PDA

View Full Version : Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages.

NagatsukaShumi
08-25-2002, 23:13
Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages

Work has just begun on Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages, and what a MOD this will be. Recently I aquired the help of Lord Krazy to help me make new units, or rather edit the current ones. This is great news for all that will be playing this MOD as you won't simply get the units with different names and stats, you'll get new units to play with and they will be balanced out so that we don't get a re-incarnation of the honour 9 Yari Ashigaru. When playing this MOD I'm sure that you will love Medieval even more than before with all new challenges and teams. This MOD will be the biggest project I've ever undertaken, and I'm very glad to have the following people helping me out :-

Damien Reddy (Lord Krazy)
Micheal (Galestrum)
Lord Black Adder

I am very honoured to have both a Roman histrory expert and a unit graphics editor here to help me out, and with them I'm sure that the MOD can become a very good MOD and a very enjoyable game for both you the Total War fans to play and maybe even the guys who made it possible, Creative Assemblies. Now enough of who I've got helping me out as they should know how grateful I am, lets talk about what you guys have to look forward to, plus some Q&A!

Features
-Everything changed, nothing remains the same at all barely.
-New music.
-Historically accurate and fun to play, what more can you ask for!?
-New Glorious Achievements for you to fulfill, can you save Rome from been crushed by the Huns or Reunite the Empire as one entity?
-New maps, all new maps! The enviroment that the Romans and other people would have encountered are there so you don't get maps that are unrealistic to their time period.
-New textures for maps, you may even fight on the streets of Rome in certain battles (Not in SP Campaign)
-Historical Battles and Campaigns relevent to the Romans and the Dark Ages, they will get regular enough updates.
-Updates confirmed! If something doesn't work, it'll be patched and made to work, even the units when balanced to a nice degree will be made even more balanced till they are perfect. So lets just say, once it's released I won't leave it to rot, I'll make it even better with updates.
-I will make a back-up file available for when you want to go back to the normal MTW, although I don't know whether these will include files that have been patched.

Well there's the CONFIRMED features, but I still have no testers, it'd be great if guys like TosaInu etc would offer to be a tester, but anyone can be, just contact me at samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk .

Q&A

1)Units, will they remain the same or be changed?

They shall be changed, the graphics, the name, the strengths and weaknesses, everything I can do really. So you won't be seeing Mongol Heavy Cavalrymen, instead you'll get something like Visigothian Heavy Cavalrymen. Plus they'll be balanced so the Roman Soldiers won't absolutely crush the Huns Cavalry charge for example, things like that basically so that no unit is superior over others unless of coarse it's a relationship like Spearmen and Cavalry for example.

2)What era is it set in?

It will be set in four different era's-The Collapse, Reconquest of the West, The Rise of Islam and The Age of Vikings. Now these campaigns will NOT all be in the first MOD, just the Collapse will be in the first MOD and there is a good reason for this. Basically in these four campaigns there are different factions as some factions power was no longer adequate to really be playable in this time i.e. Huns weren't powerful enough to be a playable faction in the Rise of Islam, hopefully that makes sense. Now basically the MOD will be released in four era packs, so they will all have new units and factions and of coarse challenges. So the first will be the Collapse pack where you can play as people like the Eastern or Western Empire or the Huns, Visigoths etc.

3)Will the heroes be changed?

Oh yes as the Churchill Dog would say. So now as the Huns you'll get guys like Attilla the Hun, not say William Wallace or Robin of Locksley. Basically I'll put as many heroes I can into the game, though some may not really be classed as heroes and may just be added to fill up the list, this is of coarse unless I can delete heroes.

4)Eastern and Western Empires? What are they?

Well I don't know much about them historically but basically from where the MOD starts the Roman Empire was split in two, one in the Rome area and the other in the Constantinople area. In the first MOD, The Collapse, you will be able to play as both Empires. This campaign will be very diplomacy based and trade and peace between the empires will be very helpful when trying to execute the the problem of the Huns and the Visigoths.

5)So each pack only has one campaign?

Nope, they will all have three starting at different points in the time period each pack represents, so you won't just get one because I feel that would be pretty boring and make the MOD very repetitve very quickly.

6)How much will this be tested?

Quite alot actually, I'm not going to release an un-tested campaign into the community, l if I did there would be alot of complaints of different problems arising and I don't want that.

7)So once each oen is done is that it?

Oh no thats not it at all, I'll release add on's to each pack like different battles, new unit stats and so one, so once it's released it final breath it won't be over by any means, other stuff will be released for it.

8)After it's finished what are you going to do?

Rest. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif. Seriously I will rest for a majority of the time afterwards simply because it'll tire me out and I'd like to spend quality time with my Medieval game myself instead of having a MOD to do along with playing it. Plus I'll eb around for a while to help you out with stuff then I'll just rest and occassionally check out what you guys are doing with it.

9)When's it going to be done?

It'll be done when it's done, that all I am going to say about that, but don't worry I'll inform you and I'll post lots of piccies for the little uns' http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif.

10)If I find a problem will you remedy it?

Simple answer, yes I will cure and problems in the MOD.

11)Any big names helping out?

Erm, if they want to help test I'd be honoured to let them, or if they can help in any other way (Map making etc) I'll be honoured to have them on the team.

12)Any website?

Well..... nope not at the moment, if the org would like to give me webspace then I'd gladly accept and make a site. If they would then they can mail me or reply to this message, or I will e-mail them with the idea.

13)Guide?

Erm, there will be a guide produced and out for the MOD yes, it'd be great if guys like DD would offer to help out, but if not then I suppose I could compile it myself.

14)Missing Links?

Missing Links will be made too during the progress so don't worry about that.

Anyway, thats enough from me, reply with any questions you'd like and expect a few screenshots when I get the game.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

[This message has been edited by NagatsukaShumi (edited 08-27-2002).]

NARF
08-25-2002, 23:27
oh man.......you rule

------------------
What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

BigHairyDeal
08-25-2002, 23:29
please
think of the kittens....

barocca
08-25-2002, 23:32
this belongs in the modding section,

there is an awful lot of work to accomplish this,
and you've not seen the full release yet,
good luck with it all, it would be great to see some of these ideas become reality
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Clan Doragons Medieval Website
Mods, Unit Descriptions and more
DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon (http://doragon.barocca.web1000.com/)

NagatsukaShumi
08-25-2002, 23:37
They should be, and the only things I've confirmed is things I know can be done from responses from Ca themselves and looking at files etc. So all should be easy enough to do.

Lord Krazy
08-26-2002, 06:48
I think we should be banished to
the modding section too.lol

LK

NagatsukaShumi
08-26-2002, 07:02
Banish us! Gah!

Shiro
08-26-2002, 07:27
Banished. Check this out there.

------------------
"Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
-Solypsist
------------------
"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"
-Order of the Garter Motto

Lord Krazy
08-26-2002, 07:57
Quote Originally posted by Shiro:
Banished. Check this out there.

[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------
Shiro agrees with me.
so that means everything I say is right too.

ha.
Lord Krazy
ps I have a new quote check this out. lol
barroca you have mail

NagatsukaShumi
08-26-2002, 07:57
The periods are now

Foundation of the Empire (Build it up from scratch basically)
Controlling the Empire (Expand and maintain your Empire as Romans.)
Collapse of the Empire (Now bot the West and East are playable, try to make sure Rome doesn't crumble like it did in real life.)

AvramL
08-27-2002, 15:19
Cool, so I'll get to ambush the Romans in the Teutoburg Wald?

Lord Krazy
08-27-2002, 21:54
Quote Originally posted by AvramL:
Cool, so I'll get to ambush the Romans in the Teutoburg Wald?[/QUOTE]

I don,t know if I could advocate such action
as it sounds very painfull lol.

Lord Krazy.

NagatsukaShumi
08-28-2002, 00:13
Sorry Avram I have no idea what that meant as I haven't begun the reasearch yet http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sjakihata
08-28-2002, 00:36
The romans got their ass kicked in some BIG german forrest, a simple translation http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
*bows* - Power to the Sultan!

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-28-2002, 00:57
Quote Originally posted by Sjakihata Akechi:
The romans got their ass kicked in some BIG german forrest, a simple translation http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

[/QUOTE]

I know who, where and when ,you are talking
about and you will have the oppertunity,
as to weather you will be able ,I am not
qualified to answer that ,sorry.

Lord Krazy. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sjakihata
08-28-2002, 01:09
Lord Krazy.. sorry mate the post was for Nagatsuka-sama.

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-28-2002, 01:23
Lord Krazy.. sorry mate the post was for Nagatsuka-sama.

[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------
Yes but I'm makeing the battels so you
should be asking all of us if you want
answers,so sorry for butting in ,I was just
trying to help.

Lord Krazy. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

Lord Krazy
08-28-2002, 02:09
Hi everyone,

I would like to welcome, Lord Black Adder to the team.
He will be working on the animations.
We have made some progress in this respect so far,thank's to him well and me a little,
Yet like Rome this project will
not be finished in a day.

P.S. if you want to help, don't be shy.

Lord Krazy.

NagatsukaShumi
08-28-2002, 02:20
But unlike Roma it won't take several years http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif.

Sjakihata
08-28-2002, 03:25
Rome was founded in one day http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

I will gladly help...

------------------

Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
08-28-2002, 04:31
Well, people know where to find me when they want to help or test.

AvramL
08-28-2002, 05:03
The year: A.D. 9

The location: Teutoburg Wald (forest) in NW Germany.

The players: Publius Varus, governor of Germany across the Rhine. Arminius (Hermann) chieftain of the Cherusci.

Background: As part of the Roman ideal of defence through foreign pacification, the latter half of the emperor Augustus' reign saw Roman legions advance into Germania. The land west of the Rhine came directly under Roman rule while the rest of western Germania was given a governor and pacified by alliances with Rome. Or so the Romans thought. In reality, dissent towards the Imperial attitudes of their Roman overlords was bringing the western Germanic tribes close to open rebellion.

The Battle: So it was that in winter of the year 9 A.D. Varus and three veteran Legions Totalling 15 000 men, not including camp followers and auxillaries, marched from their summer camp at Minden to their winter one further west. Acting as guides through the rugged German wilderness and narrow winding roadways were a number of German allies, notably the chieftain Arminius (who had campaigned with the Romans in the Balkans and was by all accounts well educated). The Roman column soon became very stretched as the legionaries made their way through the snaking forest road in the drizzling rain, which sogged their equipement and made their going even more slower. At some point Arminius and his men disappeared, the trusting Varus reacted slowly to this developement and suddenly, without defensive measures having been taken, tribesmen appeared on either side all along the strung out Roman procession. For Arminius had secretly made public to the Germans the route being taken by Varus' army and helped recruit a large army with the task of ambush. With no room to fall into battle formations the Romans were vulnerable to the furious German assaults and soon the situation was hopeless. Varus was quickly cut off from much of his army and in a panic he ordered the legionaries to rally and throw up defensive breastworks. Thus, the only chance for escape was gone. The Romans with their sodden shields and bowstrings were slaughtered almost to a man, Varus himself committed suicide and all three imperial eagles fell into German hands. Only a handfull of cavalry managed to hack their way through to safety.

The aftermath to the battle was far more important than the loss of three of Rome's best legions. Five years later Germanicus and his army defeated the German rebellion and laid waste to their land in revenge, at the same time Arminius was murdered by a rival as he tried to unite the German tribes. When marching through the Teutoburg Wald it is said that Germanicus and his forces discovered the remains of Varus' army. The sight, apparently, was enough to turn a veteran warrior's stomach. The corpes of the slain Romans were left where they fell and many of the remains were fastened to trees both in Homage to the Germanic forest gods (this is why we hang ornaments on a Christmas tree! it's a leftover pagan ritual) and to send a message to the Romans. The message was not lost. Never again were Roman armies to march across the Rhine in conquest. It was written that for the remaining years of his life, the emperor Augustus would sometimes pace the halls of his palace and desperately wail "Publius Varus, give me back my legions!".

Lord Krazy
08-28-2002, 12:41
some info on romans.

LK
http://www.legionxxiv.org/Default.htm

NagatsukaShumi
08-28-2002, 20:25
Thank You.

Sjakihata
08-28-2002, 21:00
Hey, I think my post post was deleted. Some dude asked about elephants, and I answered.

or is it just me who is confused ?

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-28-2002, 21:25
Hey, I think my post post was deleted. Some dude asked about elephants, and I answered.

or is it just me who is confused ?

[/QUOTE]

Is this addressed to anyboby in particular.
Just tought I'd check first.
Don't want to get into trouble.

LK
Better to make a good run than a bad stand.

NagatsukaShumi
08-28-2002, 21:33
It was in another forum Akechi.

AvramL
08-29-2002, 11:42
Is the Roman infantry going to posess the ability to throw javelins and close with gladius?

Sjakihata
08-29-2002, 21:09
Where then?

L K chill out chap http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-29-2002, 22:32
Where then?

L K chill out chap http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

[/QUOTE]
only takeing the piss http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif.

It's on the org somewhere,
not't being funny but
check ur profile and u'll find it.
I saw it last night but can't remember
where.

LK
P.S. did u see post for clontarf u asked for?

Lord Krazy
08-29-2002, 22:41
Is the Roman infantry going to posess the ability to throw javelins and close with gladius?[/QUOTE]

If not I'm not going to play it.lol

Yes I have already tested the prototype,
so far we have a unit with shield, gladius,
Javelin, helmet and banner .I only have
the demo so the real work won't start
until we get all the files we need.
I hope tomorrow this will be rectified.

Lord Krazy.
All questions are good questions.

Sjakihata
08-30-2002, 06:18
Yeah L K... sorry for not replying that I saw it http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif but I have not been on lately, something very sad happend to me lately, it is very personal.
Anyways, thanks now I understand better, I cross checked with a history book of mine, and it did confirm the major details, however the number of troops was said to be smaller.

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-30-2002, 08:15
Yeah L K... sorry for not replying that I saw it http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif but I have not been on lately, something very sad happend to me lately, it is very personal.
Anyways, thanks now I understand better, I cross checked with a history book of mine, and it did confirm the major details, however the number of troops was said to be smaller.

[/QUOTE]

As I said depends on who u believe.If you
could give me some info from danish hitory
I would be greatful,as I would like to
make a couple of danish units too.
I hope to make it playable from both sides
and even make some campaigns for english danes irish and scots for this era.
If u do wish to help please post to one of
threads or mail me .
thank you

Lord Krazy
cheer up http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sjakihata
08-30-2002, 16:05
L K, I would be glad to help you, but the time is not right, in the moment. Maybe in a few weeks or so.. ok ?

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
08-30-2002, 21:54
L K, I would be glad to help you, but the time is not right, in the moment. Maybe in a few weeks or so.. ok ?

[/QUOTE]

I'm in no hurry got things to do too
Thank's M8

Lord Krazy

Sjakihata
08-30-2002, 22:21
Just mail some assignments

Email: martinlarsen38@hotmail.com

------------------

Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
08-30-2002, 23:59
Any question about units should be asked to Lord Krazy, I'm doing the campaign mostly so I don't know what his plans are right now. I won't be on for three days atleast now as I will be playing my MTW copy and resting.

Stefan the Berserker
08-31-2002, 05:55
I'm acctually an expert on Dark Age... Do you mind if I send you some material if you give me a week?

Lord Krazy
08-31-2002, 06:02
Quote Originally posted by Stefan the Berserker:
I'm acctually an expert on Dark Age... Do you mind if I send you some material if you give me a week?[/QUOTE]

Yes ,thank you .
I will be away on holiday in one week
but I will have access to my mail.
So that would be great.

LK
rodaigh@yahoo.co.uk

Lord Krazy
08-31-2002, 06:05
Have game will mod.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
08-31-2002, 07:02
Ok, small announcement, work on the MOD will begin on September 3rd the day where I get ym school timetable and I don't have the chance to play the game all day. Plus, if I play it too much when schools back I fear that I won't get any sleep http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

AvramL
08-31-2002, 07:55
I think we can all agree that playing MTW is far more important than school, at least it is for me http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

NagatsukaShumi
08-31-2002, 19:06
MTW is, but if I don't do my homework I'll get a detention and have even less time for MTW http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

AvramL
09-01-2002, 06:55
AAhhhh... you're in a bit of a quandray then. We don't recieve detentions at my school (high school) so I rarely feel obliged to do homework unless it's for marks.

Warriorofmight
09-01-2002, 16:50
hi i`m intersted in this age, too.
i could help you with the history of the roman empire and with the troops of this time.

NagatsukaShumi
09-01-2002, 17:06
Well, my e-mail's in the post somewhere, drop me a line.

And I go to shitty secondary school, my last year this year though, WHOOOOOOO!

Warriorofmight
09-01-2002, 20:18
I'll sent you a email

an question why dont you gys have a website

NagatsukaShumi
09-01-2002, 21:21
Well, I'll make a webby when there's something to make one for, probably when the first screenshots are released.

Lord Krazy
09-01-2002, 22:59
Quote Originally posted by Warriorofmight:
I'll sent you a email

a question why dont you gys have a website?[/QUOTE]

I have just can't remember what I called
though.lol

but nag is right I wont go cutting down
virtual rainforest to make virtual pages
with virtualy nothing on them.

But if u want to make me one I wont report
you.lol

good question though.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-01-2002, 23:23
Ok well, I could make a website now, but I'd need to know whether people would actually visit it or not.

Warriorofmight
09-01-2002, 23:51
if there is one i would vistit all day!
i could made one but this will take 2 month or longer

NagatsukaShumi
09-02-2002, 01:14
Heh, two monthes!

Jesus man, it took me two days to mkake Clan Seljuk's page, why would it take so long? Or are you just really good at websites?

AvramL
09-02-2002, 02:47
Yeah, if you guys need any info I could provide some, I own a large number of books on the roman military machine and it's enemies. So just post and state the kind of stuff you need.

Lord Krazy
09-02-2002, 03:29
Yeah, if you guys need any info I could provide some, I own a large number of books on the roman military machine and it's enemies. So just post and state the kind of stuff you need.[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------
Noted .Thank you.

Lord Krazy.

NagatsukaShumi
09-02-2002, 03:53
Ok, well here's a few notes I though I'd post.

1-If you have something you'd like to offer us, please e-mail me or Lord Krazy, below next to our names will be the parts we are dealing with and if you have a question please send it to the relavent person

NagatsukaShumi-Campaigns (This covers a wide variety of area's, basically EVERYTHING that is to do with campaigns will be editted by me, so unit names for example), Research, Historical Campaigns and Battles. samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk

Lord Krazy-Unit images, Battles. (Basically he'll be changing the units and so on, and he will be the one concentrating HIGHLY on the battles. rodaigh@yahoo.co.uk

Ok, now you will where to e-mail about certain things.

So far I've not started work on the campaigns or anything, simply because right now I haven't got enough information.

NagatsukaShumi
09-02-2002, 03:56
I don't know what info Lord wants right now but I need quite a bit.

12 Playable factions plus ALOT of rebel faction.
Some units and who you think they should replace.
Historical Battles and Campaigns.
Any sites you know of that offer some good resources.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi

AvramL
09-02-2002, 10:08
Ok, here goes (my email is irritating because it's full of junk mail). Right off the bat I'd like to say that getting your hands on some osprey books dealing with the Roman period would be great (however, this would probably entail you actually buying them, go to www.ospreypublishing.com). (http://www.ospreypublishing.com).) I can scan some images and copy some text but I can't really give you the entirety of the books.

websites: http://www.roman-empire.net/ http://webpages.charter.net/brueggeman/ http://www.redrampant.com/ (great site with info on other cultures from the same period, ex. the gauls) http://myron.sjsu.edu/romeweb/ENEMIES/ENEMIES.HTM

Factions AND THE MTW FACTIONS THEY WILL REPLACE:
Britons or Celts (English)
Gauls or Celts, note: Gaul is a Roman name. (French)
Iberians (Spanish)
Carthaginians (Almohads)
Egyptians
Greek states (Byzantines)
Parthians (Turks)
Germans or Germanics
if possible include Scandinavia under the Germans, if not, make them Teutonics.
Slavs (Polish and other eastern provinces)
Finno-Ugrians (Russians)
Steppe people (Mongols)
Thracians or Dacians (Hungary)
Italian states
Rome (Papacy?)

Note: these factions are largely based upon the Roman emergence period.

Right, that stuff was kind of off the top of my head, I'd suggest posting back with some more specific informational needs as those sites should give you quite a lot to work with.

[This message has been edited by AvramL (edited 09-02-2002).]

Lord Krazy
09-02-2002, 10:42
I didn't know the English were celts
I tought they were Anglo Saxon /Norman
hence the name English.The Welsh were the
original british celts not forgeting the
Cornish.Good example is the Irish words
for these people,An Britonbeag, for Welsh
which translates to little Britons.
AN Sassnigh which translates to saxon
means English.Seen as the Irish language
unlike English ,has been around as long as
latin it can be very useful for this sort
ditinction between races and cultures
from this period.
I hope to try and reflect
this somewhat to give a real flavour of
the time.I am not trying to correct anyone
just let u know what I,m looking for.
So if gauls are gauls and celts are celts
and try not connect them to present day
nations and states we could have a more
unique dimention to the game.

All this is up for disscusion
of course, I am not a tyrent I'm not even
a centurian.So please let me know what
you think.Thank's

Lord Krazy

AvramL
09-02-2002, 12:23
I am talking about pre-anglo saxon Uk inhabitants. the Germanic peoples that would be known to history as the anglo-Saxons started colonizing Britain in (traditionally) the year 449 A.D. after the Romans left. That info was for the Roman mod.

AvramL
09-02-2002, 12:30
Forgot you wanted to do the dark ages as well. IMO you're better off sticking to the Roman period. The thing is, that the Roman period stretches to the 5th century and beyond, leaving little before MTW starts. To do the Dark ages as well would simply add a lot more work with little reward. By covering say the republican period to the fall/reconquest of the western empire will be difficult enough, after that there is not a lot to cover before Hastings.

AvramL
09-02-2002, 12:33
Also (since my post hasn't come up yet to edit) the units one would use for the dark ages (late at least) could easily be regular MTW units. Thus there isn't much to be gained by midding for that period other than creating a few historical battles.

AvramL
09-02-2002, 12:38
OK, my posts still haven't showed yet so I will just say that this conversation is getting very meandering. It seems I forgot one previous post stating that you are now only doing the Roman period. Sorry for that complete misunderstanding.

NagatsukaShumi
09-02-2002, 19:17
Well the three packs will chart the path to the dark ages so it won't actually include the dark ages itself.

Basically the Collapse is the one with people like Attilla the Hun attacking both the Eastern and Western Empires. So it depicts the Collapse of Rome in that pack and not the actual Dark Ages itself. So you get to play as either Roman Empire, The Huns, the Visigoths and so on, and basically your task as Rome would be to make sure that Europe doesn't fall into the Dark Ages and as the others it would be to make sure that Roma falls, both Empires, and then they'd fight to become the new power in Europe.

And the Papacy.... can they elect a new leader? If so then it'd be a great help for the Collapse then we could have both the Romans been able to elect a leader instead of dying out.

AvramL
09-03-2002, 02:10
I'm not to up on the mechanics of the game. For example, I'm not sure whether or not the factions you put in the mod have to be in replacement of the originals or if one can completely overhaul that part of the game.

Flunky
09-03-2002, 02:54
I'd like to help if I can, I can make a pretty good map, and am just finishing one up right now. Lots of eye candy! And lag for that matter. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Lord Krazy
09-03-2002, 03:45
thank's arv,
thats the kind of upfront down
to earth feedback I'm looking for.I will
try to take up some of your points soon
with u and others,cheers.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-03-2002, 03:48
What do you mean Flunky? Have you changed the map!?

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi

Lord Krazy
09-03-2002, 11:19
link for guess what:
http://www.roman-empire.net/army/army.html

LK

barocca
09-03-2002, 13:48
Quote Originally posted by NagatsukaShumi:
What do you mean Flunky? Have you changed the map!?
[/QUOTE]

no, he's just editing a battle map,

NagatsukaShumi
09-03-2002, 16:18
Oh I see. Pray for me children, the day of return to school is upon me.

AvramL
09-04-2002, 03:41
I started school again today http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif though it consisted of just a lengthy assembly etc. Apparrently the women's dress code has been modified, gone are the days of massive cleavage and min mini skirts.......

Flunky
09-04-2002, 04:58
I MAKE maps.

What did you mean by change them?

School started for me about 2 - 3 weeks ago, and the football (American) has already started! Yay, are first game is Thursday!

So I don't have much times to make anything except on weekends. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

Lord Krazy
09-04-2002, 08:49
Quote Originally posted by Flunky:
I MAKE maps.

What did you mean by change them?

School started for me about 2 - 3 weeks ago, and the football (American) has already started! Yay, are first game is Thursday!

So I don't have much times to make anything except on weekends. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif[/QUOTE]

Can u make us a campaigne map then?
This would be useful also.
understatement.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-04-2002, 21:23
Oh, so you make maps in the Map Editor then?

When you said custom images I though campmap, but I've just remembered Tera said that textures are now in TGA.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Flunky
09-05-2002, 04:48
I don't think I said campaign maps did I?

Didn't mean to be misleading.

BUT I could try my hand at it, if someone could tell me where to locate the file, and if it is .TGA then maybe a utility to use?

Lord Krazy
09-05-2002, 05:10
Quote Originally posted by Flunky:
I don't think I said campaign maps did I?

Didn't mean to be misleading.

BUT I could try my hand at it, if someone could tell me where to locate the file, and if it is .TGA then maybe a utility to use?[/QUOTE]

That's why I asked .
It will take more than just redrawing the
lines on the map.I will give you a more
detailed idea when I know for sure.
I don't want you to waste your time working
on a map we can't use.So when we know how to
implament the structure we will tell you
exactly what we want.

But anyway battel maps will be needed also
and more helpers and more organisation
and more .........

well u get the idea ,maybe we should have
a mini Hauge gig lol.

Lord Krazy

NagatsukaShumi
09-05-2002, 20:15
Remaking the map is possible, Target says so, can't remmebr how though.

Anyways, work has begun on the MOD now so some updates should appear soon.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

paspus
09-05-2002, 22:25
I'm not aware of the medieval's battle engine, How will you manage to implement the characteristics of an ancient battle on it?

For instance, the 'push-clash' of pikes in the macedonian-cartaghinian system, the abilities of the short roman sword...

And, if i'm not wrong, the total unit limit in a battlefield is 16 units. Considering that a legion was made up of infantry, a little cavalry, support units... how will you recreate them (the legions) without sacrifying the number o them deployed on the battlefield?

And the maniples system on republican legions?

And...

Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward very much to a ancient warfare battle engine, but are you sure that the medieval's one is suit for it?

NagatsukaShumi
09-05-2002, 22:29
Lord Krazy, this is your call.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
09-06-2002, 02:44
Lord Krazy, this is your call.

[/QUOTE]

No I think it's CA's department they made
the game I'm only moddifiying it lol.

No but seriously ,this will require having
16 units at a time with the restrictions
but it will still be better than any official
Roman game war game that I know of.
The Greek phalanx was much the same as pike
less ranks thats all.The glavius a small
sword for stabbing don't see the problem.
Now if you want 80 men per Centum then
and you want 1 unit to be a Centum then
u can figure that one easy.
So u will have to make the choice between
Historical accuracy and having a good
ding dong .I would like to have both but
that would require a different engine sorry.

I shall endevour to give you the choice
as the Mtw engine will let u choose
the size of a unit upto 200 .

Also some people will not be able to play
large battles due to lag and so on.
I hope to have it out before u all have
a P6 with 10gig mem .

Hope this helps,

Lord Krazy

NagatsukaShumi
09-06-2002, 02:49
lol I didn;t understand what he meant til now, CA....... it's their department.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

paspus
09-06-2002, 03:39
Well, one thing is true, it will be the closest recreation of ancient battles ever made on a computer :-))))))

As long as it is possible (and it would be amazing!) to check the flexibility of the roman legions against the macedonian combined arms system, i'll be a happy happy man.

And I'm also specially interested in Adrianopolis and how goth cavalry crushed the poor roman infantry...

can't wait can't wait can't wait!

Talking about cavalry, will the absence of stirrups have an effect? More generally, will heavy cavalry be as strong as medieval heavy cavalry? I guess it shouldn't...

regards

Belisarius
09-06-2002, 15:20
Hi new to the forum, anyhow....

You do realize that there is a differance in appearance between the late republic/early empire and the late empire legionaires? (Not to mention the early and mid republic)

As for stirrups IIRC the huns and goths had stirrups which is why they could ride down the legionaires at Adrianopol...... there are even historians that believe that the Gaul and Germanic mercenairies that fought under Caeser (not A Caesar, but THE Caesar) during his Gaullic war had primitive stirrups.

------------------
"The forces of evil will appluad me
as I stride through the gates of hell,
carrying your head on a pike"
-Murray

Lord Krazy
09-06-2002, 15:43
Good news Eat Cold Steel said that we can
add more units so with a lot more animation
of course we can have more unique units
I could not get it to work before but he
said if I put cammap bif in it will
work.got to check it out my girl friend
thinks we are going to Spain to night
but we might have to stay one more night
in dull grey london but hell I need to
know .She will understand she comes from
good stock it's all part of an aliance
I made with France lol.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-06-2002, 21:51
I do know that the Legions would be different and that will not be a problem as it will come in three packs which means the units will be different for each as they are from different times ( Basically charting Rome's path to collapse and the Dark Ages right from the founding.)

Some good news though now, work has begun on the campaign side of things, don't know what Lord Krazy has got done so far, but currently I have completed the Battle.txt file and will be starting events today.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-07-2002, 16:39
There should be some screenies coming soon.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-07-2002, 22:00
Also, positions for testers is now open.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

mp84
09-08-2002, 00:44
Hey,

I'd love to be a tester for your mod, mp84@dream-league-baseball.net drop a line please if I can be one..

thanks...

Mike

NagatsukaShumi
09-08-2002, 00:48
Well, the idea is you e-mail me dude.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

mp84
09-08-2002, 02:06
Well, the idea is you e-mail me dude.

[/QUOTE]

Hey...

Well, the problem is I can't find your e-mail address anywhere, looked in the members profile and you don't have an e-mail address listed, and also checked your the homepage you have on the profile, no e-mail listed there either...

Which is why I gave you mine http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif...

hope to hear from you soon , thanks ...

Mike

NagatsukaShumi
09-08-2002, 02:28
It's in the original post right at the start of this one

samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Warriorofmight
09-08-2002, 15:06
i want to become a tester to!!

Frantz
09-08-2002, 17:23
I will be glad to help in making a Roman mod , ive already made on for STW ( the genpei one ) and many others for various games , and as an italian im quite deep in Roman history , if interested contact me at
icq 6091136 ( no serious mod is possible without icq )

NagatsukaShumi
09-08-2002, 17:47
Well e-mailing me is the way to get on the team, then we'll talk on ICQ.

And I'm honoured that you want to help Frantz.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-08-2002, 22:18
I have some diffrent knowledge about the "Varus Battle" than Lord Krazy.

The Romans thought they rule the Germans, and of course the Germans thought diffrently.
Varus was a cruel Gouvanor in the Provinces Germania Inferior and Superior as well in Raetia. When things were Getting worse and Varus claimed tribute from the indipendent Germans as well, they tone of diplomacy was getting harder. Arminus, the lord of the Cherusks who studied Army tactics in Rome, told Varus that a tribe would not pay tribute and gave him their location.

This way he could see whether the Romans want to hold peace with the Germans or not: If they were moving Troops to the Location it way sure the Romans wanted to rule Germania instead of having peace. It happened this way. Varus Troops crossed through a "Canyon" near Kalkriese, were Arminius had already garrisoned his Troops.
In the "Canyon" the Trap was complete because there were Archers and Ehwazdanes (Spear chucker Cavalary) waiting at its rim, to rush down the hills and fire at the Romans.

The Result was the death of more than 15000 Romans and only 400 Germans. For the Romans who thought they were undefeatable this was a shock. The Battle leaded to the Great War between Germans and Romans, in which Romans wanted to conquer Germany. Luckyly Arminius was bit more intelligent than Vercingetorix and mostly United almost all Tribes which created an Army of more than 600.000 men (compare Romans had only 200.000). So the Romans retreated and build the Limes. After Arminus was murdered his Alliance broke off.

Maybe this war could have caused the Fall of Rome! Dark Age 300 years earlyer...

Stefan the Berserker
09-08-2002, 22:36
I'll add a full map with Fractions and Territories by Time. It seems you could have used it...

NagatsukaShumi
09-08-2002, 22:38
Thanks for the info Stephen.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
09-08-2002, 23:47
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stefan the Berserker:
[B]I have some diffrent knowledge about the "Varus Battle" than Lord Krazy.

Sorry Stephan you got me there I have not
got an idea what the hell you
are talking about if you could provide with
this information that I do not recall
giving anyone I would be greatful.
Thank you very much.

Lrod Krazy http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gif

Belisarius
09-09-2002, 03:58
I do know that the Legions would be different and that will not be a problem as it will come in three packs which means the units will be different for each as they are from different times ( Basically charting Rome's path to collapse and the Dark Ages right from the founding.)

[/QUOTE]
Ahh good, just wanted to point it out..... BTW is there any way for me to help out? I suck at programming, but I am much better at digging up historical nonsense http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

NagatsukaShumi
09-09-2002, 20:07
Any help is appreciated, especially historical help.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-09-2002, 22:21
Well, Acient Wars between Germans and Romans are very interessting! The Germans already invaded Gallia several Times before Dark Age, but had no success. Also the Romans were not succsessful in defeating the Germans either.

You can say the End of Acient and beginning of Dark Age was a kind of Cold War between Germnas and Romans. Perhaps I should include this History that led to the Dark Age in an Email, if you are interessted...

NagatsukaShumi
09-10-2002, 01:32
Mines in these posts somewhere.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

giskard
09-10-2002, 04:40
Its great to have beta testers.

It's even better to have beta testers that actually offer feedback after testing a product http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Giskard

Lord Krazy
09-10-2002, 11:32
Gis,

well they can't give it before hand
can they?that would be better but silly
he he.

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-10-2002, 20:23
I may ask DD to be a tester, I know he'd give feedback, anyways a nice big post will be up soon.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

[This message has been edited by NagatsukaShumi (edited 09-10-2002).]

NagatsukaShumi
09-12-2002, 00:41
Clans are now confirmed.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Speedy Gonzales III
09-12-2002, 19:55
sounds, great http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

NagatsukaShumi
09-12-2002, 20:41
12 Playable Factions
-England--The Goths
-France--The Franks
-Spain--The Visigoths
-HRE--The Western Empire
-Italy--The Britons
-Poland--The Saxons
-Dutch--The Burgundians
-Russia/The people of Novogorod--The Vandals
-Turks--The Huns
-Alomhads--The Avars
-Egypt--The Saracens
-Byzantines--The Ostrogoths

Important Minor Fractions
-The Papal States--The Eastern Empire
-The Mongols--Steppe People
-Hungary--The Slavs
-Sicily--Balcan Slavs
-Aragon--The Persians
-The Swiss--Berbers
-The Burgundians--Norse

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Belisarius
09-12-2002, 21:32
I´ll send you an e-mail, so I may know if there is anything I can help out with.

BTW Why don´t you have the eastern empire as an playable nation?

------------------
"The forces of evil will appluad me
as I stride through the gates of hell,
carrying your head on a pike"
-Murray

Saxo
09-12-2002, 21:39
Hi all.

This is my first post, but I have been following especially this thread for some time, and must say how impressed I am with the concept of this mod and the work everybody is putting into it. Well done!

Now, my question may have been asked and answered before, so bear with me, but I was wondering if you had a website with the updates on your modding, or if you knew when you would have a website for it?
Thanks.

NagatsukaShumi
09-12-2002, 21:50
Well, their is currently no site for the MOD, but there may be one today or tommorrow, I need to find time between playing MTW and modding it, but there will be a site for the Rome MOD I can garuntee that, most likely it'll be there when the first screenshots released.

As for the eastern empire, they will be playable, you'll see (Remember that the Papal States can be made playable, anyway the Romans had to be the HRE and Papal because they can elect new leaders where as the others can't, but they'll all be playable in atleast one campaign.)

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Sjakihata
09-14-2002, 17:15
Quote Original posted by NagatsukaShumi:

-France--The Franks[/QUOTE]

Would it not be more approiate if France was known as the Gauls?

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-16-2002, 19:47
You forget something?

Dark Age means: Huns, Avars and German Tribes invade the Roman Empire. Then they found new Empires on the Ex-roman ground!

Franks are the Tribe who ruled Gallia, independent Gauls would be historical Incorrect!

Stefan the Berserker
09-16-2002, 19:48
You forget something?

Dark Age means: Huns, Avars and German Tribes invade the Roman Empire. Then they found new Empires on the Ex-roman ground!

Franks are the Tribe who ruled Gallia, independent Gauls would be historical Incorrect!

NagatsukaShumi
09-16-2002, 20:23
I've sent it to a guy who knows quite a bit about them so we'll see what he comes up with.

And I know that it's the time the Huns and co. were invading, but it's based before the invasion so he Romans are still present, the faction probs will be sorted.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-17-2002, 00:45
Franks already invaded Gallia before Dark Age , but were retreated. So, trust me. All Fractions I'm thinking of:

-Saxons
-Franks
-Visigoths
-Ostrogoths
-Alemannen
-WRE (Western Emp.)
-ERE (Eastern ")
-Vandals
-Huns
-Avars
-Britons
-Saracens

are definatly correct!

Proconsul
09-17-2002, 01:08
I don't know how far you want to go back in history, but surely, the Carthagians would have to be in the earlier periods? They were the greatest foe the Republic defeated, after all!

Also: Saracens? Why Saracens? They're muslim, and they didn't appear till there were only the Byzantines left, so that's already in the game (en essence, Saracens = Egyptians, the name Saracen was created by the Europeans, and originally meant all the muslims, I think). Instead, make them the Parthians (or something like that, not sure what it is in English. I mean the "Regnum Parthorum"). They're the only enemy besides the Germans the Romans could NOT defeat at the peak of the Empire.

[This message has been edited by Proconsul (edited 09-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Proconsul (edited 09-16-2002).]

AvramL
09-17-2002, 03:02
Yeah those are definately late factions and mostly northern European ones at that. I suppose there so much to cover that you have to focus on something.
To Stefan the Berserker:
a good site for Germanic stuff is http://www.anglo-saxon.demon.co.uk/lyfja/ghp/germanic.html

Stefan the Berserker
09-17-2002, 19:51
DOOFY!

Dark Age = about 300 A.C. to 800 A.C.!

Cathargians are ACIENT, Regnum Parthorum is ACIENT! They're not there anymore in Dark Age, exepted as peasants in Roman Provinces! Same is about Gauls, Thracians and so on!

At the beginning of Islam, beeing Muslim was your National Identity! Saracens are representing the State the Prophet Muhammed formed in about 600 A.C.!

NOTE: Never mix up Dark Age with Acient, it only causes mistakes as like you made!

eldaran
09-17-2002, 22:48
A.C?

paspus
09-18-2002, 00:50
A.C. = After Christ = A.D. i guess

And for the ancient-dark age misunderstanding, well, it's understandable... so many of us have been waiting so many years for a real phalanx vs legion simulation, and by now it could be so close...

NagatsukaShumi
09-18-2002, 02:23
Absolutely

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Proconsul
09-18-2002, 21:44
Uh? I was SO sure I read that the whole thing sould include the beginnings of Rome ... oh well ...

BTW, a way to balance the mightiful Romans would be to let their Generals revolt have an extremly low Loyalty. I think the Legions revolted quite often...

And Persians should be included. They wer the other Superpower besides the Byzantines in early Dark Age (about this, im absolutley sure. Could be difficult to include them on the strategy map, though.)

[This message has been edited by Proconsul (edited 09-18-2002).]

NagatsukaShumi
09-18-2002, 22:04
Work is on-hold until Lord Krazy get's back, however research isn't.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

RegiaSaxon
09-19-2002, 16:47
12 Playable Factions
-England--The Goths
-France--The Franks
-Spain--The Visigoths
-HRE--The Western Empire
-Italy--The Britons
-Poland--The Saxons
-Dutch--The Burgundians
-Russia/The people of Novogorod--The Vandals
-Turks--The Huns
-Alomhads--The Avars
-Egypt--The Saracens
-Byzantines--The Ostrogoths

Important Minor Fractions
-The Papal States--The Eastern Empire
-The Mongols--Steppe People
-Hungary--The Slavs
-Sicily--Balcan Slavs
-Aragon--The Persians
-The Swiss--Berbers
-The Burgundians--Norse

[/QUOTE]

Sounds very promising this mod - good stuff. However, forgive me if I am missing something here but England (should be called Brittainia) should be Romano-British (Roman or Briton) and the Saxons should be placed in Northern Gemmany or Denmark - you'll probably get away with either unless you want to add Frisians and Angles as well. And the Britons in Italy?

I realise you could correct what I've said even further on a historical basis but I'm trying to make a compromise between historical accuracy and game mechanics.

Cheers

Divine Wind
09-19-2002, 18:15
Sounds great http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Stefan the Berserker
09-19-2002, 19:11
Nagata only changes these Fractions left into the Fractions right. Britons are NOT in Italy, it's only to get Green as Briton's Color! Saxons are anyway in Northern Germany, conquering south Britain will be a goal they have to acomplish to win (wars angainst Denmark will also appear, because Saxons and Danes are neighbors. And not very peacelike neighbors!).

Stefan the Berserker
09-19-2002, 19:27
Further, Dark Age started in 406 A.D. and Rome fell about 410 A.D. so a "mightful" Rome in Dark Age is not historical.

This very weak result was caused by several tactic mistakes of the Romans:

1. Romans knew Steel but didn't use it, Germans and Huns did
2. Rome based all its Troops at the Border, the whole inside of the Empire was not defended
3. Romans only hired foreigners to become Cavalarists, so they only had a few hundrets of the most mightful Troop Types
4. Romans made Christianity too important, the Pope even made poltics against the Priceps (No Gladiator Games, no conscription...)

Then the Armys of Germans, Huns, Avars and Britons chucked together would be more than 1.000.000 men, Romans only had 150.000 to defend!

If you play as WRE in a historical Dark Age Champain, I can only tell you to follow this radical tactic:
Retreat from all foreign Provinces, sell all Buildings there (Money), hold all your Troops in Italy, build hordes of new Troops, arrange Marriage of your Pricess with Attila, use Murder and Spies to cause War between the other Fractions. Then you've got a realistic chance to defeat them all!

NagatsukaShumi
09-19-2002, 20:19
I have absolutely no intention of making Rome mightful, just powerful enough to obviously have a chance of surviving until they can build up their troops and get in with in a chance, and as with the factions on MTW they'll have their own strategies to use to win.

Anyway, some screenshots should be out soon of the beta campaign.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-19-2002, 20:22
Oh and the reason th HRE and Papal are the Romans is because of their ability to elect a new leader.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Proconsul
09-19-2002, 22:18
Why should the Dark Age start exactly at 406 AD? And: Attila began his reign in the year 441; the battle at the Catalonian Fields (the last battle of the Western Empire) was in the year 451, which would be no less than 46 turns into the game (if the mod starts in 406). The Ostrogoths merely plundered Rome in 410, but the Empire was not yet destroyed. Sort of like the Byzantines in the High Period: The Crusaders had conquered Constantinopel - but they took it back.
And I tought, the main problem was the the romans didn't have much troops at all, but did rather rely on their german "allies", who betrayed them. Could be wrong oon this though.

[This message has been edited by Proconsul (edited 09-19-2002).]

NagatsukaShumi
09-19-2002, 22:42
Whoever said it had to finish in 451? It'll start in 406 A.D. and it'll end whenever.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Proconsul
09-19-2002, 22:48
Nobody. I meant, the last (important) battle of the REAL Western Empire was in that year.

Emp. Conralius
09-21-2002, 21:23
I hav afw questions about this mod. Will there be totally new unit models? Or will say the Visigothian Heavy Cavalry look just like Lithuanian cav.? Will the Romans have access to different types of legions? Some had spears, javelins, gladius' (short swords) and bows. And, I kow that you said that the mod would be done "when it's done" but cpuld you please give us a rough estimate. I apologize if I'm baggering you.

NagatsukaShumi
09-21-2002, 21:34
I sent someone an e-mail with the same questions answered, I presume that was you but in short.

As far as I am aware LK plans to replace all unit images (Note that most units share one image)

There will be different legions.

And I can't give an accurate release date at this time.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-22-2002, 23:35
Here's some good news, LK should be back in a few days! That means the real work can be done.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-23-2002, 20:13
Be looking out tonight as a HUGE FAQ for Path to the Dark Ages will be posted.... yay!

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-24-2002, 00:48
Important fact: It beginns in 406 but should really end at least in 800, or whenever a Fraction has acieved all it's goals (or captured all Provinces on the Map, which is incredebilly difficult).

Just can't wait for LK! I've had no chance finding this dam Map, I hope he'll get one...

Let's specialise: LK makes everything he knows, I do my speciality. The Germanics!

I'm working on everything that has to do with this right know!

So far I found somthing out: Province Names can be changed on the Map through Textures/Campmap and then Map.tga-files! And I've got an Idea: Why not writing Germanic Province Names in Runes and Byzantium Provinces in Kyrill-script? Would have style! (Hun's script can also be implanted: search for -Katakana - Font - Word- by Google!)

NagatsukaShumi
09-24-2002, 00:56
LK is doing the units dude, that's whyy he was hired in the first place.

And we'll see what we can do about the map and all when he returns.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Proconsul
09-24-2002, 01:03
Wouldn't the Byzantine use Latin script and later Greek script? Greek script is closely realted to cyrillic, but the individual characters are totally different.

------------------
Confuzius says: "Do not worry that people don't know you: worry that you don't know them!"

paspus
09-24-2002, 16:25
there seems to be some expert people in dark ages in this forum :-). Couldn't you provide us with some useful links about that period? I'm interested in everything: society, religion, war and battles...

thanks

NagatsukaShumi
09-24-2002, 20:11
Yes, it's a shame I'm not that good with remembering Roman stuff, but hell I've got people helping out so I guess it don't matter too much.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Wavesword
09-24-2002, 20:25
Sounds like a Quintus Varus quote to me.

Emp. Conralius
09-25-2002, 07:26
"Quintus Varus, give m back my Legions!"

Lord Black Adder
09-25-2002, 07:45
Hi
just to let you all know I'm
back to work tomorrow.When I say work
I mean making animations for the mod,
not the bad meaning of the word.

Nag,
I told you not to give your leigons
to anyone lol

LK

NagatsukaShumi
09-25-2002, 21:14
Sorry, I couldn't resist, they offered me peanuts, peanuts damn it http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Speedy Gonzales III
09-27-2002, 21:44
so hows it progrssing?
id love to train preatorians http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

NagatsukaShumi
09-27-2002, 21:50
At my end it's going ok.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Speedy Gonzales III
09-28-2002, 00:00
are you close to releasing a beta or soemthing?

NagatsukaShumi
09-28-2002, 00:10
Nope, got to speak with LK some more to plan stuff before I even think of that.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
09-28-2002, 01:16
Quote Originally posted by Speedy Gonzales III:
so hows it progrssing?
id love to train preatorians http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif[/QUOTE]

There will be a preatorian unit for battels
mounted and dismounted.
weather or not Nag sees fit
to include them in his original Campaigne
is up to him.I'm sure he will but I'm
sure they'll cost a lot of gold pieces too

LK

Lord Krazy
09-28-2002, 01:33
Btw nice site for research
have a look at the Elephants

http://webpages.charter.net/brueggeman/table-of-contents.html

Lord Krazy

NagatsukaShumi
09-28-2002, 01:44
I don't see why there shouldn't be any Praetorians.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

NagatsukaShumi
09-28-2002, 01:48
We should porbably set up a FAQ session on the MTW server or a chat room server somewhere, or MSN or something.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Speedy Gonzales III
09-28-2002, 03:51
it sounds like a very promesing mod and if ther eis any way i could help just ask, but i dont have any prgramming experience so i prolly cant help:/ http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

AvramL
09-28-2002, 04:10
I'll say again, regarding links to good research sites, i posted a bunch in previous posts in this thread, just sift through the previous three pages and you'll find them.

Heres one from another thread, just scroll down through the various sections of links (further down there's one on the Roman army etc.) http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/background.html#romanaccounts

[This message has been edited by AvramL (edited 09-27-2002).]

NagatsukaShumi
09-28-2002, 04:17
I don't have any programming skills either Speedy, there isn't any involved in the MOD really, not at my end anyways, just editting stuff like text files and images.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Stefan the Berserker
09-28-2002, 19:41
Lord Krazy, do you have you already some germanic-Tribes Units? Are those OK for you, I sent to Sam?

After you returned, I'm asking myself if we have the same opinion on the topic or you want to remove some of my ideas (Religions, Fractions, Units...).

I should know, because that helps me if the base of the work I made is kept...

Lord Krazy
09-28-2002, 23:04
Quote Originally posted by Stefan the Berserker:
Lord Krazy, do you have you already some germanic-Tribes Units? Are those OK for you, I sent to Sam?

After you returned, I'm asking myself if we have the same opinion on the topic or you want to remove some of my ideas (Religions, Fractions, Units...).

I should know, because that helps me if the base of the work I made is kept... [/QUOTE]

send it to me too
I didn't see it yet
Thanks

LK
rodaigh@yahoo.co.uk

NagatsukaShumi
09-28-2002, 23:10
I've used practically all of your info Stephen.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

Lord Krazy
09-28-2002, 23:21
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AvramL:
I'll say again, regarding links to good research sites, i posted a bunch in previous posts in this thread, just sift through the previous three pages and you'll find them.

Heres one from another thread, just scroll down through the various sections of links (further down there's one on the Roman army etc.) http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/background.html#romanaccounts

[This message has been edited by AvramL (edited 09-27-2002).][/QUOTE

Yes like I said btw nice site for research

You don't expect me to read them all
the same day they are posted do you

I was just pointing out this would be useful
for people like myself who want to
introduce elephants to the game.
I put the link up again because then you don't
have to go 3 pages back to find your very much appriciated links.They are all in my
favourites.
So don't be surprised if you see me doing it
again .
Thanks

LK

[This message has been edited by Lord Krazy (edited 09-28-2002).]

Speedy Gonzales III
09-29-2002, 05:39
NagatsukaShumi if there is anything i can do to help you then you can contact me on msn @ jbeerden@hotmail.com

NagatsukaShumi
09-29-2002, 06:16
Lord Krazy will probably need more help than me Speedy, you should contact him now he's back.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk

paspus
10-24-2002, 22:04
why isn't anybody posting here since some weeks ago? Maybe is a problem of my browser? Or has the thread been moved to another place?

King David
10-24-2002, 22:31
Why not wait till Devs come out with a new game based on the Romans.. This Game Engine would be fantastic for it.. Also the Greeks
Endless possibilities..

I think it would be too time consuming for us to undertake such a mod because by the time you come out with it, most of us will have lost interest as has happened with age of kings and so on..

Dex
10-25-2002, 00:23
Sounds a nice mod, If you still need any testers then let me know. I'll install another copy of the game on another partition . Then I can happily messabout with it and not harm my other copy http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dex

Lord Krazy
10-25-2002, 15:23
No posts lately because we have a lot of things to do on other projects and this
baby is going to be in the making for
some time.At the graphic end we would
like to get more work done on certain aspects
that maybe affectd by the patch and I know
this won't be the only patch but we will have a better idea how it's going to develop
afterwards.So don't worry it's not gone away.
We may post a unit in a week or two
to testers but we have much work to do

King David,
I am still wondering if
your question deserves an answere
and what that answere would be http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Maybe for the same reason I'm not
waiting for them to fill in all
empty unit slots, but I find it
hard to explain my instincts
so I'll leave it that.

LK http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif