this mod, ive been playing with them but cant get anything to work in game yet. Our mod operates either side of your mod with the main difference being able to play over the entire world, not just europe. (note all the images and stuff in my sig are kinda out of date :P)
I've made a spanish swordsman recently which may have some relavence to your mod if u want it. its not finished... ill post u an updated image soon, suffering from photoshop not saving the alpha channel properly.

Cesare diBorja
01-20-2006, 16:51
Hey, Thanks, richyg13,

Happy to have the help. I am sure we can work together on the respective mods to accomplish a great deal. Let me know if I can assist with your mod in some way.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
01-21-2006, 08:04
1. Great Britain
2. France
3. Spain
4. Sweden
5. Denmark-Norway
6. Prussia
9. Duchy of Venice
12. Genoese Republic
14. Imperial Russia
15. The Ottaman Empire
18. Switzerland
21. The Barbary Coast
There is a hard coded problem here. One faction has to be rebel and since we are porting over to BI the hard coded limit is tightend to under 21 factions including rebels. So if we get rid of the senate we still have 20 factions but that still leaves one more to take out at the very least.
DoH

Cesare diBorja
01-21-2006, 15:31
The only two I can think of are Hanover and Bavaria(Reich Empire) as these two were insignificant in the time of the Seven Years' War. England had control of the one and Austria the other. My suggestions are, however, purely academic and not to offend anyone.

You choose, DoH

diBorgia

Lord Winter
01-25-2006, 05:10
The only two I can think of are Hanover and Bavaria(Reich Empire) as these two were insignificant in the time of the Seven Years' War. England had control of the one and Austria the other. My suggestions are, however, purely academic and not to offend anyone.

You choose, DoH

diBorgia
I would have to do some more research on both to see which to cut.

Building upkeep is finished and i am thinking of moving onto currency or even seeing if i could make the prices of buying grain (see above post) change due to supply and demand. I don't think the prisoners script is possible due to the fact that we cant tell which units are in the stack that is going into battle.

Cesare diBorja
01-26-2006, 18:14
The new models are somewhat slow-going but proceeding well. The only other factions would be to close down 'Two Sicilies' and/or Genoa Republic and leave them as free or rebel states if you find it hard to reconcile Bavaria or Hanover not to be in the game.

Cheers

diBorgia

Have you looked into 'Medieval Total War 2' yet?

Lord Winter
01-27-2006, 02:32
Have you looked into 'Medieval Total War 2' yet?
It looks good, but for the mod i think we should get a version out on Rome first. When it comes out and the rome version is finished IMHO we should move over, Kind of like a EMTW2

dclare4
01-27-2006, 13:26
Well if you guys will be waiting for MTW2 why not make the mod a bit smaller in scope rather than Europe wide perhaps just western Europe so you can get some more detail in there. I don't know, I'm more of the persuation that you should go in depth over a smaller area and lengthen a shorten period of time rather than generalize.

Here's something I'd suggest - it's easier than most because it uses most of the pre-existing tech including phalanx formations, pure missile (as opposed to missile and melee) troops and armour.

Sun King Total War

Players take one of the leading factions and struggle to win the favor of the king while expanding France's glory - or they can strive to tear it down as one of the rivals of France such as William of Orange, the Great Elector of Brandenburg or the Holy Roman Emperor. Time period from the accession of the boy king to his twilight during the era of Marlborough. Only Western Europe will be represented (notable exceptions will be the Polish, Ottoman and Swedish 'horde' factions). The game system can then be adapted to other places and similar periods like the 30 years war or the Spanish succession specifically. This time boasts glorious visuals (he's not the Sun King for nothing!) on the field and in the cities.

SUGGESTED FACTIONS
The House of Bourbon-Conde (Prince de Conde, Duc de Enghien and the royal cousins)
The House of Guise (Duc de Guise, Duc de Grammont)
The House of Montmorenci (Duc de Montmorenci)
The House of Caumont (Duc de Lauzun)
The House of Fouquet (Marquis de Belle Isle)
The House of the Cardinal Duc (Richelieu, Mazarin)
The House of Savoy (Prince de Savoy)

RIVAL DYNASTIC HOUSES
Hapsburg (HRE)
Guelph (Hanover)
Orange (Netherlands)
Hohenzollern (Brandenburg)
Stuart (England and Scotland)
Albertine (Saxony)
Bayern (Bavaria)
Hapsburg of Spain (Spain and Portugal)

OFFMAP INVADERS
The Scots Highlanders
The English Parliamentarians
The Irish
The Swedes
The Poles
The Ottoman Empire

Each faction must build up their own 'estate' ultimately gaining royal favor while discovering military innovations to bring them from the renaissance into the modern military world. This was a time of great experimentation and different systems were in play including the Spanish Tercio, Swedish Brigade, Dutch Battalion, English Regiment. Find out which was the best on the battlefield. The main battle area should stretch from Northern Spain to the Rhine states including Hanover and Bavaria as well as Southern England. Great battles of the era include Rocroi, The Dunes, Killiecrankie, Marsaglia and once your basic system is in place it's not much work to change France into the English Civil War, the Scottish Covenanter Wars, the League of Augsburg or Wars of Devolution or even the Thirty Years War by changing some small details and the basic factions (for example all the German States plus France, Spain and Sweden for a Thirty Years War set).

Some refs:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mcnelly/vb/ammendments/nine_years_war.htm
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mcnelly/vb/index/index_scenario_18th.htm
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mcnelly/vb/campaigns/Monmouth_1685.htm

Just a thought, do with it what you will...
de Clare

Cesare diBorja
01-27-2006, 23:55
Frankly, I'm tired of pikes, swords(in the classic sense), axes and seiges engines. Practically bored to tears. The rome and medieval thing is over done in my opinion. I play Dacia now as they and the other barbarian states closely match early modern combat styles. I just wanna use the musket and the bayonet, saber, pickaxe, and cannon. Sorry, Chap.

It's a good idea its just far from what I want to do with my time.

Thanks anyway, dclare4!:2thumbsup:

diBorgia

Lord Winter
01-28-2006, 19:09
The options as i see them
1) wait until MTWII and do a huge amount of research over the spring and summer then start modding when it comes out,
2) just work on the 18th century then go MTWII when it's finished
3) focus on one war or person
4) Stay with the original timeframe 1618-1787
I personally prefer 2

Cesare diBorja
01-29-2006, 17:08
1, 2 and 4 work for me. I would like to continue as I have work out unit schemes and am now looking into building research. Modelling is slow and steady as ever. I want to have a number of different faces and body styles by the time MTW2 comes out. I like that 'blood and mud' have been incorporated into the game. Maybe CA will give multiple hit points to personnel now and make weapons do a varying degree of dammage, for instance a musketball could do 1-5 points of damage, where 5 is the maximum a person can take. Also, I like the fact that horse and/or man can be lost, but, the possibility of a counterpart surviving is also likely. I wonder, thirdly, if they'll have civilians in the rural and urbans settings to add to the chaos of battle. They are beginning to invoke my interest beyond the norm. I am actually feeling like they may come through this time.

diBorgia

p.s. What about an script that allows a player to modify unit type and strength, weapon type and uniform. So you could have a grenadier battalion(60-100personnel) that uses musket/bayonet and a pickaxe(classic pioneer unit). They could be used to hack throuh a farmhouse wall or hack through a fortress wall. Or maybe a grenadier company(14-20persons) that uses the fusil(more accurate musket)/bayonet and they also throw three to six grenades(Austrian, Prussian, Russian fact).(?)

p.s.2 How about a script that allows you to attach and detach units from other units, hence a musketeer regiment has two battalions of musketeers, two companies of grenadiers and an infantry company that mans two 3pdr or 4pdr cannons or Coehorn howitzers, but also you could subdivide these units into platoons.(?)

Lord Winter
01-29-2006, 18:04
1 could work as separate unit types no script. 2. i don't think is possible

Lord Winter
01-29-2006, 18:49
I agree Hanover should be cut it was basically just the king of England's old land in the Holy roman empire.
Edit we should probably include Poland in there to. They played an important part in the great northern war.

Cesare diBorja
01-29-2006, 21:11
I forget which year the Saxons Kings became Polish leaders. The Poles and Saxons were one nation in the easrly part of the 18th C. I planned to make them one faction.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
01-30-2006, 22:10
If we want to include Prussia we have to move our start date up one more year to 1701 when it became a kingdom.

The Saxons held the throne at the start of our time period but lost it due to Swedish invasion in the great northern war in 1704. It was regained five years latter in 1709.

What if we used traits to represent the general economic shape of the country. By a verity of factors such as supply and demand, wars, farming ect.

Cesare diBorja
02-01-2006, 22:26
Not necessarily. The 'Great Elector' (a Hohenzollern)was essentially the ruler of Brandenburg and joined the nobility of the Prussians(noble leftovers of the Teutonic Knights). All the more reason to research this out more. I do like the idea of factions being royal families as opposed to states. I just wonder how we'll be able to make them join with rebel states(princesses and the like). Electors were still rulers by right. Perhaps we can work this in.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
02-02-2006, 01:36
A very brief history of Sweden during our time period. I will expand it as i get more information

Ever since the days of Gustavus Adpholus, Lion of the North, Sweden had been the dominant Baltic power. But with the accession of the young king, Charles XII Poland-Lithunia, Denmark and Russia formed an alliance to exploit Charles inexperience. The campaign opened with large Swedish success. But due to military reforms in Russia and Swedish over extension, Russia led by Peter the Great eventually gained the upper hand. In 1721 Sweden signed a peace treaty giving away most of there Baltic territories to Russia and there allies marking the end of Swedish hegemony. What followed was an age of constitutional monarchy known as the Age of Liberty. Sweden’s king was reduced to a puppet by the Swedish parliament. Sweden gradually disappeared from the global scene.

Lord Winter
02-04-2006, 20:38
What i am thinking for economic conditions
Size of market
Port present? size of port
tax rates
maybe new building representing civilian manufacturing?
----------------------------
Any other ideas?

Cesare diBorja
02-05-2006, 05:24
I just spent time in class mapping out a buildings list which I will pm to you for review. Let me know any other ideas you may have.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
02-11-2006, 21:48
Not necessarily. The 'Great Elector' (a Hohenzollern)was essentially the ruler of Brandenburg and joined the nobility of the Prussians(noble leftovers of the Teutonic Knights). All the more reason to research this out more. I do like the idea of factions being royal families as opposed to states. I just wonder how we'll be able to make them join with rebel states(princesses and the like). Electors were still rulers by right. Perhaps we can work this in.

diBorgia
I think that's a great idea. But like you said i don't know if we'll be able to script/code in princesses. Diplomacy is hard coded and getting the AI to use this feature at best will be a pain. But it would be a more accurate.

Heres what i have for the economic conditons so far

Trigger economy_good
WhenToTest CharacterEndTurn

Condition SettlementBuildingPresent= hinter_land roads
and SettlementBuildingPresent >= fourm
and EndedInSettlement

Affects econemy_good 100
and the actual trait

Trait GoodEconemy
Characters family
AntiTraits bad econemy

Level good_econemy
Description good_econemy_desc
Effects description good_econemy_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Affect_trade 10
Affect Tax 10

cegorach
02-15-2006, 14:15
[QUOTE=Destroyer of Hope]A very brief history of Sweden during our time period. I will expand it as i get more information

Ever since the days of Gustavus Adpholus, Lion of the North, Sweden had been the dominant Baltic power. But with the accession of the young king, Charles XII Poland-Lithunia, Denmark and Russia formed an alliance to exploit Charles inexperience. The campaign opened with large Swedish success.

Poland-Lithuania didn't join the alliance it was a private war of the elector of Saxony who happened to be the king of Poland and Lithuania. Unfortunatelly his private enterprise affected the Republic nonetheless. :book:

Just to explain one detail.

Good luck with the mod, but if you want to do something including 30-years war I can promise very tough competition. Pike and Musket TW 2 ends in 1700 after all :inquisitive:

Regards Cegorach :2thumbsup:

Lord Winter
02-21-2006, 03:11
Good luck with the mod, but if you want to do something including 30-years war I can promise very tough competition. Pike and Musket TW 2 ends in 1700 after all

That's why i think we should do a 1701- on campaign.

some ideas for traits

Admires the French: This man believes that the french had the right idea about government. +1 influence?

Admires Gustavus Adolphus This man has thoroughly studied the reforms of Gustavus Adolphus. +2 command +1 management

dclare4
02-23-2006, 02:31
Hi guys,

Been keeping track of EMTW... listen... In between modding ZTW I sometimes have time for other units. Like I did some Crimean War cavalry (11th Hussars and 2nd Dragoons) on a lark. And since I love this period I'd be more than willing to do textures and skins if you can do the models. I would recommend looking at the Sarmatian cavalry with their pith helmet type headgear for grenadiers and Greek archers for your line tricornes.

Just send me the models and I'll get to it.

best wishes,
Clare (Harlechman)

Cesare diBorja
02-26-2006, 10:48
OK, dclare4, I will send them this Sunday morning. Enjoy!

diBorgia

Oops need time to modify these models give me a week.
I have the tricorne/archer modified. Just need to modify the Pith-Sarmation Cavalry

TiFlo
02-27-2006, 11:22
Hi everybody!

I found this forum totally randomly, lurking around the TWC forum.
WOW! :dizzy2: What a great (wonderful, amazing, take whichever you want :laugh4: ) idea!

Though I have no competences in modding, and too few on scripting, if I may be of some use, I will be really pleased to give you guys a hand!

Keep it up :-)

Lord Winter
02-28-2006, 17:45
First off welcome to the org TiFlo

What we could use now is mainly research, but if you can think of anything else your wecome to work on it. I am researching sweden and prussia rght now so any other faction would be great.

TiFlo
03-01-2006, 01:13
Most of my knowledge turns around the British and the French armies from mid-XVIIIth century, especially the Brits.

I'm not sure which era you want, but I can do both countries from the War of Austrian Succession to the Seven Years War, maybe with some work extending it to the era from the War of Spanish Succession to the 1780's (American War of Independance) :inquisitive: .

What info do you want me to get (uniforms, units, regiments, tactics on battlefield, logistic, commanding system, recruiting system, battles, etc...)?

Let me know exactly, it shouldn't take much time to do :book: :laugh4:

P.S.: sorry for the maybe wrong spelling of the wars of succession, but since english is not my 1st language, that it's half past 1 in the morning and I've been up since 6AM, I am just too lazy to get into my books to check :laugh4:

Cesare diBorja
03-01-2006, 03:48
I am reseaching or have researched Prussian, Austrian, Russian, Polish, Saxon, Hessian, Hanoverian, Bavarian, Wurttemburger, de Ligne, Piedmont-Savoy,Two Sicilies, Danish, Dutch, Swedish and Ottoman units(c.1701-1763). I am glad to have you, TiFlo. I would that you familiarize yourself with 3DS MaX7, AND PHOTOSHOP 7. We need, of course, someone whom can design forts and fortresses and cities. We plan to expand this over to MTW2 when it arrives. Just 'play catchup' for now. It takes about three to six months to get up to speed. Our mod will go into the next year.

diBorgia

TiFlo
03-01-2006, 11:19
Hi Cesare diBorja,

So it's only about the XVIIIth century then?

I guess I must extend my researches so as to provide you guys as well with politic, diplomacy and social life of France and England. That' all right, I think I can handle that :2thumbsup: Is there any "checkboard" of what info you exactly need, just for me to know what exactly I look for?

BTW, how many of you are involved in this mod?

Final question: You want me to work on models? Uuuuuuh... :inquisitive:
I have neither 3DS Max7 nor Photoshop, and, except if I find it on the ground, I'll have to buy it, right? Then it might requires some time to get used to it (I'm really not a "math brain").

Lord Winter
03-01-2006, 17:44
Final question: You want me to work on models? Uuuuuuh...
I have neither 3DS Max7 nor Photoshop, and, except if I find it on the ground, I'll have to buy it, right? Then it might requires some time to get used to it (I'm really not a "math brain").
I don't have it either so its not that big of a deal. I do suggest you look at some of the tutorials in the Scriptorum on scripting.

BTW, how many of you are involved in this mod?
Me Cesare, declare4, and swordmaster is giving us some info on Spain.

Lord Winter
03-04-2006, 01:18
@Cesare are you're working on the actul campain map right? Any chance you could get me a list of setellment names for scripting purposes.

I wonder if theres a way to repersent imperaial elections. I guss i could always make a trait showing if you hold an electorship then have a script check for diplomatic standings then decide the election that way.

Cesare diBorja
03-06-2006, 10:49
Working on that now. Map is slow going. models even slower. got finals this week and then I can rest. I will get you a list asap. til then peace be unto you.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
03-07-2006, 17:49
There is a hard coded problem here. One faction has to be rebel and since we are porting over to BI the hard coded limit is tightend to under 21 factions including rebels. So if we get rid of the senate we still have 20 factions but that still leaves one more to take out at the very least.
DoH
I was mistaken here if we take out the senate we'll have enough faction slots with out having to remove Hanover.

some ideas for reforms in the 18th century

Prussia: The reforms of Fredrick I Trigger- date could be used or a high command star faction leader Effects: Very well trained infantry.

The reforms of Fredrick II Trigger: i think i defeat or close victory were the Prussian calvary faired rather badly would be good, as these reforms only happened to fix the short comings of the Prussian force in the first Selissen war. effect: better heavy calvary and artillery.

Russia-
The reforms of Peter the great- Trigger: Seeing Swedish Calvary on the field of battle maybe, and/or defeat at the hands of a faction with better Calvary/artillery. Effects: Greatly better Calvary, artillery recruitment and farming.

Sweden-
the reforms of Charles XII Trigger: Not sure possibly date Effects: Better recruitment, and economy.

Cesare diBorja
03-08-2006, 03:31
Excellent!

I think you are on the right track. However, just think, if they give us more fations to work with in the upcoming release, we may have to expand ourselves. Meeting; this Saturday 12pm PST for all members in the chat zone designated in your PMs'. TBA tonight. Good night and good luck.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
03-08-2006, 05:44
by the way good luck on finals :2thumbsup:

Cesare diBorja
03-08-2006, 23:48
hey thanks!:dizzy2: :balloon2: :2thumbsup: :sweatdrop:

SwordsMaster
03-13-2006, 11:26
Sorry, I didn't make it to the chat guys. HUGE presentation due this week and I had to do my research.

Just ask me for whatever you need.

Cesare diBorja
03-15-2006, 22:06
Our meeting was delayed due to chat zone afouling so we are looking into a different option.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
03-16-2006, 01:21
TiFlo do you want to start getting unit list together for the french and English armies? and maybe some trait ideas for there generals?

I'm currently working on the traits if anyone has traits or anclinary ideas please post.
Thanks DoH

TiFlo
03-16-2006, 11:07
All right then, first shot.

I tried to make a list for the Brits, according to what you guys have wrote (there are several posts, I won't quote them).

All units from 1700 to 1780's.

Infantry:
-Musketeers (basic line infantry).
-Grenadiers (if there is room enough, I stick to what has been said about the 3 types of grenadiers units: line bat., sapper comp., guard bat.).
-Foot guard bat. (elite musketeers).
-Light infantry (not before the 7 years war, as they were formed in order to counter the French & Indians in America).
-Scottish reg. (not commonly raised before the War of Austria succession), no better firepower than musketeers, but tougher guys.

Cavalry:
-Dragoons (common cav.).
-Horse reg. (elite heavy close quarter cav.).

Artillery:
This will depend on what different types are choosen, as you already proposed a lot.

As you see, there is not so many different kind of troops. Still we can add some, such as german reg. (AOR), as many of the british reg. were made of german soldiers, or sailors, as they where used (mainly in the colonies, but still) to man the artillery and carry on siege workshop.

Then we have to consider the british army, if not big, was one the most disciplined of that time (platoon system when deployed on battlefield), and that it was mainly designed for colonial warfare, so you should'nt see them by themselves on a european battlefield (maybe give them many AOR troops, according to their allies and the ownings of king George on the continent).

This is far from being exhaustive, feel free to correct everything :laugh4:

Concerning officers traits, I would have some, but (me apologize), they're all for officers who served in America (some served in Europe before, but of no great use)...

Pewe
03-16-2006, 21:27
A very brief history of Sweden during our time period. I will expand it as i get more information

Ever since the days of Gustavus Adpholus, Lion of the North, Sweden had been the dominant Baltic power. But with the accession of the young king, Charles XII Poland-Lithunia, Denmark and Russia formed an alliance to exploit Charles inexperience. The campaign opened with large Swedish success. But due to military reforms in Russia and Swedish over extension, Russia led by Peter the Great eventually gained the upper hand. In 1721 Sweden signed a peace treaty giving away most of there Baltic territories to Russia and there allies marking the end of Swedish hegemony. What followed was an age of constitutional monarchy known as the Age of Liberty. Sweden’s king was reduced to a puppet by the Swedish parliament. Sweden gradually disappeared from the global scene.
I can fix some swedish more history if you want. I know pretty much of this period of time in sweden and have some books I can take a closer look to it if it can be for any use.

Cesare diBorja
03-17-2006, 04:46
Awesome!

TiFlo
03-17-2006, 18:55
Here come the Frenchies.

Infantry:
-Musketeers (basic line infantry).
-Grenadiers (same as for the Brits).
-"Arquebusiers de Grassin" (light infantry, unique organized reg. of that type until late XVIIIst cent.).
-"Gardes Françaises" (French Guard, same as Foot guard for the Brits).
-"Gardes Suisses" (Swiss Guard, maybe similar or close stats as for the Scots).
-"Royal Ecossois" (French Scotish reg.).
-Irish reg. (not many, but used in battle, ie Fontenoy).
-"Compagnies Franches de la Marine" ("marines", mostly used as colonial infantry, they excelled in irregular warfare in America. Only used for garrison duty in ports in Europe).

Cavalry:
-Dragons (dragoons, main cav.).
-Cuirrassiers (heavy close quarter cav.).
-Hussars (lite cav.).

Artillery:
Still to be chosen...

Remarks: One of the main bases of the power of France by that time was its population. In order to reflect that manpower, I think France should be able to field more troops than other "factions" (at least, most of them), ie by lowering units cost, but as a balance to it, the battle stats of the infantry (musketeers, not elite troops) should also be lowered.

What do you guys think of this (and of my previous post to)?

Lord Winter
03-22-2006, 16:11
What do you guys think of this (and of my previous post to)? :2thumbsup:

I wonder if we should move our start date one up to past the Hanoverian succession to the English throne in 1702? That way we free up another faction slot.

Cesare diBorja
03-22-2006, 23:40
the finals are over, for health or detriment

I say go back to the start of the 'Nine Years' War'. Lets throw a few pikes in there for sh*** and giggles. I have seen the video from lord Adherbal at the Lordz site and I see potential. Yep! we can do this.

I am free for the next two weeks. lets get this thing on the road. Please.

I will be online tomorrow all day.
find me a monkeytool2000@yahoo.com..............yahoo messenger for live chat............for members and all serious persons. Every topic will be dicussed.

Cheerio
diBorgia

TiFlo
03-23-2006, 14:10
Tomorrow...?

Anyway, I'll try to be around today (thursday) by 5/6 pm (4/5 pm GMT).
Talk to you later.

EDIT: Uuuuh... I don't use Yahoo messenger... Anyway I can catch you by sth else?

TiFlo
03-30-2006, 13:03
Any progress?

I don't have much time right now, but I'm looking for french and english officers we could put in game. And beleive me or not, it's quite a pain to find even just a few good ones for both of these countries, especially the brits (as long as we stay to officers who served in Europe). Anyway, they'll just get a whole bunch of crappy lords and silly ducs and marquis to lead their armies :laugh4:

@Cesare,
I could have catched you on Yahoo messenger, I had bit of trouble due to my mailbox not working properly... :dizzy2:
It's all my mistake, I'll be here (100%) next time.

Cesare diBorja
04-04-2006, 00:05
http://https://img116.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img116%2F7061%2F1144566324t73.smilYes, let's try to meet again tomorrow. At 2pm PST.

diBorgia

Cesare diBorja
04-09-2006, 10:04
It surprises me that I cannot get that imageshack crap page to work for me and our attempts to meet have failed so I'll just just work on this myself for now. Later.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
04-15-2006, 19:53
I'm having more troubles then thought in sorting through the house/dynysty names then i thought. Some sites conflict on the names of France and Spain and some even say they are controled by the same house (Capet- Bourbon) any one have information on this?
What i currently have top is origanal list bottem one is work on converting the factions to housenames.
1. Great Britain
2. France
3. Spain
4. Sweden
5. Denmark-Norway
6. Prussia
7. The Kingdom of Austria-Hungary
8. Duchy of Venice
9. Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
10. Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia
11. Genoese Republic
12. Kingdom of Saxony and Poland
13. Imperial Russia
14. The Ottaman Empire
15. Hanover(The House of Brunswick)
16. The Kingdom of Portugal
17. Switzerland
18. The United Privinces
29. The Kingdom of Bavaria
20. The Barbary Coast

1. The House of Stuart at 1700
2. Capet- Bourbon
3. At 1700 CAPET-BOURBON
4. The House of Pfalz
5. The House of Oldenburg
6. The House of Hohenzollern
7. The Habsburgs
8. The House of Doge
9. The House of Anjou (unable to confirm)
10. Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia unable to find reliable information but said to be the House of Savoy can anyone confirm?
11. placeholder
12. The House of Saxony
13. The House of Romanov
14. Place Holder
15. The House of Brunswick
16. Place Holder
17. Place Holder
18. Place Holder
19. Place Holder
20. Place Holder

SwordsMaster
04-15-2006, 22:54
It is correct, from 1700 Philippe d'Anjou, a Borbon was the king of Spain following a war that ended in 1712. Before 1700 Spain was ruled by Habsburgs.

Cesare diBorja
04-16-2006, 00:04
I was using the archer as the basis for my model althoguh I was attempting to make a more acute model shape(for realism purposes) and I succeeded in dumping some info. Bear with me, as I still have the model, Just not the skin. I will find something other thean imageshack to put these images up with. They look nice but fine tuning is always at the advantage.

diBorgia

Lord Winter
04-20-2006, 01:30
We know have our own forum. http://s9.invisionfree.com/EarlyModern_TotalWar/ please bear with me since it's still work in progress.

Cesare diBorja
04-29-2006, 03:09
those who are still willing to help should go to the new website

TiFlo
05-11-2006, 18:34
I've done some research on the French army of Louis XV.

It's coming out quite nicely (very instructive informations about recruiting system, composition of the army, promotion of NCOs and field officers, etc...), but I need to put everything together.

I'll post them soon :book:

Cesare diBorja
06-01-2006, 13:31
I will posting info on German troop later today at the EMTW website. I want to start talking in earnest about finishing some preliminary models and skins. I lost a great deal of my earlier material to a computer crash so I am starting over.:juggle2:

diBorgia