PDA

View Full Version : 1829: interactive history one step beyond

Mr White
12-26-2005, 12:48
I have/am enjoying the interactive histories on this forum a lot. I only have one remark: It's actually the storyteller that has the biggest influence on the story. (nothing wrong with that but sometimes I get the feeling that the main character can't lose)
That is why I will try to set up a new interactive history where there are more roles to play. So different members can play against each other.

The place: Europe, with the focus on the Kingdom of the Netherlands

The time: 1829 and after

The situation:
https://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8309/euro18153qd.gif

Kingdom of the Netherlands founded after the Congress of Vienna as a buffer against France and its revolution BUT there are internal tensions:

- The nobility and the rich speak French while Willem I made Dutch the official language.

- The clerics in the south are catholic and fear the protestant influences from the north (Willem I is also a protestant)

- There is an economical crisis in the kingdom with social agitation as a consequence.

=> this is a potential timebomb

Possible characters: - Willem I and his court
- The Belgian nobility and rich
- France
- England
- Russia
- Prussia
- Rotschilds (Jewish bankers who allegedly financed the Belgian uprising)

Rules: - The forum will be used for the story, official messages of the characters and help by others than the players themselves who want to offer advice, historical facts, ...
- The first who askes me to play a specific character/faction will get it but it is possible to play in group as long as just one is responsible for reporting to me and the official messages on the forum.
- the player(s) will explain their strategy to me (by personal message) after each new chapter within a certain time. After I got all the strategies, I will make aa new chapter with everybodies moves.
- It is possible to make alliances between players/factions. These can be both public as secret. Before starting the negotiations you have to inform me about it. After the negotiations both players must inform me with the results.
- This is an interactive history so don't do thins that were impossible or make choices that are very unlikely.

If you have any questions or remarks just post them here and I will answer as soon as possible.

Hope you will enjoy this game.

AntiochusIII
12-26-2005, 22:30
There seems to be an explosion of Alternative/Interactive History threads lately, which is nice, since I like them.

I have/am enjoying the interactive histories on this forum a lot. I only have one remark: It's actually the storyteller that has the biggest influence on the story. (nothing wrong with that but sometimes I get the feeling that the main character can't lose)You missed a major, "pioneering" Interactive History "Antiochus III" in which the main character was killed by a mutiny on the shores of Epirus in his struggles against Rome. I, sadly, wasn't there to remedy the wrongs in time (absent from the .org for months) and only came to witness my own death after the adventure was done. :san_grin: Pretty funny how the org's resident Antiochus would miss an Antiochus III thread.

So, yes, foolish decisions can kill in these kind of threads, the largest one yet, Manstein's Woes, was very hard-fought.

The time: 1829 and after1 year before the Belgian Revolution!?

Hope you will enjoy this game.Certainly I will.

Willem ICan I be him? Others could choose him too, if they'd like, ala the Children of Dune fashion for Alia. Multiple minds in one identity.

-----------------------------------------

So, basically, the rules means this thread is for questions and posting developments, while "we" (if there are other players for one character) discuss things through PM and send you our strategies by PM, right?

Also, is this the start or will you give out "starting" narratives like the other threads? If this is the start in itself, is it possible for me to meddle the balances in the House this late? What political maneuvers must I pursue? And, if you can, please give us some details about the conditions in Belgium right now...how many social groups there are (like, French nobility, Catholic Clerics, etc) and what are their stances.

Mr White
12-26-2005, 23:41
Well Antiochus III, you are right it isaroun the time of the Belgian independence (1830)

Sure you can be Willem I ( first come, first served) and you can get help from others ( For instance Willems brother was head of the Dutch army). I will give you Willems goals although they are very obvious: subdue the unrest in the south while maintaining as much of your campaign to make your kingdom as uniform as possible (language, religion, ...).

Mr White
12-26-2005, 23:52
To make some other factions interresting:

goals for France: keep the peace as France isn't up for a new war (correct me if I'm wrong) while trying to make the south of the KotN a part of France (there was some support for this within the southern provinces)

goals for England: keep up the good relations with the former allied countries while weakening the Dutch economy.

goals for the Rotschilds: (interresting charactor) Is both very important as insignificant as the only thing this family has is money. The goal is get more money or more influence without stepping on someones toes that can harm you.

Strike For The South
12-27-2005, 00:10
- England

may I be them? this sounds intresrting

Mr White
12-27-2005, 09:42
OK a second player has entered: Strike for the south as England.

Only the Belgian nobility and rich and maybe the French (to make it interestingà and we could start.

Rodion Romanovich
12-27-2005, 11:27
This sounds interesting, but unfortunately my knowledge of this particular period is rather limited (I have a gap between 1700 and 1800 and an even bigger one between 1800 and 1900, which will take some months for me to fill in).

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how the Rotschilds will play. They're not exactly a nation with army etc., so what are their exact resources and abilities to influence, other than sending money to support different sides? How would their progress in economy and influence be measured and fought by the other factions?

Mr White
12-27-2005, 12:52
This sounds interesting, but unfortunately my knowledge of this particular period is rather limited (I have a gap between 1700 and 1800 and an even bigger one between 1800 and 1900, which will take some months for me to fill in).

It doesn't matter. You just need to have a basic grasp of the nations back then, the military, economy and the politics. To be honest, I am no authority on the matter either but I was planning on rechearching it along the way. Someone with an extencive knowledge about the period to help me would be great though.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how the Rotschilds will play. They're not exactly a nation with army etc., so what are their exact resources and abilities to influence, other than sending money to support different sides? How would their progress in economy and influence be measured and fought by the other factions?

Like I said, the Rotschilds are a rich ( beyond belief) jewish family of bankers. They made it possible to found Belgium ( and still get intrest on that loan I think). I put them in as a way to play a different way than most other characters. They will have to be more sneeky and backstabbing. Sure they don't have an army but there are solutions for that. How their influence and wealth will be measured is easy. I will know everything they have done and some things will be clear to all for example when they acquire a minister post.
In this game it isn't necessary to have clear winners or losers, it's all about perception.

Franconicus
12-27-2005, 13:55
Sounds very interesting - although I do not understand in detail how it will work. For example how wil you control the speed?

When are you going to start? I do not have enough time until 1.1.2006. But if you wait, I will take a German nation: Prussia (Bismarck :san_grin: )

Looks like Kraxis created a new genre. Now he has to control them all :san_grin:

IrishMike
12-28-2005, 08:29
Hmm..... If Russia is still open, I would love to be Russia.

Mr White
12-28-2005, 09:41
To Franconicus:
Controling the speed isn't that hard. All the players have a cetain period of time, to be determined by me and the players, to react after I posted a new chapter. I will then post a new chapter within a predetermined timeframe. If someone hasn't mailed me his strategy within time, (s)he will be supposed to hesitate and not take any action

We will only start when I feel we could have an interesting game, that is when the right characters are taken. But I'm willing to wait untill after new year (it'll probably take so long anyway).

So Prussia is taken by Franconicus.

I simply loved Kraxis' Mansteins woes.He could've guessed that something like this was in the air as at the end their were some posts about setting up a seabattle between 2 groups.

To ColdKnight:
Sure you can be Russia

To all:
I'm just waiting for someone to request 'la douce' France and the Belgian bourgeoisie (the rich). Without them the game is just half as fun.
(

Kagemusha
12-28-2005, 09:43
Sounds intresting.:rtwyes: Can i be the Austria?

Mr White
12-28-2005, 10:07
You can be Austria. But I can't say it was a large player in this, but is an interactive history so not everything has to be as it went on in reality.

I will post the goals for Austria, Prussia and Russia later today or tomorrow ( I have exams in January so I have to be careful with my time but I can cope if I stay on schedule) but it'll probably be something like keep interior stable and help allies (= stop the republican ideas from spreading to far)

By republican ideas I mean the cry for more democracy.

Mr White
12-28-2005, 11:55
So here are the contestants so far:
- Antiochus III as Willem I
- Strike for the South as England
- Franconicus as Prussia
- ColdKnight as Russia
- Kagemusha as Austria

Still looking for France and the Belgian rich ( bourgeoisie) and (but this is not necessary the Rotschilds). All others will be denied

Franconicus
12-28-2005, 14:30
I will post the goals for Austria, Prussia and Russia later today or tomorrow ( I have exams in January so I have to be careful with my time but I can cope if I stay on schedule) but it'll probably be something like keep interior stable and help allies (= stop the republican ideas from spreading to far)
:questiong:
Doesn't every nation choose its own goals? Are the goals visible for everyone or just for each player?

Mr White
12-28-2005, 15:30
they are just some vague goals, just to be a bit historical correct.

Lord Winter
12-28-2005, 21:59
I will be france,
great idea Mr. White

discovery1
12-29-2005, 06:23
I'll be the wealthy Belgians. Don't know anything about he emergence of Belgium, and am too lazy to look stuff up, but that only makes it more fun.

Mr White
12-29-2005, 10:56
I'll be the wealthy Belgians. Don't know anything about he emergence of Belgium, and am too lazy to look stuff up, but that only makes it more fun.

I want to put some background information since 1815 on the net if you like ( all from wikipedia) That will give you a feel of the situation back then.

The game can begin now (people can still join if they want: play as the Rotschilds or together with another player). I will post the prologue on the 2nd of january.

We still have to decide the timeframe in wich you have to send me your moves by personal message and of course my timeframe for posting a new chapter.

I really hope this will be fun

Franconicus
12-29-2005, 22:01
Mr White,

just another question: What about secret diplomacy? Can I contact the other monarchs directly to adjust our diplomacy?

Mr White
12-29-2005, 22:58
just another question: What about secret diplomacy? Can I contact the other monarchs directly to adjust our diplomacy?

I think I mentioned it before. You can use secret diplomacy and probably need to as this will most likly be a political one rather than a military one. To do this you can contact the other players directly. I only ask that you inform me before engaging and afterwards with the result. If you don't I will act as if the treaty doesn't exist.

AntiochusIII
12-30-2005, 00:23
Aye. So we have to inform you before cutting deals with other monarchs?

I suggest at least 24+ hours for each chapter "decision time" because we have players from different timeline and all the pm time involved might take some time.

Look at the list, I found 4 historical allies who actually did nothing to save my monarchy. :rtwno: ~;) We must change that people! Where are you Wellington?

Mr White
12-30-2005, 09:47
I suggest at least 24+ hours for each chapter "decision time" because we have players from different timeline and all the pm time involved might take some time.

I would say about 48 hours or so and an aditional 3 days for me to gather all the information and write a new chapter. I want to ad that when explaining your tactics to me you can elaborate as much as you think is necessary but at the end you sum up your tactics in short so I don't have to search what you mean and there are no misunderstandings.

Look at the list, I found 4 historical allies who actually did nothing to save my monarchy. :rtwno: ~;) We must change that people! Where are you Wellington?

Well most of your allies had some benefit from the Belgian uprising and others were to busy with internal matters to be able to react. This is what will make the game so interesting, no fun in a civil uprising being crushed by the combined forces of multiple major nations.

That being said, a revolution isn't necessary or inevitable. It just happened because Willem I and his entourage was to hesitant or made the wrong decisions.

ShadesWolf
12-30-2005, 18:42
Interesting idea.

One of the scenarios on 'Victoria - An empire under the suns' start at this date. Well work a look if anybody is interested in the period

Mr White
12-31-2005, 09:56
Interesting idea.

One of the scenarios on 'Victoria - An empire under the suns' start at this date. Well work a look if anybody is interested in the period

What is Victoria-... exactly? A game, a book, ...?

Mr White
12-31-2005, 14:17
While I was studying financial management ( I'm in my last year master in public management) I found this in the book 'Overheidsbegrotingen (= government budgets) by prof H. Matthijs ( a professor of mine) the following :

In the period imediatly after the independance, Belgium didn't have any financial means. That is why the new country was financialy aided by the influencial bankers family " the Rothschilds". They have influenced the financial policy in Belgium for a long time. When we divide the rulers in name and the ones in power, the Rothschilds were certainly in the last category in Belgium. The new nation had a low income and the defences against the Dutch invasions were very expensive. That is why a gigantic loan of 48 million (old) gulden (+- 500 million euro) was closed with the Rothschilds.
This Jewish bankers family negotiated in secret with the Minister of finances (= the Chanselor of the Echequers) J.A. Coghen and this under supervision of King Leopold I. The conditions weren't very favourable because of the weak position of the Belgians.

Sorry if my translation isn't all that but I wanted to add this to prove that th Rothschilds did have major influence on the politics of the 19th century (and perhaps still today). A bit further Matthijs mentioned that the Rothschilds also financed the English in their campaign against Napoleon.
I think the Rothschildswould be a very interesting character to add to our game with a lot of influence and a lot of options strategy wise.

mercian billman
12-31-2005, 20:22
I think I'll take a crack at playing the Rothschilds. I'm assuming that my goal with them would be somewhere along the lines of making a lot of money, while at the same time trying to not piss off all of the major powers. Am I right?

AntiochusIII
12-31-2005, 21:44
What is Victoria-... exactly? A game, a book, ...?Victoria: Empire Under the Sun (or something like that), a game by Paradox similar to Europa Universalis, and one of the favourites of many org patrons.

By its name I think you can guess its overall timeline.

ShadesWolf
01-01-2006, 07:29
What is Victoria-... exactly? A game, a book, ...?

Yes, as AntiochusIII stated, its an excellent games, that covers this period.

Mr White
01-01-2006, 21:03
I think I'll take a crack at playing the Rothschilds. I'm assuming that my goal with them would be somewhere along the lines of making a lot of money, while at the same time trying to not piss off all of the major powers. Am I right?

Thanks for trying them. I really wanted them in because I believe that they will make the game more interesting and unpredictable.

Yes their goal is to gain influence and wealth without stepping on toes you shouldn't have. Your dealings will be more shady, I presume.
But you have one major trump card: you have money, something almost all nations lack.

I will post the prologue of our little game noon tomorrow ( in about 15 hours for people in a different timezone). I am always open for suggestions or questions.

Mr White
01-02-2006, 13:23
So the game starts today,
the players are:
- Antiochus III as Willem I
- Strike for the South as England
- Franconicus as Prussia
- ColdKnight as Russia
- Kagemusha as Austria
- Destroyer of Hope as France
- Discovery1 as the Belgian Rich
- Mercian billman as the Rothschilds

Other people can still comment on this thread or help a player but no other characters will be added to the game.

Wish you all a lot of fun with this game.

Mr White
01-02-2006, 14:24
Prologue

The year is 1829 and unrest is upon Europe. The major powers thougth that with the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo and the agreements at the Congress of Vienna that stability would return to western Europe. The revolutionistic France was back in the hands of an absolute monarch and although the Holy Alliance ended with the death of Tsar Alexander, its ideas were still a strong belief for its participants. But all's not well.

Everywhere people fight for independance, from Greece to newly formed nations in South America. The Europese middleclass is demanding more rights. Riots break out from Russia to England and everywhere in between. And even between the former allies distrust arises but a major incident has been avoided so far.

The dam (the United Kingdom of the Netherlands) against the revolutionist ideas in France is just barely holding. Although the southern provences share a lot of history with the northern provinces, it is clear that both aren't as compatible as first assumed.
The catholic south, especialy the clerics, are weary of the protestant north as well as of Willem I who is protestant.
The northern provinces had a substancial debt that it spreaded out over all the provinces. The Southern provinces which were in a much healthier financial state were not amused.
Willem I wants just one official language, Dutch of course, and starts some Dutch colleges and universities in the south. This will grant him the support of future intellectuels but enrages the French speaking bourgeoisie and nobility.
In addition the bourgeoisie were like the rest of Europe's rich but powerless demanding more rights.
If this wasn't enoughthe whole of Europe was dealing with social unrest because of an economical crisis. The labourers were calm for the moment but would this last?

the UKN was a potential timebomb. But this explosive situation is occuring in every country.

Suddenly disaster strikes in July when another uprising in France turns in to the July revolution. Charles X is replaced by Louis-Phillipe who restored a lot of reforms from the earlier revolution. he accepted limited power over the people.
There is a saying that goes 'when it is raining in Paris is is dripping in Brussels'. The Belgian nobility openly flirts with France. The suggestion of asking the French king to annex the Belgian provinces ones more aren't unfamiliar in the midst of the bourgeoisie either. They want to use this as a way to put more weight in when they ask Willem I ones more for a more liberal reign.

There is no more time for half measures. every country with an absolute reign must react and stabelize its country before it's to late. Concessions can be made but power will be lost! And besides fear can be far more effective than negotiating.

This is an uncertain time for all reigns in Europe but also posses great opportunities for nations and people who are able to profit from the immobility of others.

Rulers:
UKN: Willem I (absolute monarch)
France: Louis-Phillipe (constitutional monarch)
Prussia: Frederick William III (absolute monarch)
Russia: Nicholas I (absolute monarch)
Austria: Francis I (absolute monarch)
England: George IV (absolute monarch, not exactly but for the sake of the game let us pretend)

Franconicus
01-03-2006, 10:03
Mr White, I see that he is from a country that has not been ruled right for a long time. :no:

Please note that he has to call me:

Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia by the Grace of God

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/Ac.preussen.jpg/451px-Ac.preussen.jpg

Mr White
01-03-2006, 11:43
Enschuldigung Friedrich Wilhelm III

Please forgive me my ignorance, I just copied it from Wikipedia. I should have thought of it.

And on that 'country that hasn't been ruled right', I am proud on our compromise culture although it isn't always that effeciënt

Franconicus
01-04-2006, 11:01
Mr White,

If this Louis-Philippe, the socalled King of the French is already 'king' and the July revolution took place, then We are already in AD 1830, aren't We? Can he give Us the precise date?

Mr White
01-04-2006, 11:33
We are still in 1929 but more to the end, lets say september. If Louis-Philippe hasn't been coronated yet let us just assume he is already in power.

Mr White
01-05-2006, 13:05
Would everybody send me his strategy by tomorrow (so in the next 24 hours), I know many of you are very busy with diplomatics but we need to go forward. In real life there is also a limited reaction time.

Mr White
01-10-2006, 13:00
I will post the new chapter today. I'm in the middle of writing it but I have an exam friday and saterday so I have to get back to my books but don't despair I will find some time later.

And I repeat you can use this thread to post formal declerations and for not secret negotiations and such.

Mr White
01-10-2006, 21:36
Chapter 1

Everywhere in Europe the social unrest rages on as nothing has been done to subdue the root of it. Small riots started by the plebs occur so regularly that some people talk about a global uprising. Luckily for the regimes the uprisings do not join forces and the incidents are ended very fast by police or dissolve by themselves.

The rich everywhere, who own the factories and shops, are driven to desperation as the riots endanger their property. A leaderless mob can turn on everyone and everything and lets face it the labourers are being exploited as it is. There is no time for doubts, they either have to turn to their governments or face the agitated people they employ.

The Netherlands acknowledge that something is brewing but experience a big hindrance in their budget as they have a phenomenal debt. The economical investments they made in the past and are still doing help a bit but it will take a long time before they can reap the profits.
Willem doesn’t think much of the Belgian burgeousie. ‘Just a bunch of selfish money grabbers’ he’s been noted to say. And nothing so far indicates that he’s wrong.

The French on the other hand are trying to lay a good foundation. Louis-Phillipe founds some universities from were the liberal ideas will be spread. Dutch intelligence discovered that some funds were freed in case an army has to be raised. Furthermore the French are starting an educational system for officers. The potential of experienced officers is big enough to make this a short term success.
The English haven’t yet taken a position apart from the colonial squabbles between them and the Dutch. Another hindrance is the debt they have with the Rothschilds dating back to the last warcampaign.

Wilhelm of Prussia was very active these past weeks. He brought his old allies Austria and Russia together in a new Holy Alliance. Naturally Prussia takes the lead but this may cause envy later on. Measure were taken, on initiative of Wilhelm of course, to stabilize the internal situation. In light of the external situation armies are readied. Prussia, with help from Austria, also tries to get the rest of the German provinces on his side. Most of them aren’t reluctant to the idea but want real decisive power in return.

As the European economy further plummets, money becomes a rare thing for any regime. Whatever plans were made for the future they have to be readjusted unless the economy would rekindle for some reason.
This is the time for cautious politics but an opportunistic faction could turn this in to his advantage.

Actions:

1) What to do about the economical malaise (for the regimes)? Keep in mind this will take up almost the entire budget, unless you come up with some interesting solutions.
2) What to do with the rich? They want power but aren’t exactly in a strong position right now. For the Belgian burgeousie this is your time to pick a side, but don’t take the decision lightly.
3) Keep in mind that whatever you do it will cost money and can possibly harm other sectors of governmental spending. Keeping a police force and an army at the ready provides a good protection but remember that unpaid men don’t do their job very well.

As always if you have any questions, comments or just want to shed some light on a certain thing please post it.

Good luck the fun is about to start.

Franconicus
01-11-2006, 09:59
Announcement of the Government of His Royal Majesty Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia by Grace of God:

To improve the happiness of its people and increase the wealth of Europe His Majesty’s Government decided to introduce following reforms:

1) The government of His Royal Majesty guarantees every person religious liberty.
2) Every person from abroad who will take an oath on the Prussian constitution and the Prussian King will get full civil rights. This includes Jews.
3) Every Prussian subject has the right to choose his profession as well as the place where he wants to live. Every person has proprietary rights.
4) The Prussian custom law guarantees that customs are only taken at the frontiers. Prussia offers to form a Zollunion with other German territories.
5) His Royal Majesty’s Government announces the foundation of the ‘Prussian Society for Economy and Trade”. Its chairman is Friedrich List. Its goal is the promotion of the trade with other countries, especially the sea trade and the decrease of economical barriers.
6) His Royal Majesty’s Government offers to privilege the traders of other countries on the base of reciprocity.
7) His Royal Majesty patronizes the building of railway lines. The Deilthaler Eisenbahn Aktiengesellschaft will be transferred into the Königlich-Preußische Eisenbahngesellschaft. Every citizen can buy shares.
8) His Royal Majesty’s Government introduces compulsory education. Every child has to spend at least four years at a public school. The education is free. Veterans and priests will teach.

His Majesty Friedrich Willhelm III nominates Hans Ernst Karl Graf von Zieten as Commander-in–chief of the Western Army. His Majesty also announces the formation of a new Guard Corps. This Corps will be formed by aristocrats and exceptional talented commoners.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/Ac.preussen.jpg/451px-Ac.preussen.jpg

AntiochusIII
01-12-2006, 00:37
In this Great Day, the Royal Court of The Hague is pleased to announce several new Edicts at once, may the citizens of the Netherlands take heed of this Great Declaration.

His Majesty the King, Willem Orange-Nassau I of the United Kingdoms of the Netherlands, is pleased to announce that the grievances of the citizens of Southern Netherlands -- otherwise known as Belgium -- has been addressed in this Great Edict, a result of the cooperation of the loyal citizens of Southern Netherlands and the King. The Assembly of the Netherlands will be reformed as a result.

The Edict of Brussels

1. The United Kingdom of the Netherlands will now collect tariffs on foreign commodities including, but not limited to, wheat.

2. The United Kingdom of the Netherlands will expand the seat of the Assembly to give the people of the Southern regions a proper representation in His Majesty's government, as well as expanding the Assembly's authority to include veto on the domestic issues deemed oppressive. However, should that happen, the King reserve the right to issue a plebiscite in which the population entire nation, not only the elite, will vote. He cannot does that more than once in three months, save in crisis; in effect, this will put the Assembly into an almost equal position as the King.

3. The King is confirmed as the head of the nation both in legal and practical terms. His power cannot be superceded by any form of legal document.

4. The King reserves the right to issue military offices in all areas of the nation. He, however, will be willing to listen to grievances filed by the local population.

5. The United Kingdom of the Netherlands will, from now, establish tolerance of religion. All citizens of the Kingdom will now be able to choose their religion of choice.

The lawful citizens of all the Netherlands, take heed at this glorious day of justice.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in the cause of the development of the United Kingdoms of the Netherlands, and the welfare of its citizens, another Edict has been issued to resolve the concerns of her people.

The First Edict of the Hague

1. The Edict confirms that the rights to property, to freedom of profession, and to freedom of religion belongs to all Dutch citizens.

2. The new Court of Appeals has been established. It shall, from now on, be open to receive grievances filed from all the Kingdom, whether they be from injustices of government officials, illegal threats, or legal disputes which cannot be resolved locally. It can only act at the grievances filed to it directly, or carried out in appeals from other courts, however. The Judges will be chosen by the King and select Assembly members and confirmed by the Assembly's authority. Justice, we are glad to declare, is a luxury that all in this Kingdom shall be able to afford.

3. Several new education institutions has been established and funded accordingly with His Majesty's personal wealth and the voluntary investment of private citizens of the Netherlands; their funding has taken a priority in the National investment:

The Hague Royal College, which includes:
- The Royal School of Navigation. Its charter indicates the goal of this institution to further enhance the skills of future Dutch mariners, captains of the Royal Navy, and private merchants who holds Dutch citizenship.
- The Royal School of the Army. Its purpose is to train future commanders of the Netherlands' army the worthy Art of War. Europe's most skilled military advisors and -- should they wish -- generals are invited to assume the professorships.
- The Royal Scholar's School of Humanities. Its charter indicates a wide range of cirriculum including the Humanities of the Renaissance and the Beaurecracy, stressing the legitimacy of Royal leadership and the philosophical views of Plato, among many others. This shall provide the world's top scholars in years to come.

The Amsterdam Royal University, which includes, but not limited to:
- The Amsterdam College of Laws
- The Amsterdam College of Humanities
- The Amsterdam College of Artisans, which shall teach the mastery a wide range of artisan occupations.
- The Amsterdam College of Economics
- The Amsterdam Council of the Merchants, whose membership will work in close cooperation with the University's professors in advising the King in the economic development of the Nation, and analyze as well as find solutions to today's economic problems.

The Brussels University, whose Charters and Colleges, as well as management authority, will be decided by the local Assembly, as the King willingly asserts. He invites the citizens of Brussels to take upon themselves the management of this most prestigious royally-approved institution. His Royal Majesty invites the citizens of Brussels to help fund the institution.

All three institutions, however, will be subject to the Assembly's authority at any time. The Board members are chosen with concern to merit, loyalty, and wisdom.

4. The governers Colonies of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands has been notified to carry out major reforms of the colonies, and is requested to send in plans of development and reform of their respective responsible areas to the Assembly within a month.

5. The Brussels Council of Merchant has been established; its purpose is the same to that of its Amsterdam sister; His Royal Majesty invites the Council members to closely cooperate with the University of Brussels, as well.

Strike For The South
01-12-2006, 00:52
By the grace of God King George will institute these new laws and reforms to Elevate England to the hieghest prestige.

-Abolition of Slavery in England and her dependences. This barbaric practice must be stopped.
-Higher pay for Military positons
-The increased industrialization of England
-A overhaul of the army will be put into effect immedently a draft and technological improvements should be implemented as quickly as possible.
-Lower taxes for native English but taxes shall be raised in her dependencies

GOD SAVE KING GEORGE

Kagemusha
01-12-2006, 02:04
Announcement Of The Austrian Emperor Franz I.

By this date his highness Emperor Franz I of Austria,Have declared following laws in all areas under the Empire.

1) His Majesty and his cabinet has decided in order to raise the living standards of his subjects to declare a state funded basic education to all his children.

2) The Emperor have declared that there are no tolls between his Austrian,Hungarian,German and Italian areas.Also The Emperor is also ready to discuss about toll free agreements with any of his Neighbouring countries,The Ottoman Empire excluded.

3)In order to move people and material faster from place to place Austria will also starts building A railway network that would connect the people from Hungary to Italy and Germany.Also anyone can buy shares for this project.

4) The last new declaration concerns about the military of the Emperor.In order to tighten the bonds of the Empire and all of its people.From now on The Austrian Army will be divided on three armies stationed in Italy, Austria and Hungary. Troops drafted for the Army in Italy will be mainly drafted from Hungary and Austria.Troops drafted for the Army in Hungary will be mainly drafted from Emperors areas In Germany.Troops drafted from the Army in Austria will be mainly drafted from Italy and Austria herself.

This announcement binds all living souls in his Majesty Emperor Franz I domain.

Emperor Franz I of Austria.

IrishMike
01-12-2006, 02:19
Nikolai I Pavlovich, Emperor of Russia and King of Poland has issued the following from St. Petersburg:

Construction will begin on a economical overland trade railway to China.

New trade incinitives will be offered to all friendly European nations.

An increased industrialization program and natural resource exploration shall begin.

An increased military industry, and grain exports shall be prepaired for trade.

Civil Changes are as follows:

A new civil law code which shall promote more human rights throughout the law.

A new system of local ministers so that complaints may be lodged to the government, and may be resolved if applicable.

A new military service incintive package to all men serving in the Emperor's Army for a period of 7 years or more.

A National program to increase the citizens health.

Education Changes are as follows:

New foundations for advancement in the study of the math and chemistry.

The setting up of education in cities of 15,000 thousand or more citizens.

A new military and navel combat advancement and study center for the furthering of military technology and its art.

Also a new anti-revolutionary propaganda campain has been started

Lord Winter
01-12-2006, 03:02
The Kingdom of France is disestablished. In its place the Republic of France is established. The only things unaffected are the military including the recently started academy Effects:

Establishes a full legislative house of the republic. With the powers of: setting taxes, declaring war, control of the treasury, regulate trade.

Establishes the position of Prime minister with the power: to appoint officials to help carry the duties of running the republic, commander in chief of the military, veto legislative actions if a 2/3 vote in the House of the Republic does not override it, make treaty and set foreign policy.

Divides France into united regions under the prime minister each with there own governor, the governor can enact there own law as long as it is not conflicting with federal law.

United regions have the power to: establish taxes, regulate voting, establish education, the last two being necessary.

Powers of the federal government over the regions being: collect money, conscript men.

Federal law always takes dominance over regional law.

All people over the age of 21 and are citizens have a right to vote. A citizen is defined as a person born in France or may become one by taking a oath of loyalty. All citizens of other countries

Hence forth secures freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press to all.

The house of the republic and the prime minister amend this with a 2/3 vote and approval from the Prime minister
To guide this new government the former king, Louis-Phillipe will be the first prime minister.
Louis-Phillipe Prime minister of France

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this could result in cival war and riots problems with the rich ect ect. Regions are basicly moddeled after U.S. states thou with less power.

discovery1
01-12-2006, 06:43
University of Brussels shall compose of:
College of Metallurgy
College of Engineering
College of the Sciences
College of Medicine
College of Economics
College of Humanities
College of Geology
College of Anthropolgy
among other things.

Also, the Merchant Council of Brussels has called for tariffs on textiles and refined metals, the creation of a national railnet, the financing of the developement and constrution of steam ships, and the developement of Belgian coal fields. Most importantly, we advocate the formation of a Nation Bank of the Netherlands, which would control the money supply and set a controlling interest rate which other banks would follow.

We also fully endorse the Kings Edicts.

AntiochusIII
01-12-2006, 07:35
Official Royal Message, the United Kingdoms of the Netherlands:

In response to the calls for economic reform by the Merchant Council of Brussels, and under advise of several prominent Assembly members, His Majesty King Willem Orange-Nassau I has issued a new Edict which will address the economy of this Great and Prosperous Nation. The United Kingdoms of the Netherlands, henceforth shall be known in official messages as the UKN, is pleased to announce:

The Second Edict of the Hague:

1. The Ministry of Education has been established; it will, from now on, holds the responsibility of managing the National school systems. Primary education, be advised, is now compulsory to underage citizens of all the UKN. No religions shall be taught in the public school system.

2. The United Netherlands Railroad Corporation has been established. It shall be funded from these sectors: the Royal Government Treasury, the Merchant Councils of Amsterdam and Brussels, and private sectors on an equal basis. Its charters has indicated its missions to be: "To establish railroad networks in the Netherlands, its colonies, and in neighboring countries with the interest of improvement of trade and mobility; to finance the development of rail technology; to support the public economy of the UKN."

3. The United Netherlands Steam Navigators Corporation has been established. Its funding shall be the same as the UNRC; its charter indicates its missions to be: "Constructing Ocean steamships to be sold to improve the competitive capabilities of those merchants who are the citizens of the United Kingdoms of the Netherlands; to finance the development of steamship technologies; to support the public economy of the UKN."

4. The National Bank of the Netherlands has been chartered. Its shares will be on an equal basis of the investors belonging to the Merchant Councils of Amsterdam and Brussels. Its chartered purpose, and accompanied authority, is to be: "To control the money supply of the National economy; to issue and control the national currency rate; to manage interest rates of all banks operating within the locales subject to the sovereignty of the UK; to serve the public economy of the UKN."

5. The UKN will, from now on, include the tariffs on textiles and refined metals as requested by Merchant Council of Brussels to the existing tariff on wheat, in the original declaration of the Edict of Brussels.

6. The UKN officially authorizes the Merchant Council of Brussels to control monopoly to coal fields for ten years (renewable) in the Southern Netherland regions to oversee the development of the rich coal fields in the region.

---------------------------------------------

The Royal Court at the Hague also issue a private statement condemning the growth of revolutionary ideas, and calls for Europe to take action to secure proper justice and values of her people.

Franconicus
01-12-2006, 08:24
Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia by Grace of God and
Nikolai I Pavlovich, Emperor of Russia and King of Poland

are pleased to announce the foundation of the

Imperial Russian-Prussian Trade Society

The society will eclusively conduct the trade between Russia and Western Europe. All nations and trade organisations are invited to make treaties with the society.

Mr White
01-12-2006, 13:06
Now we are getting somewhere. I'm very pleased with the measures taken and the depth of them. Turns out you're all very liberal in contrast with your historical alter egos but it will probably help a lot to calm the unrest down. It'll take all my knowledge of public management to sort things out but don't worry every action has its downsides and I found some already by just reading everything.

This is turning out to be a very political and economical game but it was what I expected. I'm not such a military connaiseur but I have more than a basic knowledge about laws and edicts and their possible effect on situations.

I wont be able to go over everthing in detail (and the outcome of it) right away as I have an exam on friday and saterday. But don't worry I'll leave some time in my shedule on sunday and monday.

Franconicus
01-12-2006, 15:47
Friedrich Wilhelm III King of Prussia
Franz I, Emperor of Austria,
Nikolai Pavlovich, Emperor of Russia and King of Poland
To George King of the United Kingdom and of Hannover

announce

to rebuild the Holy Alliance.

The four souvereigns pledge Themselves to restore Christian values, fight liberal ideas as well as seceders all over Europe and cement the territorial arrangement in Europe.

Lanemerkel1
01-12-2006, 17:37
all the time where france and england were at war (1066 - 1814)

it's amazing their the only ones whoms motherlands haven't changed

Lord Winter
01-13-2006, 06:39
Question
How are secret info going to be handled there will be some stuff i dont want the others to see if i am at war.

Franconicus
01-13-2006, 08:12
DoH,
Just send them to me :laugh4:

King Kurt
01-13-2006, 10:40
Interesting thread - haven't looked for a week or so - and most of the Ancien regieme of Europe have become Liberal Democrats!!
One point - everybody has started building railways - is it a little bit early for that in 1829 as the Rocket has only just done its trials in Manchester?In October 1829 the only railway in the world was between Liverpool and Manchester, so it is a leap of faith for the Tsar to start the trans-siberean!!~:cheers:

Franconicus
01-13-2006, 10:56
K.K.,

The first German iron railroad wad build in 1828 by the Deilthaler Eisenbahn Aktiengesellschaft. It still used horses to pull the waggons. In 1835 the first steam engine train run on the railroad from Nürnberg to Fürth. So I think 1830 is the time to collect money for the bog program.

Regarding the Trans Sib: You know the Russians, always big plans to mordernize their countries ~;)

And who do you call liberal democrats. We give the people some economic freedom to keep them under control and to get rich. But no political freedom of cause.:no:

King Kurt
01-13-2006, 11:19
And who do you call liberal democrats. We give the people some economic freedom to keep them under control and to get rich. But no political freedom of cause.:no:
Oh - these sensitive Prussians!!

Just look - freedom of religion, free trade, compulsory education - My God, it is the slippery slope to the people having the vote!!!~:cheers:

Franconicus
01-13-2006, 11:29
Just look - freedom of religion, free trade, compulsory education - My God, it is the slippery slope to the people having the vote!!!~:cheers:
Not at all. Freedom of religion has always been policy in Prussia. So many gifted refugees came to Our countries and increased Our income and population. Free trade will boost Our Economy too. And it will keep the middle class busy and happy. They need something to work their way up and to compete with the noble men. Let them make money!
Compulsory education - very important. It is done by veteran soldiers and priest. Most of the lessons are religious education. Pupils have to learn to love God, their country and their king. And a bit reading and writing. And maybe a bit of Prussia's glorious history and its glorious kings.
Having the vote? Strange idea!:furious3:

cegorach
01-13-2006, 17:11
[QUOTE=King Kurt]Interesting thread - haven't looked for a week or so - and most of the Ancien regieme of Europe have become Liberal Democrats!!

Yes, I agree. Especially weird for Tzar Nicolai who actually increased repressions especially in Polish dominated Lithuania-Belorus. Interesting to see him dchanging the policy - still I think that the November Rising in Poland and Lithuania-Belorus in 1830 will happen anyway. :book:

mercian billman
01-13-2006, 20:29
An Announcement from the House of Rothschild

The House of Rothschild is pleased to see the democratic reforms that are taking place in Europe in addition to the new reforms, we are also pleased to see that the governments of Europe are taking steps to establish systems of public transportation and public education, in addition to expanding individual rights. This is perhaps the first time in history the nations of Europe have had the opportunity to establish lasting peace and stability. Unfortunately peace and stability cannot be maintained by hope alone; public transport and education cannot be built by our imaginations. All of these new projects will require solid planning and a solid financial base which the House of Rothschild can provide.

As Europes nations have made reforms to suit their people, the House of Rothschild will make changes to suit the institutions and people we serve.

I. The first change will be a lowering of interest rates for new loans. Old debts will remain in effect, but the House of Rothschild is willing to restructure those loans in order to allow the granting of new loans which will be used for public education or public transport.

II. The House itself will be restructured, in the past loans to governments have been made through our banking houses in London, Paris, Vienna, Frankfurt, and Naples. Within the next few months all government loans will be handled through the London house which will from henceforth be known as the Rothschild International Bank of London (RIBL). Debts owed to the other houses will remain in effect, but will know be handled by RIBL. The other banking houses will continue to operate as they always have by supporting smaller banks and offering commercial loans and savings.

These changes allow us to simplify our banking transactions not only for ourselves but for our customers as well.

Franconicus
01-14-2006, 13:40
Announcements of the Government of His Royal Majesty, Firedrich Wilhelm, King of Prussia, by the Grace of God

1) We announce the foundation of the Royal Bank of Prussia.

2) We call all German nations to meet at Frankfurt. Topics: The situation at France; Economy

3) We announce that We regard all persons who support terrorists for example with weapons or money, as terrorists.

Kagemusha
01-15-2006, 15:21
Announcements of the Government of His Royal Majesty, Firedrich Wilhelm, King of Prussia, by the Grace of God

2) We call all German nations to meet at Frankfurt. Topics: The situation at France; Economy.

Announcement of Francis the First, by the grace of God Emperor of Austria; King of Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, and Lodomeria; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Würzburg, Franconia, Styria, Carinthia, and Carniola; Grand Duke of Kraków; Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Sandomir, Masovia, Lublin, Upper and Lower Silesia, Auschwitz and Zator, Teschen, and Friule; Prince of Berchtesgaden and Mergentheim; Princely Count of Habsburg, Gorizia, and Gradisca and of the Tyrol; and Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and Istria.

We will accept the call of Our brother the King of Prussia and urge all the German Nations to present themselves there also.

F

https://img462.imageshack.us/img462/9035/707pxwappenrmkaiser8qf.jpg

Strike For The South
01-16-2006, 05:09
King George offers this proposal to the glorious nations of Europe. Make the pound the offical currency of the continet. This will strengthen all economys and make holidays much easier.

Regards King George

Mr White
01-17-2006, 19:37
OK if you want to add something to your strategies you have time till tomorrow noon. I will post the next chapter on sunday. BTW I really like the way things are going.

King Kurt
01-18-2006, 11:49
Will the winner be the person with the biggest crest in their signiture????
One can't but wonder that they are trying to compensate for something they feel is lacking!!!
I like the idea of the pound being the european currency - will it spark the travel industry about 50 years earlier than it began in real life??:idea2:

Kagemusha
01-18-2006, 12:23
King Kurt.Are you making a fun of Habsburg coat of Arms?:inquisitive: .....~;)

cegorach
01-18-2006, 12:36
[QUOTE=Kagemusha]Announcement of Francis the First, by the grace of God Emperor of Austria; King of Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, and Lodomeria; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Würzburg, Franconia, Styria, Carinthia, and Carniola; Grand Duke of Kraków; Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Sandomir, Masovia, Lublin, Upper and Lower Silesia, Auschwitz and Zator, Teschen, and Friule; Prince of Berchtesgaden and Mergentheim; Princely Count of Habsburg, Gorizia, and Gradisca and of the Tyrol; and Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and Istria.

Hmm.... Is this the official title for this period ? I am asking because I see:

- Grand Duke of Kraków - which was at that time quite independent according to the Vienna treaty of 1815 as Rzeczpospolita Krakowska ( Kraków Republic) ad were taken only after unsuccessful Kraków Uprising in 1846.

- Duke of Sandomir, Masovia, Lublin - which were after 1809 lost to Austria ( the lost war against the Duchy of Warsaw), later added to the Russian empire.

I am just curious if it was still used in 1829 - it is possible, but quite unreasonable...

Regards Cegorach :book:

Kagemusha
01-18-2006, 13:30
Hmm.... Is this the official title for this period ? I am asking because I see:

- Grand Duke of Kraków - which was at that time quite independent according to the Vienna treaty of 1815 as Rzeczpospolita Krakowska ( Kraków Republic) ad were taken only after unsuccessful Kraków Uprising in 1846.

- Duke of Sandomir, Masovia, Lublin - which were after 1809 lost to Austria ( the lost war against the Duchy of Warsaw), later added to the Russian empire.

I am just curious if it was still used in 1829 - it is possible, but quite unreasonable...

Regards Cegorach :book:

I used the the title Francis(Franz) I,used himself.There was even the King of Jerusalem in his title but that was too much even for me.~;) Here is the source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg

Franconicus
01-19-2006, 14:16
Prussian newspapers report of violance against French nobility. Many French noblemen loose their properties and leave the countries. In France there are riots and chaos.

In a speech in front of veterans of the Liberation Wars the Prussian King expresses His concernes about the development at France. He calls apon the French to end the chaos and to give nobility its God given rights. He hopes that the Germans will not have to spill blood to rein in the French once again. But He says that noone should believe the Germans would not do it again if necessary.

The Prussian government orders to close the frontiers to France.

Lord Winter
01-20-2006, 02:12
Prussian newspapers report of violance against French nobility. Many French noblemen loose their properties and leave the countries. In France there are riots and chaos.

In a speech in front of veterans of the Liberation Wars the Prussian King expresses His concernes about the development at France. He calls apon the French to end the chaos and to give nobility its God given rights. He hopes that the Germans will not have to spill blood to rein in the French once again. But He says that noone should believe the Germans would not do it again if necessary.

The Prussian government orders to close the frontiers to France.

I thought only Mr. White could post these types of events concerning riots and such.

Franconicus
01-20-2006, 08:29
Didn't post about riots, did post about an article of a Prussian newspaper. That is completely under my control, isn't it? :bounce:

Mr White
01-21-2006, 09:11
To Franconicus: you can post whatever you like, but I decide what is really happening and what's not. This is just Prussian propaganda for me.

On the other hand I have some bad news. I won't be able to write a new chapter before sunday so it will be postponed with atleast one day (max wait till wednesday). Sorry for this but it seems there was a misunderstanding and I have an exam on monday (so I have to cram on sunday), thank you for your understanding.

Franconicus
01-24-2006, 17:14
[QUOTE=Mr White]To Franconicus: you can post whatever you like, but I decide what is really happening and what's not. This is just Prussian propaganda for me.
[QUOTE]
Yeah, propaganda! A very powerful mean. I have to keep my people happy. So propaganda is fine!:laugh4:

How was your test?:sweatdrop: :2thumbsup:

Mr White
01-25-2006, 09:36
By now I had 2 tests: Financial management and the other European governments. The first went great the other slightly less great but I'll probably pass. Thanks for asking. The next chapter will be posted later today

Mr White
01-26-2006, 10:50
My deepest apologies but my internet failed to log in yesterday so I couldn't post the next chapter. I'm writing now on a computer in school so I don't know just when I will be able to post, but count on it that I will before the end of the week.

Again my apologies

IrishMike
01-29-2006, 04:30
Just wanted to drop in and say that i've changed my name from ColdKnight to IrishMike. Didn't want anyone's pms to get screwed up.

Franconicus
01-30-2006, 10:43
:no: Changing names and faces :no:
These young men have no sense for tradition!

Kagemusha
01-30-2006, 10:53
Agreed.~;)

Mr White
01-30-2006, 12:42
Big problems on my side.

The problem with my internet connection has expanded to my system files, to be more specific the .../system32/config/system (or something like that).
So I can't acces windows + all the files on it. That includes my preparation of chapter 2.

So this thread is officially on hiatus until further notice.

Franconicus
01-30-2006, 13:02
I warned you all: The French Revolution will lead to chaos and desaster for all of us.

Franconicus
02-08-2006, 11:51
Big problems on my side.

The problem with my internet connection has expanded to my system files, to be more specific the .../system32/config/system (or something like that).
So I can't acces windows + all the files on it. That includes my preparation of chapter 2.

So this thread is officially on hiatus until further notice.
Mr. White,
Are there plans to revive this story in the near future? I do not know if I can keep my alliance together for long:embarassed:

Mr White
02-08-2006, 15:45
You're right Franconicus, expect chapter two tomorrow evening.

Franconicus
03-20-2006, 11:36
Will this story go on or is it finally dead? :no: If so, we could lay our cards on the table!

Strike For The South
03-21-2006, 04:01
Texas wins:laugh4: No but seriously there is only one way to settle this. /pulls out revolver. RUSSIAN ROULETTE

Csargo
03-30-2006, 23:19
I wish I would have seen this sooner so I could have joined it. You know what I think would be fun is if we made like a WWI thread like this one and you could be any country you want I thiink that would be pretty fun.