PDA

View Full Version : BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod'

professorspatula
10-03-2005, 03:56
Latest Version: 1.3 13th October 2005.

Hello.

One day I was a bit bored and had a bash at making a small mod for Barbarian Invasion. And a few days later I was still bored and updated it. And here it is:
BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Playable Factions Mod. The title really rolls off you tongue...

Anyway, it is really a two part mod. First, it gives you the option to enable the Celtic, Alemanni and Saxon factions to form their own hordes, complete with new units and their own unit cards and sprites. That adds some extra spice to the campaign.

Secondly, it unlocks all the other factions in the game (including Slave/Rebels), apart from the Slavs, Roman Rebels (both) and Ostro-goths. I could probably unlock a few of them, but at the moment they're more interesting being left to cause trouble for everyone else later on in the campaign. All the new playable factions have their own campaign descriptions rubbishy prepared by myself after about half an hour's research on the web (if any history scholars out there want to provide better descriptions let me know). They also have campaign maps done in the style of the CA originals. See the screenshots below.

Oh, and there's also a few minor gameplay 'fixes' that I either stumbled upon or someone else told me about.

To get the mod, you'll first have to download version 1.3 . It's here:
www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extra_hordes_and_factions_v1_3.zip

If you have an earlier version (v1.2, v1.21, or v1.22) download this patch to hopefully update it to version 1.3:
www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extra_hordes_and_factions_patch_v12x_to_v13.zip

Installing v1.3:
Unzip the v1.3 file into your RTW folder, making sure to read the readme file inside the zip that tells you to BACKUP your crucial files first. So don't blame me if anything untowards occurs as a result of installing the mod. I've given the mod a fair test and everything seems to work fine.

Updating v1.2, 1.21, or 1.22 to v1.3:
Unzip the patch into your RTW folder. Fingers crossed, everything now works. If you have modified any files since first installing my mod, those changes may be overwritten, so beware!

Just want Hordes?
If you don't want to change the hordes and just want the unlocked factions, you can basically leave the descr_sm_factions.txt file as it was originally, or read the instructions in the zip file for more info. As the extra hordes changes the dynamics of the campaign, you might for example wish to continue playing a campaign or two without them enabled. You can change the new hordes option during a campaign if you wish, although it might not be a good idea if you revert the original horde settings and one of the new horde factions is in horde mode already.

Here's some screenshots of the mod in 'action'. Thrilling stuff and all that!

The Alemanni tribes take to road! Those poor Western Empire Romans won't know what'll hit them.
http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/horde_mod.jpg

That's some Alemanni horde hunters and Horde Chosen swordsmen having an arguement with some Sassanids over who's blue and red tunics are best.
http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/horde_mod_2.jpg

More cretins to control!
http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/horde_mod_4.jpg

The Lombardi faction, ready to cause trouble no doubt:
http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/horde_mod_3.jpg

Version 1.2 added the Romano-British as a playable faction. The Romano-British campaign is optional. It is playable in a provincal campaign only, so that you can still play a regular campaign and have the Romano-British emerge on their own accord.

Their campaign is very hard, however. High troop income and only one settlement. You'll have the Celts and rebels at your door, and a fast diminishing treasury. Just pray you have your finances secure and your borders protected when the Saxons and West Empire Romans make a landing!

http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/horde_mod_5.jpg

Any comments or problems with the mod, let me know.

professorspatula
10-06-2005, 19:52
(Was an update post).

Should probably delete this message now I suppose.

Meneldil
10-06-2005, 21:16
Looks great :)

Alexander the Pretty Good
10-06-2005, 21:24
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

~:cheers:

edyzmedieval
10-08-2005, 00:02
Excellent professor.

I kinda love the hordes, so this can be a good addition. ~:)

Alexanderofmacedon
10-08-2005, 03:45
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

~:cheers:

What he said!~D

Dutch_guy
10-08-2005, 14:51
how did you manage to get the Burgundii , lombardii , roxoliani playable.
I edited the factions to thje playable section in the descr_strat file as with the Celts and other berbers, but when I click on the Lombardii. Burgundii and Roxoliani faction shield in the main campaign screen , the game crashes and quits.

Help would be apreciated

:balloon2:

professorspatula
10-08-2005, 15:04
The factions you mentioned have missing entries in the data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt file. You have to add an entry to those factions in that file to make them playable. The celts, berbers, Romano-British etc already had campaign descriptions. Interesting that CA then leave them out in the finished article. This is the reason why now when you play the original campaign, you can no longer just add factions to the playable list as without the campaign description, the game crashes.

Dutch_guy
10-08-2005, 21:41
Ok thanks for the help professorspatula, I managed to make it work

:balloon2:

Crusader4thepeople
10-09-2005, 18:26
What about the original Imperial Campaign, has anyone made an updated completed factions mod or something?

Anyway this is great for BI thnx this is just what i need

professorspatula
10-11-2005, 22:57
v1.22 Patch now available:
This is (probably) the final patch for the BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions mod.
After this, I will split the mod into 2 identities: The Unlocked Factions Mod (including map files and Romano-British campaign); and Extra Hordes Mod (includes additional gameplay and bug fixes found in the current mod). This is so you can just play the unlocked factions and use other mods if you wish with the minimal of conflicts. However, I still personally recommend the Extra Hordes and fixes. The fixes are important if you want to play a good Romano-British or Berber campaign as their recruitment possibilities will be severly limited.

Changes in v1.22:
It's basically all about those rascals the Romano-British!

Sarmatian Cavalry lost their 2 experience bonus when the Circus Maximus was built, they now retain it.

There were no benefits for the Romano-British to build the Royal Barracks over the previous barracks. Now it gives Foederati +1 experience and Coastal Levies gain +2 experience instead of +1.

R-B can now train Bucellari in the campaign instead of just in custom battles.

The patch also includes a new basic skin for the Romano-British Legionary which uses the Roman Comitantensis model instead of the completely broken model that ships with the game. The broken CA one-and-a-half-leg model has been made to hop it (groan).

Download me:
Follow the dots and find the download link, it's like a bonus game! .................. ....... ........ Download v1.22 patch (http://disko.co.uk/files/bi_extra_hordes_and_factions_v1_22.zip)

Quick Notes about the RB Campaign:
Regarding the R-B campaign, if you play it, a good tip is to get rid of most of your expensive troops as soon as you take Eburacum and then build as many profitable buildings as possible. It took me about 12 years and a few riots before I managed to conquer my finances and take on the Celts. I'm now about 25 years into the campaign, have mainland Briton secured and am making a tidy 2K profit and ready to invade Europe. Also hire every single Sarmation Merc unit you can. It's difficult to beat those blasted Hounds of whatchamacallit beserkers and chariots and Gallowglasses without them.

Oh and beware of the pirates. There's dozens of them and they sink all your ships, meaning the only navy you're likely to build is a drowned one.

Magussen
10-12-2005, 15:34
Thanks for your work !
The Saxon horde chosen swordsmen have a lethality of 0.1, is that intentional ?

professorspatula
10-12-2005, 19:48
Well spotted that person!

My bad. It should be 1. Otherwise those poor swordsmen will be as effective as a child wielding a toy sword.

Riothamus
10-13-2005, 00:03
I couldn't get the Romano Brits to play on the provincial campaign but everything else was loaded up fine liked the other locked factions are now playable and the unit additions. So I just copied the romano descr_strat over the barbarian invasion one and now The romano brits are playable with the new patch.....very nice thanks

Magussen
10-13-2005, 08:24
A child wielding a toy sword might well be an improvement for an AI general.

professorspatula
10-13-2005, 15:01
Crivvens! How embarassing. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Magussen, I've updated the mod yet again. Hopefully there will be no more patches necessary.

If you have version 1.2, 1.21 or 1.22 of my mod, download and unzip this patch:
http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extra_hordes_and_factions_patch_v12x_to_v13.zip

If you haven't installed the mod, or are still using the old versions (v1 and v1.1) you might as well download the entire mod again, updated to version 1.3.

Version 1.3 makes these changes:
- Added Kerns to the Celtic Hordes
- Added a few missing textures for the new hordes units
- Fixed an error with Saxon Chosen Swordsmen lethality
- Can play as Slave/Rebel faction in campaigns.

Version 1.3 is downloadable here:
http://www.disko.co.uk/files/bi_extra_hordes_and_factions_v1_3.zip

Thanks.

I shall punch myself squarely in the face and cry into my ale if there's any more missing files or errors within.

Edit:
----
Player1 has released his latest bugfixer patch for BI. He's been a busy chap! If you want to install his mod and mine, install his first. Then install mine on top. There appears to be only one or two inconsistancies that I've noticed so far, and these are down to personal preferences as much as anything.

10-13-2005, 20:26
Professor!

I installed your mod (1.3) over the Bug-Fixer mod (2.01) and played as Saxons, M/M, and went into horde. So far so good. I notice the shadows for the Horde Raider cavalry are dark squares in addition to the normal shadows. Besieging the nearest Rebel city south and west of Campus Saxones (starting province) I got a CTD while trying to start the assualt battle (at the loading screen). I didn't have showerr on, but I'll see if the autosave can get me back to that.

professorspatula
10-13-2005, 21:11
Ah, I think I've found the problem. It's the sprite for the Saxon Horde Raider unit, there was a typo in the descr_model_battle.txt file. I tested all the units before sprites, and all but the raider afterwards.

Open the descr_model_battle.txt file and replace:

model_sprite saxons, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/saxon_raiders_sprite.spr

with:
model_sprite saxons, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/saxons_raiders_sprite.spr

Hopefully that will fix the crashing problem, as it was enough to cause BI to crash everytime the raider was used.

I'll update the existing files, then I'm off to bang my head in frustration at seeing another bug creep into things.

Magussen
10-14-2005, 09:39
LOL ! Looks like the mercenaries file is missing from the romano-british campaign.

Darius
10-14-2005, 13:49
WHA?! No mercs? That should make things a good deal more interesting I suppose. Speaking of mercs, in my last game I found a unit of Graal Knights for hire....but it was in France....and the Romano-Brits hadn't emerged...Though I can understand it's not possible to make certain units only appear for hire after a certain event has occured (Faction Emergance), what I don't understand is why they'd be added in due to that fact, and why the F%&K were they doing in France?!

Kraxis
10-14-2005, 14:27
Could I ask you to collaborate with player1? Or is it too much work?

I mean, I love all his fixes a whole lot (I used to debate with heart and fury with him for the RTW bug-fixer), so I wouldn't like to miss any of them should I install this one.

professorspatula
10-14-2005, 15:57
LOL ! Looks like the mercenaries file is missing from the romano-british campaign.

Actually that isn't the case. You just have to copy all the files from the original barbarian_invasion campaign folder into the new barbarian_invasion_romano campaign folder. It says that in the readme. That's how you get the campaign working properly. I didn't include all the files myself because it would make the zip file unnecessary big.

Could I ask you to collaborate with player1? Or is it too much work?

I mean, I love all his fixes a whole lot (I used to debate with heart and fury with him for the RTW bug-fixer), so I wouldn't like to miss any of them should I install this one.

Well I could do possibly, although at the moment 90% of his fixes are for other things such as traits and ancillaries that this mod doesn't touch. The changes to the battle_models and so forth I've basically made myself so at the moment if the two mods are installed (mine on top) there aren't any real probs. I haven't downloaded his fixer yet, but I've just looked at what he's apparently changed and there are a couple of differences (I allow Berbers to recruit all barracks due to the fact their units gain extra experience in the top barracks so they might as well build them, for example) and I haven't made barbarian women available on the city map yet, as I'm currently I'm content to have them inside making their husband's dinner. Perhaps if in future Bug-Fixer releases he makes more changes that conflict with my mod, I'll have a word in his ear and try and make the mod 100% compatible or thereabouts. Cheers.

Darius
10-14-2005, 16:13
Ah very good very good. However I'm curious as to whether or not you plan on making some units of your own for the Romano-British seeing as their unit list seems to be missing something to me somehow. Judging from your fix of the British Legionarries you have some experience with modeling so it shouldnt prove too much of a challenge.

One last thing...do Coastal levies have a missile attack? I simply can't remember off hand and it's driving me crazy!

professorspatula
10-14-2005, 16:30
Alas, my modelling skills are non-existant. I merely made the British Legionaries use the very similiar Roman Comit...whateveritiscalled model and then modified the skin to fit. I could perhaps at some stage reuse another model and create a new Romano-British skin for it and have a pseudo-new unit, but that's the limits of my skills. If any modellers out there want to make a new Romano-British model however......

And no, the Coastal levies can't throw their spears. I pondered over that a few nights ago, and whether they should chuck their spear like some other spearmen who's name I can't spell without looking it up, but I've left them without the ability.

Kraxis
10-14-2005, 20:03
Sounds well enough... I might install this then. It is just that in my current Burgundian game I have already killed off the Alemanni and Saxons, so it is more or less of little point.

Grey_Fox
10-14-2005, 22:09
Hi guys. Just a quick question, will this mod compromise my ability to play online with others who do not have this mod installed, or will it be irrelevant like when you manually modded it in 1.2?

Kraxis
10-14-2005, 22:51
Hi guys. Just a quick question, will this mod compromise my ability to play online with others who do not have this mod installed, or will it be irrelevant like when you manually modded it in 1.2?
Since it actually changes some units (or so I gather) it won't be compatible. But our professor said he wold later do a 'light' version with a pure 'more hordes' approach, and a full mixed version (good idea btw, then we can all be satisfied).

player1
10-15-2005, 01:36
Good workaround to keep romano-briton legionary models (with cool cloaks) is this:

type british_legionaries
;--------------------------------------
skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_slow_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture romano_british, bi/data/models_unit/textures/BI_unit_british_legionaries_romano_british.tga
;model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod1.CAS, 15
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod2.CAS, 15
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod2.CAS, 30
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod3.CAS, 40
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/BI_unit_british_legionaries_lod4.CAS, max
;model_sprite 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_peasant_sprite.spr
model_sprite romano_british, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/romano_british_british_legionaries_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Effectively using next lower level model instead (the one that is showed with Low unit details settings).

You'll barely notice the difference in detail.
Exempt fixed leg of course.

player1
10-15-2005, 01:43
Well I could do possibly, although at the moment 90% of his fixes are for other things such as traits and ancillaries that this mod doesn't touch. The changes to the battle_models and so forth I've basically made myself so at the moment if the two mods are installed (mine on top) there aren't any real probs. I haven't downloaded his fixer yet, but I've just looked at what he's apparently changed and there are a couple of differences (I allow Berbers to recruit all barracks due to the fact their units gain extra experience in the top barracks so they might as well build them, for example) and I haven't made barbarian women available on the city map yet, as I'm currently I'm content to have them inside making their husband's dinner. Perhaps if in future Bug-Fixer releases he makes more changes that conflict with my mod, I'll have a word in his ear and try and make the mod 100% compatible or thereabouts. Cheers.

I think barbarian women fix is the only thing missing if this mod is put over the bug-fixer.

As for few differencies in buildings file, you can always consider this mod as an upgrade, since it still allows everything possible with bug-fixer, plus some extra.

So people, installing this over bug-fixer is no problem.

player1
10-15-2005, 01:47
type barb_female_peasant_lbc
skeleton fs_dagger
indiv_range 40
;model_flexi_m data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_high.cas, 8
;model_flexi_m data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_med.cas, 15
;model_flexi data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_low.cas, 30
;model_flexi data/models_unit/barb_male_peasant_lowest.cas, max
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_300.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_300.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_200.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_100.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/barb_female_peasant_70.cas, max
;model_sprite 60.0, data/sprites/barb_male_peasant_sprite.spr
;model_sprite 60.0, bi/data/sprites/barb_female_peasant_lbc_sprite.spr
model_sprite 60.0, data/sprites/barb_female_peasant_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

And this is fixed female peasant model.
Notice that outcommented model is male peasant model.
Also original female sprites are wrong, so new link is to original RTW sprites.

Kraxis
10-15-2005, 02:19
Sounds good...

Can I do the little R-B legionary fix over this upgrade? I mean I would prefer the 'local' legionary, ratherthan Comitatenses.

professorspatula
10-15-2005, 02:31
Thanks for the info Player1.

If you want to stick to the original British legionary then, just copy what player1 has posted over the British Legionary entry that comes in my mod's descr_model_battle.txt file. I had intended to leave the alternative model as optional, but thought it would confuse too many people, and all along there was a simple workable solution.

Regardless, CA better fix all the messed up models in the next patch or I'll clench my fist and wave it angrily in the direction of their employees. And possibly I'll chomp at their legs so they resemble their stupid legionaries.

Darius
10-15-2005, 08:32
I wish I had some idea as to how to mod units. I'd immediately add Sarmatian Archers in. Just take the skin from one of the sarmatian horse archers, complete with armor, remove the horse, make it regular unit size, throw in a centurion, and presto, elite archer unit, complete with long range trait. Bump Buclearri back to level two archer building and throw these guys in at stage three and its golden. It's just that the unit list seems so bare when compared to the lengthy ones the Romans always seem to get. It makes teching up almost pointless as I feel like I'm not "unlocking" some new and uber unit.

If anything I'd suggest removing the shrines to Mithras and Sol Invictus and give them Celtic shrines instead to build, would fit in better (IMO) and maybe allow them to recruit some kind of typically barbarian units through them (Barring Druids and Berserkers naturally) so as to allow a choice for a Romano-British leader to get "in touch with his roots" if he so feels the need. Meh, just me day-dreaming really, it'll probably take a whole lot of work.

Kraxis
10-15-2005, 11:58
Thanks for the info Player1.

If you want to stick to the original British legionary then, just copy what player1 has posted over the British Legionary entry that comes in my mod's descr_model_battle.txt file. I had intended to leave the alternative model as optional, but thought it would confuse too many people, and all along there was a simple workable solution.
Yeah figured that much later on.~D
I always talk before I think.

Anyway I began to add units the mecenary file, and remove some (Veteranii all over the place), and tweaked them so that they might not be the same all over. Merc Foederatii far better in Germania.

Arguably Britain got the most interesting mix with Graal Knights, Gallows, Kerns, two Sarmatian units, and it had Bucellari and Veteranii but I removed those when the list became too long.

Persia finally got the Sughdans it need... And most Hippo-toxotai got its cost lowered (a lot more expensive than Alans which are superior at XP 1).

I even added a massive host of Merc Herdsmen to the Steppe (figured that a lot of them wold be willing to join any passing army).

I find it is now far more balanced and reasonable. Units have proper XP in thier homes or where such units were good.

professorspatula
10-15-2005, 17:30
If you're tweaking mercenary files, might I suggest you add 'Mercenary Onagers'. The unit exists, just it was removed from the mercenary list. I've added them to Northern Italy and one of the Persian merc pools, but with a low frequency so they are quite rare - though not as rare as elephants.

I wish I had some idea as to how to mod units. I'd immediately add Sarmatian Archers in. Just take the skin from one of the sarmatian horse archers, complete with armor, remove the horse, make it regular unit size, throw in a centurion, and presto, elite archer unit, complete with long range trait.

Tis quite simple actually. There's a few steps involved, but it isn't very difficult to add such a unit. Head off to the scriptorium and there should be a few threads on how to create and modify units. The only thing that is a bit more tricky is creating unit cards for the new unit. But there's already a merc unit that has the same armour and it's cards just require a bit of recolouring. Perhaps if I got a bit of time later on I'll make the unit for you myself.

Kraxis
10-15-2005, 17:54
If you're tweaking mercenary files, might I suggest you add 'Mercenary Onagers'. The unit exists, just it was removed from the mercenary list. I've added them to Northern Italy and one of the Persian merc pools, but with a low frequency so they are quite rare - though not as rare as elephants.
I have...

I added them to Central Europe, just in the path of the Hordes, just so they might pick it up and use it.

And the Merc Hounds of Culann should be interesting.

Pindar
10-15-2005, 20:37
Hello,

Does this mod, or rather is this mod, compatible with the Darth Mod changes that made unit movement more normal? I have the Darth mod installed right now.

Kraxis
10-15-2005, 21:37
Apparently putting the Hordes Mod on top of the BUG-fixer results in the Goths speaking Greek once more on the strat map.

player1
10-15-2005, 22:55
bi\data\sounds\events.dat needs to be deleted or renamed for sound fix to work.

10-16-2005, 01:55
@Pinder - from my understanding of it, it should be 100% compatible.

I don't know if it remains so if you add Player1's Bug-Fixer into the mid, though.

Maybe I'll try that!

Darius
10-16-2005, 08:59
Had a lot of fun last night, managed to beat down the celts but it lead to a rather silly ending. Once I conquered their last settlement, Tara, the Celts formed a horde. Seeing as how they were on Ireland, they couldnt exactly flee, so their entire army was literally defiled by my newly conquered cities towers and my near full stack army. Maybe the Celts shouldnt be able to go horde, it doesnt seem to make much sense and only leads to mindless slaughter of helpless fools. Not that I mind mindless slaughter, but this slaughter had very little meaning to it.

Pindar
10-16-2005, 09:04
@Pinder - from my understanding of it, it should be 100% compatible.

I don't know if it remains so if you add Player1's Bug-Fixer into the mid, though.

Maybe I'll try that!

Good to know. Thanks. :bow:

By the way: your pretty good.

professorspatula
10-16-2005, 12:44
Had a lot of fun last night, managed to beat down the celts but it lead to a rather silly ending. Once I conquered their last settlement, Tara, the Celts formed a horde. Seeing as how they were on Ireland, they couldnt exactly flee, so their entire army was literally defiled by my newly conquered cities towers and my near full stack army. Maybe the Celts shouldnt be able to go horde, it doesnt seem to make much sense and only leads to mindless slaughter of helpless fools. Not that I mind mindless slaughter, but this slaughter had very little meaning to it.

Well I'm aware of the Celts being stuck in Ireland as a horde, although it still makes them a bit trickier to defeat. See it as the Celtics making a last stand to regain their homeland. You can't just take a few men across to kill them as they'll just form a massive horde and take their island back. This is especially true early on when you don't have a strong army yet. You probably have to build a sizable force before wanting to kill off the celts for good. If they still have any ships, they can in theory escape with their horde across the seas, although they probably won't. The other reason for allowing them to be a horde is if you decide to play as the celts and want to storm Europe as a horde. It's nice to have the option.

Ianofsmeg16
10-16-2005, 15:10
been playing this mod for a bit now, and i'd like to say thanks to Professor Spatula....Awesome mod man!~:cheers: :balloon2:

any future plans?

professorspatula
10-16-2005, 16:26
Cheers.

Future plans? Well I intend to acquire much wealth and perhaps form my own travelling circus, but in the meantime, and as far as the mod is concerned, I'll be adding an optional campaign for those other unplayable factions that people keep crying about because they can't play as them.

And for a bit of insane fun or an extra challenge as the West Empire Romans, here's an alternative file that will turn hordes into massive unstoppable forces. It creates 1 horde unit per 100 people in the settlement, up to a maximum of 320 units (16 full stack armies). The minimum number of horde units created is 140. That's pretty big.

Download here: http://disko.co.uk/files/silly_hordes.zip

Unzip into your BI\Data folder. Rename the current descr_sm_factions.txt file to something else, then rename the new descr_sm_factions_daft.txt to descr_sm_factions.txt.

And for some silly fun, you can form your own giant horde at the start of the campaign. Merely pick a faction that has one settlement and can horde, then bring up the console and type: add_population Settlement_name 4000 (where Settlement_name is, type the name of your settlement, using a capital letter at the start, and an underscore instead of a space, eg: add_population Campus_sillytown 4000). Keep typing it in until you get 30000+ people, then form a horde. Lo and behold, a massive army is created big enough to plunder most of the known world. To get the population of the settlement back towards normal, sack it and gain loads of money in the process before going on to kill everyone else. Muhahaha. Obviously it's a bit daft. It does add an incredible challenge to the non-horde factions though, plus if you form a giant horde, you can send half of the horde on a 'peace-keeping' mission to protect a chosen ally faction from being wiped out.

My Horde's bigger than your Horde! The Vandals soon regret killing my entire Goth family and army.
http://disko.co.uk/images/misc/rtw/silly_horde_1.jpg

Pindar
10-16-2005, 22:59
To the Professor,

Regarding your future plans: have you considered revising the map? Seleucos I Nicator has a new map the: "Revisio Cartae Geographicae" on this same board. His work appears to add some provinces and cities that were historically and stragetically significant. Seleucos claims it also helps the various hordes along their way instead of them sitting around in the wilds.

I would like to install his work along with yours but am affraid both cannot be together.

professorspatula
10-16-2005, 23:37
Aside from the Romano-British campaign, any new map should work fine with the mod. The new descr_strat.txt for the map would have to be edited to allow some of the factions to be playable again (ie move some faction names to the playable part), and the new map images my mod adds might need to be copied into the folder the new map uses. The only problems I can see is with emergent factions like the Romano-British. These must be modded in by adding family members and possibly starting settlements to the descr_strat.txt file. That's slightly more tricky. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately I've been too busy blasting people with machine guns in Counter Strike Source lately to update the mod further but I'll resume things soon.

Kraxis
10-17-2005, 11:37
Aside from the Romano-British campaign, any new map should work fine with the mod. The new descr_strat.txt for the map would have to be edited to allow some of the factions to be playable again (ie move some faction names to the playable part), and the new map images my mod adds might need to be copied into the folder the new map uses. The only problems I can see is with emergent factions like the Romano-British. These must be modded in by adding family members and possibly starting settlements to the descr_strat.txt file. That's slightly more tricky. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately I've been too busy blasting people with machine guns in Counter Strike Source lately to update the mod further but I'll resume things soon.
Actualy I tried... I was intrigued by his claims, but I couldn't get it to work no mater how I tried. I must have missed something.

I ended up having to reinstall BI.... Grrr...

Magussen
10-17-2005, 23:13
As usual, the Professor is correct, and I am currently playing the "more hordes" mod on the "more regions" map.
I prudently let the Romano British faction in emergent and thus non-playable status.
The two modifications go along quite well.
I also raised the max number units in hordes and lowered the minimum number, that makes the importance of the starting settlement more meaningful, no more huge numbers pouring out of a depopulated hamlet.
I am also thinking of reducing the time needed to produce some units, I feel that people able to become instantly a horde should not have to wait 5 years to muster 10 units of spearmen.

Pindar
10-18-2005, 02:10
As usual, the Professor is correct, and I am currently playing the "more hordes" mod on the "more regions" map.
I prudently let the Romano British faction in emergent and thus non-playable status.
The two modifications go along quite well.
I also raised the max number units in hordes and lowered the minimum number, that makes the importance of the starting settlement more meaningful, no more huge numbers pouring out of a depopulated hamlet.
I am also thinking of reducing the time needed to produce some units, I feel that people able to become instantly a horde should not have to wait 5 years to muster 10 units of spearmen.

Did you have to perform any of the surgery the Professor mentioned? Can I simply imposed the "more regions" map onto his mod? I'm hesitant to do so as my skills are very limited.

Darius
10-18-2005, 09:47
Pindar, just make a backup file of whatever you try to replace so that if you have any problems you can go back, fix it, and try again with a different approach. The best way to learn how to mod is through simple trial and error sometimes.

Pindar
10-18-2005, 19:28
Pindar, just make a backup file of whatever you try to replace so that if you have any problems you can go back, fix it, and try again with a different approach. The best way to learn how to mod is through simple trial and error sometimes.

That's true enough. I just don't know which files to change.

Pindar
10-19-2005, 09:11
I changed all the files from the "more regions" mod into the "more hordes" mod. I then went and changed the descr_strat.txt adding all the factions from the Professor's mod to the playable field. When going into the game all the Professor's factions appear as playable. When I select a faction and click the continue arrow (which should launch the actual game) I get kicked back to the screen to choose to the load or start a new campaign. Any ideas what I did wrong or what else should be changed?

Magussen
10-19-2005, 13:33
Might be you did not delete the map .rwm file....
Otherwise I cannot help you much since I did it in the other order, which makes more sense to me ( first more hordes, then more regions, then the adjustments the Prof said to make more playable factions).

Pindar
10-19-2005, 18:01
Might be you did not delete the map .rwm file....
Otherwise I cannot help you much since I did it in the other order, which makes more sense to me ( first more hordes, then more regions, then the adjustments the Prof said to make more playable factions).

I didn't delete the .rwm file. I'll do so.

The order you desribed is the same procedure I followed.

RabidGibbon
10-21-2005, 16:12
https://img453.imageshack.us/img453/8953/missing5pn.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

What have I done wrong here? It happens in both campaigns and seems to affect all cities.
When loading the city (for siege battles or just to look around) I get lots and lost of these messages

Error: Filename doesn't exist:data/models_building/barbarian_great_market_med.cas

The bit in italics tends to vary amongst lots of building types. (And their my Italics by the way).

Darius
10-21-2005, 17:31
Wow for a second I thought you just really burnt a barbarian city down to absolutely nothing somehow. No clue whats happening there.

10-21-2005, 23:51
Barbarian: Where's my cottage?

hellas1
11-01-2005, 16:59
Hello Professor & Everyone!

I've downloaded the v 1.3 mod, Prof. made.

As I browsed this site, I found a v 1.22 patch!

I have RTW & BI.

My question is do I just install the 1.3 mod found in the beginning of this thread or do I also install the v 1.22 patch on top of that too?

Thanks for your help ladies and gents, preciate' it!

Hellas1

~;)

professorspatula
11-03-2005, 12:53
Hello.

You just need the 1.3 version of the mod. The patch is for older versions.

I've been meaning to update the mod further but been too busy with other things.

Mouzafphaerre
11-16-2005, 03:55
I've downloaded 1.3 but will wait for a "final version" to mess with install upon my game. Keep up the good work.

Good luck chasing those BMX riding rabbits. ~D

Mouzafphaerre
11-16-2005, 17:32
I bit the bullet and installed your mod over bug fixer two minutes ago. Now let the fun begin. ~:)

Conqueror
11-19-2005, 15:56
I ran into a weird bug when playing the Romano-Britons. I want to paganize my faction so I bribe one of the celtic FMs (appearantly the only way to get a pagan FM for myself. All the marriage proposals I get are dirty christians ~:mecry: ). Then I set him to be the faction heir and kill off my faction leader. But this somehow f**ks up the game as my family tree changes to the celt faction's tree:
https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2230/buggedrb8ve.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

professorspatula
11-20-2005, 02:04
Lol. I wonder if it is an isolated incident referring just to the Romano-British, a freak one-off, or something more serious. I'm sure I've heard of this kind of thing happening pre-BI.

If this happens whenever the faction adopts certain people to be the faction heir/leader, I suppose you could edit the descr_strat.txt file that contains the Romano-British campaign and replace all their characters that start with Christian traits with Pagan traits (just a case of replacing the word 'Christian' with 'Pagan' for each of their family members as far as I recall). At least that way you wouldn't need to adopt those smelly barbarians just to get a Pagan leader.

Anyone else experienced this?

Biges
03-03-2006, 15:44
Nice to see a mod which is do not change the main map by adding cities. Well, it will be a tought job to integrate it with my changes made to the game :)

Turbo
03-05-2006, 18:33
This is by far the best mod out there for BI. Instead of bloating the map, the MOD concentrates on adding hording ability for those barb factions that need it. This makes the game far more challenging.

Good job!

professorspatula
03-19-2006, 23:25
Crivvens! Someone I've not had to bribe to say that either. Cheers very much. ~D

Actually I think this mod needs updating slightly for v1.6. My BI folders are in a bit of a mess at the mo so it'll be a little while yet before I sort things out.

Turbo
03-22-2006, 01:21
Can you add the horde feature for the berbers? They are pretty weak and easy to eliminate. A horde threat will discourage the Romans from wiping them out.

professorspatula
03-22-2006, 18:38
That's possible I suppose. I've briefly thought about adding horde abilities to the other factions before, but decided I'd stick with having it a barbarian feature only. Now the mod is a bit older, I might consider adding a few hording berbers. The poor Romans.

Bombasticus Maximus
09-30-2006, 12:33
Does it work for BI 1.6?

Dark Avenger
11-08-2006, 16:23
looks great just downloaded it

professorspatula
11-09-2006, 14:36
I think there are one or two minor issues with the mod and the 1.6 patch. Because my own version of the game is now so heavily modified, I can't quite remember what actually has changed.

However, I am thinking there is an issue with Barbarian Chosen archers. For the patch, CA changed the textures to be in the style of the old RTW ones, but never updated the file that contains texture and model information so you end up with an odd looking unit.

The fix is simple enough.

Open up the descr_model_battle.txt file located in your main rtw folder\bi\data folder. Find the entry: chosen_archer

Change the Model_flexi lines to this:

model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_chosen_archers_400.cas, 8
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_chosen_archers_300.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_chosen_archers_200.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_chosen_archers_100.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_chosen_archers_70.cas, max

They fixed a few other model issues as well, but the changes aren't reflected in the mod, although they're only really minor cosmetic ones I believe.

It's also worth noting that when the mod was originally released, it fixed numerous bugs and minor issues that were found in the game, which Player1 and his bug-fix mod also had fixes for. The two mods were very much compatible. However, his bug-fixer mod has since gone on to do much more stuff, some of which is more of a personal choice than necessities in my opinion, but never the less, if you install his mod (recommended), then mine on top (the only way the two are compatible) some of his suggested fixes will no longer take place. Seeing as I find the game completely fine and playable without those fixes, that shouldn't be a problem. Always backup your BI folders if you're not sure though.

I had meant to get around to fully updating my mod and making more changes and stuff, but never got around to it. As my own copy of BI has many modifications since the mod was launched, perhaps I'll get around to making a final release someday.

Alexander IV Aegus
08-24-2008, 14:07
Do I have to install any of the versions before 1.3 or are they all inclusive in it?

Alexander IV Aegus
08-24-2008, 14:21
I forgot to mention, I have the RTW gold pack, which is RTW and BI. Also, I installed Europa Barbarorum for RTW so will that be a problem? Do I put the data folder into the RTW folder or the BI folder( which is inside the RTW folder )?

fuzzball
10-22-2008, 01:28
Hey guys, i just registered here and im very new to the forums...but ive been playing the game for awhile....i got to this thread via link and i quickly registered and came back bcause i dont know where else to post. Its an awesome mod! but nothing shows up on the provincial campaign...and when i just click the arrow i get a CTD. I would also like to know more abt the multiplayer campaign as i am very interested in it :P thanx guys!

LøLç@t
04-15-2009, 01:48
I forgot to mention, I have the RTW gold pack, which is RTW and BI. Also, I installed Europa Barbarorum for RTW so will that be a problem? Do I put the data folder into the RTW folder or the BI folder( which is inside the RTW folder )?
I too wish to know that. I mean it, I really don't want to mess up my game over a misunderstanding. If, only the guy would reply... its been a yr lol

A Very Super Market
04-15-2009, 01:53
This is just an educated guess, so make a back-up first.

EB is placed in it's own folder, and doesn't use anything outside of it. Don't worry 'bout it.

As for this one, a quick look at the .rar tells me that you install it into /whatever/whatever/rome total war gold/

professorspatula
05-12-2009, 23:02
Crikey, people still finding my mod?

Unfortunately I no longer support it. It would benefit from an update, which I had planned to do several times over the past couple of years, including up to a few months back, but since then my circumstances have changed. I'm not really in a mood to play games or anything at the mo so can't really offer any more help with this.

The mod basically needs to be installed into your BI folder, eg: c:\games\rome total war\bi

There are additional instructions needed to get the Romano-British campaign working. They are contained within the readme file that comes with the mod. The mod should be played with an unedited version of BI.

Mongolian Total_war Dood76
10-22-2010, 03:07
Hey man the mod looks cool but it wont let me play as the romano british. The provinchal campain wont work no icons at all

Mongolian Total_war Dood76
10-22-2010, 21:21
Ok I tryed to put the romano onto the main campain because i did what you told me to do in the instructions and they still wont work I have no icons for anythig at all please help me I love the romano british but it wont let me play as them.

Pofdis
08-29-2014, 20:51
EDIT: Just saw this was unsupported, nevermind.