PDA

View Full Version : Rome Total Realism: Update Thread

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 06:20
ROME TOTAL REALISM

Okay well im sure most off you already know of this mod, but it seems there is a need to keep you guys posted. I am to say the Org P.R man for RTR, and have had permision to make this thread...

The site- http://www.rometotalrealism.org/, check the downloads section, and please vist our forums.

INTRO:

For those that dont know RTR is a mod that aims to be first and formost a mod that aims to be historical as possible. Obviously there are hardcoded limits, but Realism factor has been greatly enhanced from Vanilla. This is currently the most succesful mod for RTR, and continues to grow and strengthen.. Recently there has been a leadership change along with many new members and we hope this will only greatly enhance the mod.

Our site can be found at here-http://rometotalrealism.com/

You will find this Site very informative and a link to our forum can be found there...

History

This mod was originally created by Gauis Julius and Zappa, and was the first major mod made. It started out rather small, but grew up with each new version. Eventually the team grew and new leadership was formed.

Current Version

The newest release is version 6.0, wich adds a new map, complete unit overhaul, and many new features. The work put into this was tremendous.

Comming very soon, will be version 6.1 wich will be a huge improvment on the already great 6.0..

EDIT: 6.1 has been released! Check it out here...http://forums.rometotalrealism.org//index.php?showtopic=8068

Please feel free to ask any questions on RTR and I will attempt to answer them the best I can..

-King of Atlantis( Kscott)

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 07:08
http://www.rometotalrealism.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=60&g2_serialNumber

A taste of whats to come in 6.1...

GoreBag
09-05-2005, 07:10
Heh...I can taste the EB influence from here.

Will the next patch remove control of the non-Gallic Celtic holdings which the "Gauls" faction currently controls?

Atheist_Peace
09-05-2005, 07:11
Yes, thankfully it will.

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 07:11
yes, 6.1 will restrict Gaul, to well Gaul...

GoreBag
09-05-2005, 08:23
What about the Greek Cities?

Seeing as how only 17 factions are in use, is there any chance that we might see another emerge anytime soon, say, a faction for the Britons? Tylis would also be cool, but it was destroyed two years before the start of the mod.

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 08:34
no new factions for 6.1, but there will be some for 7.0. Those for one havent completely been decidedon, and im not even sure if im allowed to say anything about them, but you wont be seing a return of Britian, they simply werent historicaly powerful....

The three factions not used are two roman families and the senate...

The senate is unusable, and the roman factions cant be used for anything other than romans, though you can probably expect some culture changes, however it would take a lot to add in a barb faction...

as for the greeks...
They havent been chaned for 6.1, but you must remember, a 'greek' faction is kinda ahitorical in the first place, but is needed to represent the power of the greeks....

I can tell you that certain aspects of the greek faction will change in 7.0, but thats all I will say...

Atheist_Peace
09-05-2005, 08:36
Dont mean to take over your turf here KoA, but from what Caius said in IRC recently, two Gallic tribes is actually a very possible idea for 7.0, switching cultures isnt that big of a deal really.

Epistolary Richard
09-05-2005, 09:11
Congratulations, King of Atlantis. Will you be able to answer any RTR-related technical questions posted on the General forum as well?

caesar44
09-05-2005, 10:56
Heared about building some kind of a bridge between Sicila and Italia to allow the Punics to invade Italia , it is true ? (certainly an unseen bridge) .

Dutch_guy
09-05-2005, 11:14
would it now be possible to play a custom match without all those mercenairies in every unit roster.
Although I love all the units, it would be better to restrict a Faction to it's regular units in a custom match

:balloon2:

Atheist_Peace
09-05-2005, 17:50
would it now be possible to play a custom match without all those mercenairies in every unit roster.
Although I love all the units, it would be better to restrict a Faction to it's regular units in a custom match

This one I can answer, the units have been restricted to each faction with a few nearby mercs and such. I am hoping that all of the AoR units will be given to the otherwise useless SPQR faction in custom battle so that you can use them to simulate whatever army you want that isnt a faction in the game.

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 18:41
Heared about building some kind of a bridge between Sicila and Italia to allow the Punics to invade Italia , it is true ? (certainly an unseen bridge) .

You have heard right.

King of Atlantis
09-05-2005, 18:43
Congratulations, King of Atlantis. Will you be able to answer any RTR-related technical questions posted on the General forum as well?

well yes, I can answer most of them, but Im still very new, but I will do my best..

Kääpäkorven Konsuli
09-06-2005, 08:56
http://www.rometotalrealism.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=60&g2_serialNumber

A taste of whats to come in 6.1...

Wow, looks like RTR doesn't hate "Barbarians" any more :medievalcheers: . Good job, maybe someday you can even compete whit EB. ~;)
Do you have any idea when 6.1 might be released?
Edit: Very soon? You don't give release dates any more? ~;)
anyway, good luck!

King of Atlantis
09-06-2005, 20:39
Well the focus of 7.0 and partially of 6.1 is the barbarians...

And yes im very happy about this too ~D

The release for 6.1 is comming soon, but I cant tell you how soon that will be, but yes close.....

GoreBag
09-08-2005, 01:55
Will the British Isles still have a ridiculous amount of troops kicking around for no good reason?

King of Atlantis
09-08-2005, 01:58
Well, the British Isles will still be represented as Strong rebels, which is exactly what they were, and certainly is the bes way to depict them..

GoreBag
09-08-2005, 03:58
Uh...right. They weren't "historically powerful", but there are five full stacks of rebels running around at the beginning of the game..

King of Atlantis
09-09-2005, 02:42
They were powerful defenders, just never attackers..., but for more on this complain at RTR forums, where you can help influence policy..

GoreBag
09-09-2005, 05:44
I have an inkling that such an action would be entirely futile.

King of Atlantis
09-10-2005, 00:55
Not really, there is a whole forum for suggestions. The old leadership of RTR may have not listend, but the new is making many changes for the better and are certainly open to suggestions..

econ21
09-10-2005, 01:58
Good to see some sort of institutionalised RTR presence here at the Org, King of Atlantis. The mod is brilliant and restored my faith in RTW. Early versions got the gameplay back to the saner MTW speeds and stripped out some of the sillier units while v6.0 does some very nice work improving the historical realism. I kinda wished RTR had it's own sub-forum, but then again it does have a lively set of forums on its own site.

Can you give a quick list of what's definitely coming in 6.1? I know there'll be balancing tweaks to the stats and an end to the CTD when the Romans get 50 provinces. From what you said, we'll be getting new German units/skins and losing the Gauls in Galatia. Any other big changes on the way? (Not that there need be, that's a pretty substantial patch.)

King of Atlantis
09-11-2005, 18:56
Well, First and foremost 6.1 is a patch.

It also includes new stuff that was planned for 7.0, but has already been finished.

For example beautiful germans, new romans, Gaul is restricted to Gaul.

These are the major changes though im sure there will be more to look foward too.. ~:cheers:

Seleucos I Nicator
09-12-2005, 08:13
You might want to see this.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32552

But, mind you, this will not halt or hinder progress of 6.1.

Incongruous
09-12-2005, 09:26
Oh jesus christ, I loved those forums,

- Edited by Myrddraal: that language and the meaning it conveys is unacceptable Bopa, please restrain yourself.

Edit: I see you got there first Simon...

econ21
09-12-2005, 10:17
Bopa the Magyar, please edit your last post to remove the bad language. We're a family forum and kids may be reading. ~:grouphug:

edyzmedieval
09-12-2005, 10:49
The site is for sale?!

What happened?!

I checked http://forums.rometotalrealism.com and it's for sale!!!!

King of Atlantis
09-12-2005, 23:45
It will be back up. This is thanks to the former leader Tyr...

Emerentius
09-13-2005, 00:02
Great, it's going on/of the net now. Could just get in for a moment or so, hope your right
Perhaps we could ask Tyr krause@krauselabs.net not to do this again?

Kralizec
09-13-2005, 00:34
Wow, lovely fellow isn't he, that Tyr guy?

RTR 6.0 is a fantastic mod, btw. Adds not only more realism but also more challenges and better faction ballance. Now, at least the mighty Seleucids aren't the first to die when I'm not playing them ~:)

Also, it's unfair to compare RTR 6.0 with EB. The latter is still in the works and has made no public release yet. You can play RTR now ~:cheers:

King of Atlantis
09-13-2005, 02:03
Great, it's going on/of the net now. Could just get in for a moment or so, hope your right
Perhaps we could ask Tyr krause@krauselabs.net not to do this again?

well, he wont be able too. He is no longer in charge, and the site will be bought by the current administration.

Seleucos I Nicator
09-13-2005, 21:02
http://www.rometotalrealism.org/

Our site is back up.

GoreBag
09-14-2005, 02:55
Any word on when the official patch will be released, and is there any word on whether or not the last, unofficial one was a dangerous bunch of files?

King of Atlantis
09-14-2005, 16:29
The official patch is comming soon, thats the only date available...

The unofficial patch was an early version and buggy. It is much better to wait for the real thing..

King of Atlantis
09-21-2005, 04:11
6.1 patch has gone gold, will be ou shortly. For a full list of changes please check the link. Feel free to join our forums and comment.

http://forums.rometotalrealism.org//index.php?showtopic=8068

caesar44
09-21-2005, 08:50
Please some details about :
"Fixed the elephant problem"
"Fixed the Romans starting position"
"Fixed Syracuse"
"Added Darths mod ver. 7.0"
"Gauls campaign map fixed"
"Thrace taken from Gaul"
"Galatia taken from Gaul"
"Senate re-added as faction" WHAT ??????????????????? where is the realism here ????? Damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Incoporated skymod 1.31"

Thanks in advance .

menander
09-21-2005, 12:23
I'm almost certain the senate thing is just re-adding them to prevent the 50 province CTD thing (not giving them any provinces but nominally re-including them to stop the CTD)

caesar44
09-21-2005, 19:06
You are probably right .

King of Atlantis
09-22-2005, 00:14
Well its out now!

"Fixed the elephant problem"-
"Fixed the Romans starting position"
"Fixed Syracuse"

Not sure about these ill try to look into it, but i know they are just little tweaks..

"Added Darths mod ver. 7.0"

Darth formations. Available at TWC. These ad many army formations, making the units start out with example, the general way in the back. This leads to realistic fighting and adds some level of difficulty

"Gauls campaign map fixed"
"Thrace taken from Gaul"
"Galatia taken from Gaul"

Gaul is in Gaul, nowhere else...

"Incoporated skymod 1.31"

A mod at TWC. Adds some very cool looking skies. Looks very pretty...

And yes he was right...

hope that helps..

caesar44
09-22-2005, 11:06
Thanks

menander
09-23-2005, 07:12
Yes I was right! Anyway...

I would be interested to know what changes have been made to Syracuse (hint)...?

Helgi
09-23-2005, 17:13
Downloaded the 6.1 patch and played for a few hours as the Romans, Loved the fact that the Italian Swordsmen can lob pilums and the Hastatii, Princips and Triarii skins are tops. have to see still how the patch affects the Samatians/Sythians~:grouphug:

King of Atlantis
09-24-2005, 19:36
Okay, there is a quick patch made for the german Aor, but also 6.2 is already being planned. Some bugs slipped into the game and they are currently being worked out.

jerby
09-27-2005, 17:10
god..6.0 si out a month.
6.1 comes along.
three days later 6.2 is annouced..
weird..
would have thought them to test a little more..Pushign release dates for mod-patches?? :S

caius britannicus
10-02-2005, 14:02
god..6.0 si out a month.
6.1 comes along.
weird..
would have thought them to test a little more..Pushign release dates for mod-patches?? :S

So timely patches that fix some major and minor issues is a bad thing now?

We tested 6.1 for more then a month, every day. we had 15 builds of the patch before release. We tested it. If planning to support your community with timely patches is a bad thing. I must appologize.

6.1 one was released with a campaign movement bug. It was either release the patch with this bug or wait weeks and release it when we fixed it. So we released 6.1 so people could play with the new units and improved balancing measures. Then said we'd have 6.2 which would address any issues plus the movement bug would be out when that bug was addressed. We aren't CA, we don't ignore issues.

Helgi
10-03-2005, 03:58
Is the new patch going to rework the Samatians and bring them back to what they were before, or closer?
:duel:

Philip of Massalia
10-03-2005, 16:01
god..6.0 si out a month.
6.1 comes along.
weird..

??????
I think that the more people test a mod, the more bugs may be discovered, and then fixed.:bow:
So the mods are to be issued on a large scale for large scale testing.~:grouphug:
Thanks to the RTR team for their wonderful job !~:cheers:

I need Just a wider map such as Magna Carta , that would fill my wildest dreams~D

Suraknar
10-05-2005, 21:39
Hello,

I have some questions, before I download this almost 300Mb (Wow!) Mod... :)

maybe you could direct me to somewhere to read about it however, the main page description does not have the answers I seek...

[quote[
A* Seventeen fully playable factions
B* Two hundred new historically accurate army units
C* Totally revamped combat stastics system
D* New "Area of Recruitment" gameplay mechanic
E* Comprehensive graphical overhaul of the front end
F* Introduction video, faction elimination videos
G* Redesigned campaign map
H* Classical soundtrack conceived by a professional composer.
I* Many new custom battle locations
J* Additional historical battles
K* Authentic battle formations and army deployments
L* Enhancements enabling the AI to fight "smarter"
[/quote]

A - I immagine, more or less the Factions we have now, but some changed to more historically accurate yes? Is there a list of these Factions somewhere?

B - The New Units, are not in addition to the existing ones yes? To my knowledge there is a limit of 300 units...so that means many of the Vanilla Units have been changed Grapphically and Statistically to reflect more historical accuracy, is there a list of all these units somewhere?

C - Self explanatory. No questions.

D - Self explanatory. No Questions.

E - Does that mean Overhaul of all of the Interface?

F - Self Explanatory. No Questions.

G - Ok, is this a Larger map, the same map with more provinces or redisigned provices? Is there anywhere we can see this map?

H - Self explanatory. No questions.

I - Self explanatory. No Questions.

J - Self Explanatory. No questions.

K - Is there a place we could see some of these?

L - Self explanatory. No questions.

Thank you kindly.

caesar44
10-09-2005, 15:01
[QUOTE=Philip of Massalia]??????

Thanks to the RTR team for their wonderful job !~:cheers:

Yes !!!
~:cheers:

Slicendice
10-12-2005, 00:54
Hi. I just installed the RTR along with 6.2 patch and the music addon. The game loaded but I had an immediate problem with graphics. My screen looked like an old TV set with flickering black bars across the screen. When I started a campaign the forests kept disappearing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

King of Atlantis
10-12-2005, 03:02
Sorry guys for lack of responses, but I have actually retired from this role.. I hoping to get a replacement to keep you guys updated though..

But here I go to help a little..

- I immagine, more or less the Factions we have now, but some changed to more historically accurate yes? Is there a list of these Factions somewhere?

Less factions because only one roman family, two families and senate have been adondened.

B - The New Units, are not in addition to the existing ones yes? To my knowledge there is a limit of 300 units...so that means many of the Vanilla Units have been changed Grapphically and Statistically to reflect more historical accuracy, is there a list of all these units somewhere?

Every unit has been overhauled, but many new ones as well..

As for other stuff check the gallary at the site..

And the map is bigger with more provinces..,

BDH
10-25-2005, 04:12
figuredi would do an rtr update :bow:
This is the 6.3 map skin. I worked hard on it. I hope you enjoy it.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A1.jpg
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A2.jpg
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A3.jpg

Special thanks to the NASA Blue Marble. The texture was based off of their work. This is your tax dollars at work.

Cid
10-27-2005, 17:23
Really dumb question,

Uh...how do you do a second install of RTW? I've got BI installed and as I understand it the 1.3 Patch makes it impossible to run RTR. I've tried to do a second install by creating an RTR folder, exploring the RTW disk and hitting "Setup.exe". When I do, however, it asks me whether I'd like to "uninstall RTW and all it's components". Can't figure it out.

RTR is such an improvement over vanilla that, once played, vanilla seems ridiculous (imho)...AI Carthage for example is a 90 lb. weakling which makes playing as the Scipii a bore.

Any help would be appreciated.

shifty157
10-27-2005, 21:54
Really dumb question,

Uh...how do you do a second install of RTW? I've got BI installed and as I understand it the 1.3 Patch makes it impossible to run RTR. I've tried to do a second install by creating an RTR folder, exploring the RTW disk and hitting "Setup.exe". When I do, however, it asks me whether I'd like to "uninstall RTW and all it's components". Can't figure it out.

Copy your entire RTW folder and paste it. This could take a little while as it is 2.5 GB or there abouts.

However. I would highly suggest using Verc's RTW modswitcher. Makes things so much simpler and cleaner. And you only need one install of RTW.

Cid
10-27-2005, 23:41
Thanks Shifty,

Does the mod switcher work with the BI 1.03 patch? If not I'll have to reintall, then copy RTW patched to 1.02 (no big deal really).

Helgi
10-28-2005, 18:38
figuredi would do an rtr update :bow:
This is the 6.3 map skin. I worked hard on it. I hope you enjoy it.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A1.jpg
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A2.jpg
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/bdhh/A3.jpg

Special thanks to the NASA Blue Marble. The texture was based off of their work. This is your tax dollars at work.

Loved the map is it RCG 2 or similler? ~:grouphug:
LOL @ Special thanks to the NASA Blue Marble. The texture was based off of their work. This is your tax dollars at work~D ~D ~D ~D ~D rotflol

hellas1
10-29-2005, 04:21
Hey BDH,

Thanks for continuing this mod's update.

will you fully publish the 6.3 version sir?

thank you, hellas1

~:cool:

BDH
10-29-2005, 04:48
6.3 will be the final version of the 6.x series, after that, work will officially focus on 7.0

Cid
11-03-2005, 17:53
OK,

Another dumb question (I seem to be good at them). Anyone know what key to press to get from the game back to my Desktop?? The reason I ask is that even with the 1.3 patch, RTR is so much better (IMO) than vanilla RTW that I'm sticking with it. Problem is that damn save game siege bug. If I can play less than an hour I'd like to put my computer on standby and resmue rather than have all AI sieges lifted.

When's the 1.3 compatible mod coming out?! (just kidding)

Thanks

Dutch_guy
11-03-2005, 18:00
press alt + tab , this will get you back to your desktop.

Cid
11-03-2005, 19:39
The simplicity of it!

Thanks Dutch Guy.

dark
12-01-2005, 23:41
The 6.3 Patch is out now. Check it out here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57591)