PDA

View Full Version : Pope Mod

The Sultan
09-24-2002, 17:21
Hi modders, I'm planning to put together a Pope Mod which allows you to play the pope - before I do this, has anybody already tried?

Much as I enjoy beating my head against a brick wall for hours, if somebody has already tried and failed please let me know!

The main issues I can think of are the Excommunications (which I may have to drop)
and problems with heirs... a playable pope may have to become exceedingly uncelibate in order to get anywhere in the game!?

There is a tube strike in London 2morrow so I will get a few hours to tinker hooray!

LittleGrizzly
09-24-2002, 18:36
well u could try to do it as in the pope has unlimited hiers kinda like he does in the game

btw i now thier not his blood

edit: i assume victory is convertin the whole map to become catholic ?

[This message has been edited by LittleGrizzly (edited 09-24-2002).]

The Sultan
09-24-2002, 19:30
The victory condition could be to convert the whole map, or maybe just mush the Orthodox & Muslims or even just to hold Palestine by the end of the game.

I haven't done a full mod yet, just tweaks to other peoples so i don't know how easy this will be.

Meanwhile I thought of a potential new unit for the Pope - "Papal Envoy" works kinda like an Emissary - but if you target it at a catholic king you get the options to:
1. Excommunicate King
2. Order Crusade on & Give florins

I know people have added their own military units to the game but I don't know (yet) how easy it will be to add a diplomatic one.

I'll just start off with a very basic mod and build from there...

LordGuyOfRome
09-24-2002, 19:52
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but somehow I doubt that something so special as teh pope is in the game can be tweaked, it's probably hardcoded, at least most of it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the messanger thing is hardcoded as well so I doubt it's possible to create a new emissary kind of unit giving it more options like the excomunicate and order crusade.

JMHO

G

Quote Originally posted by The Sultan:
The victory condition could be to convert the whole map, or maybe just mush the Orthodox & Muslims or even just to hold Palestine by the end of the game.

I haven't done a full mod yet, just tweaks to other peoples so i don't know how easy this will be.

Meanwhile I thought of a potential new unit for the Pope - "Papal Envoy" works kinda like an Emissary - but if you target it at a catholic king you get the options to:
1. Excommunicate King
2. Order Crusade on & Give florins

I know people have added their own military units to the game but I don't know (yet) how easy it will be to add a diplomatic one.

I'll just start off with a very basic mod and build from there...[/QUOTE]

The Sultan
09-24-2002, 20:04
Um... yeah I also suspect it would be hardcoded, but I will still have a go at a playable pope mod - you just wouldn't have any control over the crusades and excommunications - they will probably just happen as they would in the normal game...

More likely the thing won't work at all! Oh well only one way to find out!

spmetla
09-25-2002, 09:03
Can can PLAY as the pope. But you can't do any cool pope things like excommunications.

Maybe those events happen by themselves? Never played as the Pope long enough to see.

------------------
"samishika wa nai shitte irukara saigo wa itsumo hitori to"

"I'm not lonely Because I know I'll be Alone at the end"

email me at: Luftwaffle@mad.scientist.com

dclare4
09-25-2002, 12:29
That freakin Pope!! First he sends me tons of money since I've done so much for the Mother Church then he sends me tons of assasins and when that didn't work he sends his inquisitors to start knocking off my best generals - 2 men of principle with high loyalty and good to high acumen, burned in 5 years. And he keeps coming back. My assasins pursue him and he flees to some dinky country where THEIR border guards kill my assasins and then he comes back. He's like Persona Non Grata in the Realm of England now... but still its enough to make you turn Pagan.

Like in Breaker Morant when they ask the two condemned men if they would want a chaplain they remark "No, I'm a pagan... ". They've been condemned to death by a rigged military tribunal to save Britain's face and help end the Boer war.

Gilbert de Clare

The Sultan
09-26-2002, 15:15
spmetla Can can PLAY as the pope. But you can't do any cool pope things like excommunications.

- Yeah it seems the excommunications happen automatically, if you play as the pope and attack somebody they automatically get excommunicated!

I have uploaded my first pope mod so other people can play pope if they want to...

You can get it here: http://www.echo3g.com/test/mtw/pope.html

enjoy!

[This message has been edited by The Sultan (edited 09-26-2002).]