PDA

View Full Version : RTW MP Campaign - The game has begun!

Pages : [1] 2 3

General_Sun
09-29-2005, 01:17
Myddraal's Multiplayer Campaign Mod
Yesterday September 27, 2005, 7-9 PM GMT-5 was one of the most momentous moments of my life.

No I did not get Barbarian Invasion, and probably won’t for more than a few weeks. No I did not win the lottery, what I did get was an MSN message from Myddraal, my personal god of modding. He was there to ask me to test the latest version of his multiplayer campaign mod with him. This fateful day, I had some free time. After a few mishaps in file transferring, I finally have the mod loaded in my computer with Rome: Total War copied to a fresh directory.

After a few quibbles, the mod was installed and the game loaded. At this time, I find out that Myddraal has misplaced his Rome: Total War CD. I was frustrated but relieved when Myddraal suggested that I play against myself. With the mod installed, I booted up the game and started as Julii as per instructions. I made a move and saved the game. I loaded the game up, and oh my god, I start as the Brutii. The Julii made the exact same move I did! With this excitement, I quickly loaded my Brutii troops into my boat, landed across the strait onto the Illyrian coast. Then I moved the boat under the heel of Italy next to the starting city.

Next load, as Scipii, the boat is under the heel of Italy right where I put it and everything else was the same as I did.

I was ecstatic. Imagine the possibilities, imagine the potential. The Generals Collective will definitely be on the front line of hosting the first MP Campaigns.

I asked Myddraal afterwards about donations for the Modding God. He declined any monetary donations, stating that the best help would be for him to get a few extra modders for his mod, WoT, or Wheel of Time: Total War.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

I am going to do something that I haven’t done for a long time, use caps to scream my message:

MODDERS PLEASE HELP MYDDRAAL WITH WHEEL OF TIME. This man is a GOD and deserves all the help he can get.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Click here (http://www.generalscollective.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=59)to view the article on the technical details and installation instructions:
http://www.generalscollective.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=59

Update by Myrddraal
We have two games about to start, one in-clan game, and one game organised here at the .org:

Our final list Myrddraal could you put this on the first post
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul) LordRiaden
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Poutus) Destroyer of Hope
(Greek city states) Hellenes
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Secluded Empire) SilverRusher
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramus
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia) Heinreich 5
(Armarania(sp?) menender

If you want to start another game, just gather the players! :bow:

Obex
10-03-2005, 20:19
I am very excited by this news. Giddy even. Please keep us updated on this mods development. If you need additional beta testers, let me know. Great work Myddraal!

Booya!

Myrddraal
10-04-2005, 03:30
What I could do with, would be some people who could help out with an internet exchange system for the files. Freak Of Nature has already started, so you wouldn't have to work from scratch, but I think he may be too busy to finish the job...

Ulstan
10-06-2005, 17:40
If Myrddraal has gotten a multiplayer campaign mod to half-way work, I declare him a hero of the people. ~:)

Myrddraal
10-07-2005, 01:17
COME ON PEOPLE!!!

You know I'm not just talking out my arse... somebody must be able to help me finish this.................... :angry:

hellenes
10-07-2005, 17:19
COME ON PEOPLE!!!

You know I'm not just talking out my arse... somebody must be able to help me finish this.................... :angry:

Sorry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but my programming and network skills are close to zero although i wish that i could help you...
Mp campaign is my dream since 2002 when i got mtw...

Hellenes

soccerlover10cf
10-13-2005, 01:00
Well..General Sun said it was working fine though.
Are you guys still working on it or something...

General_Sun
10-13-2005, 01:19
The mod itself works fine, but we're talking about programming in an anti-cheat system among other things.

soccerlover10cf
10-13-2005, 04:22
oh okay thanks

hellenes
10-13-2005, 12:44
The mod itself works fine, but we're talking about programming in an anti-cheat system among other things.

Well if we can play through email with some HONOURABLE people that wouldnt cheat can you release it?
Also an idea: To transfer the campaigmap battles to MP battles and reversed the historical battles could be used to simulate 100% that since you can customize freely the historical battles, also the "spawn armies could be used to put the result of the mp battles back in the campaign...

Hellenes

Myrddraal
10-13-2005, 17:34
hellenes, thats exactly what I'm working on for the next release...

shifty157
10-13-2005, 17:51
Does every faction need to be played by a human player or can some factions still be played by the AI?

Awesome work btw. I absolutely cant wait for this to be released. Im sorry i would help but i dont know anything about this kind of stuff.

Myrddraal
10-14-2005, 00:18
It is theoretically possible to have AI factions, but I think it may be quite buggy. I suggest having one human per player if possible...

hellenes
10-15-2005, 17:34
hellenes, thats exactly what I'm working on for the next release...

Will you release the MP mode without the anti cheat program for lan play or through email with friends?
And I wish I could help you to make the game 100% multiplayer...

Hellenes

Myrddraal
10-16-2005, 04:22
OK. This is an open offer: if you can gather a group of people (1 per faction) who you can trust, I will set up a MP game for you.

There can be more than one game if you like. Spread the news to the MP community, I'm not up to posting around right now. Please post here with the list of users who will play and which faction they want. Thanks.

I'm a bit dissapointed that it turned out this way. I really really wanted to release a finished product, but it seems that cannot be. :sad:

Myrddraal
10-16-2005, 04:37
PS, have edited name of thread for info....

Lord Winter
10-16-2005, 16:19
If your trying to organise a game i will play as pontus
E mail Gopackers13@hotmail.com
i play 1.3
perfered mods RTR

hellenes
10-16-2005, 16:45
Im in as the Greek cities...
Also shouldnt the game be a bit tweaked for some small balancing?
Like the Egyptian issue? But for a start the vanilla 1.3 will do...
My email is arxidamos2003@yahoo.gr

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-16-2005, 16:54
i want to play julii email to umeu_1@hotmail.com
my version is 1.2 i prefer playing RTR or EB

Not important

and i play my own modded version...that is the EB Beta version with segments of RTR in it...i scrambled my version up with so many different mods...but i'll install a clean version for whatever we play

ShellShock
10-16-2005, 17:39
So how much programming are we talking about here? If it is not too much I may be able to help.

Will this be in VC++? What are you using for the comms?

Myrddraal
10-16-2005, 17:49
OK, Shifty PMd me with these questions, but as they are good questions, everyone should know the answers:

Most importantly how are battles handled? Im assuming theyre autoresolve only. Which is fine. It makes things go quicker. Although thinking of the AI handling my armies is a bit unsavory.

diplomacy? Perhaps diplomacy is entirely up to the players or can diplomacy actually be done in game? Diplomacy is a huge deal for me when playing with other people.

Which version of rtw are you using?

How exactly do you set up a game? Do you need a special program aside from the script? Do you need to manually email files? etc.

Battles for the time being should be autoresolved. I'm hoping to include playable battles in a future release. This should be quite difficult, so don't expect it soon.

At the moment diplomacy isn't really included directly in the game. If you try to make a diplomatic offer with someone then the AI will answer for them. I strongly suggest banning the use of diplomats except for bribery and trade rights.

I tested on a 1.2 RTW install, though in theory the game should work fine so long as everyone is using the same version and mod NB: Could you all include in your posts here, not only you faction, but also the version you play, and a preference list of mods.

e.g I want to play Julii, my email is dont@mail.me, I play V1.2.
In order of preference my mods are:
Chiv TW
RTR

Thank you.

This last part cuts me a bit. I had hoped to release this project as a final version. This would have included a download-able program which would prevent cheating and automate the file exchange. This it seems may take me a while longer. If I can release that program before you people gather a team, then I'll be really happy.

Duke Malcolm
10-16-2005, 18:37
The team appears to be gathering...

vanilla v 1.2 but could be swiftly updated if need be...
email is malcolm_sh@hotmail.co.uk
macedon or carthage

Lord Winter
10-16-2005, 20:42
edited my post for necessary info

alpaca
10-16-2005, 21:47
Well I would try to program this but I'm really occupied at the moment with 3 projects as well as the semester start :(
Really looking forward to the thing, though.

P.S.: If you send me the current work done I can see how much time it would take to alter this so much that it works, and if it would only take some 10 hours or so I might be able to push it in somewhere... Might take a week or two, though.

shifty157
10-16-2005, 22:09
Whatever mod/version should be decided first. This makes a huge difference in the factions available as well as the general strategic climate. RTR for example includes Bactria as a faction. As well RTR is much more difficult to expand etc. So i think the version should be decided first.

After the verison is decided i think that factions should be handed out randomly to avoid any kind of resentment from people not being able to get their favorite faction while everyone else did. Also this prevents people who have completely specialized in a particular faction and know exactly what moves to make from overwhelming those of us who havent played in a bit. I myself have not played extensively in several months. Frankly i just think random factions would be more fair and more interesting.

And with id just like to say that im definitly in.

email shifty@verizon.net
i dont have any mods installed at the moment although rtr is nice.
as for faction if we play rtr then ill take bactria. otherwise id like Carthage.

Another question though. What about rebels? How are they handled?

Also i think that diplomats in game should be banned. Diplomacy through email should be completely allowed.

Lord Winter
10-17-2005, 00:29
Also i think that diplomats in game should be banned. Diplomacy through email should be completely allowed.

What about the trade rights?

Myrddraal
10-17-2005, 02:01
rebels and the senate are handled by the AI

The Stranger
10-17-2005, 19:24
i think we should play 1.2 vanilla

Duke Malcolm
10-17-2005, 19:51
Excellent Idea

shifty157
10-17-2005, 20:19
i think we should play 1.2 vanilla

I agree. Let's keep it simple the first time.

General_Sun
10-17-2005, 21:19
I'm still testing whether or not it works on various versions, but I think 1.3 might be simpler if it does work on 1.3

SomeNick
10-18-2005, 21:34
Finally MP campaign!

A big thanks to Myddraal who managed to work this one out : )

This is excellent!

I read the stratcentre post a few days ago however couldn't find a link anywhere to download it :(

Could we have a subforum for organising matches and maybe posting results when it's all up and running?

Thanks for your time guys. :duel: ~:cheers:

cunobelinus
10-18-2005, 21:39
im really interested to and cant wait for this to be downladable

Craterus
10-18-2005, 22:11
I'm in, if there's still spaces. But I will have to re-organise the RTW on my computer and hope it works..

The Stranger
10-19-2005, 14:53
we should play 1.2 (not everyone has BI/1.3, but everyone has 1.2) but with bug-fixermod thats better...there are some reall gameruining bugs...like the scarface and stuff...

and how bout the load save bug...

hellenes
10-19-2005, 15:51
we should play 1.2 (not everyone has BI/1.3, but everyone has 1.2) but with bug-fixermod thats better...there are some reall gameruining bugs...like the scarface and stuff...

and how bout the load save bug...
Since 1.3 is FREE to download and FIXES the load/save bug I dont see ant reason to not use it.
What the main concern is: the Balance since some states (romans/egypt) are severly overpowered.
Also we could negotiate through chat for the diplomatic part.

Hellenes

Lord Winter
10-19-2005, 16:13
This an attempt to get organized i will add names when they join

(The House of Juli) The Stranger
(The House of Bruti)
(The House of Scippi)
(Gaul)
(Briton) Ignoramus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia)
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain)
(Scythia)
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Secluded(sp?) Empire)
(Egypt)
(Cathrage)
(Numida) kingwill
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?) Craterus

If i missed anyone please let me know

cunobelinus
10-19-2005, 16:35
put me down for germany but i need somebody for back up just incase i cant make it or something

Craterus
10-19-2005, 22:47
Hmmmm, I think we should use 1.2.

So far, 1.3 hasn't worked on my computer. Along with BI.

I'll have a think about what faction I would like to play overnight, and then I'll be back tomorrow to put my name down. As long as there's some spaces left. Can I reserve a place with whatever's left at the end if I don't reply in time? Even if it's Numidia..

Is private diplomacy allowed through use of PM, email or IM? ~;)

Lord Winter
10-20-2005, 00:04
[QUOTE=Craterus]
Can I reserve a place with whatever's left at the end if I don't reply in time? Even if it's Numidia..QUOTE]

Theres 11 more spots open most likely there will be one open tomorrow

SomeNick
10-20-2005, 02:18
Hmmm yeah...

Diplomacy. How will that work in the game? Combined with some sort of message service a new diplomacy interface of the game would be required wouldn't it? Possibly with a finalising 'accept' function so deals can't be altered when reached upon in the diplomacy window. (Can always betray them later though *grin*)

Diplomacy will be afterall one of the main apsects of Multiplayer.

I'd like to be Julii too if I would be considered a tester for this project at all by you guys.

Have a good one :) :duel: ~:cheers:

Ignoramus
10-20-2005, 02:46
How exactly does this work? And how long would it take, after all some people actually have to sleep.......

You can reserve Gaul for ATM. I need to know more about it though.

shifty157
10-20-2005, 03:34
You get the save file. You play your turn autoresolving all battles. At the end of your turn you save the game. You email the save file to the next person.

So this isnt all in one sitting. Itll take days/weeks but really only 30 minutes or so a day.

Ignoramus
10-20-2005, 05:12
Does it have to be online?

Edit: I'll change my faction to Brutti if I can.

The Stranger
10-20-2005, 13:28
Since 1.3 is FREE to download and FIXES the load/save bug I dont see ant reason to not use it.
What the main concern is: the Balance since some states (romans/egypt) are severly overpowered.
Also we could negotiate through chat for the diplomatic part.

Hellenes

didnt knew that...where can i get it (last time i checked you could only get it on the BI disc)

The Stranger
10-20-2005, 13:34
Hmmm yeah...

Diplomacy. How will that work in the game? Combined with some sort of message service a new diplomacy interface of the game would be required wouldn't it? Possibly with a finalising 'accept' function so deals can't be altered when reached upon in the diplomacy window. (Can always betray them later though *grin*)

Diplomacy will be afterall one of the main apsects of Multiplayer.

I'd like to be Julii too if I would be considered a tester for this project at all by you guys.

Have a good one :) :duel: ~:cheers:

I'm Julii already...but bout diplomacy

I think there should be a sepperate diplomacy thread where players can discuss it. i mean its pretty unfair that you cant get a ceasefire or alliance. and this way you can help people out that need money or help with a other country...that would make it more realistic i think

another question

How are we going to solve the Roman question. we can disable the senate. wich is the best thing to do IMHO. and also disable the Roman alliance to make it fair. the fact the they have little provinces is compensated by strong military, rich lands and easy pickings nearby.

SOLVING ISSUES

ironchested egyptian axeman
inconsistant starting money
superunits (e.g. headhurlers, wardogs and firepigs)

Craterus
10-20-2005, 15:39
Armenia! I wanna be Armenia! Thanks, in advance.

I vote that we play 1.2, since the load/save shouldn't be an issue with no AI factions. If we play 1.3, it's doubtful that I can play.

shifty157
10-21-2005, 00:46
Id like to change myself to Thrace.

General_Sun
10-21-2005, 01:09
Good news guys, what is apparently the final major bug in the script has been identified and resolved! After a final thorough test by the expert beta-testing team, we can expect a first grand release.

CHEERS! Nobody is more eslastic than I, soon I can finally play this thing!

King of Atlantis
10-21-2005, 01:16
Good news guys, what is apparently the final major bug in the script has been identified and resolved! After a final thorough test by the expert beta-testing team, we can expect a first grand release.

CHEERS! Nobody is more eslastic than I, soon I can finally play this thing!

How long does it take to wait for everyone to finish a turn though?

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 01:28
Can I change mine Britannia now? Sorry about my multiple faction changes.

Lord Winter
10-21-2005, 01:50
Maybe we should play with RTR. It's well balanced in terms of units

Did i miss anyone on the list?

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 03:10
I don't have RTR, and not everyone would either.

Myrddraal
10-21-2005, 03:49
A point about how the game should be played.

Don't expect to wait for others to finish their turn, finishing a turn may take a while.

You should just check from time to time to see if its your turn, if it is then play....

I don't know how quick the game will go, but don't expect a fast pace

Lord Winter
10-21-2005, 03:58
I don't have RTR, and not everyone would either.

I don't have it now ethier but you can it download from their website for free. It was just a thought everything is more balanced imho in RTR but i can play 1.3 too if the group decides soo

GoreBag
10-21-2005, 04:11
How does diplomacy work? I hate to bring up a problem, but I want to play a perfect MP campaign sooo badly.

Also, is it likely that this will work with other mods, namely WoT, EB or AoVaF?

Myrddraal
10-21-2005, 04:15
namely WoT Good choice!

Yes it should work with any mod which uses all the faction slots. It can also be adapted for any mod, that shouldn't be too much work.

GoreBag
10-21-2005, 04:19
So, in other words, the MP campaign is t3h 0wnz0r?

Wait, what about the diplomacy?

Myrddraal
10-21-2005, 04:39
hm, diplomacy is a bit of an untested region. The AI has been disabled, so I wonder how it will react. This is something for the beta testers.

As for out of game diplomacy, I suggest that anything goes. Secret alliances, secret co-ordination, it all adds to the fun of the game :smile:

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 04:46
But if the AI works the diplomacy negotiation, then people could fraught the system. You use a diplomat, demand 10 of the enemy's territories for a ceasefire, the AI accepts it for the human player, and then the human player has had a deal made he didn't agree to.

But diplomacy aside, this should be an excellent game!

GoreBag
10-21-2005, 04:58
The sole caveat, then. It'll work itself out, I guess. Trade agreements would be sooo beneficial, though.

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 05:02
Are you going to join NeonGod?

The Stranger
10-21-2005, 10:11
But if the AI works the diplomacy negotiation, then people could fraught the system. You use a diplomat, demand 10 of the enemy's territories for a ceasefire, the AI accepts it for the human player, and then the human player has had a deal made he didn't agree to.

But diplomacy aside, this should be an excellent game!

that can be solved in the diplomacy thread, there players can discuss, and i trust everyone to stick to the agreed terms...and noo cheats :bow:

and please lets keep this simple and play vanilla 1.2 or 1.3 with the bugfixermod...this already wont be a fast game but when we will play with RTR its going to last even longer cuz there are soo many provinces

Geoffrey S
10-21-2005, 10:32
Could diplomacy be resolved through forums? Perhaps these ones, or a mod specific one. There players could perform deals, either in public or via PMs. For instance, one player states they'll pay 10000 for a particular settlement or for naval assistance against another faction, which would be paid be ordering a diplomat to donate the money; the participants could work out the coordination of the moves, for instance agreeing to abandon a location at a certain date whereupon the other faction moves in.

There'd need to be some rules, but players abusing the system could be weedled out fairly easily; and breaking an agreement, well, that's part of the fun!

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 10:34
Good. We need more players for the factions though. We don't even have half yet. Alliances are going to play a big part in this.

Edit: Yes, if anyone does cheat, everyone declare war on him!

The Stranger
10-21-2005, 11:46
yeah much more players...all advertise guys

Geoffrey S
10-21-2005, 12:25
It'd be nice to see some kind of sticky on this. A project of this kind deserves attention.

Drisos
10-21-2005, 12:38
I got informed about this too. (~;) aan umeu)

sadly I don't have RTW (yet)

how long will it take for this to start? perhaps I can join anyway?

The Stranger
10-21-2005, 14:12
It'd be nice to see some kind of sticky on this. A project of this kind deserves attention.

why dont you choose a faction

Drisos, when do you think you will get RTW ~;)

kingwill
10-21-2005, 14:20
if it's 1.3 then i will play as numidia

Geoffrey S
10-21-2005, 14:29
why dont you choose a faction
'cause I don't MP due to a complete lack of time, particularly over the next few weeks.

hellenes
10-21-2005, 20:14
Well my choice would be that since the whole Senate+3 idiotic kngdom-satrapiespretendingtherepublic should go. It is a SP feature to provide some challenge later in the game since its a MP now I guess we have plenty of challenge so I vote for Vanilla UNIFIED rome. As far as the diplomacy goes I think if Myrdaal could input our real world agreements (thread, chat etc) into the game that would work.

Hellenes

cunobelinus
10-21-2005, 21:03
na play 1.3 it is installed on peoples that have BI

shifty157
10-21-2005, 21:30
Id prefer 1.2 but ill install 1.3 if i have to.

Also the roman thing shouldnt be too bad as technically the roman players arent allied. They can attack eachother if they want. Although the senate will cause a problem.

I wonder if someone could just make up a quick small mod unifying rome and perhaps evening the playing field a bit.

Ignoramus
10-21-2005, 21:31
But, then Rome is too strong. Here, the Roman factions will need faithful allies.

cunobelinus
10-21-2005, 21:35
actually thinging about it i think 1.2 is the best option

soccerlover10cf
10-21-2005, 21:38
Okay, I have a couple of questions to Myrddraal or General Sun.
General Sun just posted that the mod for MP campaign will be release soon but I have a questions regarding to that. I'm not asking about the game Myrddraal is going to set up right now for testing or something but I'm referring to the downloadable one.
1) Will the final version (Downloadable one) allow us to pick only 2 factions as humans and others as AI?? I just want to play against my brother and I know for the testing one that Myrddraal is doing right now needs all the factions to be humans so I'm just curious about that.
2) To play MP campaign with someone will I need 2 Rome Total War CD's?? Like I said we (My brother and I) have 2 computers in my dorm (University) with separate ethernet line but we only have one CD.
3) This is kind of similar to question #2 but will this MP campaign mod allow us to play as LAN? So actually if this is "Yes" than I believe my #2 question should be "Yes" as well.
Thanks guys!

shifty157
10-21-2005, 22:03
People dont seem to be understanding how exactly this works. Correct me if im wrong but the players do not all play at the same time. The first player starts the game on his own, plays his turn, saves the game, and then emails the save game file to the next player who plays his turn and sends it to the next player. That way 17 people dont have to sit online for hours but only need to play through their turn for 20 or so minutes at their own leisure. Of course it could potentially take days to get through one turn as you have to wait for 16 other people to get around to playing their turn but i dont think the turnaround rate will be that bad. And itll also give you time to formulate your strategies and get some diplomacy done as well as allow you to have several games going at once. I personally cant wait for this to be released officially although i think that myrrdraal will have to create something so that players can choose which factions are player factions and which are AI factions so that any number of people can play.

Myrddraal
10-22-2005, 03:22
shifty has the essence of it. The actual mechanics are slightly more complicated, but most of it is handled by the script.

It should be possible to adapt the script to include AI players, but I'm slightly concerned that the AI may make deals with your faction without you having any choice.... I guess a way around that would be to take out diplomats

hellenes
10-22-2005, 09:06
shifty has the essence of it. The actual mechanics are slightly more complicated, but most of it is handled by the script.

It should be possible to adapt the script to include AI players, but I'm slightly concerned that the AI may make deals with your faction without you having any choice.... I guess a way around that would be to take out diplomats

Can the real life arrangements be imported in the game?ie I agree to pay a 300d tribute to the seleucid leader in exchange of their alliance through the chat/thread can this agreement be imported in the game?

Hellenes

Geoffrey S
10-22-2005, 09:53
That sort of thing would work, as long as the AI isn't involved. Myrddraal, if you want I'd be willing to write up a set of rules for diplomacy among players once I've got some spare time; basically a list of agreements players can make and how to make them using a combination of e-mails/forums/in-game systems (diplomats).

The Stranger
10-22-2005, 11:39
eh...it isnt too hard to kick the senate out of the game. you can have the 3 roman factions as long as you dont have the senate. but what i'm worried about is that there are 3 roman factions...but then again agreements can be made that they wont attack each other headon early...wich i would like ~D

Craterus
10-22-2005, 22:29
wich i would like ~D

I bet you would. Anything to save yourself from getting pounded on all sides...

HINT HINT GAUL and OTHER ROMANS! Smash him immediately!! ~;)

General_Sun
10-22-2005, 22:40
To Hellenes, I would imagine that people might be trading real life money for alliances, :P That would actually make things interesting.

For a true MP campaign, we would need to make all the factions equal in terms of strength and ability. IE, make a new mod.

shifty157
10-22-2005, 23:31
For a true MP campaign, we would need to make all the factions equal in terms of strength and ability. IE, make a new mod.

Well not so much. Differing faction strengths provide a nice playing field for players of varying ability by giving weak players the handicap of a stronger faction. It also brings about more diversity making each faction that much more different in strategy and style than the factions around it. Ultimately i guess it just comes down to the preferences of who youre playing with.

Craterus
10-22-2005, 23:58
The Romans obviously have the advantage in this. And Egypt, those factions get the best income, which I think will be the most important thing in this campaign.

General_Sun
10-23-2005, 00:57
It's very important to give some kind of income equitity to the map, the Nile region, Greece, and any other huge money makers. On the flip side, give Germania, Numidia, etc better income.

I don't care how you good you think you are, but Germania CANNOT survive pass turn four, and Egypt will cream everything in the middle East.

shifty157
10-23-2005, 00:59
The Romans obviously have the advantage in this. And Egypt, those factions get the best income, which I think will be the most important thing in this campaign.

Your statement is very true. However I propose to you that they will not dominate the game. Everyone knows that these are the strongest factions. Its no secret. But i dont care how strong a faction is, it can still be overcome by the combined strength of the weaker factions around it. Im saying that the weaker factions will join together to bring down a common enemy. Its all a question of diplomacy. Can the weak factions overcome their differences and ambitions to overcome the strong or can the strong divide and conquer. The roman factions as well are not allied. They should be very wary of eachother knowing that eventually they will have to turn on a faction equally as strong as them. If i were a roman faction id consider ignoring outward expansion in favor of eliminating the other roman factions and claiming italy as a very good strategy. One that will have huge payoffs later in the game when i wouldnt have to face them in their much stronger form. The romans start out rather bite-sized even to eachother. Egypt however is a bigger problem as its only neighbors are the seleucids and numidia or in other words just the seleucids. Egypt has plenty of room for expansion, the means to do it, and doesnt need to worry about all of its borders. Yes egypt will be difficult to bring down but not impossible. Especially if Rome and egypt were to go head to head. The question would become who of the two has more allies. Rome has a large advantage over egypt in that egypt's prime homelands are much more accessable. Roman expansion creates a buffer zone of conquered land between its homeland and its enemies. Egypt doesnt have this. I have exploited this weakness many times in the singleplayer campaign by sending an invasion force straight to egypt's homelands rather than go the long hard way through its conquered territory.

I forget what my original point. Regardless im sure you get the idea.

Lord Winter
10-23-2005, 06:24
I bet you would. Anything to save yourself from getting pounded on all sides...

HINT HINT GAUL and OTHER ROMANS! Smash him immediately!! ~;)

I could connivently forget greece and their Asia Minor holdings if they attacked the Romans.(might finance a portion of there campaign if they did this for the right price: maps, conquered province, help in my wars ect.)

The Stranger
10-23-2005, 13:51
hooold it...dont get to cocky in here, first i want to know whos who...destroyer...would you care to update the faction list

hellenes
10-23-2005, 15:08
To Hellenes, I would imagine that people might be trading real life money for alliances, :P That would actually make things interesting.

I didnt mean that (otherwise we had to break in to a museum to get some denarii~D ~D ~D )!!!
As far as the equality goes I suggest that the three idiotic Roman satrapies/kingdoms (they ARE hereditary kingdoms) must be replaced with one ROMAN faction like all the rest of them.
Also I would suggest a minor mod Hellenizing the dump 12 years old's Holywood mummies aka making "Egypt" a Ptolemaic kingdom.
Toghether with a income equaliser (in some extent and some with troop upkeep) it will make the MP campaign an enjoyable expereince to everybody.

Hellenes

Geoffrey S
10-23-2005, 15:51
How about the basic premise gets tested first? Whether it works in an acceptable way is most important right now, all this business about which mods should be used or various balancing issues is currently completely irrelevant at the moment.

The Stranger
10-23-2005, 15:59
Rome Must Not Be Replaced With One Faction>>>only The Senate Must Be Dumped...i Dont Really Care How Egypt Looks, Just Fix Ironschest Axemen.

Since The Senate Is Gone, Romans Arent Allied An Can Fight Each Other, See No Problem

General_Sun
10-23-2005, 16:32
Well these things are still to be worked out. But priorities should probably be making the germans and the Numinidians survivable pass turn 10.

The Stranger
10-23-2005, 16:38
eh you should also worry bout the scythians...they arent exactly rich either

hellenes
10-23-2005, 16:47
eh you should also worry bout the scythians...they arent exactly rich either
Well if we could play the battles they scythians are tough since the whole "horse archers own" thing.
But I do care how the "Egyptians" look they are OVERPWOERED, dumped down and most important insulting the intelligence of most people that have any idea about warfare and history.
I agree with the beta testing idea. This campaign wont be to actually win/lose but to see if it works.
If anyone can provide me with the need of 3 IDENTICAL FANTASY Roman Satrapies in a multiplayer enviroment ill accept it.

Hellenes

shifty157
10-23-2005, 18:29
I have found two other people from another forum to play. Theyve tentatively chosen Dacia and Scythia for the moment. Hopefully theyll be registering and posting here officially soon. I just wanted to do them a favor and reserve their spots.

edit: I know one them is having trouble registering. Apparently it wont recognize his username even though he can log in.

Craterus
10-23-2005, 18:31
I won't play until I know it works etc.

Plus, I'm having a few problems with my computer/RTW/BI at the moment, so on the second go, I'll play.

The Stranger
10-23-2005, 20:38
Well if we could play the battles they scythians are tough since the whole "horse archers own" thing.
But I do care how the "Egyptians" look they are OVERPWOERED, dumped down and most important insulting the intelligence of most people that have any idea about warfare and history.
I agree with the beta testing idea. This campaign wont be to actually win/lose but to see if it works.
If anyone can provide me with the need of 3 IDENTICAL FANTASY Roman Satrapies in a multiplayer enviroment ill accept it.

Hellenes

i dont see why not...we should only rule them out when there are not enough people that want to play...since they dont form a alliance anymore they arent as strong as they were

Lord Winter
10-23-2005, 20:43
(The House of Juli) The Stranger
(The House of Bruti) Ignoramus
(The House of Scippi)
(Gaul)
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain)
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Secluded(sp?) Empire)
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage)
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?)

Lord Winter
10-23-2005, 20:50
If Rome was one faction it would be more over powered then it already is with more then one rome they could be fighting aginst each other and weakened. I think strangers idea is good just remove the senete

about egypt: because it is such a rich land it is a target for many factions (sucluideds, numida, cathrage, greece) In single player many people try to take egypt for the fact that it will make them rich and end any financal problems of theres. Also a stratagy i would take if i was playing numida or carthrage would be to distroy it before it can come extremly powerful.

Ignoramus
10-23-2005, 22:00
I'll be Brutii now. Sorry about the change again.

Craterus
10-24-2005, 19:51
I would like to be Britannia, thank you! :toff:

hellenes
10-25-2005, 11:49
If Rome was one faction it would be more over powered then it already is with more then one rome they could be fighting aginst each other and weakened. I think strangers idea is good just remove the senete

about egypt: because it is such a rich land it is a target for many factions (sucluideds, numida, cathrage, greece) In single player many people try to take egypt for the fact that it will make them rich and end any financal problems of theres. Also a stratagy i would take if i was playing numida or carthrage would be to distroy it before it can come extremly powerful.

But the 3 Roman Satrapies are needed ONLY as SP challenge element, they share LOS and most important SERVE NO purpose.
Who will stop egyptian nile cavalry? A tier 1 stables unit? With a huge size and dirt cheam upkeep? The low tech chariots that OWN autocalculated battles? The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)? The banged Seleucids? Who have insane build requirements to get some decent units?
Maybe we should split all factions into three so people that whant to play them all get a slot?(ie house of Argids, House of Aianids, House of Antigonids for the Greek Cities faction so everybody that whant to play as the Greeks gets a share...)
The bottom line remains that either "Egypt" gets a REALITY check ie becomes SAME as Seleucids with higher upkeep for units, and the 12years' olds' c00l Roman satrapies mold into ONE SAME AS OTHERS faction without any stupid civil wars from 270bc, or we end up with people moaning how "Egypt" 0wnz everybody and the stupid Blue and green romans are everywhere...

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-25-2005, 19:37
dont forget the red...i think that we only have to rule them out if not enough people check in, so we will prolly rule m out.

Lord Winter
10-26-2005, 01:04
But the 3 Roman Satrapies are needed ONLY as SP challenge element, they share LOS and most important SERVE NO purpose.
Who will stop egyptian nile cavalry? A tier 1 stables unit? With a huge size and dirt cheam upkeep? The low tech chariots that OWN autocalculated battles? The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)? The banged Seleucids? Who have insane build requirements to get some decent units?
Maybe we should split all factions into three so people that whant to play them all get a slot?(ie house of Argids, House of Aianids, House of Antigonids for the Greek Cities faction so everybody that whant to play as the Greeks gets a share...)
The bottom line remains that either "Egypt" gets a REALITY check ie becomes SAME as Seleucids with higher upkeep for units, and the 12years' olds' c00l Roman satrapies mold into ONE SAME AS OTHERS faction without any stupid civil wars from 270bc, or we end up with people moaning how "Egypt" 0wnz everybody and the stupid Blue and green romans are everywhere...
Hellenes
About Egypt: There units are overpowered but I think the wealth of the region should remain the same. If I was misunderstood in my post I apologize. I agree that the Egyptian units need to be overhauled. Egypt is a challenge that can be overcome if the right steps are taken.

The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)?

The Numidans can still help.
Egypt can only support so many armies. Eventhough the Numidans wouldn't play a major role in there defeat they would still help.

The Romans would be over balanced if the factions were allied or they had the whole peninsula at the start. With the way the stranger is proposing it they would be free to fight among each other and somewhat weaken these factions. It is not historically accurate but it is better then a unified Rome being overpowered

Another option would be to give the Greek city states some of the Peninsula(like in RTR). This IMHO would work the best to stop Rome from being overpowered

kingwill
10-26-2005, 10:31
if the egyptians get made into a clone of the seleucids ar at least get made to be slightly greek then i will play as them.

also i vote for version 1.2 since everybody has it and i cant seem to unlock the numidians with the 1.3 version.

Ignoramus
10-26-2005, 10:40
Remove all the chariots, make Egypt like Seleucia. Keep Rome split into 3 factions. I suggest removing all after marius units for Rome. That way, much more difficult.

kingwill
10-26-2005, 11:59
right i have just removed all the egyptian units and given the egyptians the same units as the seleucids except no scythed chariots or cataphracts or silver shield legion. what shall i do about the really poor factions?

hellenes
10-26-2005, 15:02
Ive started to work on a RTR LIGHT mod whith all units replaced by RTR historical units, Unified Rome, AND the map VANILLA 100%, Unit stats vanilla (except egyptian units and units that have been completely replaced)... The workload is much but if we get toghether its just text file replacement...
I believe that a Vanilla Light RTR mod will suit the balance and customization of a MP campaign.
PS Im tuning the 1.3 version
also here http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=672 is the all factions mod for 1.3/BI.

edit
The UNIFIED rome can be restricted to 3-4 provinces including rome, its units can be regulated and with the addiction of greeks in the peninsula they wont be overpowered.

Hellenes

Lord Winter
10-26-2005, 15:24
Ive started to work on a RTR LIGHT mod whith all units replaced by RTR historical units, Unified Rome, AND the map VANILLA 100%, Unit stats vanilla (except egyptian units and units that have been completely replaced)... The workload is much but if we get toghether its just text file replacement...
I believe that a Vanilla Light RTR mod will suit the balance and customization of a MP campaign.
PS Im tuning the 1.3 version
also here http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=672 is the all factions mod for 1.3/BI.

edit
The UNIFIED rome can be restricted to 3-4 provinces including rome, its units can be regulated and with the addiction of greeks in the peninsula they wont be overpowered.

Hellenes

I would be glad to help if you want me to.

kingwill
10-26-2005, 16:44
I have already made a mod to remove all non british chariots from the basic 1.2 game. I also made the Egyptians into a clone of the Seleucids. and doubled the starting denarii of the Germans, Dacians Scythians and numidians in order to give them a chance to last more then 10 turns. can i be changed to egypt please.

kingwill
10-26-2005, 17:06
can you put the faction numidia under the name Tedward, it says he has activated his account but everytime he tries to reply to this thread it says he hasnt go the priveliges to reply.

hellenes
10-26-2005, 18:00
I would be glad to help if you want me to.
Thank you for your offer this way we/I can finish this quicker.
TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP:
Send me your email through PM and Ill provide the so far finished progress.
What Im doing is Ive copied the RTR folder from RTR/data it includes all skins, models and sprites so Im copying the soldiers from RTR descr_models.txt to the vanilla one and assign the soldiers to vanilla export_units.txt some soldiers will share models (like the RTRpontus heavy javelin cavalry that replaces the vanilla early General for Parthia/Armenia, and the RTRhorse archers) thats pretty much all, now for Egypt its a special case since all faction is completely DUMPED down in vanilla so all the RTR units erase them, with stats NOT from RTR but from the Seleucids.
Now we have some cases of units that need to be decided whether they must GO or be tolerated like a 12 years' old's caprice:

Dogs:

Pros- Used in battles
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the barbarians
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY scarce battles, very rarely
- Regenerate in a VERY unbalanced way
- Unattackable (just in case we get the battles to work)
- Romans use them which makes them even more overpowered (the romans)

Screeching Women:

Pros- Followed men on the battlefield
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Germans
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY scarce battles, very rarely
- Didnt fight!!!
- Look VERY stupid *SUBJECTIVE*
- Unaccurate cheerleaders in mini skirts from the 70's holding axes like holding male genitalia.

Burning Pigs:

Pros- Used in battles
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the game
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
- Are one way to outweight elephants

Cons- Used only in ONE battle
- Used with VERY limited success (contrary to the game's depiction)
- Never used after that one battle
- Regenerate in a VERY unbalanced way (not so much as the dogs but still)
- There are other ways to balance elephants

Onagers:

Pros- Used in battles
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the game
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
- Speed up sieges

Cons- Way out of time frame
- Grossly unbalanced patriot rockets (proof-No art online games)
- Historically inaccurate even by 1st Cetury ad standards
- Even if balanced derive from the classical NOT dominated by artillery battlefield

Scythian Noble Women/Virgin Headhunters:

Pros- Fought alongside men on the battlefield
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Scythians
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY small numbers compared to the men
- Engine limitations forbid their impelentation as all unit must look the same (except maybe for standard bearers/officers)
- Historically innaccurate look: Same inaccurate cheerleaders in mini skirts from the 70's holding axes like holding male genitalia just with a different skin.

Headhurlers

Pros- The Celts collected heads
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Britons
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- The Celts would NEVER throw away a trophy of magical importance and honour.
- Generally a VERY medievalistic idea out of the timeframe.

Arcani

Pros- The Romans had a special force of assasins
- Like MTW Hashishins the story continues
- Are "fun" ninjas/nazgul *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- The assasins were THAT ASSASINS not participating in ANY battle.
- Look like VERY stupid sadomazochists *SUBJECTIVE*
- Offer nothing more than a small unit with 2 HP on the battlefield

Gladiators

Pros- Spartacus, revolt, gladiators...
- Are "fun" and cause Ive watched Russel Crow 12345 times on dvd *SUBJECTIVE*
- Can be used in slave revolutions.

Cons- Spartacus' gladiators fought in looted from the dead Romans weaponry not with Gladiator gear which is USLESS for mass field battles.
- Offer nothing more than a small unit with 2 HP on the battlefield
- Engine limitations on changing gear and looting it from the enemy (even if we got them as gladiators at the beggining)

Bull Warriors

Pros- Spanish unit line if quite poor so...
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Look VERY stupid *SUBJECTIVE*
- Pure FANTASY
- Plenty of historical units on hand to replace

Scythian/German Axemen

Pros- Scythian/German unit line if quite poor so...
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
- They might have had such a unit...

- Pure FANTASY
- They might have had Jedi knights, Pokemon, and Buffy the Vampireslayer

Druids

Pros- Druids fought in battles
- Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
- Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Barbarians

- They didnt fight with Communist gear neither were chating to support the troops.
- Might be ONLY used as officers.
- Not necessary

Hellenes

shifty157
10-26-2005, 21:32
Ok both of the people i was talking about earlier have a registered username and everything but arent allowed to post. I have no idea whats wrong so for the time being they'll be talking through me. Im giving them temporary names for the moment.

Predator - Scythia
KashmirKing - Dacia

Both say that they have v1.2 installed though im sure they wouldnt mind a balancing mod if it was made.

Hopefully whatever the forum problem is will be fixed soon. Do we know if anyone knows/is working on this problem?

In my opinion, a balancing mod would be a good idea.

Ignoramus
10-26-2005, 23:15
Well, if Rome is unified, then it would be either me or The Stranger. I'll pm him and work this out.

Myrddraal
10-27-2005, 01:57
I'm not sure Rome should be unified, simiply so that more people can play.

Remember, historical accuracy is not the key here, we just need to get the ball rolling.

Once this starts out properly, I'm sure there will be mp campaigns for every mod.

shifty157
10-27-2005, 02:00

Remember, historical accuracy is not the key here, we just need to get the ball rolling.

Once this starts out properly, I'm sure there will be mp campaigns for every mod.

Granted. Although we still dont have all the spots filled. Its not like we're having a rush and we have to turn people away. Is someone advertising this anywhere?

Myrddraal
10-27-2005, 02:07
I don't think so. Feel free to, I wonder how many people in the MP subforums never look here?

hellenes
10-27-2005, 10:37

Its not only a Historical accuracy matter but a gameplay and BALANCE, Also as Shifty 157 said its not like we have thousands of people rushing in, 17 factions will be enough, without the Senate and because its MP I see NO point of having 3 Identical Roman States...
Feel free to correct me...

Hellenes

kingwill
10-27-2005, 14:35
why does it matter if there are 3 roman factions if they are enemies then it will not be overpowerful also it is much simpler to leave them where they are , its not like the greek cities need the extra land they would get.

hellenes
10-27-2005, 18:31
why does it matter if there are 3 roman factions if they are enemies then it will not be overpowerful also it is much simpler to leave them where they are , its not like the greek cities need the extra land they would get.

Because its going to end up a parody of historical wargaming. Will we lose any UNIQUE faction? Nope we just lose the unessessary clone fiction and the green blue guys. There is NO senate NO need to be challenged at end game YOU can be challenge throught the campaign since you will compete with ones that have same IQ as you not 1000 times lower (like SP "AI").
Well the RTR MP Light MOD will be ready soon and then everyone can judge whether it creates a BALANCED and sensible game.

Hellenes

Geoffrey S
10-27-2005, 19:42
I'd have thought three Roman factions getting orders from the senate could be fun in multiplayer, particularly once its time for a civil war; just think, other players could actually attempt to cash in on the situation unlike the AI in the regular game. It would also add a new dimension to the competition between the three playable Roman factions.

Anyway, as Myddraal said the emphasis should be on getting the system working. If people want to have an historically accurate mod or any number of other options, there's sure to be adaptions of the more popular existing mods for the multiplayer campaign. Right now the focus should be on testing the game for bugs and playability, and worrying about balance and personal preferences later.

hellenes
10-27-2005, 20:03
I'd have thought three Roman factions getting orders from the senate could be fun in multiplayer, particularly once its time for a civil war; just think, other players could actually attempt to cash in on the situation unlike the AI in the regular game. It would also add a new dimension to the competition between the three playable Roman factions.

Anyway, as Myddraal said the emphasis should be on getting the system working. If people want to have an historically accurate mod or any number of other options, there's sure to be adaptions of the more popular existing mods for the multiplayer campaign. Right now the focus should be on testing the game for bugs and playability, and worrying about balance and personal preferences later.

Well then Im gonna be the Senate Ill order all three factions to SURRENDER their armies/lands back to the real ruling state and thus use them to conquer the world!!!jkn:charge: :charge: :knight: :knight: ~:joker: ~:joker:

Three playable Roman factions... Now doesnt that sound nice? that Roman republic was a feudalised MEDIEVAL state? With barons and Dukes owning estates and being loosely united by the king/Senate? So to make the MILITARY ONLY civil wars that NOT factions but individual GENERALS and their armies fought?
I know that CA treats us like impared 12 years olds that doesnt mean that we have to keep this and support it...
The ONLY reason for the dumped down feudalised excuse of a republic to exist is the late challenge in SP. I can ensure you as far as the Greek cities are concerned you will get plenty of challnge.

Hellenes

shifty157
10-27-2005, 21:17
Well id have to agree with other people in saying that this is not a major build and its really only to test it out and see how it works. Im perfectly fine if we play vanilla (although i would like the senate removed and the three roman factions not allied). Im also perfectly fine if you want to create a simple mp mod. I just want to get this campaign started because it will take quite a while to play through.

Hellenes, if you can finish your mod by next week (monday would be awesome) then i vote that we play hellenes mod. I know thats a bit of a rush but remember this is just an initial test. Youll have plenty of other chances to play mods that are as historically accurate as you want. Otherwise if you cant get your mod done by then i say that we just play Vanilla1.2 with the senate removed and the romans not as allies. In the meantime we need to fill the remaining spots so it would be a good idea to start spreading the word. Hellenes if you are able to get your mod done then please post so as soon as you can along with your new faction list so we know how many spots are left.

In the meantime can we have an updated faction list for Vanilla1.2 and who has each faction along with their email and/or AIM.

Again I will play as Thrace. My email is shifty@verizon.net. My AIM is shifty75.
Predator will be playing as Scythia. His AIM is stretch388.
KashmirKing will be playing as Dacia. His AIM is DrPhlogiston01.

Ignoramus
10-27-2005, 22:52
I'll be Carthage then, since Rome will be unified.

Lord Winter
10-28-2005, 00:43
List updated
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul)
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain)
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Secluded Empire)
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramus
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?)

Lord Xelous
10-28-2005, 10:33
Good Afternoon good sirs,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Lord Xelous, or the lordz, www.thelordz.co.uk, I have had a message in the back of the boards from Lord Fisbourne, asking me to look into your troubles.

To the OP, if you wish to discuss a tool to exchange files please contact me on the lordz forums via PM, and I will look into it. I have limited time however, but something might be knocked up, maybe not via e-mail, but possibly a central file transfer (a little like peer-to-peer), but for just these RTW save files.

I will again read this post in full later, but until then, LFB has put me on your case, please get in touch and I will discuss your ideas.

Regards

Lord Xelous

:charge:

hellenes
10-28-2005, 13:12
Well id have to agree with other people in saying that this is not a major build and its really only to test it out and see how it works. Im perfectly fine if we play vanilla (although i would like the senate removed and the three roman factions not allied). Im also perfectly fine if you want to create a simple mp mod. I just want to get this campaign started because it will take quite a while to play through.

Hellenes, if you can finish your mod by next week (monday would be awesome) then i vote that we play hellenes mod. I know thats a bit of a rush but remember this is just an initial test. Youll have plenty of other chances to play mods that are as historically accurate as you want. Otherwise if you cant get your mod done by then i say that we just play Vanilla1.2 with the senate removed and the romans not as allies. In the meantime we need to fill the remaining spots so it would be a good idea to start spreading the word. Hellenes if you are able to get your mod done then please post so as soon as you can along with your new faction list so we know how many spots are left.

In the meantime can we have an updated faction list for Vanilla1.2 and who has each faction along with their email and/or AIM.

Again I will play as Thrace. My email is shifty@verizon.net. My AIM is shifty75.
Predator will be playing as Scythia. His AIM is stretch388.
KashmirKing will be playing as Dacia. His AIM is DrPhlogiston01.

My RTR light mod will be done The LATEST by the end of next week (Sunday) Ill see what Destroyer of Hope has accomplished so far.
Now I have this Idea:
Make ALL faction units unique: like the Hellenistic states will seemingly share units like levy pikemen BUT in the code they will have EACH their own levy pikemen unit.
So then this units will be restricted to the historicall areas of that factions NO GOVERNMENT buildings eg. you can build levy pikemen as the Macedon in your homelands NOWHERE else!
Also each individual unit will have separate costs depending on the INCOME of each faction's homelands eg. Seleucid levy pikemen/pikemen/Companions will cost higher and have higher upkeep than the Thracian or Makedonian pikemen.
This way Numidia/Germany/Scythia and other poor countries will have lower upkeep/cost for their units and will compete BUT they will NOT dominate because they will produce units ONLY in their homelands.
Of course this all is going to be tested and tested and balanced balanced balanced balanced balanced....
But for the time being the light mod will suffice.
If anyone wants to assist with/has any different ideas feel free to comment.

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-28-2005, 16:14
s''cool

kingwill
10-29-2005, 23:05
i agree with making each factions units unique, but i think that the area of recruitment is a bit extreme.

Lord Winter
10-30-2005, 00:07
My RTR light mod will be done The LATEST by the end of next week (Sunday) Ill see what Destroyer of Hope has accomplished so far.
Now I have this Idea:
Make ALL faction units unique: like the Hellenistic states will seemingly share units like levy pikemen BUT in the code they will have EACH their own levy pikemen unit.
So then this units will be restricted to the historicall areas of that factions NO GOVERNMENT buildings eg. you can build levy pikemen as the Macedon in your homelands NOWHERE else!
Also each individual unit will have separate costs depending on the INCOME of each faction's homelands eg. Seleucid levy pikemen/pikemen/Companions will cost higher and have higher upkeep than the Thracian or Makedonian pikemen.
This way Numidia/Germany/Scythia and other poor countries will have lower upkeep/cost for their units and will compete BUT they will NOT dominate because they will produce units ONLY in their homelands.
Of course this all is going to be tested and tested and balanced balanced balanced balanced balanced....
But for the time being the light mod will suffice.
If anyone wants to assist with/has any different ideas feel free to comment.

Hellenes

Would it be easier to play RTR If you want to put in a ZoR.

Silver Rusher
10-30-2005, 15:19
If someone hasn't already taken it (it isn't on the list) could I please be Iberia?

EDIT: If not Iberia then could I have the Seleucids?

Geoffrey S
10-30-2005, 15:30
Looks like neither are taken, so take your pick!

hellenes
10-30-2005, 18:57
i agree with making each factions units unique, but i think that the area of recruitment is a bit extreme.

Well can you imagine the Scythians with their cheap as hell horse archers taking some of those rich greek cities? They will steamroll everyone!!! And making all provinces same as far income is concerned doesnt sound very attractive... With the ZoR idea we have multiple benefits:
1. We keep the economic side of the map pluralist and historical (Nomad Scythians, Rich Seleucids/Ptolemies, Balanced Romans).
2. We can make units cheap for the poor civs and expensive for the rich.
3. We avoid ganging and blitzing.
If we dont do that we either:
1. Have to make all provines same as far as the income is concerned.
2. Have to make all units cost the same as in Vanilla RTW (which will kill Numidia, Scythia, Germania etc)
Also this way the game will be VERY balanced IMO since the blitz madness expansion wont happen that easily.
BTW Ive finished converting the Eastern factions to RTR units:
The cataphracts now have a bow instead of mace since the RTR model doesnt have one.
Every unit has been replaced by a RTR one as far as the look is concerned.
Also Im planning to make these Civs even more unique alas:
Parthia/Scythia: No infantry AT ALL BUT cheaper than Armenians' Horse Archers and some more variety in the Cavalry.
Still there are some Issues with the fantasy units, I cant find anywhere any models/skins for the Scythian female warriors.
Destroyer
RTR has this.... well... siegefest map whith a HUGE number of tightly packed cities so its quite hard to play espesially in MP.
BTW what about the RTR Light mod?
Can you start converting the Romans? Or anyone you want...

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-30-2005, 19:35
whats the point in converting their looks when we autoresolve...

hellenes
10-30-2005, 19:40
whats the point in converting their looks when we autoresolve...

Well its not that we will autoresolve forever (at least im not intended to) lol!!!
~D ~D ~D
Myrdaal is planning to make the battles to be transferred as HISTORICAL battles from the campaign to the online and the results of the logfiles as a SPAWN armies script back to the campaign...

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-30-2005, 19:57
omg, i dunno if i can play then

hellenes
10-30-2005, 20:01
omg, i dunno if i can play then

Well its very unlikely to happen in the lifetime of the first mp campaign so dont worry!!!~:cheers: ~:cheers: ~:cheers:

Hellenes

cunobelinus
10-30-2005, 20:13
when we starting this campaign

cunobelinus
10-30-2005, 20:14
and if it is on rtr i will have to pull out of this!!!

hellenes
10-30-2005, 20:21
when we starting this campaign

When we get all 19 factions slots filled.

and if it is on rtr i will have to pull out of this!!!

Well you havent got a faction so you wont be "pulling out of this" since youre not even IN this~D ~D ~D ~D ~;) ~;) ...
Its NOT for RTR but most probably it will be a specific BALANCED mod with the VANILLA map/ Unit LOOKS form RTR and anti blitz reqruitment restriction like ZoR...

Hellenes

Ignoramus
10-30-2005, 21:23
littlrgannon is germania.

Silver Rusher
10-30-2005, 21:49
Hmm... I think I will play as the Seleucids. I would prefer the power to the challenge methinks...:charge:

kingwill
10-31-2005, 00:58
im confused about the unit upkeep thing, does this mean that the rich factions arent really rich because they will pay more for all their units?

Ignoramus
10-31-2005, 06:15
Does this require RTR? I hope not.

menander
10-31-2005, 07:18
Could I play? I'd like to be either Armenia or Parthia (If that's possible)

hellenes
10-31-2005, 12:32
im confused about the unit upkeep thing, does this mean that the rich factions arent really rich because they will pay more for all their units?

Rich factions will get higher upkeep for their units in order to BALANCE them and same for the poor who will get lower upkeep in order to survive.

Does this require RTR? I hope not

Its NOT for RTR but most probably it will be a specific BALANCED mod with the VANILLA map/ Unit LOOKS form RTR and anti blitz reqruitment restriction like ZoR.

Hellenes

The Stranger
10-31-2005, 13:40
GAH only the late units will be expensive...its unfair if the early units like townwatch and hastati are expensive, even rome has problem with money the first 10-15 turns. and only change upkeep not recruitment cost

Lord Winter
10-31-2005, 17:13
LIst updated a junior member PM me and will be playing as spain
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul)
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Secluded(sp?) Empire) silver rusher
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramas
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?) menender
If I missed anyone please let me know

Hellenes

iI have over half of rome finished. I have been and still will be fairly busy so i cant do to much, but i will finish rome by tomorrow.

Duke Malcolm
10-31-2005, 17:18
Now, which version are we going to be using?

hellenes
10-31-2005, 18:23
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul)
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramas
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?) menender

Hellenes

iI have over half of rome finished. I have been and still will be fairly busy so i cant do to much, but i will finish rome by tomorrow.

Here
http://rapidshare.de/files/6958455/RomLegionMOD.exe.html
are the late realistic roman legions from an enhachement pack of RTR you can use it for the Late romans.

Now, which version are we going to be using?

The RTR Light mod is on 1.3 RTW so we avoid the save load inconsistencies, and some bugs (like horse archers not shooting on move bug).

GAH only the late units will be expensive...its unfair if the early units like townwatch and hastati are expensive, even rome has problem with money the first 10-15 turns. and only change upkeep not recruitment cost

Its all going to be balanced and tested. But as far as the reqruitment cost is concerned the units tactical importance combined with the stats will shape that with a bit of the state's future economical and structural development.
Eg: The base Parthian Horse Archers are statwise not that strong and wont beat many units in h2h combat but their tactical importance is ENORMOUS but also they will be more expensive than the Scythian ones since the Scythians are NOMADIC and cannot develop trade and their settlements as good as the Parthians with their silk roads etc...

Hellenes

Geoffrey S
10-31-2005, 18:30
Hellenes, are you referring to your mod or the multiplayer campaign? If your posts are referring to your realism/balance mod could you please be so kind as to start a seperate topic on the subject, since I'm finding it confusing as to what relates directly to the multiplayer campaign.

hellenes
10-31-2005, 19:17
Hellenes, are you referring to your mod or the multiplayer campaign? If your posts are referring to your realism/balance mod could you please be so kind as to start a seperate topic on the subject, since I'm finding it confusing as to what relates directly to the multiplayer campaign.

Youre right...
I just thought that it wouldnt be so fun Egypt, Rome and everyone blitzing each other with the sole purpose to exploit the HUGE imbalance of the vanilla game...
Ill stop making the RTR light MP mod if thats what the majority of the participants whant...

Hellenes

Bonny
10-31-2005, 20:18
Hallo,
i just found this thread, and was shocked ~:eek: finally my dream of ever having a playable campaign mp comes true. ~:joker:
If the gauls or parthia are still free, i would like to play gaul
my email is Bonny4k@gmx.de, my versions are Rome 1.3, 1.2 or rtr.

The Stranger
10-31-2005, 23:15
what do you mean with nomadic, will they be horde. that would be a nice feature

menander
11-01-2005, 02:03
hellenes mod is specifically designed for Multiplayer like this, so it seems fair that its in this thread.

hellenes, how long will it be 'til you can finish the mod? 'Cause I want to get stuck into this ASAP...

|Arcani|Phate
11-01-2005, 03:03
Hello Myddraal,

Im Phate of Arcani a respected online rome clan.... we are atm actually jus organising a multiplayer game through our forum at www.total-arcani.tk and this mod would be perfect for us to test.. we have 20 people already set up with all the rules we'l be using rdy to go... plus there will be no cheating... we can keep a record of any bugs we come across better than people that are playing together that dont rly know each other, also the 20 people that would be playing are people that will be on every day and keep it up to fully test it...

Myrddraal
11-01-2005, 03:15
Great!

This isn't an exclusive mod, we can have two campaign games running at the same time. The one which is currently organised in this thread will still be played (if they ever decide which mod to use :wink:), and I can set up a second game for your clan.

If you would please contact me on msn:
mad_toad@hotmail.com

hellenes
11-01-2005, 10:51
hellenes mod is specifically designed for Multiplayer like this, so it seems fair that its in this thread.

hellenes, how long will it be 'til you can finish the mod? 'Cause I want to get stuck into this ASAP...

Well if Destroyer finishes the Romans then Id say that sunday would be a good estimate. But still well need to decide on units production/upkeep costs of course with the aid of the opinion of everyone participating.
Ill make a separate thread on the fantasy units so we decide which will go and which will stay.

what do you mean with nomadic, will they be horde. that would be a nice feature

This isnt for BI and hording is a BI feature so in orther to not force people into buying BI they wont be a horde BUT their unit upkeep and the restrictionds on their area will make them nomadic in a abstract way.
What i meant by saying that is NOMADIC is the reference from history.

CA doesnt like to spend time on balancing games since they think of the MP as a b@st@rd child of SP so if anyone thinks they can play ONLINE (not LAN with friends) with strangers the vanilla game and not be put off by the lack of balance and huge exploit holes theyre free to try it.

Hellenes

dreadedmob
11-01-2005, 19:05
gl with this

|Arcani|Phate
11-01-2005, 19:19
Thanks, that would be great..

Wheir all using rome total war 1.3 right now so versions shouldn't be any problem.
Erm how where u planning on distributing the mod? how big is it?

hey mob btw ;)

Ignoramus
11-03-2005, 05:40
What is required with the internet with the Multiplayer?

Myrddraal
11-03-2005, 16:33
You just need a net connection, it doesn't even need to be fast... :smile:

Phate, when you give me the emails, I will send the files each player needs with instructions on how to use them. I'll 'supervise' the first few turns, then once the ball is rolling you can continue yourselves :bow:

|Arcani|Phate
11-04-2005, 05:22
Ok cool, you cud send all the faction files etc.. to phate101101@gmail.com then i'l pass them onto the rest of the clan, save u the trouble..

Ignoramus
11-04-2005, 07:28
This won't be having playable battles I hope? Because that would be too difficult for me.

menander
11-04-2005, 08:33
Auto-Resolve for the battles, I think.

my email is plozankh@hotmail.com

Myrddraal
11-04-2005, 16:20
your right, battles must be auto-resolved in this version.

Geoffrey S
11-04-2005, 19:06
Some quick questions on that. Does the attacking player decide to fight, or the defending player? How does withdrawing work?

Geoffrey S
11-04-2005, 19:13
And at Myddraal's request an early version of diplomacy rules. There'll be more to come when there's time, but this is mainly on the implementation of the existing diplomacy commands. Any particular thoughts on this, or ideas you'd like to see presented?

Myddraal, the second paragraph of the diplomacy list still stands, I could use some more info on diplomats.

Right, I’ve got a rough list of diplomatic options from the original game sorted along with a suggested implementation. As I’m not entirely familiar with RTW’s mechanics or how you’ll be implementing them in the multiplayer campaign some suggestions may not be feasible, please let me know if this is the case.

In any case I was wondering if it’s at all possible to edit diplomatic offers so that they’re always accepted by the AI? This would allow players to discuss offers on a messageboard and then perform their side of the deal through diplomats in-game. If this is not possible I will send a revised diplomacy guide as soon as possible; this new version would be far more heavily based in forums and trusting other players to stick to agreements, and probably require players to keep notes in a program like Word to keep track of things. Perhaps you’d prefer that regardless?

Original diplomacy commands

In general there are two aspects to diplomacy: inside the game and working out agreements in forums along with PMs. In most cases initial diplomatic contact is via forums, where the offer/demand is made and details are worked out. The conclusion is implemented inside the game using diplomats.

Offer trade rights
Player offers trade rights via forums; receiving player can accept, decline or add demands. If agreement is reached a diplomat is used ingame to offer trade rights.

Cancel trade rights
Player informs via forums, then uses diplomat to cancel trade rights.

Offer alliance
Player offers alliance via forums; receiving player can accept, decline or add demands. If agreement is reached a diplomat is used ingame to offer alliance. Trade rights are required before this step is possible.

Cancel alliance
Player informs via forums, then uses diplomat to cancel alliance.

Request map information
Player requests map info via forums; queried player can accept, decline or add demands. If agreement is reached a diplomat is sent by queried player to grant map information.

Offer map information
Player offers map information to another player via forums. This can be as a gift or in return for something else. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once agreement is reached the offering player sends a diplomat to grant map information.

Request military access
Player requests military access via forums; queried player can accept, decline or add demands. If agreement is reached the queried player sends diplomat to offer military access.

Offer military access
Player offers military access to another player via forums. This can be as a gift or in return for something else. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once agreement is reached the offering player sends a diplomat to grant military access.

Offer single payment
Player offers single payment to another player via forums, either as a gift or expecting a return. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once an agreement is reached the offering player sends a diplomat to grant the money.

Demand single payment
Player requests a single payment from another player. Queried player can accept, decline or make counter-proposal. Once agreement is reached a diplomat is sent by the queried player to send the money.

Offer regular tribute
Player offers a regular tribute to another faction via forums. This can be as a gift or in return for a favour. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once agreement is reached the offering player dispatches a diplomat to grant the tribute.

Demand regular tribute
Player requests a regular tribute from another player. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once an agreement is reached a diplomat is sent to by queried player to make over the money.

Offer region(s)
Player offers a region to another player via forums, either as gift or expecting a concession. Queried player can accept, decline or make a counter-proposal. Once agreement is reached the offering player sends a diplomat to grant the region(s).

Demand region(s)
Player demands regions from another player via forums. Queried player can accept, decline or make counterproposal. Once agreement is reached the queried player sends a diplomat to grant the requested lands.

Offer ceasefire
Player offers a ceasefire to a player with which he’s at war, via forums. Queried player can accept, decline or add demands. Once agreement is reached a diplomat is sent by either player to offer ceasefire.

Make protectorate
A player requests another player’s faction to become a protectorate. Queried player can accept, decline or request concessions. It’s probably best if this remains an agreement arranged on the forums, as the game may place unwanted conditions on a protectorate or provider of protectorates.

Bribery
This occurs ingame. A diplomat is used to bribe a unit on the map; I’d suggest a standard trait to make units far more costly to bribe though.

New ideas

A number of ideas that have occurred to me which could be interesting and made possible through flexible playing.

Hostages
A faction can offer demand a familymember (such as the heir) in return for something else or to cement an alliance. This faction member is sent to the heart of another factions territories, possibly under guard of another faction’s units. If any transgression is detected this (heavily outnumbered) family member will be executed.

Demand disbandment of certain units
A player can demand another faction disbands certain units. This could be all artillery units in a certain province, or a certain amount of ships.

Request removal of other faction’s units from certain region
If hostile or neutral units are placed inside a player’s borders this player can request for these units to be removed.

Attack other factions
This can be expanded incredibly when compared to vanilla. Request can be made in forums, with details on army placements, key targets, intelligence etc. Then this is implemented ingame insofar this is possible. This could also work in offering assistance against another faction, in financial or military ways.

Set areas of control
Agreements can be reached with another player about borders; for instance, a Roman player can demand the Carthaginians under no circumstances position forces north of the Ebro.

Tone of requests/demands
Basically, the phrasing of diplomacy is up to the players. A player can be pleading or threatening; a player can state that he’s in need of money due to an ongoing war with the Gauls, or remind another player of the large army of legionaries near the German border when requesting a regular tribute. This side of things is really up to the players.

Public announcements or backroom dealings?
I’m not sure how far to go when it comes to formal agreements. Should an alliance be announced publicly, or only if it suits the participants? I’m in favour of the latter, leaving it up to players to decide if they want other factions to know about agreements. Public appeals for help against an invading faction for instance can be made in general forums, whilst a request to cancel a previous alliance can be backroom PMs until participants decide it’s time. If necessary I’ll sort out another list of public statements next week.

---

Hopefully this is of some use. If there are things missing or additions you'd like I'll get them included for a future version.

Geoffrey

The Stranger
11-04-2005, 20:32
there is only one problem, is the AI also disabled at diplomace, cuz normally they wont accept everything and what the player may accept the AI wont

menander
11-05-2005, 02:38
Isn't there some kind of diplomaacy cheat that we could use?

Myrddraal
11-05-2005, 03:52
there is, but I don't think it works outside of scripts....
fds

Some quick questions on that. Does the attacking player decide to fight, or the defending player? How does withdrawing work?

You know, I never considered withdrawing... At the moment, I think you can't withdraw unless you're attacking, and its the attacker that presses the auto-resolve button....

Myrddraal
11-05-2005, 03:54
On behalf of LordRaiden

i would like to play as the Gauls please but it won't let me post for some reason

LordRaiden
no mods
LordRaiden@TrueGamers.us

also ide like to know.. are you making a real time/turn based MP campaign? just like the SP but with another player and maybe savable

will this one (on its release) beable to support JUST 2 players playing? or do you have to get a whole group together.

i am just looking to play real time over lan with 2-3 of my friends

Are the gauls still free?

About playing over lan, it is theoretically possible to have AI players, but I think this may cause some bugs... Over LAN should also be possible... In theory its possible to play by floppy disk :wink:

Lord Winter
11-05-2005, 04:16
List updated
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul) LordRiaden
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramus
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?) menender

Myrddraal
11-05-2005, 04:26
Could someone advertise this at another site so we can get the last player?

Heinrich VI
11-05-2005, 05:06
*grabs parthia*
i'd love to help testing/playing this ~:)

Silver Rusher
11-05-2005, 19:59
And we have our last player!

Diplomacy is going to be sticky, but the cheat should work just as long as nobody decides to cheat and use it to sap loads of money off their opponents. If we do use the cheat, how are we going to stop others from cheating and using it to their advantage in subtle ways?

Lord Winter
11-05-2005, 20:04
Our final list Myrddraal could you put this on the first post
(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul) LordRiaden
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramus
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia) Heinreich 5
(Armarania(sp?) menender

Bonny
11-05-2005, 20:06
Ok, i see all factions are taken ~:mecry: ....if you were making a second multiplayer campaign or need a replacement, please pm me ~:)

Myrddraal
11-05-2005, 21:37
OK players, PM me with your email addresses now!

Bonny, if enough players want another game, just post and we'll get one running.

Clans, if you want to organise a game, feel free.

Silver Rusher
11-05-2005, 22:04
Might I suggest that we limit the first turn to production and no war? It will be like a hangover to begin playing the campaign only to find that half of your towns are already being besieged. This way we give the players a chance to fortify their positions before the attacks come.

Duke Malcolm
11-06-2005, 14:30
Yes, that would be excellent.

Ignoramus
11-06-2005, 22:15
Especially as some towns i.e Sparta, Pergamum, don't have walls.

Lord Winter
11-07-2005, 16:18
Might I suggest that we limit the first turn to production and no war? It will be like a hangover to begin playing the campaign only to find that half of your towns are already being besieged. This way we give the players a chance to fortify their positions before the attacks come.
I agree

Craterus
11-07-2005, 17:39
Not sure if I agree with that..

If you're going to take the risk of rushing against human players, you're an idiot. I'll be happy to take any of your poorly defended towns.. But if you want to make the surprise attack, I see no reason to make a rule stopping you.

By the way, I can't play unless it's straight 1.2 ~:handball:

hellenes
11-07-2005, 18:27
By the way, I can't play unless it's straight 1.2 ~:handball:

With its beautiful load/save "feature"?
~:rolleyes: ~:rolleyes:

Hellenes

GoreBag
11-07-2005, 18:28
Diplomacy is going to be sticky, but the cheat should work just as long as nobody decides to cheat and use it to sap loads of money off their opponents. If we do use the cheat, how are we going to stop others from cheating and using it to their advantage in subtle ways?

A referee?

Myrddraal
11-07-2005, 19:48
If you like, I'll referee the game to start with.... This would work this way:

When you email the file to the next player, copy the email to me. This way I can keep track of game progress. If you notice something unusual, I can check it out and reset the game to the point before someone cheated.

shifty157
11-07-2005, 21:50
Something came up with KashmirKing and he wont be able to play so Dacia is now open again to whoever wants it.

Heinrich VI
11-08-2005, 01:08
i dont think a rule against early attacks will be needed but wont mind if its used.

what version will we use or is it yet to be decided? since the 1.3 patch is out (not having BI is no excuse ~D ) and free i am all for using this version.

Myrddraal
11-08-2005, 01:25
I am waiting for the email addresses of:

(Rome) The Stranger
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Cathrage) Ignoramus

Bonny
11-08-2005, 15:56
Thanks for the pm :bow: , i would really like to play dacia, my email is
are we going to play hellenes small rtr mod or just 1.3?

whoops, but i fear the spammers were already there...

Ignoramus
11-08-2005, 22:24
You should have pmed it to Myddraal, now the spammers will come.

Myrddraal
11-09-2005, 22:27
Ignoramus, I don't think I have your email

I don't have Fuwes' either

shifty157
11-10-2005, 20:46
Hellenes has announced that the RTRlight mod will be released tomorrow.

Myrddraal
11-10-2005, 21:08
Good stuff, I'm still waiting for one email: Fuwes

So tis agreed:
V1.3
RTRLight mod

I'll have to edit the script a bit to take into account the single roman faction. There are no other edits to factions are there, such as faction play order?

shifty157
11-10-2005, 21:50
A question or two or several.

What is the play order of the factions? It always seemed random to me.

Will i be able to save my game and reload it later if for whatever reason i cant finish my turn?

I assume that the script does not send the file automatically so how do we know who to send it to next?

Whats the news about this diplomacy cheat so that diplomacy can actually work?

Whats the tutorial on how to install and run the script?

Silver Rusher
11-10-2005, 22:04
Something tells me that Fuwes isn't coming back. How about we give him 3 or 4 days, and find someone else if he doesn't come back?

shifty157
11-10-2005, 22:39
Ive dne some searches. "Fuwes" is not a username. Nor is there anythign close to it. No one under the name of "Fuwes" has posted here or anywhere else on the forums. Whats more the word "Fuwes" was only ever mentioned as playing Iberia. What i mean by that is that no one even said Fuwes was going to play as iberia.

What im trying to say is that Fuwes is not a real player (nor was he ever). I dont know how he got on the list but he did.

This means we have one faction spot still open for whoever wants it.

Silver Rusher
11-10-2005, 22:51
That's very strange. Did he send you an e-mail or something Myrddraal?

EDIT: Aha!

(Rome) The Stranger
(Gaul)
(Briton) Craterus
(Germen) littleganon
(Dicia) KashmirKing
(Thrace) Shifty
(Spain) Fuwes
(Scythia) Predator
(Macedon) King Malcom
(Egypt) kingwill
(Cathrage) Ignoramas
(Numida) Tedward
(Parthia)
(Armarania(sp?) menender

Hellenes

Myrddraal
11-11-2005, 14:18
OK, we have a free slot then!

Advertise people, lets get this show on the road

Krek
11-11-2005, 23:00
~delurking~

I'll help you guys out. Spain you say, eeh?
I haven't got much experience with RTW and the different factions, so I hope it isn't a hard one, but I'll give it a try...

Myrddraal, you've done excellent work so far! Don't be too hard on yourself if it isn't totally finished work yet!
Keep up the good spirit and the good work!

My email : general.krek@gmail.com
Faction: well, Spain apparently

Silver Rusher
11-11-2005, 23:39
Ooh... Spain is a real difficult one, let me warn you about that. But at least we have someone to fill the gap. Welcome aboard!

menander
11-12-2005, 02:18
Myrddraal, do you have an update on the 'getting battle results into the campaign'? I remember you talking to another guy doing an MP mod about it...

shifty157
11-12-2005, 04:37
Awesome. Here we go.

Heinrich VI
11-12-2005, 18:59
lets get it on! :charge:

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-12-2005, 19:16
I hope you guys post copious notes, screenshots, and other things from this.

:knight:

Silver Rusher
11-12-2005, 19:39
So is this really it? Is this really the beginning of the multiplayer campaign? I am shaking with joy, my dream is about to come true.

NOTE: Don't even think about insulting the Seleucid Empire whilst I am around, or the Empire and the Diadochi League (that's right) will crush your weak, defenceless states into a pathetic pulp.

The Stranger
11-12-2005, 21:17
watafak...are we starting??? btw ive one question

player 1 atacks player 2 and wins in players 1 turn
when its players 2 turn he doesnt knows his army was being attacked and moves it...now player 1 cant reach the army of player 2 and the battle wont be fought...how will we solve this

Silver Rusher
11-12-2005, 21:33
When it's player 2's turn, his army will have already been defeated by player 1's army.

shifty157
11-12-2005, 22:37
the total war series is not like Diplomacy or other games where everything ahppens at once. It is turn based.

Craterus
11-13-2005, 16:01
I'm out, I can't put mods on the computer.

Britannia is free.

:sorry:

Myrddraal
11-13-2005, 16:34
OK, volunteers for Britannia. Once again, advertise! :wink:

Krek
11-13-2005, 18:48
Ok, then I would like to try Britannia if that's allright with you (in stead of Spain).~:)

Btw, where can I download the mod we are going to use?
(or isn't it out yet and should I be more patient?) ~;)

So:

Name: Krek
Email: general.krek@google.com
Faction: Britannia :knight:

Spain is free.

Myrddraal
11-13-2005, 18:52
Look in the same subforum as this thread:

RTR Light MP campaign mod discussion.... (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=56558)

King Ragnar
11-13-2005, 19:40
Ok i will be Iberia, but i need to know when this will be played?

jack_howey@hotmail.com

Myrddraal
11-13-2005, 20:10
Within days... Good stuff

hellenes
11-13-2005, 20:27
Within days... Good stuff

Could you upload my mod at the org?
The Filefront has HUGE queus...
BTW how do the online battles going?
Will the mod work on lan too?

Hellenes

Silver Rusher
11-13-2005, 20:57
Question for Myrddraal: In this mod, do we get those little message boxes at the beginning of each turn? They are quite useful and I would hate to see them go.

Lord Adherbal
11-13-2005, 21:08
just wanna say I find this interesting and hope it becomes a succes. Sadly I don't have time to take part of it now, but maybe in the future...

King Ragnar
11-13-2005, 21:11
Will the mod run over patch 1.3

Silver Rusher
11-13-2005, 22:15
Yup

Myrddraal
11-14-2005, 01:21
I'm sorry Silver Rusher, those messages are history.... I forgot to mention that. :oops:

The online battles are still far off, but the theory is worked out, I just need to make it work now.

I'll send you all the mod by email, its amazingly small: approx 195kb

The only thing we're waiting for is this: I'm trying to include a new advice thread which will pop up when you load the quicksave

I'm trying to use the new on reload trigger to have the advisor pop up when your turn starts, asking for you to click show me how (this is necessary for the script), but I'm getting a CTD. I can't get why....

This is what I've added to the advice txt file:

AdviceThread MP_Campaign
GameArea Campaign

Item MP_Campaign_Text_01
Uninhibitable
Verbosity 1
Threshold 1
Attitude Normal
Presentation Default
Title MP_Campaign_Title
Script scripts\show_me\MP_Campaign\script.txt
Text MP_Campaign_Text1

;===============================================================
;== TRIGGER DATA STARTS HERE ==
;===============================================================

;------------------------------------------
Trigger 1085_MP_Campaign_Trigger
WhenToTest GameReloaded

AdviceThread MP_Campaign 1

Myrddraal
11-14-2005, 01:21
Is the new GameReloaded only for BI???

Could that be it?...

Ignoramus
11-14-2005, 01:43
Can you send it now?

Myrddraal
11-14-2005, 02:28
There is a problem, as stated above... I'd like to fix it first... :bow:

Lord Winter
11-14-2005, 04:10
Ive dne some searches. "Fuwes" is not a username. Nor is there anythign close to it. No one under the name of "Fuwes" has posted here or anywhere else on the forums. Whats more the word "Fuwes" was only ever mentioned as playing Iberia. What i mean by that is that no one even said Fuwes was going to play as iberia.

What im trying to say is that Fuwes is not a real player (nor was he ever). I dont know how he got on the list but he did.

This means we have one faction spot still open for whoever wants it.
Thats strange here is the PM

Let me be spain in the multiplayer campaign pls

Fuwes
If you look at the public profile (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?u=14355) he has zero post and was active 2 days ago.

Krek
11-14-2005, 12:47
Is the new GameReloaded only for BI???

Could that be it?...

Myrddraal, could be. I don't know where you've got the command from. (How you know it even excists).

I assume you've got all the variables right as well as the names of the scripts and texts it refers to? (e.g. MP_Campaign_Title, scripts\show_me\MP_Campaign\script.txt and MP_Campaign_Text1)

When I experimented with scripts a couple of months back, I got CTD's whenever I had a typo in the names (always being for 100% sure I typed it right, and when looking at it a day later couldn't believe "how could I have missed THAT!" You know what I mean ~:) ).

I also learned that most of the time when you changed something in the scripts etc., you had to restart RTW entirely. Restarting a campaign didn't seem to be enough.

However, I'm affraid you already know all of these things above, and you probably have checked it time and time again. In that case: sorry, just trying to help.

Anyone else here with (little) experience in scripting etc. who could help? ~:grouphug:

Edit:
Is it perhaps required in the trigger to have a condition?
So something like:
;------------------------------------------
Trigger 1085_MP_Campaign_Trigger
WhenToTest GameReloaded
Condition FactionIsLocal (or something like that)
AdviceThread MP_Campaign 1
;--------------

Myrddraal
11-15-2005, 19:50
OK screw it

I'll send you an earlier build, its slightly less user friendly but hey, the gameplay is the same :smile:

Now I just need to sort the turn order:

Turn Order:
romans_julii
senate - AI controlled Should this be taken out?
macedon
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
pontus
gauls
germans
britons
armenia
dacia
greek_cities
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave - AI controlled

Is this correct?
Thanks

Myrddraal

Duke Malcolm
11-15-2005, 19:57
Yes, take it out.

Huzzah! I'm second in the starting line!

Silver Rusher
11-15-2005, 21:12
Huzzah, I'm forth!

Malcolm, this should make our plan hatching work a bit better eh? ;)

shifty157
11-15-2005, 21:29
Damn. I got screwed with last.

hellenes
11-15-2005, 22:40
OK screw it

I'll send you an earlier build, its slightly less user friendly but hey, the gameplay is the same :smile:

Turn Order:
romans_julii
macedon
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
pontus
gauls
germans
britons
armenia
dacia
greek_cities
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave - AI controlled

Is this correct?
Thanks

Myrddraal

The Senate gets destroyed at round one.
It would be better to start with the "weakest" geopolitically faction and end with the "strongest" but anyway no faction will be really weak in the MP mod...
Ill tweak the Seleucids a bit to give them a surviving chance but will make their life a bit tough by making all their eastern provinces to east faction culture to simulate their population problems.
What do you think?

Hellenes

Silver Rusher
11-15-2005, 22:51
Ill tweak the Seleucids a bit to give them a surviving chance but will make their life a bit tough by making all their eastern provinces to east faction culture to simulate their population problems.
What do you think?
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

EDIT: A surviving chance? Don't patronise me. I'm already in a binding league alliance with Macedon and Egypt and the rest of the surrounding lands will fall like dominoes.

hellenes
11-15-2005, 22:56
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

EDIT: A surviving chance? Don't patronise me. I'm already in a binding league alliance with Macedon and Egypt and the rest of the surrounding lands will fall like dominoes.

LOL..~D ~D ~D ~D ~D
How on earth those Ptolemies given up their claims to Alexander's Empire?
Anyway I just have seen their expansion being a tad weak...
I ve lowered the tech tree requirements anyway so a bit of culture change in the eastern provinces wont harm anyone right?

Hellenes

edit
REPLY WITH SUGGESTIONS IN THE MP MOD THREAD!!!!

Silver Rusher
11-15-2005, 22:58
hmm... I suppose so... Also, could you give me my own units in Seleucia please? Currently the home-training that should be in Seleucia is in Palmyra instead.

hellenes
11-15-2005, 23:06
hmm... I suppose so... Also, could you give me my own units in Seleucia please? Currently the home-training that should be in Seleucia is in Palmyra instead.

You have the map right?
The one with all the factions territories in the RTW MP MOD folder?
So just post any bugs you see like the incorrect troop reqruitment areas..
IN THE MP CAMPAIGN MOD THREAD...

Hellenes

shifty157
11-16-2005, 04:04
It would be better to start with the "weakest" geopolitically faction and end with the "strongest".

Im with Hellenes on this one.

Heinrich VI
11-16-2005, 11:34
baseless claims on lands their megalomaniac wanna-be emperor shall never set foot on!

is this already a declaration of war? ~D

:charge:

kingdom of parthia

Krek
11-16-2005, 12:23
=================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellenes
It would be better to start with the "weakest" geopolitically faction and end with the "strongest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty157
Im with Hellenes on this one.
=================================

If I'm not mistaken the sequence is determined by the descr_strat.txt file witch in turn is determined by the patch. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Therefor Hellenes can determine the sequence of play by changing the file, witch we all can download (v1.02?), and then Myrddraal has to change all his files for us to fit the new sequence.

Question is: is changing the sequence resulting in the added workload for Myrddraal worth it?

The Stranger
11-16-2005, 17:28
so...can i start

The Stranger
11-16-2005, 17:33
oh and can you fight personal against rebels...cuz i dont like to see me elite armies and generals getting punked by rebels due bad calculation

Silver Rusher
11-16-2005, 20:03
nm.

Krek
11-16-2005, 20:06
OK screw it

Turn Order:
romans_julii
macedon
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
pontus
gauls
germans
britons
armenia
dacia
greek_cities
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave - AI controlled

Is this correct?
Thanks

Myrddraal

Myrddraal, after installing the RTR light mod, the following sequence appears in my descr_strat.txt file:

====
playable
romans_julii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
greek_cities
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
scythia
spain
thrace
numidia
britons
end
unlockable
romans_senate
;romans_brutii
;romans_scipii

end
nonplayable
slave
end
====

Is this important for you? Because the sequence is different then the one you typed.
e.g. Egypt is 2nd in descr_strat.txt and in your list Egypt is 3rd. (Not counting SPQR)

@Hellenes:
Do you still want to change the sequence ('weaker' factions first)?
I'm guessing Myrddraal needs the exact sequence for his scripts (Myrddraal, please correct me if I'm wrong), so perhaps a final list can be made public before a possible RTR light V 1.02 is out? The redoing of the scripts will probably take some time for him.

If not, well, just trying to help to get the show on the road... ~:)

Krek
11-16-2005, 20:19
so...can i start

I'm guessing you personally can start right now when the following statements are all true:

1- The sequence list of factions does not change to much (because you as the romans start as it is now);

2- We play at the current mod (RTR light 1.01);

3- You have received the MP script(s) from Myrddraal. (Otherwise you probably can't hit "END TURN". Well, you probably can, but it won't be a multi-player game)

Perhaps Hellenes can tell us if we should use v1.01 for the first game or that he wants us to wait for the v1.02 he's working on (and for how long). :bow:
My guess is Myrddraal is finishing the scripts right now. :bow:

So... perhaps we can all :duel: soon. Very soon. ~:)

Silver Rusher
11-16-2005, 20:25
Heinrich, if this game had any more historical accuracy your pathetic "kingdom" would belong to me.

Nobody insults the Seleucid Empire, or even the King of the Seleucid Empire. Not even you eastern scum, with your pretentious cavalry that can supposedly take control of the battlefield.

No, I am not rearing up to attack you. But you had better watch your mouth when talking to leaders far superior to you.

Myrddraal
11-17-2005, 01:00
OK peeps, I want to get this started BUT I must know the turn order before I send the files....

Lord Winter
11-17-2005, 01:19
I'm guessing you personally can start right now when the following statements are all true:

1- The sequence list of factions does not change to much (because you as the romans start as it is now);

2- We play at the current mod (RTR light 1.01);

3- You have received the MP script(s) from Myrddraal. (Otherwise you probably can't hit "END TURN". Well, you probably can, but it won't be a multi-player game)

Perhaps Hellenes can tell us if we should use v1.01 for the first game or that he wants us to wait for the v1.02 he's working on (and for how long). :bow:
My guess is Myrddraal is finishing the scripts right now. :bow:

So... perhaps we can all :duel: soon. Very soon. ~:)
Depends I will finish 1.1 by friday night if not sooner. If you dont want to play with auxillias we can start now.

shifty157
11-17-2005, 02:40
I repeat that we CANNOT play with the current version of the mod.