PDA

View Full Version : Great Idea for Mod, but no knowledge to make it!

Stefan the Berserker
09-17-2002, 20:51
I got a nice Idea for a new Mod for Shogun -MI, by useing Data from MTW.

The Spanish Invasion:
As you might remember Portogese Traders and Jesuits come to Japan in Shogun. They converted a lot of people on Kyushu, but those have later been persecuted and eliminated by the Tokugawa-Shogunes. But what would be if the Spanish (Portugal = Spanish Vasall) had come to support them? What would be, if the Legendary Conquisatores had Invaded Japan? There won't be a third Kamikazè I suppose... It will be the Greatest task ever for the Samurais!

What would have to be done for this mod:

Changes to Mongols:
Make Mongols Christian, unname them into Spanish, replace Mongol Event Screens through Medieval Event Screens, replace Mongols Music through "Southern European" Music, allow Mongols to build Churches, Cathedrals, Castilos and Castles (not Fortress and Citadell), Ninja House, Harbors, Priests and Ninjas, replace Mongols Advisor-Speeches (On Battlefield) to his MTW Equivalent, allow Mongols to get Taxes, replace Mongol Name List through Spanish ones, replace Mongol Banner through Spanish Banner.

Replace Korean Spearchukcers through Spanish Pikemen (copy Pikemen from MTW).

Replace Korean Skirmishers through Spanish Musketeers (copy Arqumen from MTW).

Replace Korean Gardists through Spanish Swordsmen (copy Two-handed Swordsmen from MTW).

Replace Thunder Bombers through their MTW Equivalent.

Replace Mongol light Cavallary through Conquisatores (modify Mogol Heavy Cavallary this way they're armed with Muskets as well as Swords and medium Armored)

Leave out Mongol Heavy Cavallary.

Japanese changes:
Put the Tokugawas on to the Position of the Hojo, make Shikoku Rebell Provinces (Hosokawa), give Tokugawa Iyasu more heirs, allow to build Weaponsfactory in every Province, make it Necessary that player has Weaponsfactory and Archery-Dojo (Dojo-Bonus through Archery-Dojo) to train Musketeers, take out Arqumen, unname Musketeers into "Teppo-Ashigaru", make treaty with Dutch already avarible.

Common Changes:
Put starting of MI-Champain on the year 1602, take out MPG-Movies Momointro, Momovict and Momolose, make AI useing the Changed Units Intelligent, change the .txt's of the the Game this way, that it looks like professional.

Incase anybody would produce this mod, I was VERY grateful! It would be the Greatest task (better: Fun) for every Shogun tactician!

dclare4
09-21-2002, 00:12
Hey that sounds like a great idea for a mod!!!Any takers?

Gilbert de Clare

NARF
09-23-2002, 00:12
The conquistadores would be a huuuuge challenge, but other than that, great idea.

------------------
What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

dclare4
09-23-2002, 14:29
I wish someone would mod STW for just England instead of Japan. Lets squabble over Warwick, Wales and the Marches for a change!

Gilbert de Clare

Botis
09-23-2002, 15:08
>I wish someone would mod STW for just >England instead of Japan. Lets squabble >over Warwick, Wales and the Marches for a >change!
>Gilbert de Clare

Now that's a ripper idea! A War of the Roses mod. I've still got the old board game Kingmaker in a closet somewhere. The faction idea that's kinda bollocks in the main game would be great in this setting!

LittleGrizzly
09-24-2002, 07:39
to add another dimension to mod suggested at top.

make the spanish a lot stronger situation seems hopeless but dutch are allies and they help you. give them a few costal lands maybe...?

dclare4
09-25-2002, 11:54
Ever since I saw that CA would be doing a 'medieval' game I was really hoping it would be like STW but for England vs France only in the HYW or something - I never thought they would be using this timescale/landscale.

For a War of the Roses mod, you'd probably have the major factions and then some - Lancaster, York, Beaufort (Somerset), Neville (Salisbury and Warwick), Pole (Suffolk and Lincoln), Percy (Northumberland), Courtenay (Devon). The Dutch and Spanish would be like the Burgundians and the French - its a prefect match, almost! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Here the problem begins. For all its abstractions and inaccuracies, Kingmaker got it right in regards to the importance of titles and offices and even if it wasn't historical war of the roses it sure felt like it with the factions and betrayals and secret support. What MTW doesn't simulate is the fact that many of these 'ancient earldoms' or principalities were hereditary property and could not be taken away and reawarded without VERY SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES - case in point is the banishment of Henry of Bolingbroke and the subsequent confiscation of his property by Richard II - Henry came back with an army and the people supported him because they felt that he had been dishonorably cheated out of his inheritance by an avarcious king. Here the V&Virtues don't really do anything. If anything they should be grounds for massive rebellions. Unless a nobleman led an open rebellion he was never liable to lose his title - office perhaps but not the title. And even if he lost his head or was attainted his title could be claimed by his son/heirs such as in the case of Simon de Montfort. Otherwise the estate would default to the crown.

As for princesses, they were not the only ones looked after and 'fought for' - the problem with MTW is that you don't EVER really get to see the effect of all that freakin marrying and making whoopie because the land areas are just too big. But if it was county/regional - i.e. more areas to play with and with every marriage some would change hands as part of the 'dowry' - then that would be more interesting. As it is I often just neglect my princesses right now, either letting them waste away as spinsters or marrying them off to my victorious generals - who cares about marrying them off to other factions. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Anyways, there were also the 'crown wards' - daughters/sons of great nobles. In fact the idea that minority is 15 and below does not really apply here - princes and princesses were being pared off from as young as 5 or so. Crown wards were important in that they were by hereditary right, the 'owners' of their titles and the lands that went with them. I think Kingmaker got that down perfectly in that with certain titles you got certain castles and troops. Here titles are valued more for loyalty, generalship, acumen bonuses. In fact the second half of the wars of the Roses came about because the randy Edward IV instead of rewarding his ambitious but loyal cousin Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick called 'the kingmaker' he went off and married the beautiful Lady Elizabeth Woodville, widow of Lancastrian cavalry commander John Grey, Lord Ferrers of Groby. She was the period's 'Mrs Robinson' (from The Graduate) since she was older and had lots of grasping children and relatives. She married off her younger brother (about 18 or so) to the Dowager Countess of Norfolk (like 60 or 70 years old I think - Norfolk is the hereditary Marshalate of England held first by the Bigod family from the Conquest to Edward I, inherted by the Mowbrays through a daughter of Bigod marrying into them and then later a Mowbray daughter passed it to the Howards, the present holders.) and other relatives got their fingers on prize catch 'crown wards' and titles. When you wonder why Richard III is so insanely mad in the Shakespeare play, you should read the history behind it first. You'll discover that the social climbing Woodvilles are among the real villains. When Edward IV died (too much 'whoopie'??) the Woodvilles who controlled the Prince of Wales and Duke of York (the 'princes of the tower') and stood in line to inherit many rich estates were set to take power. Hence the bloody work Richard had to do. And he did NOT kill his nephews (I firmly believe that!!)

What should be the case at least for France and Britain is not the presence of Generals and Daimyos but a number of very powerful families or 'houses' - these 'morphed' into other families as time went by but their power and right to property remained generally the same. Examples would be the Bigods-Mowbrays-Howards of Norfolk, the Montacute-Neville of Salisbury and Beauchamp-Neville of Warwick lines, the Percys (the longest surviving line even until today I believe) of Northumberland etc. They should have 'security of tenure' on their lands and hereditary titles unless they rise in rebellion and then their children will have a right to their titles and lands. Unless of course the king chooses to ruin the children as was the case of Henry III (the weathercock king, father of Edward Longshanks) and the children of William Marshall - by attacking through legal and extralegal means the children of the Marshall (to whom he owed his crown!!) he 'destroyed' them and ensured they would not have claim over their lands. The Neville inheritance went to the Crown thanks to the marriage of the Yorkist line to the Nevilles. Anyways, it can get incredibly convoluted.

Well, maybe they'll come up with Kingmaker Total War sometime and get the use of hereditary titles right.