PDA

View Full Version : Requests for the patch, both modding and gameplay

barocca
09-07-2002, 15:46
This is simply my personal wish listfor the patch,
presented in no paricular order of preference!

If you guys have some of your own,
add them to the list,
be as clear as possible,
and don't go oveboard http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
no requests for major changes, like seige towers and the like,

These are all admin style changes to make managing and modding easier
:-)

===================================

Music,
can the control for the music be included in the table.cfg file in the sounds/battle folder, or a similar file,
Thus allowing us to change the name, and frequency/probability of the music,
it seems to play far too rarely in mtw.

an entry similar to this for Tension, mobilisation etc.

Event TENSION probability .1

Tension1 probability .1
Tension2 probability .1

where
Event TENSION probability .1
is the liklihood of hearing this set of tracks during battle

and
Tension1 probability .1
is the liklihood of hearing this particular track,

if this may cause problems for MP online/lan, then force the current defaults for those situations,
but it sure is nice to have random music playing during campaign/SP battles,
and it is one of the things i miss from Original Variant STW (june2000) where music played far more often.

Unit Bif files,
the list of these appear to be hardcoded, thus we cannot add new bif files to the game, can you please set the game to load the list of bif files available to it from the unit_prod file,
(as the game does for unit types)
or from a seperate list,

We will take care of all the adressing issues required - although a clue into what the numbers mean in the text files inside the weapons and shield folders would be helpfull.
(we know how to read the actions pages, and the _w and _s files - but then they are the easy ones)
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Full Campaigns
Custom Descriptions
(background description) DON'T WORK PROPERLY but they still work,
what happens is when you select a custom campaign from the list, the program won't display the custom description first try,
BUT
simply click any of the 3 normal campaigns, then click back onto your custom campaign and your custom description will show

Custom Faction Descriptions
So Far I haven't worked out how to make custom Faction descriptions,
can this be done without having to be invasive somewhere else in the file system?
I'd rather be able to list it in the campaign file or call an alternate .dsc file as we could in warlords
(see baroccas_campaigns - july 2001 - shoggy, full campaigns, section from the org for examples of non invasive custom clan descriptions)

Faction Selection
We can also have more than the twelve faction normally available,
(and we like that, we like that a lot!)
the maximum i have selectable at the moment is 15 factiosn,
although the developers did not expect us to go down this path and factions 13 onwards intrude onto the portrait, and behind it - you can select them, just can't read the name
- can you please enable a scroll bar here.

what do all the numbers alongside the faction leaders name mean?
(in early/middle/late.txt)

Start Date
If we set the start date below about 80AD we get negative numbers for the Faction Leaders age - this is not a critical problem at all, i understand storage limitations.
We like being able to add more turns to the game, if the lower limit must be 80AD, thats fine with us.

Generals and Agents,
Is there any way to enable us to be able to sort the lists,
by type and attribute,

for the agents, being able to sort the list by type and ability would be very nice, helps to determine at a glance who is the best choice to assign to a target.

Knowing which agent (and where) got caught will enable us to determine better defences and better infiltration plan,
but a simple your agent got caught means we have to try to remember who was going after whom, and then try to find who is missing.

perhaps keep the dead agent in the list and label him KIA for the next turn only? so when we click on him it will take us to where he was KIA'd
perhaps also list each agent's current target in the list?

Also A simple you caught an enemy agent, without telling us where, makes it hard for us to determine where we should NOT keep our premium generals.

To be able to sort generals by attribute would be good, to find the best combat leader, or the best acumen without having to manually check each and every unit...well you can imagine how much easier to manage your burgeoning empire that would be...

==================

I'm sure more will pop into my head as i play the game over the next few days

[This message has been edited by barocca (edited 09-07-2002).]

LittleRaven
09-07-2002, 23:26
Quote Originally posted by barocca:

can this be done without having to be invasive somewhere else in the file system?
I'd rather be able to list it in the campaign file or call an alternate .dsc file as we could in warlords
[/QUOTE]

I really want to be able to do this. I'm willing to write descriptions for all the minor factions for minor faction mods, but I can't figure out how to enable them....

Lord Krazy
09-08-2002, 00:27
[QUOTE]Originally posted by barocca:
[B]

We will take care of all the adressing issues required - although a clue into what the numbers mean in the text files inside the weapons and shield folders would be helpfull.
(we know how to read the actions pages, and the _w and _s files - but then they are the easy ones)
---------------------------------------------------
they are behaviour of the weapon.
How it fits into hand so to speak.
For example the stand file for Gallowglasses
in the weapons folder has the dynamics to
represent the sword to point downwards
from the hand .

You do not really have to understand
the numbers just the system.

Now I agree CA could help by giving an explanation .I sure it would be better than
any explanation I could give.

LK
----------------------------------------------
Is fearr rith na droch she a'samh

barocca
09-08-2002, 04:50
in Warlords for the actions pages there were no text lines in those files,
just lines and lines of numbers,
RSW realised they were the co-ordinates for the "boxes" the unit stands in,

and I deciphered the workings of the co-ordinates system,
(i needed to squeeze a couple of units into the Naginata/YariSam bif on their sides)

now it's a little easier to understand with the text lines telling you which are run/fight/die
etc.

rather than trial and error the weapons/shields control files,
a few notes would make it easier to implement new weapons.

DaCount
09-09-2002, 20:43
None hardcoded strategy map (if possible at all) and if it is possible, also an option to include non-passable area's (though i guess we can already do so, by removing the links between countries).

Oh and is there a way to custom create date driven events ??, if not and it can be included http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DaCount (edited 09-09-2002).]

giskard
09-09-2002, 21:47
I agree with most of those issues. Id like to generalise that list a bit though.

Campaigns.

Id like a way to dictating which campaign map tga/lbm files are used for my campaigns.

Something like a custom campaign setup file that uses keywords listed under the campaign name and accepting arguements such as a complete path to the new tga file for the campaign map.

The Faction descriptions are in the loc/english directory. It would be nice if we could add them to the campaign files directly like we do the campaign briefing right now. Something like ...

CD_Factions:: ID_Danes
CD_Faction_info:: The danes are a moris dancers.
CD_Factionss:: ID_English
CD_Faction_info::The English hate moris dancers.

Stuff like that.

Giskard

m38a1guy
09-09-2002, 22:09
I think they should release a patch or expansion to allow Archers and other foot troops on the walls and towers and especially the Keep!!
You can tell they wanted to do this by the width of the walls and towers, you can easily fit a troop of men on there. I just think they didn't have enough time to complete it, the game does seem a bit rushed. Also I think a unit of Ladder men and Battering Rams would be nice and might as well add moats and stronger walls.

This would make the sieges a little more like Lords2 which was fun to play. I think these additions would be great, I just wished they would listen.

giskard
09-10-2002, 04:43
I mentioned the lack of soldiers on the wall to a mate after seening some the screenshots of the game before release.

Still if you want to play a real seige game try Strongholds. It's all about castles. However it definately is not MTW.

You will like it, but you will miss the finer points of MTW too.

Giskard

[This message has been edited by giskard (edited 09-10-2002).]

spmetla
09-10-2002, 15:38
I just want castles not to be downgrade after a seige or attack.

This really slows down the game. Not to mention it's just plain wierd. Maybe I'd need to pay some cost for repairs but I'd definalty like the casetles to remain at their level.

Wart
09-10-2002, 21:55
Making princes ranking in the order of succession visible on their info sheet! (maybe somewhere near the crown on the right of their picture)
It would make dynastic issues so much easier to keep track of, and the game must already keep track of this somewhere. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Also, as Barocca said, ways to sort agents by type, and if possible show which region they are in or were in when they were killed.

Paladin
09-10-2002, 22:34
Quote 2.
(see baroccas_campaigns - july 2001 - shoggy, full campaigns, section from the org for examples of non invasive custom clan descriptions)[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, you can go to the "changes.txt" file in "C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Loc\Eng" and change the description of the faction.

I've done it and it showed up in the faction description. I added my wife's name into it as an Empress and she got a kick out of it. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

P.S. I uploaded my file, "1092Early" into http://www.totalwar.org/MTWFiles/recent.shtml a couple of days ago and it doesn't show up even though it confirmed that it was uploaded.

I tried e-mailing "Dan" about it but his e-mail address is no good because it bounced back to me. What's going on?

giskard
09-11-2002, 03:28
Paladin.

No where refering to the method that allows us to enter the text directly into the campaign file so no game files need to be modified. The System your using is the label system. Which will probably break next time somebody also releases a campaign and overwrites that file.

The text system is there for more future proof as it means campaign files are stand alone files.

They just have that one minor problem to sort out. Though id like to edit faction text in the same file too if possible.

Giskard

barocca
09-11-2002, 04:27
Paladin

It's my responsibility to check the uploads and update the file download pages,

I have been flatstrap with real life since saturday, and have had time to make only one addition to the downloads section,

I will be revising the uploads section to allow immediate downloads of submissions,

When i have had time to check all uploads I will then move them to the downloads section and they can then be downloaded from the Files listings,

I will get to work on that immediately and post back here ASAP

oooh!! - that was easier than i thought, and thanks to Paladin for the inspiration!!
Here are all the latest uploads - unsorted and untested, in other words read any notes in the download carefull, and remember to backup original files before overwriting them.
http://www.totalwar.org/upload/MTWupload/

[This message has been edited by barocca (edited 09-10-2002).]

Paladin
09-11-2002, 21:07
giskard:

Quote Paladin.
No where refering to the method that allows us to enter the text directly into the campaign file so no game files need to be modified. The System your using is the label system. Which will probably break next time somebody also releases a campaign and overwrites that file.[/QUOTE]

Oh, OK, I understand. Thank you.

barocca:

Quote oooh!! - that was easier than i thought, and thanks to Paladin for the inspiration!!
Here are all the latest uploads - unsorted and untested, in other words read any notes in the download carefull, and remember to backup original files before overwriting them.[/QUOTE]

OK, great, thanks.

09-12-2002, 01:01
Hello,

Well, from my point of view M:TW suffers mostly from a lack of information organization, functionality and feedback.

In particular, diplomacy suffers, since we are given no inkling at all about what other factions feel toward us. We don't know why they ally, why they attack, what it will take to make peace.

For example, Sicily was (I thought) my good friend. Suddenly they attack me (at sea, we don't share a land border and they don't have enough ships to setup for invasion). I'm not told why and when I try to make peace I'm told various things, none of which are really helpful.

To make matters worse, after attacking some of their fleets with my larger fleets, I'm told to cease and desist by the Pope. (And this is just as I was "recommunicated" after killing his predecessor.)

My empire is huge compared to Sicily, so you'd think they'd lay off. This lack of feedback leads to my disinterest in the political side of the game, since the AI behavior appears capricious and irrational.

We should have screens that list all our provinces, the buildings in them and the 2 production queues. We should be able to sort on any of the fields shown (and this should be so for ALL of the screens, such as generals, agents, etc.) Then, we could click on the province to go there or set province contruction directly on this screen.

It would be a great help (though less so as we play more games) to have additional information on buildings as to what units they lead to. Right now, all they show is what they, directly or with other buildings will allow.

For example, if I have Ireland it would be helpful to know that when I build a spearmaker it will allow a swordmaker which opens up Gallowglasses.

Heck, it'd be even better if I could set my build program by what unit I wanted to contruct. For instance, if I said I wanted grand inquisitors, the province would be set to build everything I needed up to and including the reliquary.

Agents in foreign countries should be highlighted in a different color and we should be able to sort buy multiple fields. For example, I should be able to sort by type of agent and then location or valor.

Computer agents should stay where they're placed UNLESS the AI decides to move them for a strategic reason. They should NOT be running about because our assassins are tracking them. It is most unlikely they would even know this, in reality.

Because these several agent problems make a synergistic whole that is worse than the sum of its parts I've decided to play my next game without agents. Of course, this will lead to problems with the Pope, if I'm Catholic again, but oh well.

M:TW is an amazingly wonderful game that I can't stop playing, but some of the details of the design cause an excess of frustration and diminish enjoyment of the game.

OTOH, maybe CA shouldn't change ANYTHING. If they make it much better than it is, I might not EVER be able to quit.

------------------
Write, edit, I've got the pen,
V'ger gone

Identity
09-14-2002, 01:12
One idea that I though might be nice would be the ability to turn off "Show AI moves" for Armies and agents separately as it often happens that I am left watching AI agents move all over the map for about a minute or so and miss enemy army movement whilst the AI moves are playing. I would turn off "Show AI moves" altogether but then I would still miss the enemy's army movements and I would download a mod to remove agents altogether but I quite like using them. I have no idea what it would take to do this in terms of programming and file altering, hence have no idea how much work it would involve. For all I know, it could be the simple matter of changing one line in one file.

Other than that, the ability to sort al generals according to acumen, piety, dread etc. would be very nice and reduce the amount of micro-managing.

barocca
09-17-2002, 15:28
Identity
on the strategic map there is a little grey box beside the minimap (top left),
click the triangle, and a sheet of options will appear - one of them is the choice not to watch the AI moves!

Quote Originally posted by hectogg:
To Ca Programmer

in the new patch,pls make the possibility to
play the minor factions *Aragon,Golden horde,etc in custom battle

thanks
gustavo[/QUOTE]

------------------
Clan Doragon
DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon (http://doragon.barocca.web1000.com/)

[This message has been edited by barocca (edited 09-17-2002).]

barocca
09-18-2002, 08:13
I was sure i read somewhere that the royal bodyguard cavalry replenished losses over time,
either the Strategy Guide or the Manual, i've just had a quick browse and i can't find that information.
(so if my memory is correct, that feature is not working for all factions)

Anyway, it would be nice to have the manual in pdf format, allowing a quick search to find the naswer to a question.

(the strategy guide in pdf would be nice too, but thats a bit much to ask for - after all the publishers would like to sell a few more copies first!)

As for the Strategy Guide - well worth the pennies, lots of nice little tidbits of information tucked away in there...

LordGuyOfRome
09-23-2002, 05:40
Quote Originally posted by barocca:
Anyway, it would be nice to have the manual in pdf format, allowing a quick search to find the naswer to a question.
[/QUOTE]

True, but I think one of the reasons publishers usually don't do it, even if it would be effortless, is that it makes life TOO easy for pirates.. I mean, if you buy a pirate game you have teh hassle to having no manual and that's sometimes teh thing that leads someone buying teh original game (maybe associating more people in teh buying of a single Box.. prices are SO high...)

Anyway, yeah, that would be nice too.

JMHO

G