PDA

View Full Version : Traits and Ancillaries Validator

Malrubius
10-16-2005, 22:31
Traits and Ancillaries Validator v0.5b
-----------------------------------

I've had several instances where a typo or a non-existent trait or ancillary was referenced in a trigger and caused the game to do a hard CTD (no error message whatsoever). To prevent that from happening, I wrote this little program.

Just place it in your Data folder or wherever your export_descr_character_traits.txt and export_descr_ancillaries.txt are located, and double-click. It will examine the files to make sure you don't try to give a general a non-existent trait or ancillary (non-existent meaning it's not defined, or it's misspelled, etc), as well as a few other of my common mistakes.

It will list all the defined traits and ancillaries in the file Traits.txt (this list could come in handy for documentation ~D ), as well as any potential problems in TraitErrors.txt. It makes a list of the non-Hidden traits that should have entries in the export_VnVs.txt file (haven't got around to doing error-checking on this file yet), and outputs them to OutputEnums.txt.

Download here:
http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/validator.html

alpaca
10-16-2005, 23:00
Looks good. I might alter it a little to fit my needs ;)

Malrubius
10-18-2005, 00:00
If you have any suggested features, I'd be happy to hear them. Code would be even better! ~D

DimeBagHo
10-27-2005, 13:35
I've been using this and it it is *very* handy. Tracking down errors in these files was a major pain in the ass before.

Malrubius
10-27-2005, 16:15
I know! ~D I have some more features planned, but any suggestions are welcome.

DimeBagHo
10-30-2005, 14:58
A check for the existence of all the descriptions would be great.

Malrubius
10-30-2005, 17:05
I almost have that ready. I was thinking of something that checks the events and conditions to make sure they're valid, as well, but I've been concentrating on things that would actually cause crashes. Not having a description definitely falls into that category! ~;)