PDA

View Full Version : BI vs MTW

edyzmedieval
10-26-2005, 19:03
Which game do you choose as being the best?!

I was impressed by BI. The graphics are excellent, but there are some skins which need much more attention(especially for the Sassanids).
The AI has been improved, which is good. Now, I hardly win(on VH).

There are indeed bugs, but not so annoying as in RTW. But, we modders have some difficulties, which at modding I'd give it a 8.5

Which do you choose?!

Dutch_guy
10-26-2005, 21:46
I can't really make a choice, as much as I like BI, I still play MTW VI - and like is as much as I did when I first started playing it.

I tend to have periods where I play , say BI and then periods when I play VI,
and I enjoy playing them equally.

They both have their pros and cons, still..I like both for what they are.:bow:

As for the poll. I voted that I didn't know, .

:balloon2:

Craterus
10-26-2005, 22:33
I don't have a working version of either..

dismal
10-26-2005, 22:38
I'm going with BI.

I think some of the campaign map features were better (less sophisticated, but better game play) in MTW, but RTW wins on the balance, and BI is an improvement over vanilla.

The dream for me is RTW's slickness with an AI that make it necessary to scramble for every possible strategic advantage (night battles, ambushes, forts, choosing terrain, weather, etc. all these potentially cool features play little role in my games)

When it comes down to it, 2/3 of my battles are against rebels and most of the rest are sieges.

I remember feeling great trepidation when launching an attack in MTW. The enemy was guaranteed the defensive advantage, usually had decent stacks if not multiple stacks in its border cities, and a defeat might leave a gaping hole in your defense.

In RTW, I honestly never fear sending a stack into enemy territory. They're unlikely to meet an AI stack of the same quality, and if they do, they will be on defense.

Kekvit Irae
10-26-2005, 23:18
RTW spoiled me. I may never go back to the board game style of MTW again ~:mecry:

Red Harvest
10-27-2005, 01:50
I don't have BI. But playing through RTW 1.3, I remember why I quite playing RTW: the battles just don't feel right. Some things have been fixed, but there are some parts that just aren't working.

Mouzafphaerre
10-27-2005, 02:05
Let me put it this way; the new engine has plenty of potential. It's definitely progress and renders the previous one history. But this same engine should have a new life with a fully realized game, not as -seemingly- rushed out as RTW.

The next TW should make us forget MTW altogether. This one just can't.

lars573
10-27-2005, 03:50
BI all the way. The vastly improved battles almost made me cry when i first played them. After the horrible horrible horrible MTW/STW battles I though I'd never be able to do a field battle in a TW game ever.

SigniferOne
10-27-2005, 03:57
In regards to some people saying about BI AI, you should check out GameSpot's review of the expansion. They actually rated it down (had it as one of the cons) because they said it was too hard.

Duke John
10-27-2005, 05:59
No TW for me anymore, I create my own game engine! ~;p

Ciaran
10-27-2005, 09:41
After an intensive campaign in MTW I have to say the MTW battles rule supreme. RTW has the better looks and some advantages in the handling (the left-select/right-move system and the working skirmish function) but still...
I also happen to like the MTW sieges better, mainly because they´re not screwed up by the Artificial Idiocy aka pathfinding. Though I do miss the siege equipment like rams etc.

PseRamesses
10-27-2005, 09:52
BI, however I still miss feats from both STW/MI and MTW/VI. But, as kekvitirae stated I´ll prolly never go back to any kind of board game. RTW/BI´s uber strat-map, the skins and other graphics tilts my vote. BI´s seemingly better strat- and battlefield AI makes me vote BI.

Strat-map:
IMHO one of the most annoying things in RTW/BI is that I can´t see all the land I control and to do it I have to build watchtowers all over, quite unrealistic. It´s annoying that I can´t raise WT´s in my own land. Movement rates are another big issue and build´n´recruiting times. Pathfinding is a mess.

Faction feeling:
I also feel that when you play the Romans (any) you feel that you are Roman but any other faction doesn´t give you that feeling. I´ll like to see more cultural "feel" of each faction. I like to se CA putting equal amount of work into EACH faction of the game.

Strt-map AI:
One of the major flaws is the constant strat-map AI re-evaluations that goes on. The AI never stick with a target/ goal and the result is that they run around aimlessly.

Btt-map AI:
I dream of the day an AI-army will hold formations, stick with a good defensive position and actually counter my moves. Ex. The spread out default formation in two lines works to the AI´s disadvantage every time. The AI can easily be pushed off a hill by simply outflanking. The AI will run a HA to the edge of the map trying to outflank you and it gets stuck there since it simply don´t "understand" that it can´t go any further. Javs/ missiles charges your inf before that have depleted their missiles. Phalanxes, in formation, keep chasing cavs and HA´s etc etc.

Personally I like realism and micromanagement and I´m a "builder not a fighter". TW4 better contain more realism, more optional micromanagement, and defenitely a smarter AI in all levels and aspects. If it will it could be the gratest game of all times.
TW is IMO the best game there is - period! Civilization once was that but have moved in a unrealistic direction. The Caesar/ Hellas/ Pharaoh series was also a very good game but just focused on building. EUII had the best diplo-system ever built into a game - period. A combo of theese games would eventually prove to be the ultimate game. The devs has to keep in mind though that all feat must be optional for the player. A "dominaor" just want to fight, a "builder" want to focus on that and micromanage his empire etc etc.

Rodion Romanovich
10-27-2005, 18:39
RTW-BI still has some flaws, but it's better than RTW, especially since combat is more MTW-VI style oriented, as well as a better campaign map than MTW (although AI didn't handle it well before BI, and still isn't as good at it as it should be, at least on vh), and the creative horde feature is a huge plus. It could have been an MTW-VI with 3D graphics and some MTW features adapted to the BI period, an almost perfect TW game, but the bugs, the still slightly lacking AI and the IMO too small and not complex enough battlefields makes it a tough choice. But then again MTW also had some AI weaknesses (standing still during arrow bombardment etc.), so it's possible that BI has even passed the quality of MTW. But I've still played BI too little to be sure. In any case I'd say MTW-VI and BI are the contestants to the best TW game award IMO (I should add that I've never played shogun).

TinCow
10-27-2005, 18:43
I have to go with BI. While I would say the MTW battle AI was better overall, there are SO many features in RTW and BI that enhance the gameplay. The MTW strat map existed merely as a method for arranging the battles. Just the extra dimension of gameplay that results from the beautiful RTW strat map is more than enough to put it over the top of MTW.

I'm now very eager to see what the next TW installment brings. Hopefully the best of both.

hellenes
10-27-2005, 18:45
Ive voted BI for the following reasons:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35657

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34902

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34053

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33565

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33076

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32579

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32034

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36292&page=1&pp=20

MTW2 MOD For BI!!!!

:charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge:

Hellenes

dismal
10-27-2005, 19:22
The MTW strat map existed merely as a method for arranging the battles.

What does the RTW map exist for?

Other than the early part of the game, its primary function is to tell me which city is closest so I know where my next siege is going to be.

SpencerH
10-27-2005, 21:39
Mtw.

10-28-2005, 00:28
I do not choose one over the other. I have enjoyed all the TW games. I remember getting goose bumps the first time I played Shogun. Each title has its ups and downs, but I am currently enjoying the BI expansion.

Alexanderofmacedon
10-28-2005, 01:42
I would have to say Other-RTW because I love having the civilized nations such as Carthage, Greece, Macedon and the Roman ones. I don't know why I just don't like the barbarian factions...

I guess I could try the ERE or WRE ones though...~:handball: