PDA

View Full Version : Playing with mods?

Pomerium
12-06-2005, 15:01
Out of curiosity, How many players are playing with mods?
So far I have found using SPQR makes it a different game. It may not be as realistic in terms of raising armies, but its enjoyable.

I have seen and tried others, so who is using what and is there a favorite?

Dutch_guy
12-06-2005, 15:56
RTR, though I've been playing BI vanilla, no mods for that yet.

Except for the minor self made changes.

:balloon2:

IceTorque
12-06-2005, 16:26
I found vanilla RTW to be unplayable.
So for the first time since I started playing TW games, I found myself looking to mods.
As good as the mods were that I tried they just did'nt improve enough what I disliked about vanilla.
So thanks to the excellent tutorials that are available here at the org, I was able to make my own humble mod. Which is of course my favourite.
Because for me it's all about the gameplay. :bow:

Rilder
12-06-2005, 19:39
Lets see i currently have 3 versions setup

BI
RTR
RTW-Vanilla (how is this not playable?) i keep hearing this and get all confused

IceTorque
12-06-2005, 23:30
Perhaps a better term would be un-enjoyable.

Strike For The South
12-06-2005, 23:57
just rtw and bi

Kekvit Irae
12-07-2005, 01:22
https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twsmilies/movedg.gif

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2005, 02:08
Well, here on the modding forums, I would say the majority of members play with modded versions of the game. Actually, the word 'play' is more doubtful here than modded - as some modders work very much for the purpose of creating their mod, rather than actually playing it at the end of the day.

shifty157
12-07-2005, 02:23
Well, here on the modding forums, I would say the majority of members play with modded versions of the game. Actually, the word 'play' is more doubtful here than modded - as some modders work very much for the purpose of creating their mod, rather than actually playing it at the end of the day.

Very true. I havent played a campaign of RTW in months. But i have been modding every day. Find the logic in that.

Anyway. Ive tried alot of mods. Ive found RTR and SPQR to be very enjoyable. SPQR for the difficulty on the battlemap. RTR for the difficulty on the strategy map.

professorspatula
12-07-2005, 16:34
I'm one of those people who endlessly spends their time modding the game, for their own purposes, but doesn't get around to playing much of a campaign themselves. I think the last campaign I got anywhere in was back in January/Feb. Aside from a couple of half-complete campaigns in BI since, I like to mod and mess around needlessly until I get bored and play something else, before returning to mod again and messing around further. If I hadn't done that, I'd have given up with RTW back in February/March and probably stuck with MTW or something newer and sparklier.

LestaT
12-17-2005, 07:15
I played (tried mostly) all mods , but since I play Romans mostly I found that I prefer the RTR version (plus few my own tweaks and add ons mostly) to be the most enjoyable. Now I'm 100 game years in my Roman campaign and waiting for the reform before expanding.

:-)

When I'm bored with the repeated battles and sieges , I mod my vanilla 1.5. Only the text files now , no others yet.

Lusted
12-17-2005, 13:07
I play my mod of course, and FATw, which i am a team member of. But i get less time to play campaigns than i would like due to the time i devot to modding, and to the changes i make which make some saved games of mine unplayable.

Ciaran
12-17-2005, 13:31
Since a lot mods donĀ“t (yet) have a campaign I play them rather seldom. Custom battles are fun only so often, the most interesting battles tend to occur during a campaign, when the outcome is important to the further game.

Thorn Is
12-23-2005, 16:47
I love playing with mods
have no idea how to mod myself, though im trying to teach myself - unsuccessfully. I've played them all. I love RTR, and the Darth mod, but my personal favorite is the Vlad mod, once you add Darth formations to it. Though his armies are massive and if you don't have a good computer (like me :san_sad:) it tends to make the actions in the battles a little jumpy. I think my campaign as Thrace in his mod was my favorite campaign I ever played.
Personally I tend to play a campaign in one mod, then jump to another mod. So it's like a new game everytime :san_cheesy:
Right now im playing as Macedonia in RTR. I just kicked the Greeks out of the mainland - minus one city, which I'll deal with later, and now im trying to build a fleet to become a naval powerhouse and launch a navel invasion on the coast of Turkey.

Gen_Lee
01-09-2006, 16:30
Perhaps a better term would be un-enjoyable.
So true!
In fact so true that I let the game on a shelve for more then a year after trying it for a week and keep going with the Tc's doen for Mtw.
And then I found Rtr v6 gold.:)

Pomerium
01-09-2006, 18:29
I love playing with mods
have no idea how to mod myself, though im trying to teach myself - unsuccessfully. I've played them all. I love RTR, and the Darth mod, but my personal favorite is the Vlad mod, once you add Darth formations to it. Though his armies are massive and if you don't have a good computer (like me :san_sad:) it tends to make the actions in the battles a little jumpy. I think my campaign as Thrace in his mod was my favorite campaign I ever played.
Personally I tend to play a campaign in one mod, then jump to another mod. So it's like a new game everytime :san_cheesy:
Right now im playing as Macedonia in RTR. I just kicked the Greeks out of the mainland - minus one city, which I'll deal with later, and now im trying to build a fleet to become a naval powerhouse and launch a navel invasion on the coast of Turkey.

I too am not a true modder. My orginal post on using a mod was posted elsewhere. I find that after modding the game it IS like a new game. SPQR has kept me from becoming bored with RTW. So much so I haven't thought of moving onto B.I. With the new mod I like to try all the factions just to see new units and tactics that can be employed.

As for Epistolary Richard................

kalifah of watton
03-22-2006, 21:09
Ive played the BKB and reconquista Mods on MTW and am currently playing the Mapus Mundi XGM mod for RTW.I much prefer the mods to the vanilla games because of the increased historical accuracy in starting positions and army composition.To be fair however it did take me a long time to get bored by the original games.im not a modder myself apart from the stuff you can do easily like changing the name of the east romans to byzantines which is hardly modding.
The K of W:juggle2: