PDA

View Full Version : ChivalryTW is recruiting

Lord Adherbal
11-26-2005, 11:35
I never thought I would post one of these threads, but the current situation leaves me with no choice. My interest in modding is decreasing and I nolonger want to spend the amount of time on modding that I did before.
On top of that, I've seen highly talented people join new mods while the chiv team (about 6 people, with me doing 90% of the work) hasn't seen any new teammembers since about 6 months ago, and not a single new modeller or skinner since the first day this mod was started. I can't deny this has caused me some frustration, considering the amount of time and work I spend on this mod. I always thought that people would automatically offer their services without the need of a thread like this, but the ones who did join like that disappeared a couple of days later without doing any real work.

I've decided to focus my attention on the graphical aspect of the mod, because talented modellers/3D artists are a lot harder to find then text editors. What we're looking for is:

Campaignmap Editor:
Needs to be familiar with the RTW campmap editor and have basic knowledge of photoshop. A good knowledge of all the campaignmap related TXT files is also necessary. The campaignmap is already ~60% done, but I nolonger want to spend my time on this.

Campaignmap Scripter:
We're looking for someone familiar to RTW scripting. Things like crusades and advancing through the Era's are done with scripts, and there has virtualy been no progress on this other then testing some ideas. Very good knowledge of RTW scripting required.

Others:
Obviously other talents such as 3D modellers are also welcome, but most of the models unit models are already done or in progress. However we still need a lot of battlemap buildings; especially of russian, byzantine and muslim architecture.

If this thread gives no results then I fear Chivalry won't be completed until somewere at the end of next year ~:(

Pompei the Great
11-26-2005, 18:38
I would like to help with creating unit descriptions, generals' speeches, building description, and editing the various text files. I've already created my own mod, but would be willing to help see this mod reach completion

Lord Adherbal
11-27-2005, 12:48
I could let you do unit descriptions. How well informed are you about medieval military history ?

The_Doctor
11-27-2005, 14:11
I would offer my services, but I don't have any services to offer.~:handball:

Unless I can do some on the job training.

qtv
11-29-2005, 06:48
Hi ,

I for one am really disappointed that there is no interest in helping you, but unfortunately I also have no technical skills that I could offer.

It saddens me to think there are so many ou there who would love to see this mod completed and really appreciate all the work you have already done, but so few are able and willing to help, though I of course understand that many work on other projects, don't have the time or the skill. Still, I am sorry to hear of your difficulty completing this, particulaly as I was looking forward to an SP campaign, though the chance of that seems to be falling.....

Good luck tho.

Epistolary Richard
11-30-2005, 00:02
Remember, technical skills can always be learned. As a modder of various teams myself, I appreciate it far more when I have team mates who are enthusiastic and committed to see the mod through to completion and who have the time to develop than have technically adept members who never actually produce anything.

Aside from the real hardcode areas of modelling and animations, most RTW modding areas you can progress from being a complete beginner to being an expert in just a month or so.

To do campaign maps all you need is an image programme that can handle .tga files. Myrddraal has an excellent guide to modding the map in the Campaigns & Maps subforum of the Scriptorium.

To become a scripter, the only programme you need is Notepad. Check out the beginner and intermediate guides on the Scriptorium.

Duke John
11-30-2005, 10:03
I agree with ER. There are alot of modders who started with nothing and are now capable of doing entire mods on their own. All that matters is motivation, time and a bit of logical thinking. When I read: "I want to help, but I don't have the skills." I tend to translate it to "I want to help, but I am too lazy." Those responses are not particularly encouraging as it tends to back up the idea that the modder is working overtime while the rest are relaxing on the couch with a sixpack.

So be a hero and help Adherbal with finishing Chivalry: Total War! It will be quite rewarding once you have helped creating something that will be played by hundreds of people and that will be no doubt the case with this mod.

Dol Guldur
11-30-2005, 14:25
Well said.

13 months ago I was not even sure what modding was.

Epistolary Richard
11-30-2005, 18:14
I didn't start until February personally, so under ten months for me. :beam:

edyzmedieval
11-30-2005, 18:26
Talk about me...I started in August....~D

And now I now basic coding and mapping.
Advancing to advanced scripting and stuff.... ~:)

Adherbal, may I suggest "training modders"?!
I mean, get a willing non-modder, and tell him to learn. But stay near him, and tell him what to do.

Looks like I found a potential modder. Maybe he'll be determined enough to learn.....

Lord Adherbal
11-30-2005, 18:33
the few people I've helped to learn 3D modelling disappeared a couple of weeks after. Maybe I'm cursed.

And like DJ said, anyone who's motivated can easily learn it on his own. And there are enough forums and tutorials around if they would have any problems. So I don't feel like spending time training people while I spend it working on the mod instead.

Professor420
11-30-2005, 20:59
the few people I've helped to learn 3D modelling disappeared a couple of weeks after. Maybe I'm cursed.

No, its not just you. We've lost dozens, if not multiple dozens.

Pompei the Great
11-30-2005, 22:40
I know quite a bit about the factions, in fact I've made some intros, speeches, and historical backgrounds about the Crusades. I know a lot about Western Europe and its warriors. I have also looked into the Moslem civilizations. As far as units, I could give some descriptions for knights, men-at-arms, and others as a start. I have other ideas about improving the gameplay.

Pompei the Great
12-01-2005, 00:25
P.S. I can script and sort through the files, but I need some info on what you need:
What units do you need done?
Are the units all done?
Are the buildings done?
Do the buildings need descriptions?
Can you rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time?
Have any of the factions changed since the demo?
etc...

Epistolary Richard
12-01-2005, 02:29
No, its not just you. We've lost dozens, if not multiple dozens.

I've seen various different initiatives to train modders up quicker, but they've all almost uniformly failed to meet their objectives. As Adherbal mentions, considering the amount of self-motivation that's required anyway, right at the moment I'm considering having a well-stocked modding guides section to be the most effective method of bringing people along. Mod team retention is certainly a critical component of the ultimate objective - that of mod completion; so I'm always interested to hear new ideas.

Pompei the Great
12-01-2005, 02:38
P.S. (again) How big is the time period for the late era? Does it deal with the First, Second, or Third crusades?
(Would anyone from Chivalry like to help with Crusader Total War as well?)

Lord Adherbal
12-01-2005, 14:33
the late era ends in 1453 or 1500 (undecided) so yes it easily covers all the crusades.

IceTorque
12-01-2005, 16:26
I would like to offer my assistance.
An example of my humble mod skills should be available for download from TWC's download section soon. WarMap v1.0 ~:cheers:

Dol Guldur
12-02-2005, 13:33
Hex: Rubeus Hexadecimal, Keeper of Files and Folders at The Guild. Of course you know all about The Guild.
Harry 'puter: Sorry, no.
Hex: No? Blimey Harry didn't you ever wonder how your mum and dad learned it all?
Harry: Learned what?
Hex: You're a modder Harry.
Harry: I'm a what?
Hex: A modder. And a thumpin' good one I'd wager once you've trained up a bit.
Harry: No, you've made a mistake. I mean I can't be a modder... I mean I'm Harry, just Harry.

We all started somewhere...

edyzmedieval
12-02-2005, 18:30
:laugh4:

You're a modder Harry.... ~:joker:

Oaty
12-04-2005, 10:32
I can be your campaign map editor. I just did some practicing on the vanilla map and added some new provinces, added resources and whatnot to get a handle on it.

dragases80
12-04-2005, 12:33
Dear and great Adherbal

When i read this post i felt so bad...

I can't wait for the chivalry's release!!

Anyway Adherbal... if you want i can help you. I'm the skinner\modeller of Roma Immortalis, a little (very little mod)

In the beginning i had absolutely no skills in 3d arts

Then in the first release of Roma Immortalis i learned simply to skin

In Roma Immortalis 1.2 i learned how to model the file cas

In Roma Immortalis 1.2.2 finally learned advanced moddeling skill, including complete UV mapping

ok... i'm not a professional graphic artist... but if you want i can help you...

... i love chivalry ... i really would this mod will be out tomorrow

bye :bow:

Incongruous
12-07-2005, 04:03
I would be humbled by doing a bit of writing for you guys!~:)

tutankamon
12-09-2005, 18:52
As many other I would love to see and try this mod, so if there is anything a medieval-arkeologist from denmark can do then please let me know :charge: