PDA

View Full Version : Celts (BI faction)

frogbeastegg
10-03-2005, 08:55
This faction must be edited before it can be played.

Dradem
10-06-2005, 09:27
To unlock the factions in BI you have to go to
c:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\bi\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion
open it and make like this.

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign barbarian_invasion
playable
huns
goths
sarmatians
vandals
franks
saxons
alemanni
sassanids
empire_east
empire_west
celts
slavs
berbers
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
ostrogoths
romano_british
roxolani
burgundii
lombardi
empire_east_rebels
empire_west_rebels
slave
end

As you can see there are some nonplayables left but these factions enter the game later on. so these don't work :(

hope this helps

I don't know if this is al ready posted. So if some one else did it before me no offence

Ps: make a copy of the file before you shane it of some thing went wrong you stil have the original

Greetz Dradem

Magraev
10-06-2005, 09:32
Slavs as playable and Roxolani as unplayable - shouldn't it be the other way around? I've tried modding in the Celts btw and it worked just fine - crappy missile-troops though (only javelins), and inferior berserkers compared to the lombards.

Just make sure you make that backup.

Garvanko
10-06-2005, 10:53
It works fine if you do all that. Celts look interesting..

Garvanko
10-06-2005, 10:59
the slavs don't work

Kekvit Irae
10-06-2005, 23:05
Slavs are not playable without major editing as they are one of the factions that appear in an event. With that said, let's keep this on-topic.

Skott
10-06-2005, 23:54
I havent decided wether I'm going to buy BI yet or not. How do the Celts in BI compare to the original RTW Celts and RTR 5.4 Celts? Anyone got some comparisons to share?

Garvanko
10-07-2005, 00:21
Hounds of Culaan are available straight away with the Celts!

Dradem
10-07-2005, 13:33
yep the slavs don't work and the roxolani is a mistake to sorry about that
won't happen in the future. And the celts are fun to play. Not that diffucult in the begining but when the romans are gone those Romana Britisch are a pain in the ....

Greetz

Unregistered
10-08-2005, 12:51
Kill the Romana Britisch general and they will vanish leaving a smaller rebell army. Thats what i did....

Seasoned Alcoholic
10-09-2005, 17:15
Not that diffucult in the begining but when the romans are gone those Romana Britisch are a pain in the ....

Yeah, the Romano-British faction will appear once all Roman provinces have disappeared / been exterminated etc. Just found this out after sacking Londinium with the Celts.

They will appear in the centre of Britain, with pretty much a full-stack army. This consisted of several units of Graal Knights, Sarmatian Auxiliaries, British Legionaries, standard (BI) Roman infantry (heavy and light), Archers, Warlords, Monks, and a Roman general. The Romano-British went straight for Londinium after they appeared btw.

As I was overstreched (with basically no troops left), I had to recruit some Noble Cavalry ASAP to even stand a chance against all that heavy cavalry they had. Managed to recruit a unit of mercenary Graal Knights myself:

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/780175/26725/user_26725/T1_26725_780175.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=780175)

In the battle, went straight for the faction leader, killed him with a cav spam charge (in wedge), and the rest of the Romano-British army routed almost straight away. There you go, emergent faction destroyed within 3 turns ~:thumb:

Just be prepared when the Romano-British appear - make sure you have plenty of heavy cavalry and spear warband already recruited so you can deal with them. Hounds of Culaan just in case :medievalcheers:

Garvanko
10-09-2005, 20:00
In the battle, went straight for the faction leader, killed him with a cav spam charge (in wedge), and the rest of the Romano-British army routed almost straight away. There you go, emergent faction destroyed within 3 turns ~:thumb:

~:cheers:

Irb_the_Pictish_Berserker
10-10-2005, 02:31
I noticed some people in this thread were saying that the Roxolani and some other factions glitched when they tried to play them. There's a real easy way to get them to work. Just go to your bi/data/text folder and open the campaign_descriptions.txt document and add a faction description for the faction you want to play as (just make sure it's in the exact same format as the descriptions for the other factions). The description can be anything you want, even "the Burgundii were a Germanic tribe famous for the invention of the kind of wine that now bears their name. They migrated to Gaul in the fourth century because they ran out of wine and needed a place to make more."

btw, this only works for factions that are already on the map at the start of the campaign:cry:

gmjapan
10-13-2005, 11:57
The celts start in a good position really, there is no real WRE presence on Britian to cause you any real trouble and they arent particularly agressive towards (in my game at least). Also one of your generals can night attack.

I really recommend Player1s bugfixer v2 for BI as it will enable the proper crossbowmen for the celts!

One of your temples gives you up to +3missile upgrade, the other +exp and hounds of cullan and the Morrigan gives less benefit than either of these so ignore it!

You are making money from the start and this is only really interrupted by a blockade on your ports by rebels or WRE. Build peasants to free your real soldiers from garrison and ship them across to Britain. You also have an assasin and a spy, these just happen to be in your towns.

Build a good mixed army, some crossbows, horses, spearmen (that can shiltron if needed), gallowglasses and Hounds. I didnt think much of the scotti chariots, maybe someone can change my mind. When my boats finished a drop-off, they went straight back into a friendly port so pirates didnt sink them. There were too many around to leave the boats exposed for a turn and yours arent good enough to fight. You have two basic choices: take both WRE towns and trigger the Romano-Brits or take one and then ignore the second in favour of invading straight to France or Spain. For example, my Romano-Brits spawned with 6 Grall Knights, legionnaires etc all 2 gold exp, all gold armour and silver weapons. And I couldnt assassinate (2% chance). I got beat down bad, lost 4 generals and wished I hadnt bothered with the second British town. You can also move from Eb to London in 1 turn so if you lose your main army to the Romano-Brits they will chase you back and punish you fast!

If you choose to leave 1 town alone you dont get much bother from the remaining WRE, they are easily contained and you can make loads of money if you grab towns with accessible ports in France or (and!?) Spain. Of course, once you have loads of money, feel free to field a good army and take the last Britain town and twat the Romano-Brits.

Hounds of Cullan make sieges a really quick affair, breach the walls in a couple of places, stick the Hounds nearby and use their special ability, they will charge the breaches and make alot of things rout! But be quick to back them up because they wont ever stop until the battle is done or they are dead. So keep Gallowglasses close by and heavy cav like your general backing them up. Be quick! If you dont lose them you can repair the Hounds at their level one shrine and they will level fast.

If you really want "proper soldiers" (i.e. not peasants) on defense, then your stone walls with +3missile crossbowmen on them give the enemy a real headache! Your spearmen dont stand up to much so only use them to pin down troops while you manouver others around them. That means if you have pictish spearmen on walls defending against ladders etc then they are done for.

Well, on their own they are. I have managed with two units either side of where the invaders will arrive on the wall (a clear gap for them to land on) and slingers / kerns on the ground below them. The 2 spearmen hold them in place while your slingers / kerns effectively hit them in the flank from below! But I dont recommend it because it works best with crossbow men (better against armour) and they are much better being up on the wall in the first place!

When you get to the mainland, use a lot of spies to scout for easy pickings and move fast to them - you will suffer a lot more the longer you leave it.

cunobelinus
10-13-2005, 20:04
i loved playing as the celts . took the hole of britian and then moved towards france and i am going of spain at the mo not the easiest root but i thought it would be a challenge to go a difficult root and not just take the hole of the northen area.I love the units and enjoyed wiping out the romano british to.

Dorkus
10-19-2005, 23:14
5 steps to world domination

1. Build hounds.

2. Click warcry.

3. Watch hounds kill everything.

4. Laugh.

5. Retrain/build more hounds.

Dagobert II
10-25-2005, 20:01
Hey all;

Started a Celt campaign once having seen this thread,
and I admit, it is great fun all around. They do start with
great funding and resources, although the Hounds are a bit
overextended logistics wise. I admit, the Celts keep a great
economy based on the Peasant garrison, and once into Saxony,
the mainland is all whether you want to go after the WRE or
your fellow barbarians. I did the latter, and found that
Gallowglasses are a match for any Infantry unit on the mainland.
I was nervous when the Romano British arrived, but I had generated
enough cavalry through inhertance, that the Warlords and Graals
were no match. The one thing that I would suggest is eliminating
Saxony once Britannia is consolidated, not only for the resources,
but most importantly, making your natural enemies bite the dust.

:knight:

RemusAvenged
11-04-2005, 08:19
I think the Gallowglasses are the best heavy infantry unit in the game hands down. A bit slow but they sure pack a big punch.

Dagobert II
11-06-2005, 15:54
Hey all;

16 provinces with the Celts on H/H is getting to be tough. I am in
a tough war with the Burgundii, but I am getting the upper hand. So far
I've had some great battles.
My question is about the celt Bugfixer, I've read that it will get you
some better missile units, but I am weary that it will affect my current
savegames. Can anyone help me?

Antagonist
11-06-2005, 18:43
AFAIK the bugfixer unlocks the Pictish Crossbowmen unit, a Celtic unit available in Custom Battles/Multiplayer but not in the campaign (bug?) I haven't found bugfixer modifications (the simpler ones at least) to have a compatability problem, but I'd check the readme of whatever modification you're using, just to be sure.

Antagonist

Dagobert II
11-07-2005, 05:30
Hey thanks for the suggestion, I figure this might help a bit, my slingers
can't slaughter enough Lombard Berserkers! I'm sending Assassins to
Sabotage their temples... It seems like the only way...

Enjoy the screenshot!

https://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=celts1ko.jpg

makkyo
11-14-2005, 05:02
I've looked around but I can't find the bugfixer. Can somebody post a like perhaps? After being slaughtered by the Romano-British I really do need some decent missle troops. Throwing rocks at the enemy just isn't going to cut it.

Rilder
11-14-2005, 18:09
Off Topic but will this Bug Fixer work with http://www.twcenter.net/downloads//db/?mod=672

C-F
11-14-2005, 18:23
I've looked around but I can't find the bugfixer. Can somebody post a like perhaps? After being slaughtered by the Romano-British I really do need some decent missle troops. Throwing rocks at the enemy just isn't going to cut it.

Try:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55464

Callahan9119
11-25-2005, 05:54
the problem with celts, and any faction that needs the sea is pirates, my boats suck, now i'm in an all out war with the goths...trying to hold the city i need for a win...my hounds are gone...i feel lost

i cannot win a war of attrition my island in ireland is where i put most of my troop building recources...this may have been my problem, my almost half stack of ships, with valor and upgrades keeps losing to smaller pirates, even with a 3 star admiral

i now have what was a full stack at 75% and my hounds are gone, and goths have a couple cities pumping out troops and keep attacking me, sapping my strength.....this is on vh/vh victory will be tough

Callahan9119
11-25-2005, 06:00
i forgot to mention, besides chasing a general around the island for too long, as i was auto resolving, the romano british are a joke, my hounds made short work of them....hounds rushed as i was setting up my lines, with my 2 warlords and 1 chariot the hounds destroyed most before my spears even were there to "help"

best part of this game so far is watching my hounds rampage around the battle field close up as they wipe out those foolish enough to stop routing

seeing my hounds knock guys 10 feet in the air doesnt seem to get old

makkyo
11-30-2005, 22:49
After getting the patch, I'm well underway with my Celtic campaign. Driving the Romans off of the island was no problem, but I was well aware that the Roman-British would have an army both larger and better trained than my own. My army contained a good 700 men, and I knew that a straight up, open field battle would be too costly against thoes grall knights. I left a force of less than 200 men inside Londinium and the rest was just outside the city. The RB laid siege to the city, and assaulted it the next turn. Funnily enough, my 500 reinforcements came exactly at the enemy's rear. They were able to break through the city's walls before I took out their general with my cavalry. The RB was caught right between my small garison and main army, and quickly routed.

Having secured the British Isle, I built all of the money making buildings I could in order to generate some cash for an invasion force. The Romans were pushovers, simply put. My single stack was able to take all of France. A massive pirate incursion cost me some cash, but I was able to defeat the pirates through sheer numbers of my crappy boats. I took all of the provinces bordering the sea (North of Spain) without much incident.

My second real chalenge to my power came from a simultanious invasion from the Sarmations and the Goths. Talk about crazy. I had since then trained two field armies: one in southern france, and the other in western france. I allied myself with the Alemanii, and was able to trap the entire Goth horde between the Alemanii capitol (from the west) and my field army (from the east). Several incredible battles left my field army severely weakened, but I was sucessful in halting the Goth's advance further west and dwindling their forces down from over 5 full stacks to only a couple very small ones.

The Sarmations attacked sounthern france and laid seige to the city several times, each time failing to take the city or being driven away from sallying from the walls. They were much more of a challenge. Their troops were overall better, and their horse archers gave my slower units hell. I still managed to convince them that my land wasn't worth the cost. I now have France, England, and Norther Germany secured. I have my eye on Italy, but my spies tell me that the Huns are alreay duking it out with the Romans. Both sides aren't friendly, and both look extremely formitable at the moment. Right now I'm content with going for Spain with the hopes of opening a back door to Italy.

Dragoncrusader
01-30-2006, 16:57
Have managed to get the Celts but I noticed that the latest version of Bugfixer does not include the Pictish Crossbowmen in the readme file. Installed it but did not get the opportunity to recruit any crossbows. Any ideas anyone?
cheers

Bobby R.
01-31-2006, 01:03
I fixed your problem,

this is my first post so I hope this works!

to get the pictish crossbowmen go to your Bi data folder then go to export_descr_buildings, then find the words building missiles. When you find that scroll down a little and you'll see recruit written a lot of times. at the bottom (below "western archer") type this,

recruit "celtic crossbowmen" 0 requires factions {celts}

I hope this works for you.

Bobby R.
01-31-2006, 04:27
and write a , after celts so it looks like this {celts,}

Dragoncrusader
02-02-2006, 18:30
Thanks
I will give it a go and then happy slaughtering!

caspian
02-25-2006, 20:19
What effective army composition would be best against the hordes and their horse archers? My last army consisting of Gallowglasses, Levy Spearmen, Hounds and Noble Clansmen were wiped out by some marauding Goths. Maybe Im not used to having no missile troops to field against those pesky Horsemen.

Any advice aside from hiring missile mercs?

Dorkus
02-26-2006, 03:44
Best way to deal with horse archers is to chase them with one unit, and get them to run into another unit. Once they engage in melee, they're mincemeat.

It's tricky to do, of course. Try to use the battlefield borders to your advantage.

Watchman
02-27-2006, 16:30
I've noticed nearly any semi-decent heavy infantry and spearmen can be safely pulled into *very* long and thin lines if all you're dealing with is light horse archers (who, sensibly enough, tend to avoid hand-to-hand like the plague). Ditto for melee cavalry. This makes it relatively easy to simply herd the HA against map edge and crush them against it - it's messy, it's ugly, it's pretty much an exploit and overall there are rather few good things to say about it, but it does win you battles against the dodgy bastards.

'Course, if there's melee cavalry or God forbid multiple FamiCav sharing the stack with the HAs it might get a bit more tricky...

Mamba
03-20-2006, 05:54
Played these folks a few times lately, and one thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned is the Saxons.

These fellows have the goal of invading your fair isle, and so they should be a top priority. As soon as I had dealt with the immediate threat of the Romans and Romano-British, a large Saxon force landed next to Londinium. I managed to fend them off, and kept enough men to send an assault force on their city. I managed to get lucky and survive a couple pirate assaults, and landed right next to Vicus Saxoni. I took the city and therefore wiped out the Saxons.

That threat being dealt with, I turned my attention to the remaining German clans. As it turned out the Western Roman Rebels held the city nearest to Vicus Saxoni on the left, so I took it quickly. I then made war on the Burgundii, therefore solidifying my prescence on the European mainland. By this time the Lombardii, Franks, Alemanni, and Burgundii were all trying to make nice, so I did.

The Romans then assaulted, and I beat them back and countered by taking Colonia Agrippina. I then proceeded to backstab the Franks by taking Vicus Frankii. Luckily, they had taken another settlement and were unable to horde. Then I proceeded to march into France.

To win, I needed to take Lugdinensis. However, due to a strange twist of fate, I didn't find the Romans there, as I expected, but the Huns. I was forced to assault the city and declare war on the Huns. I barely managed to wrest the city from their grasp, but in so doing I unleashed the full Hunnic horde. I still needed two cities, and I was at war with basically everyone in the West (Romans, WER, Franks, and the Huns). I was forced to march two full stack armies to assault the Hunnic hordes to attempt to keep the city.

Unfortunately, I failed in this. I lost the city and had it sacked by the Hunnic horde, but managed to wipe out two of the three stacks. They proceeded to move into my territory and I gathered as many troops as I could to handle them. My ragtag bunch of troops BARELY managed to beat them off, and I was forced to regroup.

The Franks didn't give me a chance to do that. They besieged two of my cities, and I was forced to withdraw back to my original three German cities.

Meanwhile on the British Isles, I managed to smash the pirates and raise three full stack armies. These armies arrived in the nick of time and went full out against the Franks. I took the remaining Frankish cities and went head to head with their hordes. I soundly defeated them and wiped out the faction.

At this point I was right back where I started, plus one settlement. During this little detour I managed to wipe out two factions that were threats. I continued my march into France, still needing one settlement. I found that settlement by backstabbing the Alemanni and taking their starting settlement.

This was probably the most exciting game I have played of RTW, be it vanilla or Barbarian Invasion.

Seige_Engineer
03-20-2006, 17:24
Awesome stuff Mamba! Looks like the Celts can actually be a winner if played correctly! :D

On HA's: Scotti Chariots? If they get a bonus against Cav, then surely they would be idea to use against HA's?

Mamba
03-20-2006, 21:11
The Huns were a challenge primarily because of those Horse Archers. Luckily I had a lot of Spearmen and managed to box in the majority of the Horse Archers before they could do a ton of damage. My cavalry hunted down their meager infantry.

What really took me apart was their Heavy Cavalry, which were both plentiful and powerful. Despite having around 500 spearmen, they consistantly flanked my troops and managed to rout a good number of them. Lag didn't help, either.

I was lucky enough to have a general with the night assault ability so I was able to slowly take apart their hordes, but, like I said in my previous post, I did lose my first three full stack armies against theirs. There was a huge disadvantage in fighting these guys with the Celts: it's clear that they aren't really meant to clash. Even numbers and they still managed to crush me with around 1/3 of their men left...

Unforgivable-Fenrir
05-05-2006, 18:01
I played these as this faction and it was fun. Just make sure that you leave a lot of men in Londonium after you take it because the Romano_British will show up sooner or later. But i was able to take all the required provinces and am now currently taking spain from the inferior romans.

Patriarch of Constantinople
06-11-2006, 08:09
Hounds of Culaan + a good naval position= OH YEAH!

I love hounds of culaan. i can use 2 units of them and kill 357 men with losing 5

Monarch
07-15-2006, 11:12
Just started a campaign with Celts. I quickly took the British Isles however money was very low, I had pumped out troops to counter the R-Brits, so I sent the diplomat you start with around mainland europe selling map info, riased quite a bit of quick cash.

When the Brits spawned I simply let them assault LOndoninium. I let them have the walls and fell back to the hill (the advantage of a barbar style city). Now, I know everybodies raving about these Hounds, I agree they are great but, especially when your on the defensive, I suggest the Celtic Spearmen, put them into schiltron formation. I placed 3 schiltoned spearmen as my front line at Londoninium and the bulk of the British army attack, they assaulted the schiltrons and made little headway, I could have left them to all die out but to save a few of my own troops I sent 3 HoC units round the rear and as they cause fear amongst enemy the British routed very quickly.

Gallowglasses are quite good, get a few per army for a more solid infantry line, but main army should be hounds and schiltroning spearmen.

Olaf The Great
10-05-2006, 00:34
This is what I did.

Gallowglasses: Use them as the "line" unit
Hounds of Calahn:Extremely useful units, have 2 in each army, can rout the enemy in seconds.
Noble cal. use as light cal.
Graal Knights: Use as heavy cal, recruited in N. Gaul and S. Britain.
Chariots: Use these guys as horsearchers and line breakers, yet, they are extremely weak, use Sarmatians more for this role

Sarmatians, better then other cal. as they shoot arrows, cheap, and are better then Roman heavy cavalry.

Orb
10-15-2006, 19:47
OK, I'm trying to nail this campaign at the moment, great fun:

Troop types:

Missile

Kerns - not a lot of use, with the more powerful cavalry and greater armour, skirmishers appear to be obsolete
Slingers - quite good, but can't use fire arrows. Essentially, you have an enormous disadvantage in siege defence. Keep the Saxon capital's temple to get gold weapons for them. Use them to nail schiltroms.
Crossbowmen - haven't really used these, but if they're the same as the merc. Bucelarii, they're useless.
Sarmatian Horse Archer mercs. - Extremely useful archer cavalry, with an ability to go hand-to-hand when necessary. Treat them as a hunter/flanking unit, and you shouldn't go wrong. Hire in Britain, retrain in Saxony, use everywhere.
Light Chariots - useless for themselves, but the morale effect is quite neat, sit them behind the battle line, or use them to run across the back of the enemy line. Cause extreme panic.

dacdac
10-16-2006, 20:26
I like the crossbowmen against the Romans though. When your facing an Urban Hohort, crossbow bolts seem to have a higher kill rate than arrows. They are also better in melee so they can take similar units such as archers or javelin throwers

Orb
10-16-2006, 23:26
I like the crossbowmen against the Romans though. When your facing an Urban Hohort, crossbow bolts seem to have a higher kill rate than arrows. They are also better in melee so they can take similar units such as archers or javelin throwers

hm, after playing on a bit:

Problems: your 'archers' are all direct-fire or short range. This makes them nearly useless on the defence if you don't have a virtual cliff to sit on. Use them on the attack, to draw out enemies. On the defence, first break the enemy horsemen, then use them to cause damage by flanking or just breaking up schiltroms.

dacdac
10-17-2006, 20:36
good point, what i should have said is that when they are preoccupied with another unit, to flank and shoot. They are also good in defending sieges. Not as much range, but can take out siege forces quickly that are pushing towers or rams. They can hold their own a little longer than most archers if the walls get overrun.

Orb
10-27-2006, 21:34
I just tried simultaneously converting my entire "empire" (9 provinces in Britain, Gaul and Germany) to Christianity simultaneously. It doesn't work, but watching all the rebellions is great fun :D

dacdac
10-27-2006, 23:01
Orb said:

I just tried simultaneously converting my entire "empire" (9 provinces in Britain, Gaul and Germany) to Christianity simultaneously. It doesn't work, but watching all the rebellions is great fun :D

Peoples of God. The mod which will Arabize YOU!
Death threats received so far: 2
Death threats sent so far: 2

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

I'll drink to that man. If they start rebelling, take out the troops, turn around and kill all the people. Sets you back a couple of years, but putting down heretics is so much fun, it pays for itself.

Fate
12-21-2006, 14:05
Edited in the Celts last night and started playing them, and i must admit, so far, its a thoroughly enjoyable campaign.
I managed to take the romano-british out within 3 turns. They appeared and i always thought it was on the south coast, so my spies were looking at the wrong place. They besieged London, and i sallied out, my 3 units of sarmatian archers sallying out of the side gate to flank them, drawing the RB back, so my infantry could leave my main gate. Rather chilvalrously, they formed up far away from the city allowing me to create my battle lines. My 3 units of sarmatian HA's nearly wiped out all of their infantry and once the HA's were dry i started moving the lines in, they chanrged with their Graal cav against my spear lines, and were quickly caught by braced spears, and my 2 generals flanking them and causing a quick rout. 3 of the 5 units of Graal's were destryoed, as were all of the infantry and archers. I suffered about 50 casualties where as the Romano-Brits suffered about 500.

Now im just building up my treasury to invade gaul.

The only real complant about eh campaign is that there arent enough troop types, more or less everything is unlocked when you start to play.

Severous
02-06-2007, 00:54
One region away from completion.

Mercenary army just captured Rome. As usual you can recruit all sorts of advanced troops in Rome. This is the first time ive seen these Pictish Crossbowmen. They are only a little more powerful than the mercenary equivalent....but less than half the wages to maintain.
https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7967/celt374w2romeallowsadvaqb9.th.jpg (https://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=celt374w2romeallowsadvaqb9.jpg)

I am going on in the campaign to kill all the WRE. Imposed a couple of house rules... not moving my capital from Ireland nor using the beserkers.

druged_beserker
04-15-2007, 15:16
I have always loved the Celts, simply the fact you can have your own island as the center of your Impirial empire.:laugh4:

Richthofenn
05-06-2007, 23:41
can u guide me through the process
becuase it does not work so far

Richthofenn
05-06-2007, 23:41
can u guide me through the process
becuase it does not work so far

Richthofenn
05-06-2007, 23:58
or what form mods do i need (any updates e.g. v1.5 or something)

plz tell me

:inquisitive: :wall:

~Isabella of Castile~
05-07-2007, 06:08
forgive me if I'm being blind sighted, but where do you put this celt thing in to play them? also I'm still trying who to play for my first time playing R:TW BI

Severous
05-07-2007, 08:53
Hi

The second post of this thread tells us how to do it.

Here is a screenshot I did to help someone with the same problem with Alexander.
https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7015/editalexih5.th.jpg (https://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=editalexih5.jpg)
In your case you are looking for the BI file rather than Alexander. Remove celts from unplayable and put them in the playable list. Take a back up before you do it. Make sure it all lines up, no invisible extra spaces or you can kiss your game goodbye.

Good luck.

Here is my completed and fully documented Celt campaign:
http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,5870,30,all

Revenant69
09-12-2007, 20:13
Well, I decided to give Barbarian Invasion a try after a long period of not playing. I wanted to choose a small campaign so that I could finish it quickly and I chose to play as the Celts.

My oh my, am I glad that I've made that choice. To say that the campaign is increadibly exciting would be an understatement. So far the campaign has an explosive beginning and I'm really enjoying all those Celtic units, trying to learn how to use them to the best. Great stuff. I even decided to do a write up of the campaign as I play. You can read it here:

Celtic Campaign Report (http://www.slavab.com/RTW/celts.html)

I will continuously update the page above as I progress through the campaign. Have a read. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

So far, I can say that Celts are an interesting faction to play.
Cheers.

EDIT: Well, I've finally finished playing Celts and can add my few more cents.
Units: Celts have a nice selection of units, although their infantry can be quite vulnerable to missile fire (like Gallowglasses and Hounds of Culann) it does seem to be capable to deal with all threats. Use Pictish Spearmen in schiltrom formation - they can take a beating and not worry about "Flanks being exposed". Gallowglasses and Houdns of Culann are good enough to be used during sieges. Just watch out for arrow fire, if you are bringing the Hounds to fight on the wall, bring another crappy unit to draw missile fire. In my last battle for Ravenna, two units of Hounds destroyed a couple of units of Comitatenses and some archers that were guarding the gate.

Slingers and Kerns are OK, but you need max upgrades for them to be able to do any damage whatsoever. I am quite dissapointed with Scotii Chariots - they seem too weak. Noble Clansmen are quite good - a good bang for the buck - they can handle (not necessarily kill) most heavy cavalry, just don't get them overwhelmed.

Strategy: When expanding, be very mindful about not expanding your borders too much. Use natural obstacles (rivers, mountains) as your defensive choke points. Build a network of forts in mountain passes, near bridges and other locations to help you secure the peace of your vast empire (I used the river Rhine, the Alps and the Pirenees as my additional defence). Although Celts are not meant to fight the Huns (remember, your infantry is vulnerable to missile fire) it IS possible to beat them. I fought the Huns' stacks, albeit somewhat depleted, and survived. Use assassins to knock out their (or other horde's) lesser family members until only the faction leader and an heir are left, then kill these two in battle. The rest of the horde will simply melt away.

Diplomacy can be tricky. I was allied to the Huns, but then they crossed the Alps and attacked me =( Traitorous scum. So don't trust the word they say. A good defense on the river Rhine is a must if you want to hold off the Franks, Burgundii, Alemanni and the Saxons from knocking you back to Britannia (although in my game Saxons were my allies pretty much from the start and to the end).

Well, so far so good. Keep an eye on the link above - I'll keep updating my gameplay story. Who knows, maybe it'll help someone.

Ozzman1O1
09-24-2007, 20:36
:duel: im kinda a saxon person,but now i whant to defend britain,the hounds of cullann and gallow glasses are life savers!but its almost is a waste of denareii to make practic ranges,but a good tip is to never go into spain,if you do,the romans go pyscho:viking:

Hound of Ulster
10-29-2007, 17:02
The Celts were fun in BI, but don't get bogged down in Europe. The Goths, Vandals, Franks, and Huns will run over you like a speed bump. I had some trouble with the Romano-British, but I eventually wore them down.:ireland:

Celtic_Punk
12-02-2007, 00:15
k i started my Celtic campaign a wee while ago, and tara always seems to loose more and more cash, it put me into huge debt for awhile, but now that i have all of england i want to keep it as such for about 20 or some odd years before I'm ready to move inland...build up army, and build my economy and cities. any suggestions or criticisms and what not?

Ozzman1O1
12-02-2007, 15:06
farming is your best economic growth in england,alot of farms,enough denarii to sail your diplomat overseas and make dennarii throuhg trade rights like theres no tommorow,once youve turned a few towns into large towns your econemy will big enough to attack the the saxons and finish off any threat of invasion.......then you scale northern gaul.......hope that helps...

Celtic_Punk
12-04-2007, 03:42
k i took saxony and the 2 provinces due south, however, im meeting HUUUUUUUUUGE resistance from allemani, whom betrayed me, aswell as the burgandii

im stuck between a rock and a hard place

if i leave europe, ill lose many men, gold, and probably go into debt, as my irish english welsh and scottish provinces make no money, but if i stayh and try to hold on, i feel ill be overrun, and i cant seem to get diplomats thru because i have to throw my funds onto getting soldiers from england to europe and build up in europe.... i can see why these guys arent a playable faction lol

what is the best combo of troops, my main downfall during seiges is the lack of missile units, i just have kerns, and they dont take out seige rams well... so their cavalry units get thru and mop up my infantry and over run my cavalry

can i still use that patch for the missile units with my save game?

Celtic_Punk
12-09-2007, 00:26
absolute craziness, the damn romans pissed me off, so i sent about 10 assassins at their best generals and govenors... needless to say, most of them failed and now im in a huge war, the romans, allied with the alemanii, have taken frisii, and the province south of it ( which was pumping out my pict crossbowmen ) and all i have is the north shore of Europe and the british isles aswell.. the burgundii have settled down now, and ive gone neutral with them and trade... I think i woke the sleeping giant with rome... my only hope is to kill off the alemani as quick as possible so i can try to reach a defensible border with the romans. but right now ive fallen back into a defensive war... incredibly hard, and i lose lots of money and family members.

how do i get the man of the hour thing in barbarian invasion... it seems alot harder than it did in the base game

Centurion1
04-02-2008, 02:23
I find that after one heroic victory or a few sieges then i get man of the hour.
I am in a Vh/Vh campaign right now and i am loving the Celts. After making pictish crossbowmen more common and grall knights more common mercenaries (king arthur was a celtic Briton after all):2thumbsup: I am now moving into northern gaul. However the franks are now putting up stiff resistance to every landing i make, meeting me with full stacks every time. I beat them down with the hounds of britian, but am too weak to take and hold cities. The romano-british were definently overated earlier in this post and had me worried, but one charge with four family members and a grall knight at their general absolutely broke them and had them fleeing with their tails between their legs. Can anyone say HEROIC VICTORY. So i guess i will turtle in britian for a while and completely upgrade my cities and revamp my armies.
The one problem with the celts are the pirates i cant even roam the seas with my ships but have to hide in my ports! I'm figuring on clearing them from my seas with some massive fleets on constant patrol around the isles. Is tara a money pit for anyone else?
Oh well off to kill more franks for morrigan
:2thumbsup:

Celtic_Punk
04-03-2008, 21:38
the key is to keep your generals and governors from becoming trash, dont use any tax over normal, and you get bonuses to your management. If you go under as the celts and youve already invaded the continent, your in a world of hurt. I suggest sacking most if not all settlements at that point and trying to ferry troops back across like its dunkirk before dunkirk actually happend haha. I pulled myself out of 60k debt as celts before but only because of my walls, so make sure you get stone walls on your forward settlements ASAP

im trying a new strategy now, stick within my original borders, and just raid the western roman settlements in britian, and then once i make myself about as arich as your everyday jew ill move out!

Yaropolk
07-14-2009, 22:55
Slavs as playable and Roxolani as unplayable - shouldn't it be the other way around? I've tried modding in the Celts btw and it worked just fine - crappy missile-troops though (only javelins), and inferior berserkers compared to the lombards.

Just make sure you make that backup.

Hounds are better than berserkers - they are available with a 1 turn built temple and are armor piercing. Have a training center for them somewhere in teh back, and retrain pretty much anywhere after battle.

Centurion1
09-02-2009, 02:46
Good solid points.

I often send the army for Caralis to Syracuse first. Many times, I can let the first wave of Scips take all the casualties while the Bruti take the city. That army (with a few mercs) can often re-embark and STILL reach caralis ahead of the Julii -- or at least in time to do the same thing I did in Sicily (let them start the siege, but YOU start the siege assault, let them bleed on the walls, but take the city for the profits yourself). I do this with one bireme (which NEVER has troops still on it at the end of a move after turn #2).

No douby about it just turtling and teching up can net the celts huge cash returns. then you build one great army with troops ready for garrison duty and you walk all over northern gaul. The isles are a real cashcow if you play it right with traderights.

Robert the Bruce
11-02-2009, 01:19
the celts rule!

IceWolf
11-12-2009, 15:08
They do rule. They rule to the extant that I didn't find them much of a challange to Play. An army with a gouple genera;s a coupla chariot arrchers and hounds of Cunan backed up by Gallowglasses can go through pretty much anything.

Icewolf

Celtic_Punk
11-15-2009, 01:40
I found northern Europe quite difficult to subdue. Most of the european factions band together to take you out.

NordicCelt
07-29-2010, 08:04
Okay I don't know where to put this but this is funny. I was playing the Celts and was working on taking over britain. So I capture londinum and I decide to say screw it and massacre the people. Second I did that the game froze and no longer worked. Second it happened I remembers how CA was an english company. XD

Tsar Alexsandr
07-30-2010, 02:54
Okay I don't know where to put this but this is funny. I was playing the Celts and was working on taking over britain. So I capture londinum and I decide to say screw it and massacre the people. Second I did that the game froze and no longer worked. Second it happened I remembers how CA was an english company. XD

Sounds like a very peculiar glitch.... XD Lol, CA.

The Celts are a very interesting faction. You know how Hadrian never wanted to mess with the Scotti tribe? Well Rome's on it's last legs. Time for the Celts to rise up and expell the invaders!

The first few turns you're doing okay for money. That's good, cause you'll need it. Build up your army. I reccomend Pictish Spearmen. They're basic, defensive, and good at killing cav. And right now, you could use some defensive infantry. You start with some good signature Celtic shock troops and specialist troops. So spears are the way to go. I know they're not exciting. But they'll keep you alive.

Rome's army in England is larger than yours. But they're struggling. They are a Christian faction lately, but Britain is still pagan. Good news for you.... This means that Rome's cities in England are a constant problem for the Western Roman Empire. But the troops are still there to be contended with.

Usually, I have to fight a big battle towards the begining. It turns out to be a heroic victory, I get a nifty little marker up in Scotland, and that seals Rome's fate in the Isles. But, after you defeat the Romans, you know have to deal with the Romano-Britons. That's right. Some locals think they are "Roman" now. Well, you can't have that. You have to beat them too.

They're mostly defenisve, so your mixed forces should help you out a lot. The Britons have no offensive infantry on par with your own.

With them out of the way, England is yours. Watch out for lousy Saxon raiders. Other than that, the only thing you have to worry about is picking who to go after next. If you wanna get involved in the madness in Europe, by all means invade fractured France. You'll find nice Roman cities waiting for you. Or maybe pre-emptively striking the Saxons? Their lands okay. And likely to remain stable. It'll also give you complete control of the northern waters. Spain might be nice. You had some ancestors from there too. The Iberian-Celts. Why not take that? For one you'll only have to worry about Berber incursions, (and you can beat the Berbers... XD ) of course Rome needs to be thrown from Iberia if you want it. But... you could manage that...

Celtic_Punk
10-01-2013, 02:50
I never tried iberia... I kept going for northern and western europe... Getting held back and bombarded and battered constantly by everyone. It's as if they remember the La Tene Celts and decide "HELLS NAW NOT ON MY CONTINENT! EVERYONE ATTACK THEM AND STOP FIGHTING THE ROMANS!"

Quite aggrivating...