PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Polar, Vanya, Mizus and others... lets....

MagyarKhans Cham
08-28-2002, 04:59
combine forces....

eventually we will need a logfilereader, a onlinecampaign-management-tool, uniticons and stuff.

it would be wise if we combine forces and share the workload.

for example, programming the basic routines for the logfilereader and teh uniticons.

what u think?

MagyarKhans Cham
08-30-2002, 04:46
bump?

Kraellin
08-30-2002, 10:09
cham,

just so you dont think no one is reading this.

i can only speak for myself here, but dont we already have 2 folks doing log file readers...and we dont even have logfiles yet. they're turned off.

the online management seems like magy and elmo's department, since that's who's already working on it.

units icons ... there's actually a full file of them in the game files.... all 50x50 pixels. i used one of them in my mtw icons thread in the composite picture.

i'm gonna guess that others may be feeling the same way here, since this hasnt gotten any response since originally posted.

and me, i just go where the wind and urges take me. lately it's been stories and icons, so i'm no help in what yer asking for either.

i will offer this, though, if you wish to convert some of those nice little unit pics, other sizes, slight tweaks, and so on, give me a holler.

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

MagyarKhans Cham
08-30-2002, 17:04
ok, i am just trying to save our valuable time by sharing workload and try to prohibit w edo the same things....

barocca
08-30-2002, 17:46
we could do with a smart cookie or 2 to convert stw maps to mtw...

we have available a little program, that was donated to the cause, complete with source code, that dumps the content of a jjm file to text.

now it should be possible to reverse the code, and dump a text file to an mtw jjm!

Kraellin and I spent a week deciphering the output,
but neither of our programming skills are quite up to the task of writing a conversion utility,

anyone want to have a try?

GilJaysmith
09-02-2002, 05:15
Quote Originally posted by barocca:
Kraellin and I spent a week deciphering the output,
but neither of our programming skills are quite up to the task of writing a conversion utility,
anyone want to have a try?[/QUOTE]

If it's just tiles you want renumbered, mail me the list of renumberings and I'll do it... Sarah's away all week so I have some spare time.

Gil ~ CA

MagyarKhans Cham
09-02-2002, 06:11
sarah? who is sarah? your principal wife?

btw giljay, we all would be pleased if u, target and longjohn attend to the meeting in the hague...

GilJaysmith
09-05-2002, 02:38
Quote Originally posted by MagyarKhans Cham:
sarah? who is sarah? your principal wife?
btw giljay, we all would be pleased if u, target and longjohn attend to the meeting in the hague...[/QUOTE]

My only wife...

As far as I can tell the idea of attending the meeting has occurred to us, but we haven't yet discussed it. We were thinking of holding an online chat sometime soon on IRC, but this could be more amusing. Depends on the cost and the hassle and whether we've already made plans, although I'm now wondering whether Sarah would like a weekend break in Holland...

Re the original topic: I just posted Barocca the BP8 converter, so you should soon be able to rip the Shogun textures to your hearts' contents.

------------------
Gil ~ CA

quote:
MagyarKhans Cham:
jeeez what brilliant mind programmed that?

Vanya
09-05-2002, 03:22
GAH!

Vanya does not object to sharing the burden with others. Vanya's future MTW guillotine (er, logfile reader, which by the way must wait 'till Vanya has an actual MTW log file to look at) will be out soon after the patch. Furthermore, Vanya had mentioned in a different thread his intention to make a web log reader anybody could use since He found a hosting service (free) that allows Vanya to use ASP.

GAH!

Vanya would be happy to consider offers, etc. for features and whatnot. The overall structure might be similar to the current guillotine. But, Vanya cannot fathom at this time exactly how the space limitations will curb the usage of the site. Lets face it, pump in 1000 logs and the 25 MB might be filled up completely. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif GAH!

Although this sucks, Vanya does not have a press and cannot print His own money. And even if He could, those heretic bastids would likely not honor it anyway. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

So... Vanya will do it to prove it can be done... like an experiment. And if all worky fine, Vanya will be happy to share it for other folks to use, interface to, use for campaigns and ladders, tourneys, etc.

GAH!

And, if anybody has their own damn server with unlimited space and SQL Server 2000 or higher, and they are willing to let a man with no head snoop around and muck things up in there... Vanya will be happy.

GAH!

Maybe The Org could host the guillotine?

GAH!

Anywayz... if y'all are serious about this thingie, post here and Vanya can post His email. Otherwise, Vanya might not know people are spamming Him, and might not look at His email for many moons...

GAH!

(Which reminds me... there's gotta be a mountain of spam in there by now... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif )

FasT
09-05-2002, 03:32
Logfile readers r enjoyable and helpful in many ways.
A must really http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hopefully u skilled guys will come up with the goods some http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif???

GilJaysmith
09-05-2002, 03:34
It occurs to me that we could post you some logfiles to play with even before the patch comes out, since Target has now enabled the feature. I'll have a word with him tomorrow...

Gil ~ CA

Kraellin
09-05-2002, 04:38
damn, you guys are tempting me to make a trip across the pond.

gil,
thanks for the bp8 reader. i'll have to pull tosa away from his admin'ing and look at it. will it work for all the bp8's in stw/we/mi/mtw?

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

MagyarKhans Cham
09-05-2002, 06:18
ok Gil, if u bring your principal wife i will bring mine for sure.

furthermore that quote looked nice but its not something to be proud off. still people start about teh cd key and that they must retype it all teh time lol

a logfile is sure a must, and perhaps even more usefull for analyses than a replay.

it also is the key towards online campaigning/linked scenarios.

Vanya
09-05-2002, 20:18
GAH!

Send logs to: linkslice@yahoo.com.

GAH!

MagyarKhans Cham
09-05-2002, 21:46
magyarkhan@hotmail.com

for the logfiles examples.

FasT
09-05-2002, 22:29
Good work we r actually gettin somewhere now!.....
When FasT comes of age he will be joining the programming team for sure http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

GilJaysmith
09-06-2002, 03:20
Quote Originally posted by Kraellin:
thanks for the bp8 reader. i'll have to pull tosa away from his admin'ing and look at it. will it work for all the bp8's in stw/we/mi/mtw?
[/QUOTE]

It should. However, after some deeper trawling through the Shogun source, I've found that the textyars.bp8 file isn't just a compressed TGA, rather a compressed bunch of semi-raw textures. I'll leave their conversion to you; I've mailed Barocca the format http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

furthermore that quote looked nice but its not something to be proud off.
[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of how it was meant... I've adopted it for personally amusing reasons.

Gil ~ CA

Polar
09-06-2002, 04:42
sorry i havnt checked this forum for awhile.

i saw magyar's unit comparison tool, looks great! yeah, combining our efforts to make an unified program is a good idea. i have the text processing library from making the logreader, and the network library from making a bot for another game. plus, obake and i have been talking about a web based ladder for quite some time.

but 1st, how do you save logfiles??? is it not enabled in this game?

------------------
http://chat.carleton.ca/~fbai/pix/gh1.gif
++ UglyPolar ++ GlassHeart

Vanya
09-10-2002, 02:44
GAH!

Did somebody at CA ever send out any logfiles so far for us to look at? My inbox shows no signs... maybe they here at The Org?

GAH!

barocca
09-11-2002, 05:01
If anyone wants to try and convert the STW/WEMI textures across to MTW I have a bp8 decompressor that Giljay sent to me,
I also have his explanation of the file format we are left with for the textyar's file after the decompressor has been to work,

The hope is to re-use the stw/wemi maps,

ALSO there is a text dumper for the jjm file format, (with the source code)
the only thing missing from the text dumper is the tree models, but an explanation of the byte code for the tree models can also be included,

I'll put the whole lot into a package IFF anyone is interested

If any of you are graphics minded and seriously want to have a go at the conversions give me a yell at

barocca_x@hotmail.com

and I'll forward the info on,

Vanya
09-13-2002, 23:36
Has anybody gotten a log file(s) from CA so far? Just curious...

GAH!

Maybe patch be out soon and this wait will be moot...

GilJaysmith
09-14-2002, 04:53
Quote Originally posted by Vanya:
Has anybody gotten a log file(s) from CA so far? Just curious...
[/QUOTE]

I reminded Target about this today but we were all doing a million things today so if he forgot to send one out to you guys it would be understandable. I'll remind him again on Monday.

Gil ~ CA

MagyarKhans Cham
09-14-2002, 11:16
thx gil,

magyarkhan@hotmail.com

Vanya
09-14-2002, 23:23
GAH!

Thanks!

linkslice@yahoo.com

GAH!

MagyarKhans Cham
09-15-2002, 08:55
am i the most quoted messenger?

Gil, dont forget to tackle Target...

Vanya
09-16-2002, 20:34
am i the most quoted messenger?...[/QUOTE]

GAH!

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gif

A messenger's words are never his own. So, to quote from a messenger is foolish, for you would be taking his words at face value; and in so doing, you'd be broadcasting to the world just how gullible you truly are.

GAH!

MagyarKhans Cham
09-16-2002, 23:42
the logfile didnt reached the wolves steppes ....

GilJaysmith
09-17-2002, 00:17
Target still hip-deep in factional stuff.
Target get another reminder tomorrow.