PDA

View Full Version : Those peculiar pigs!

hellas1
10-29-2005, 04:31
Hey everyone,

Remember how certain people were saying that the exploding pigs weren't a "real" unit in RTW.
They shouldn't be eliminated at all from anyones' RTW game at all.

A book called "Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, and Scorpion Bombs" by author Adrienne Mayor actually mentions the pigs as being covered in pitch, set on fire and let loose against elephants.
Keep them in the game folks.

Insert foot in mouth! lol

Hellas1 ~D

shifty157
10-29-2005, 04:59
There was never any arguement as to whether they were ever used. The fact was that the pigs were used only a handful of times and were never that effective. To say that they played a minor role in ancient warfare would be giving them way too much credit.

hellas1
10-29-2005, 15:26
O.K. man.

It's just funny to "hear" from people in this forum that they were ficticious.

I've have read it here, ya' know?

Cool. ~D

Pompei the Great
11-23-2005, 17:53
I can never get them to work at the right time. The elphant trample over them. The pigs run scared to my line and then my soldier light them on fire.

fallen851
11-26-2005, 06:21
Yeah, I think its important to remember that just because something happens, or has happened, that it need not belong in the game.

Archimedes invented steam cannons to defend Syracuse, and they were used on a very small scale just like the pigs, so they could be put in the game, but it certainly isn't necessary.

wlesmana
11-28-2005, 05:23
Except that the point of an interactive game is to shape history, not relive it, which could be done better by watching the History channel or reading a book. So pigs and dogs were used, in a small scale. But now you're the leader, not some ancient dude who thought animals were not worth it. Maybe you want to create an entire army of dogs and pigs and found that the hilarity is worth the coin. That's your choice.

Isn't that the point of playing this game?