PDA

View Full Version : Whats a PBM?

Lord_Tamerial
09-01-2005, 19:34
Whats a PBM?

Craterus
09-01-2005, 19:35
Play-By-Mail.

A campaign is started by one user. They play out their turn (a turn could be ten years, or a certain amount of provinces to conquer) and then they mail it on to the next player.

Just realised how fast my response was. I'm like the ambulance, but for answering problems.

Lord_Tamerial
09-01-2005, 20:08
COOL!!! People can play campaign against other people. I thought it was only battles that can be played online. Sweet!!! ~:)

Craterus
09-01-2005, 20:19
No, you misunderstand.

It's like a singleplayer campaign. Say you decide to play Gaul with a group of friends. The first turn (Summer 270 BC) is yours. The next turn (Winter 270 BC) is your next friend, and then you keep passing it on. Obviously, you do it with larger turns, otherwise you don't really get to go anywhere..

SomeNick
09-02-2005, 07:03
Sounds great!

Where do I sign up?

And how is it run?

Thanks in advacne : )

econ21
09-02-2005, 13:10
There's a useful post by the Emperor in the sticky on how to do a PBM:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=467491&postcount=2

The first step is to start a thread asking people to sign up for a campaign and agreeing groundrules. PBMs kind of died a death with RTW - perhaps because the reigns are too long for people to play them out entirely. People settled on 10 year stints, but that lacked a certain je ne sais quoi compared to playing a full MTW reign.

There might be some interest in PBM again when BI and EB come out; trying a RTR PBM might also be interesting. (I've given up on vanilla in favour of RTR).

Craterus
09-02-2005, 13:31
I'd be interested in a PBM for BI, so perhaps we can organise that nearer the time. Maybe one of the Roman Empires would be fun.

econ21
09-02-2005, 13:44
I'd be interested in a PBM for BI, so perhaps we can organise that nearer the time. Maybe one of the Roman Empires would be fun.

Good idea - I'd also be interested, but it's best to wait nearer the time as people's circumstances change. One of the biggest problems with PBMs has been where they get held up by people having signed up for them but then finding real life intervenes and stops them playing when it comes around to their turn.

Lord_Tamerial
09-03-2005, 23:11
No, you misunderstand.

It's like a singleplayer campaign. Say you decide to play Gaul with a group of friends. The first turn (Summer 270 BC) is yours. The next turn (Winter 270 BC) is your next friend, and then you keep passing it on. Obviously, you do it with larger turns, otherwise you don't really get to go anywhere.. Oh...LOL, that still sounds like fun.