PDA

View Full Version : Offices, Titles, Relics, and Weapons [BI]

cdaulepp
12-13-2005, 05:17
One quick question before I forget. Is the mod going to be for Barbarian Invasion?

I was rereading the BI manual and I came across the part where it talks about Offices, Titles, Relics, and Weapons. The manual says "all of these grant benefits to the general holding them. These items can be moved between generals in the same fashion as retainers."

What is your plan as far as Offices, Titles, Relics, and Weapons are concerend? The manual says there are a very limited number of Weapons. But that's just in the official campaign. Are you able to add an unlimited number of weapons to the game? Can you do the same thing for relics or offices or titles?

Since I don't know your plan for these things, I'll just go ahead and throw out my idea. What do you think about having ter'angreal represented by Relics and angreal/sa'angreal represented by Weapons? You don't have to make all relics ter'angreal. If you wanted to just make some of them ter'angreal you could. Some ter'angreal don't require the ability to channel to use them (many ter'angreal from the Age of Legends were designed for people who couldn't channel at all). So do you think it would be good to add some ter'angreal? You could do the same thing with Weapons. Some weapons would simply be power wrought blades like Lan has or Mat's Ashandarei. Other weapons could be angreal or sa'angreal, like Callandor.

Anyway, just a couple ideas I was kicking around today. I don't know what can and can't be coded into the game, so if it is not possible just shoot me. :san_lipsrsealed:

cdaulepp

SMZ
12-13-2005, 05:37
Those things are essentially just a new strand of Ancillaries. Ones that are granted under different conditions. So I am pretty sure that we can have as many as seems fitting.

It might be good to list away any suggestions you have. Various kinds of ter'angreal, angreal and sa'angreal are good, as well as power-wrought weapons. The titles and offices could use whatever suggestions you may have, except for the cases of faction leaders and faction heirs. Those titles will be handled by the VnV coding, because they are inherent to the persons bearing them, whereas lesser offices and titles are dispensed at the whim of the monarch. Also there is a maximum of 8 ancillaries per character, so wasting a slot on each faction leader and heir, when it can be handled just as well by VnV's would be pointless.

cdaulepp
01-06-2006, 05:57
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I will list the ideas I can think of. (I forgot about this topic for a couple of weeks). :oops:

I think ter'angreal can naturally be represented by relics and angreal/sa'angreal can be represented by Weapons. Here's a few of the ideas I have for ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal.

1. A ter'angreal that mimics the ability to travel. Gives the general 99 movement points or something similar. I think you've said not all of the factions will have channelers. Those factions with channelers, could be given a single ancillary with this special movement bonus. If I were controlling a faction with channelers and I had a ter'angreal that increased my movement points to 99 (or whatever the limit is) I would give it to my channelers because they are the toughest unit I have and then I could move them anywhere they were needed. Its the closest I think we could come to replicating "traveling" without granting everybody the ability to travel.

2. A ter'angreal that increases line of sight.

3. A ter'angreal that increases attack bonus. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find. You can make as many or as few as you want this way).

4. A ter'angreal that increases defense. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find).

5. A ter'angreal that gives more hit points to the General's unit. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find).

6. A ter'angreal that increase command rating. (the bonus varies depending on which one you find).

7. A ter'angreal that increases influence, and/or management, and/or loyalty. (the bonus varies depending on which one you find).

8. A ter'angreal that greatly increases your defense against channelers and their special magical attacks. My idea is to make a ter'angreal that represents Mat's foxhead medallion. Can we use the idea of how a testudo is immune to arrows and convert it to making whoever holds Mat's Medallion immune to channelers special attacks?

I don't know if any of those ideas can be implemented, but any combination of those extra powers would be awesome.

I'm still brainstorming angreal ideas and sa'angreal. I'll try to come up with something.

4th Dimension
01-06-2006, 21:32
The problem is much of your ter'angreal do not exist in WoT so fans like me would not like to see something we do not see in books (eg. LoS inhening ter'angreal).

Well one traits you can add. Been trough doorway. Or been in finnland, and that person could have bonus to command and influence or one of them. And as negative effect he could hate or be afraid of some faction(eg. Aes Sedai).

GreyHuntr
01-07-2006, 02:28
Well, for dramatically increased Line of Sight, you could add Kin Tovere to your retinue or something.

Andreas
01-07-2006, 17:42
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I will list the ideas I can think of. (I forgot about this topic for a couple of weeks). :oops:

I think ter'angreal can naturally be represented by relics and angreal/sa'angreal can be represented by Weapons. Here's a few of the ideas I have for ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal.

I will respond to your ideas... Please remeber that my responses might seem... harsh, but that is not intended. I will give critics, and try to be constructive but I must have the idea fo the mod, to be close by the books, in my head and that might lead to harsh responses;) Basicly, we cannot have thins because they are cool, they must fit too.

1. A ter'angreal that mimics the ability to travel. Gives the general 99 movement points or something similar. I think you've said not all of the factions will have channelers. Those factions with channelers, could be given a single ancillary with this special movement bonus. If I were controlling a faction with channelers and I had a ter'angreal that increased my movement points to 99 (or whatever the limit is) I would give it to my channelers because they are the toughest unit I have and then I could move them anywhere they were needed. Its the closest I think we could come to replicating "traveling" without granting everybody the ability to travel.

Travelling will be an Talent, and a trait not ancillary. We do this to prevent you from passing it arounf to the general you need at the momoment, and because we have not seen any ter'angreals doing this. It will be rare though. And all nations might have channling generals, but that will not be seen on the field, since that is impossible. Only Senachan, PotD, Tar Valon and the Shadow will have channeling battle units.

2. A ter'angreal that increases line of sight.

Give an example of a place where this have been pointed out in the books. We cannot add it if know no such way. Cahnnling might lead to better sight anyway...

3. A ter'angreal that increases attack bonus. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find. You can make as many or as few as you want this way).

That sounds more like an angreal. Unless you mean things like the black rod.

4. A ter'angreal that increases defense. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find).

Might be added, since we have seen it on Caddy and Nyn.

5. A ter'angreal that gives more hit points to the General's unit. (the bonus varies depending on which ter'angreal you find).

Why? Is there anything in the books that resemble this?

6. A ter'angreal that increase command rating. (the bonus varies depending on which one you find).

Sam as above.

7. A ter'angreal that increases influence, and/or management, and/or loyalty. (the bonus varies depending on which one you find).

No, that might be done by talnet and weaves you know, not ter'angreal.

8. A ter'angreal that greatly increases your defense against channelers and their special magical attacks. My idea is to make a ter'angreal that represents Mat's foxhead medallion. Can we use the idea of how a testudo is immune to arrows and convert it to making whoever holds Mat's Medallion immune to channelers special attacks?

Cannot be done.

I don't know if any of those ideas can be implemented, but any combination of those extra powers would be awesome.

I'm still brainstorming angreal ideas and sa'angreal. I'll try to come up with something.
Well, to me it feels like you have taken the effects you remember and made up ter'angreal from them. Do it the other way, recall what ter'angreals we have seen and try to convert them. Or look at the encyclopedia, IIRC there is a list of ter'angreals and the effects they have. Same with wotmanias faq. That would make it easier to write descriptions.

4th dimension(time?): We have plans for that:), same with tovere.

Werthead
01-07-2006, 20:49
A particularly good resource for this mod would be the Wheel of Time RPG and its adventure book, Prophecies of the Dragon. These contain RJ-approved new angreal, weaves, weapons and items of interest in handy lists. The WoT RPG core book contains a listing of angreal from the series and also some of its own devising. They have given angreal and sa'angreal power ratings to indicate how much the boost the strength of the channeller by.

Angreal and Sa'angreal
Amber Turtle (saidar, 2): found by Elayne in Ebou Dar, middling strength.

Golden Ring (saidar, 3): found by Graendal among Sammaeal's belongings. Slightly more powerful than the above.

White Wand (saidar, 7): the most powerful sa'angreal in the White Tower's possession, made of bone, ivory or a similar material. Used by the Amyrlin Seat in times of great need.

Callandar (saidin, 8): you already know about this one!

Choedan Kal & access keys (both, 10): and these! Recommend that the CK is not used in the game, although having the ability to wipe the entire battle map of buildings and enemy troops would be quite cool. Possibly unbalancing, though.

Ter'angreal
A'dam: you know about this one.

Amulet of Alertness: reveals to the wearer if he is being spied on or eavesdropped on. Resists all weaves that would knock him unconscious. Also boosts normal alertness and keeps sleep at bay (+ to command, increases general's battle readiness?)

Three Arches: seen in Tar Valon and Rhuidean and used to initiate Aes Sedai and Wise Ones. Probably of no use in the game.

Archways: seen in Tear and Rhuidean, leading to Finnland. May increase general's attributes at receiving answers/items from the Finns? Actually, could you have a percentage chance of the general not making it out and dying? (similar to a spy being uncovered and killed?) Not sure how you'd do this in the game though.

Balefire Rod: shoots people with balefire. 'Nuff said.

The Bell of Far Alarm: rings a warning bell that is mentally heard by everyone the channeller designates within a hundred miles or so. Hmm. Not sure how this would work in the game.

Bird Statuette: Allows the user to see through the eyes of a bird designated by the channeller as long as it stays within 20 miles or so (doesn't pass over the horizon). Boosts general's sight?

Bowl of the Winds: already known from the books. Controls the weather. This could be useful (allows the general to determine weather conditions for the battle). Is it possible to transfer weather control in the game to the player, albeit just for one general? (maybe the general can only use it once and it then vanishes, having been given to the Sea Folk as in the books?)

Cat Statuette: makes the wearer as silent and nimble as a cat. Useful for spies? Can be used by non-channellers.

Circlet of Karim Tay: shoots out bolts of green fire which blows stuff up.

Crystal Spear of Temarwhin: spear that illuminates in the dark and does double damage to Shadowspawn compared to a normal spear. Can be used by non-channellers.

Dagger of Resistance: reduces the power of weaves used against the carrier. Can be used by non-channellers.

Dreaming: can be used to enter T'A'R. May not be suitable for game use.

Ebon Scepter: allows the channeller to create elaborate and convincing illusions. Maybe make more units appear in the general's card than he really has? May only work in multiplayer (unless the AI can be 'fooled' in the same way).

Fancloth Loom: creates fancloth. Held by the White Tower and used to make the Warders' cloaks. Maybe another one turns up and a general can outfit his army with camouflaged cloaks?

Foxhead Medallion: we know this one. No weave can touch the wearer at all. Can be used by non-channellers.

Hogarn Medallion: shoots out bolts of energy that does double damage to Darkhounds (named after a wolfhound who died defending his master from a Darkhound attack during the Trolloc Wars). Only usable by channellers.

Jenasa's Golden Key: acts as a sa'angreal (power level 7) for the use of creating gateways only.

Lapis Sphere: shows the channeller random areas of the world (expose parts of the map briefly?).

Mask of Illusion: allows the channeller to disguise himself.

Medallion of Distraction: distracts any attackers by forcing their attention onto the medallion rather than its wearer (boost to defence?). Can be used by non-channellers.

Oath Rod: we know this one.

Penara's Buckle: reduces the wearer's need for food and sleep (extra movement points?). Can be used by non-channellers.

Talisman of Growing: creates new waygates. May not be suitable for the game.

Twelve Rings of Grass: aid to linking, boosting the amount of Power that the linked group can use.

Zarinda's Rod of the Waves: summons fish to the channeller (!!!). Almost certainly useless in the game.

Andreas
01-08-2006, 13:37
Well, here you have lists of ter'angreal, angreal and sa'angreals and effects. http://www.wotmania.com/faqcategory.asp?ID=34

Myrddraal
01-08-2006, 20:56
I think some artistic licence is allowed here. We can make up our own ter'angreal if they fit the style of WoT

4th Dimension
01-09-2006, 00:53
4th dimension(time?): We have plans for that:), same with tovere.

yes time, and I control it :D

Well Bowl of Winds can give you bonus to farming output in that given province because you control the weather.

cdaulepp
01-09-2006, 04:06
Cadsuane's and Nynaeve's ter'angreal that disrupt flows of the power (also Mat's) are good examples of raising defense.

When I said earlier having a ter'angreal that gave more hit points to the general I was thinking of Nynaeve's ring that makes her skin so hard that even if she was struck by a sword it might barely hurt her. Whoever wears that ring ter'angreal should definitely get more hit points because it would take a lot more hits to take him down.

power-wrought blades should be included and they should increase attack. Examples: Lan's sword, Laban's sword, Mat's Ashandarei.

cdaulepp

SMZ
01-09-2006, 05:09
Good stuff cdauleep and Werthead =] - you guys are a great help - it's a big morale boost to see all the involved fans of the series

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
01-15-2006, 02:50
I think you should have an ancillery character that grants travelling, why? In the books both Mat and Perrin use travelling and Perrin has two Asherman to take him anywhere he wants.

4th Dimension
01-16-2006, 01:27
I don't think it is possible to connect ancillary with allyinces. Because it would look stupid for example WC or Seanchan or Myrandy to get them.
How could a nation with no connection to either BT or WT get an Traveling character?

Lord Winter
01-16-2006, 05:41
You can limit anclinerys by faction

DragonR.
01-21-2006, 18:00
I don't think you should have a million ter'angreal, this is a strategy game, not a RPG, you should have no more than 20, and that is a lot, too.