PDA

View Full Version : Chat about Campaigns and Conversions.

giskard
09-17-2002, 23:19
Hello guys http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

I have been studying the campaign maps and whilst I hate overwriting original files several ideas crossed my mind that may be possible.

For instance. The Single player Strategy map might work as a Historical battle selector. Some other files may need editing but you could allow the player to choose a faction and play though any battles they had against neighbors this way. Even in the order they occured using the region links to make sure they only work in that order. This would either involve testing to see if preset forces work within the single player campaign enviroment or rigging the local taxes and build queues to only produce buildings that where available during the time the battles took place so the only army the player can built is one that accurately matches the army used in the battles them selves. This would have the advantage of showing the player the problems those nations faced at that time.

Another idea is that you could disable most of the campaign regions and work directly on one area. EG England and France during the 100 year war. Setup everything that will be needed and let the player go through the campaign over the 100 year period. You could possibly set the start date to 100 years before the game usually ends too. Just to get the 100 year campaign working.

The Spanish Armadar may also be possible. There is a naval expansionist AI setting. By setting England to pagan you make them an easy target for the Catholic Church. Give spain more in taxes each turn and make the French ports friendly to the Spanish. Irland would have to used as the spanish lost a lot of ships in that area in a storm.

Another campaign setting is the region known as Wessex. It has traditionally been fortified to the hilt against invasions from france. Some interesting possibilities to be had there. Especially since Dover contians several castles from several different ages.

Just some ideas.

Giskard

spmetla
09-18-2002, 14:41
So you want a full campaign for just battles? But with a strategy map too? Not quite getting what your saying.

------------------
"* samishika wa nai
shitte irukara
saigo wa itsumo
hitori to"

"* I'm not lonely
Because I know
I'll be
Alone at the end"
email me at: Luftwaffle@mad.scientist.com
http://www.boomspeed.com/luftwaffle/NewSig2.jpg

giskard
09-18-2002, 23:37
Im sayin, lets have a chat about campaigns, conversions and other interesting stuff to see where it leads us.

Forums like this frequently end up as a problem and answer forum. People use it that way. However what happens if I suddenly say Im going to add viking god to the Danes and give them magical powers.

Suddenly people want to know how to do it. Some will run off and try and figure it out. Others will wait for an answer to be posted.

Several solutions will be posted, some will be better than others and will be adopted as the best way of achieving those results.

Yet nobody had any problems with gods before that because they never even considered making them. Also nobody looked at how you could make them either because they where too busy looking at how to edit bif files and not talking about ideas and possibilities.

Brain storming can turn an editing group into something much bigger and better if everybody jumps in with their ideas and explores the edges of what is possible just for the hell of it.

Currently we have 2 groups that are feeling around the edges of what is possible. One is the Roman campaign team, the other is the Fantasy team.

This thread offers them a chase to exchange ideas and possible improve on them.

BTW I know a good way to add gods to game using the existing system. It is not hard and they would not really be god like except when you come to fight them on the field.

Giskard

dclare4
09-19-2002, 11:27
I for one would like a map ala Castles2 - just Britain and France with the Pyrenees and the borders of Germany on the edges. Something for the HYW - with lots more counties! The way the game plays now its almost a prerequisite to conquer ALL of Europe since the only lebensraum you get is your neighbors territory - very little in the way of independent territories/countyships w/c SHOULD be the norm for this period. Even the HRE w/c I feel is incredibly powerful all throughout the game was really little more than a confederation of German states held in nominal control by an 'emperor', not much different from the French in relation to Burgundy/Champagne and Britanny.

Gilbert de Clare