PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Two new Mods from Lord de Clare

dclare4
09-12-2002, 11:40
Bonjour All,

I just uploaded two mods for MTW - Massive Attack and Name Game.

MASSIVE ATTACK MOD

This mod simply doubles the starting size of your units enabling you to fight much larger battles and needing to raise fewer units. Not all units are doubled in size - most 'command' or siege or heavy cavalry units remain as is. The ones affected are mostly the light infantry/cavalry types.

I got the idea for doing this simple mod while reading accounts of medieval battles. Many were apparently fought (giving allowance for the exaggeration of medieval chroniclers) by more than a thousand men, sometimes tens of thousands of men. Thats an utter impossibility with this game but I thought it might be interesting to try out.

So I did it and I playtested it and surprisingly it really added to the 'reality' of the game in that its relatively easy to raise massive bodies of troops but its infinitely difficult to maintain them. This abstractly mirrors the habit of medieval armies to be raised for a single season or campaign then disbanded. As it is, its possible to have huge and varied standing armies without suffering much penalties. This mod forces the player to disband even his veteran troops as they easily consume much needed 'florins'. Also it makes for very interesting play as the players, AI and human, tend to rely on masses of lighter/lower quality troops as opposed to more specialized and diverse fighting forces. When these troops come up against more superior troop types however, like knights or heavy cavalry, the result is a slaughter that often leads to a province changing hands. It becomes necessary to back these up with the more specialized troop types or the 'leader' types like sergeants and knights but it reaffirms the medieval practice of having the poor peasant bear the brunt of the battles.

NAME GAME

I apparently forgot to include the readme... drat!! Anyways it basically adds a truckload of new and hopefully more accurate names to the French/English/Scots and makes the titles of the French/English/Scots more accurate too. It changes the Saxon names Northumbria and Mercia to the Norman Northumberland and Yorkshire. It also adds as Major Factions Aragon and Burgundy. The game plays TONS better now that these two are in the game.

Burgundy was always there even from the early period though it was only later that it became a major threat to the French. However its a very useful buffer state (like Aragon) with the potential to become great in its own right.

enjoy,
Gilbert de Clare

DarknScaly
09-12-2002, 20:15
erm... yorkshire has never been in mercia old chap...

Mercia stretches from the west borders of shropshire and herefordshire over to the east coast, up as far north (only) as Leceister (The pre-saxon fortress of Ratae which used to be in the Brythionic kingdom of Powys [which is bascically what Mercia was founded on the east of])

Yorkshire is "way to north" for it ever to occupy the area on the map listed as Mercia...technically it was also the lands derived from the domination of the "North Humbrians" (Circa 600AD), from where we get Northumbria

Just FYI

- -

PS: The "Northumbria" area was saxon named Deira, with the west of it still being Horth Rheged. Those stretched down into Powys on the briton west and Midel Anglan on the Eastern Saxon side.

Go here for British map 1066:
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/image/england/england2/mapsengl/msh1066.jpg

Here for 2000 years of briton maps:
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuengl/mainmaps.html

Go here for European maps:
http://salve5.salve.edu/~romanemp/Index.htm

-- -

IF you look here:
http://historymedren.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://renaissance.dm.net/compendium/map%2Dengland.html

You can see the MTW "Northumbria" relates to York, Durham, Northumberland, Lancashire and cumberland.

Nottingham south to Middlesex (north of the Thames) and west to shropshire and chester is all "Mercia".

mp84
09-12-2002, 23:09
Hey,

On the naming of the provinces, I don't know, I just feel we're missing out on a lot by not having names like Yorkshire, Orleans, etc.., granted it's going by City, rather then Province, but at least it makes it much more fun in my eyes..

Espically if your playing in G.A. mode, going by city rather then regional is a lot more fun I find... (Or maybe it's the fact that I'm EU2 spoiled..)

I'm sure eventually people will create mods that do it, so I can't wait, just thought I'd comment on it, since I got like 10 minutes before my wonderful Philosphy class, whopee! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif, that is a sarcastic whopee!, btw, hehe ...

later,

Mike

dclare4
09-12-2002, 23:34
hmmm... actually I thought that they really should have been something like the North, the Midlands and the South or something... yeah Yorkshire. Realistically I was hoping for more land areas to play with like the North, the Yorkshire Dales, East Anglia, the Midlands, the welsh Marches, Wales, South Midlands and the West Country... eight regions for England alone... hmmm... common consensus, should I bring the names back to wessex/Mercia/Northumbria?

I guess I made that place rename call since areas were generally (at least in the history books I've read) referred to by these place names like Northumberland and Yorkshire and Norfolk. Don't forget that many cities were critical points and were often very independent such as London, Rouen, York, etc.

Gilbert de Clare

dclare4
09-13-2002, 12:13
Okay, I'm updating them now. Hope everyone enjoys.

Gilbert de Clare

Ithaskar Fëarindel
09-13-2002, 12:48
Well I'll not download and install the Name Game until changed http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif It's a little insulting around here to be told we're from Yorkshire.

------------------
Fëa-Quendi

[This message has been edited by Ithaskar Fëarindel (edited 09-13-2002).]

spmetla
09-13-2002, 13:20
Quote On the naming of the provinces, I don't know, I just feel we're missing out on a lot by not having names like Yorkshire, Orleans, etc.., granted it's going by City, rather then Province, but at least it makes it much more fun in my eyes..[/QUOTE]

The names of the castles are able to be changed. That way you could be in Austria but seigeing Scloss Clam , or in Jerusalem seiging Castle Pilgrim.

DarknScaly
09-13-2002, 21:58
tbh GdC "Mercia" isnt a very good label for that area either ;-)

"Midlands" is probably the best. I agree its a shame we cant have The Marches and such like... more detail etc in Englans/Britain but the map's only so big i guess.

Still, places like Worcester and Ludlow were more important than Nottingham in Rl..but nobody's ever heard of them compared good ol' Robin Hood and Nottingham Castle. (Outside of the UK anyway)

dclare4
09-15-2002, 22:21
Okay... the Yorkshire/Northumberland names are in NameGame and the old Mercia/Northumbria are in NameGame2 in the MTW Files section.

Enjoy!
Gilbert de Clare

GilJaysmith
09-17-2002, 05:03
Quote Originally posted by dclare4:
MASSIVE ATTACK MOD

This mod simply doubles the starting size of your units enabling you to fight much larger battles and needing to raise fewer units. Not all units are doubled in size - most 'command' or siege or heavy cavalry units remain as is. The ones affected are mostly the light infantry/cavalry types.
[/QUOTE]

Remember there's an absolute limit of 200 men per unit on the battlemap. No-one should make a mod which could lead to more than this many men in a unit. (Bear in mind you can already double all unit sizes with the slider on the Performance Options.)

Just thought I'd remind you all :)

Gil ~ CA