PDA

View Full Version : Moding, total coversions and orginal game files.

giskard
09-08-2002, 12:41
Hello all.

I'd like to say a few words about the original files and the plans I know a lot of you have. Right now theres a lot of unknowns to figure out about MTW. For instance, I have been looking for a way to point to a custom text file and have it work within the game and failing.

I know barocca has been thinking along the same lines because I spotted his post on this subject.

Total Conversions are more than likely going to have to overwrite original game files to work. This could present problems if people install more than one mod or need the original text files to play online. So far I have been lucky because I have managed to keep my own mod in its own text file.

This worked by simply dropping it into the right directory. I am hoping this same system will work for other features too.

Anyway, I would like to highlight the need for some kind of custom file to use as a point file or header file for custom material that wont require us to overwrite original game files.

Now thats out of the way I would like to draw your attension to the loc/eng directory. Several text files in that directory have unused slots in them with text saying that they have been left blank for use by mod makers.

Rather than rewrite the original files I would like to suggest that where possible mod makers try adding their material to the end of the existing files in these free slots.

An example of this can be seen in startpos.txt in the directory loc/eng.

It doesnt solve all the problems but it may help your mod get played without the need for people to give up online play and other important factors.

Giskard

Lord Krazy
09-08-2002, 15:15
I'm not sure if I understand you corectly
so please bare with me.

You seem to be talking about making all the
"mods" compatible, but are u taking into
account animations ,because if you are
with our additions over the next year
alone the prod11 will need an infinitive
amount of space and so will your hard-disk
I can understand for the scripts but
not the animations and sometimes they
will go hand in hand.I'm trying to address
things to other folders too but even
if it works I still can't see how to get
around the whole thing without an install unistall proceedure,for large mods that will
include animations.Some of the mods could
be 20 to 50 megs. Where are you going to put
50 of them .

Hope this gives u an idea of how not easy
this is for me to figure out so if u
can or somebody else, I would and I'm sure
many others would be happy.

---------------------------------------------
thanks for the offer btw and I replied to
your "bif" request it's the tgas u want
Nagasushihaveasaci or something like that
is in charge of the campainge stuff so
I'll give him your e-mail and he will
let u know what he wants.
Cheers.

LK

giskard
09-08-2002, 21:42
I honestly doubt eveyr mod maker will be able to avoid these problems. Your Roman mod may be one of those. However if it is possible to avoid them I would honestly recommend we all try.

Right now MTW doesnt seem to lend it self very well to multiple mod installs unless the are totally seperate files from the original game files.

Which means we have to find a way to fix that our selves. Animations are a problem too. Not even looked at that side yet. However as i know your working on a roman mod I will of course let you know if I find the files that name the anims to use.

Giskard

Giskard

Lord Krazy
09-08-2002, 23:37
Have a look at my downloads for
the demo and the full version
way ahead of you that one mate.
hope its of some help
barroca has some nice stuff too.

LK

giskard
09-09-2002, 01:42