PDA

View Full Version : Modding Guides for Complete Beginners

RTW King
10-02-2005, 19:17
I was a complete beginner at modding not very long ago, and a lot of the guides were confusing or too vague. So these are some guides for some simple modding stuff for complete beginners. I'll keep adding more info to this guide whenever I have time.

Adding a New Unit:

1. Go to:

a. My Computer
b. The C Drive
c. Program Files (or your equivalent)
d. Activision (or whatever you named the folder you put RTW in)
e. Data
f. export_descr_unit (its not a folder its one of the files)

2. Read the guide at the top of export_descr_unit. Then, go to a unit similar to the one you want to make. For example, if you want to create a pike unit, go to an existing pike units stats, then copy and paste just below. So say you want to add Hoplites to the Julii. Simply go to the copy/pasted file, and change the ownership to romans_julii. If you want to change any stats, do this now aswell. Go to the top left-hand corner of the screen and click save. Then exit export_descr_unit.

3. You are now back in the data file. Go to descr_model_battle. Now, find the unit you copy pasted in export_descr_unit. Copy and paste it again and leave the copy just before the original. For the texture and sprite lines, it will say the name of a faction at the beggining. Change it to the name of the faction you are adding the unit to. To see what that faction is called in descr_model_battle, simply have a look at some of its units there. Only change the factions name at the begginning of the texture and sprite lines, not the one in the middle, as this is the colour the unit will be. Althought this means you can't get the proper faction colours for the unit, try to pick something similar. For example, if trying to give Auxilia to Gaul, pick the Brutii texture and sprites, as they are both greenish colours. Go to the top left hand of the screen and click save. Now exit.

You now have a unit that will appear in-game, but it will not have a name or description, and will say 'unlocalised placement text'. Follow the next steps to give the unit a name.

Kratos
12-09-2005, 03:38
I could not find the next steps. can ya give me a hint.

Andreas
12-17-2005, 23:06
data/text/export_units.txt Add the proper string, you should be able to figure it out.