PDA

View Full Version : Adding Faction Progress and Chat:

spmetla
09-21-2002, 13:57
Erasing the past...

barocca
09-22-2002, 19:32
how is your progress on this one?

Giljay, Target, EatColdSteel, Longjohn and company - (i know there are more, just can't find all the names at the moment)
have not replied it is impossible,
therfore it must be possible,

scots flag, shields and bif shield are availble from the demo mod section,
just in case you'd like to see someone elses idea,

Could you zip all your edited files and upload them with any notes to the Medieval beta files section, and i'll do a watch load of the game and see what errors it chucks at me and get back to you,
Beta/Test file upload area http://www.totalwar.org/site/MTWbeta.php3

thanks,
B

spmetla
09-23-2002, 07:56
Erasing the past...

Wellington
09-23-2002, 08:59
Hi spmetla,

I've been examining this very issue for the last week and the good news is you can indeed add "new" factions in the campaign game.

I'm busy writing up the details of how MTW handles factions, and what is and is'nt possible.

I'll post this info (possibly tomorrow) in a new thread, and give a step by step guide to creating a scottish faction (which I've done and am currently playing with - but I hav'nt got all the 'minor' issues sorted out yet).

In the meantime, carry on with your shield/flag modding - your not wasting your time.

(BTW - there is a BIF file in the campmap directory called "castleflags.bif" which show the almohad castle flag. Not sure if it's used or if it's merely a template - maybe something to check into?)

barocca
09-23-2002, 10:06
I have the asia/pacific version, and the campmap/catleflags.bif only has Shogun Flags in it,

however there is another castleflags.bif in
campmap/pieces/buildings
which has all the current medieval castleflags in it
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
Perhaps you need to add a scots one as frame 21?

you would extract a frame, then edit it to be scots, rename it CastleFlags_f21.bmp
then import it and save the replacement bif,

IF this IS the castleflags file,
AND the developers have allowed new factions,
then it should display the Scots flag on request!

Wellington
09-23-2002, 10:34
Hi Barocca,

I have the European version of MTW and the directory campmap\pieces\buildings also has a single almohad flag in it!

Not sure what the impacations are ...

... "curiouser and curiouser said Alice!"

spmetla
09-23-2002, 12:01
Erasing the past...

barocca
09-23-2002, 14:00
guys,
just to humour me,
when you open the file in bif editor

click the upper drop down box and see if there are any more frames,

each flag here is on it's own frame,

the first frame is almohad,

alternately hit the options tab and then click "Timer(go)",
here this cycles through all the flags in the file..

Wellington
09-24-2002, 04:12
Spot on Barocca.

20 frames in the bif, each one representing a different faction flag.

I wondered why the file was 47K ... DOH

Thanks for that.

spmetla
09-24-2002, 09:24
Erasing the past...

USMCNJ
09-24-2002, 11:00
that's why people are mad at the .BIF you have to make a whole new file with the number of frames you need.

spmetla
09-25-2002, 09:00
Erasing the past...

Wellington
09-28-2002, 20:58
Quote Originally posted by spmetla:
I just downloaded those bifs that LK made for the scots but I dislike the light blue. I'm making them a darker blue.
[/QUOTE]

For my Scots faction I merely copied the Scottish.bif and Scottish.tga from the Bannockburn Historical battle folder (Battle\batinit\Historical Battles\Battle of Bannockburn).

Works fine if you want a basic Scots flag.

spmetla
09-29-2002, 14:56
Erasing the past...

spmetla
10-04-2002, 01:34
Erasing the past...

Wellington
10-04-2002, 04:21
I noticed that in the .exe the blank spaces for extra slots are reffered to as Extra** instead of Free** like in the Loc/Eng files.

Think that means somthing?[/QUOTE]

I suspect not. Software developers often create tables/arrays that contain more entries than are required to service the immediate needs. This is useful for both testing and for future enhancements/expansions. Any text in such tables such as 'extra'/'free' merely serves to indicate to other developers that a specific 'slot' is not being used at present but the mechanics are in place for that slot's use at some future time.

Any currently used slots are generally identified by means of a loop that serves to control/identify the limits of such a table -

eg, in pseudo code:

IF faction-id is between 1 and 20
access faction-details-table
ELSE
error
ENDIF

It is extremely difficult to identify the actual offsets (in an .exe) of such values specified in a statement such as the above.

The nthe

Lord Krazy
10-04-2002, 06:35
I was wondering have you used the changes.txt
yet?

LK

[This message has been edited by Lord Krazy (edited 10-04-2002).]

spmetla
10-04-2002, 09:12
Erasing the past...

Lord Krazy
10-04-2002, 10:23
I'v been thinking this as well
The problem as u know is the
amount of things that need to be changed
if u do it trial and error it will
take ages but I will start now.
See u next year lol.

LK

spmetla
10-04-2002, 13:32
Erasing the past...

Lord Krazy
10-04-2002, 13:44
spmetla wrote:

I think the reason for the crashes and such must be that their are no real faction leaders for FREE_01. So I'm gonna tinker around and see if there's something that comes up.

---------------------------------------------

That's what I mean about lots of files
to make compatable

LK

Lord Krazy
10-04-2002, 15:16
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
........well sorta......
THERE ARE SCOTS IN THE GAME!!!

Using the faction FREE_01 in the starpos Early I have added in the scots

[/QUOTE]

in the where?

LK

Wellington
10-04-2002, 15:48
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
........well sorta......
THERE ARE SCOTS IN THE GAME!!![/QUOTE]

Pleased to hear of some progress using the 'free' slots for new factions.

Using the faction FREE_01 in the starpos Early I have added in the scots.
There are problems besides my crappy art. Like I can't make them a major facton. If I right click on any scotish unit the game goes stupid. I tryed fighting a battle against them as you can see but the game went to desktop when the battle was loading.
[/QUOTE]

Can you confirm EXACTLY what you are using for the faction identifier in the campaign scripts ('ID_FREE01', ID_FREE_01' 'FREE_01' ???)

Also ensure your script is NOT predefined ("cn_predefined::false") as the predefined scripts have hard coded tables (or maybe they are calls) in Medieval.exe that define the properties for the Major factions in the EARLY/HIGH/LATE scripts.

The slot: FREE_01 appears to be a all black unit, the strategic pieces along with their territories are all black, this would cause confusion with HRE so I'll have to see if the other free slots have differnt colors.
[/QUOTE]

I would expect all free slots to have black as their primary and secondary colours.

As the faction colours are undoubtadly coded in a table, giving the RGB numbers for both colours for each fcation, I would expect empty (ie: free) slots in such a table to be low values - zeros.

Hence, as the RGB values 0,0,0 define the colour black - that explains it!

If only I could find the exact location of such table, we could change the colours. Still looking ....Sigh!

I think the reason for the crashes and such must be that their are no real faction leaders for FREE_01. So I'm gonna tinker around and see if there's something that comes up.
[/QUOTE]

Try associating your new 'FREE_01' factions leader with an established faction (ie: using the French values - "SetStartLeader:: FREE_01 0 5 3 1 1 1 0 0 0")

spmetla
10-04-2002, 16:30
Erasing the past...

Lord Krazy
10-04-2002, 20:12
spmetla,
send me your txt files please.
Just the ones you changed of course
from loc and campmap
I might be able to help
or at least it might help me.
Thanks

LK

NagatsukaShumi
10-04-2002, 20:26
The reason it crashes is mainly because it is black, and as we know it's the HRE's colour. Now I've though about it and the solution is pretty simple. Try removing the HRE from your campaign completely and then give it a whirl, also you'll need to fiddle about with the crusaders.txt files, but Lord Krazy is the guy to ask about that.

Anyway, I'll be away until sunday, have fun, oh and the first part of Missing Links is been released, now LITHUANIA is a playable faction (Replacing Poland, all that's left to do is right a description for them when you click their name in a campaign and then assembling a file and the beta version will be released!)

Anyway, send you files to samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk if your still having problems and I'll have a look and see where you are possibly going wrong.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi

NagatsukaShumi
10-04-2002, 20:28
When I said something about the cruscaders files, I meant to define what building the Scots can build etc, not important at the moment, try the HRE thing though.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi

spmetla
10-05-2002, 14:23
Erasing the past...

Lord Krazy
10-05-2002, 18:09
Stupid newbe questions he he

How many faction colours are there?

Can we add more?

If not why not?

Do you need a unique colour scheme per faction?

If so why?

Where the hell are they?
(They are hardcoded will not do ok)

Is this why Free01 wont work?

Can you assigne a colour scheme?

If so how?

Can we do without a hard coded faction colour system
and do the colours ourselves ?

Are the names hard coded or jus need all the right files in place?

Will Liverpool win at the weekend?

Is there a thread with all the answers?

Am I krazy?

LK

Lord Krazy
10-06-2002, 09:20
come on the last question is easy.

LK

spmetla
10-06-2002, 14:22
Erasing the past...

Lord Krazy
10-06-2002, 15:24
it won't accept my campmap\pieces\units\........\shields\F1021

nothing to do with leaders on that one
it will accept them in other entries.
the names i still can't figure out
the scottish have an entry they use
and the irish use that too when they
start as rebals.
yet when they start as english they have
english names

however if you start the welsh or the scottish as english they keep thier names

so is this because they have an entry and the irish don't

but the irish have scottish names as rebels

so how does this work?

if i want to put names for the irish
can i and do i use free01 thing in names
or somewhere ?

LK http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Lord Krazy
10-06-2002, 23:46
ok liverpool won 1_0 not _01 .
it was a FN FREE_shot
so thats 3 questions answered
and the battle had 22 units too
if only I could do that he he.

LK

Sogo
10-12-2002, 05:44
I've followed along with this thread and havent had much sucess with a working, fully functioning NEW faction. What I did instead was take an existing faction "italians" and turned them into the irish. The result is, ive had EVERYTHING working perfectly. All references from the italian faction were now all irish. The one problem and a big one at that is all the Kings and Heirs had italian names. I changed all the names of italian everywhere in the mtw folder and none of that helped. What I did find out is the kings/doge/etc names are inside the mtw.exe and have no way of getting at them to change. I'm curious to know if someone else has successfully done a conversion so that they will recieve generals/heirs with new names, cause even if the irish faction is complete in every way, when the kings all have italian names it takes quite a bit away from it.

Wellington
10-13-2002, 17:26
Sogo,

Have good look through names.txt and changes.txt in Loc/eng.

Changing ALL italian names to Irish should work.

Daniel
10-17-2002, 14:38
What If I Just wanted the Rebel Factions to have a king and offspring. could i do that?

dclare4
10-17-2002, 15:27
Different regions have different specific names assigned to them. This is another reason why my Total War of the Roses TC mod will have Yorkists in Red and Lancastrians in Gray. For instance the Swiss and German factions use the same name set; the Scots, Welsh, Friesians and Flemish apparently have their own names as evidenced by the names file but most others will share. The Egyptians/Almohads are some of the hardest since sometimes their forenames are interchanged with their surnames. Anyways if you want to make Irish names you'll have to change the Scots names too.

Gilbert de Clare

Lord Krazy
10-17-2002, 17:33
btw alot of the Scottish are Irish
anyway for example

Cormac
Eoin
Cullane
Donnchadh
Cathal
Patrick, well it's french but you know
what I mean.

LK

Daniel
10-17-2002, 22:52
How do I Make Kings though? Like Im four explain

Lord Krazy
10-18-2002, 00:40
Quote Originally posted by Daniel:
How do I Make Kings though? Like Im four explain[/QUOTE]

you can't, now go to bed!

ok if your a good boy you

can go to the changes.txt in

the \loc\eng: folder

and change what the name of the

title of your king is but

I'm not sure if that is what you want

to do.

So be good boy and explain like

a grown up what you want to

do exactly and Uncle Krazy might

be able to help.

night night

and don't forget to say your prayers

LK

Daniel
10-19-2002, 05:58
I can become any rebel facton in the game and they all become controled by me. from the scots to the sand fudgers in the sahara. I killof my selfin allof the other provinces and leave myself the scots. I need a king!!!! Can i give the rebel faction a King...and little babies that grow up to be bigger babies. How do i change the files to do what im asking

Lord Krazy
10-19-2002, 06:22
I can become any rebel facton in the game and they all become controled by me. from the scots to the sand fudgers in the sahara. I killof my selfin allof the other provinces and leave myself the scots. I need a king!!!! Can i give the rebel faction a King...and little babies that grow up to be bigger babies. How do i change the files to do what im asking[/QUOTE]

Don't play the rebels.If you insist on called the rebels then change the name
of another faction to rebels and if you
want to be the scots well change thier names
titel and so on .I'm waiting for the
patch before I do anything apart from
animations and humor people like
your self no offence meant of course.
In other words I don't know the answer
to you question and I don't think you
can do it right now.I hope someone proves me
wrong again but I won't hold my breath

LK

Daniel
10-19-2002, 23:15
the rebels can be changed i've seen it in another post but doesnt explain it very well something about FREE_O1 or someshit well the patch could be forever and ever...Ill look around and if you save your files you can replace them later so youdont f up your game

Lord Krazy
10-20-2002, 12:26
the rebels can be changed i've seen it in another post but doesnt explain it very well something about FREE_O1 or someshit well the patch could be forever and ever...Ill look around and if you save your files you can replace them later so youdont f up your game[/QUOTE]

Daniel do you know how to change the strings
in the names.txt and so on in the
Loc\eng: directory?
LK

Daniel
10-21-2002, 02:29
I can change anything in the startpos file and have created a wholene map with differently assigned provines and even created a swiss minor faction but i cant seem to make them major. well sorta but they already have the required spaces above and I'v tried to duplicate these for other rebels but it doesnt work..Kings though..I have trouble.