PDA

View Full Version : Putting your RTW unit's in BI

skeletor
10-30-2005, 14:49
Putting your RTW unit's in BI

I have seen this question alot of times now, so i wrote a little tutorial, it might not be too good, but i hope it can help pople out...

First, if you haven't allready, unpak your .pak files in your rome-totalwar/data/packs folder.

Then copy the .cas files for the old romans in your rome-totalwar/data/model_unit folder, and the .tga.dds files for the same unit's in your rome-totalwar/data/model_unit/textures folder.

Place these in the same places, but in your rome-totalwar/BI/data/model_unit folder. (here you allso have the data/model_unit folder that are used by BI)

Do the same with the textures. (see were CA have placed them)

To see witch files to copy, search for the unit's in your original (not BI) /data/ - descr_model_battle.txt file

You can find the models and textures here:

type roman_legionary_cohort_ii
skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_swordsman ; throwing javelin
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_legionary_II_julii.tga texture for diffrent roman factions
texture romans_brutii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_legionary_II_brutii.tga
texture romans_scipii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_legionary_II_scipii.tga
texture romans_senate, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_legionary_II_senate.tga
texture seleucid, data/models_unit/textures/unit_greek_legionary_seleucid.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_legionary_high.cas, 15modells used, all modells must be copyed
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_legionary_med.cas, 30
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_legionary_low.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_legionary_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite seleucid, 60.0, data/sprites/seleucid_roman_legionary_cohort_ii_sprite.spr
model_sprite romans_senate, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_senate_roman_legionary_cohort_ii_sprite.spr sprites, the unit's when zoomed far out. If you use highest settings on unit's, this is not important.
model_sprite romans_scipii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_scipii_roman_legionary_cohort_ii_sprite.spr
model_sprite romans_brutii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_brutii_roman_legionary_cohort_ii_sprite.spr
model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_legionary_cohort_ii_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Now that you have copied these files to your BI/data/model_unit and model_unit/texture folders, you must change the descr_model_battle.txt in your BI folder. Find the unit, and copy the last text (witch i marked with green)

I'm not sure witch of the roman skins you want, so i marked them all. In you BI - descr_model_battle.txt file, you will find a cimilar list, but then with names like Empire_west aso. If you whant the empire west to have the julii skins, make sure to put them in the same line. Jou can allso give the Julii skins to all factions.

texture empire west, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_legionary_II_julii.tga

make sure you don't write .dds after the texture, and make sure that there are no typos. If the game can't find the texture listed in the right folder, it will ctd. And remember to back up!

Heres an example of how to get the modells and textures right in your BI/data/descr_model_battle.txt. With a layout ike this, you wil get the principes model and skin when recrouting comitatensis. You can allso change the name, but then you need to edit atleast 4 other txt files, and you should read an "add new unit" tutorial for that. (I belive there are one at the twc forum).

(In this example, empire west uses julii, east senate, rebel west brutii, and rebel east scipii.

type comitatensis
;--------------------------------------
skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_slow_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture empire_west, bi/data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_principes_julii.tga
texture empire_east, bi/data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_principes_senate.tga
texture empire_west_rebels, bi/data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_principes_brutii.tga
texture empire_east_rebels, bi/data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_principes_scipii.tga
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_high.cas, 15
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_med.cas, 30
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_low.cas, 40
model_flexi bi/data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_very_low.cas, max
model_sprite empire_west_rebels, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/empire_west_rebels_comitatensis_sprite.spr
model_sprite empire_east_rebels, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/empire_east_rebels_comitatensis_sprite.spr
model_sprite empire_west, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/empire_west_comitatensis_sprite.spr
model_sprite empire_east, 60.0, bi/data/sprites/empire_east_comitatensis_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Do only one unit at the time, so that it's easy to find any errors. If your not sure were to blace the files, just look up in the descr_model_battle.txt. As you can see, the place were the modells and textures is supposed to be is written here:

Example: bi/data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_high.cas, 15

The modelfile is named unit_roman_hastati_high.cas and should be in your rome totalwar/bi/data/models_unit Folder. If it's not, you get a ctd.

Make sure you have the "-show_err" in you commandline on your desktop shortcut. Just a little typo will couse a ctd, and without it, its hard to find the error. Allso make backup of all files and folders, incase you blunder and can't play your game.

-SKel-