PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Need WLE Tech Help!!!

Methos6848
10-29-2005, 11:13
Here I get all psyched to play Shoggie all day tomorrow and I've run into a major technical problem!!! I've not played STW WLE since mid-July. Yesterday, I pop in my WLE CD, in order to practice for today's games and discover that STW WLE will not open!! I've been getting the same problem the fellow who started this thread had. I pop in my WLE CD, the options screen comes up, I click on 'play STWLE' , then the logo box pops up...then nothing happens!!!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I uninstalled every game program I've had since I last played STW WLE. My System Restore points don't seem to be working. I've run Spybot and McAffee Antivirus. I don't have a firewall, nor a router, nor am I on a networked PC. As Drisos and others can attest, I've played plenty of STW WLE on this very same PC. Yet now I can't get the bloody thing to even start!!!

Shambles tried to help me out a bit earlier this morning, to no avail. I tried the Starforce uninstall utility, but it claims that Starforce is not on my system. I've always had WMV as my default media player and I even double checked that it was still defaulting every media type. I suspect that the most likely culprit is Chessmaster 9000, which I installed on Thursday and uninstalled early today. I suspect that Chessmaster 9000 features a program like Starforce, because the game's readme file indicates that it has a security measure that requires that a player use their CD six times, in order to authenticate true ownership. I uninstalled Chessmaster 9000, even made sure to check the registry...though something there (associated with CM9000) might've escaped my scrutiny. This problem is still persisting and it's driving me absolutely mad!!! Someone help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Methos6848
10-29-2005, 12:56
I figured it out....and absolutely screamed when I figured it out!!!!!! It was my frakkin Logitech Webcam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the idea to simply disconnect it, after coming across something Shambles posted somewhere about Logitec Control software causing a conflict with STW WLE!!!!! Thanks to Shambles!!!! He ended up solving the problem after all!! Mind ya, I've been wrestling with this issue since early afternoon yesterday and it's now 7:47AM the next day!!!:x

So, in nutshell and especially because I never saw a direct reference to a conflict involving Logitech Webcams, but simply Logitech related software. If anyone encounters this problem and has a Logitec Webcam, you need simply unplug it and restart your system to play STW WLE. There's no need to uninstall the Logitech Webcam itself, simply unplug and reboot; then you'll be ready to rock and roll!!:D

By the way...I really wish I had known the solution were that simple yesterday afternoon. I would've gotten plenty of practice time in for today's games and I would'nt have uninstalled three other programs...two of which I invested a good deal of time into!!!>:

On the upshot...I really did get to know my PC a bit more than I did yesterday!;)