PDA

View Full Version : Post basic things here

Dayve
12-27-2005, 19:41
Rather than keep making new threads for every basic thing, i thought you could sticky this and everybody could post minor basic errors in here, and only post in the thread with a basic error/bug that can be easily fixed, don't post anything else... That way the EB people can scroll through a list of all the basic bugs without having to look at every single thread since there are going to be tons of them...

So i'll start with a basic error i've noticed, i took a screenshot of it. Whilst playing as the Romans i defeated a small army which then disbanded and i got the message that they have dispersed and need not trouble us anymore... But the message says something along the lines of "they dare not stand up to greek bravery" when i think it should be saying that they dare not stand up to Roman bravery... http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=363209

Solon of Athens
12-27-2005, 20:19
These are some bugs i've noticed:

A)The description for the roman barracks is messed up and repeats everythings about ten times in random places
B)In a Casse campaign it says you will be rewarded with a unit of triarii if you complete the game
C)Carthaginian elephants have peasant unit cards
D)Taverns and Home land resource buildings have an army barracks pic and have no description

I have been playing for the past 3 hours and have to say that EB is very impresive! Well worth the wait!
:bow:

Teleklos Archelaou
12-27-2005, 20:24
Yeah, the taverns were one big one that somehow slipped through. Dunno why though - as it should have picked up the vanilla one. That's why we missed it - since it seemed like there was no reason to change it. But we must have deleted it somehow accidently.

A and C are in the lists of issues. B sounds like a good one to report, but we will need a little more information about when the game said this or what the situation was.

Reenk Roink
12-27-2005, 20:26
I got that exact same "rewarded with triarii" message...

Lemme get a screenie.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://img302.imageshack.us/img302/2922/ebbug7se.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

This is for Epirus, though I think I saw it in Macedonia, and it's probably for every faction...

MeroFromVero
12-27-2005, 20:32
I got the Triarii thing playing as Baktria. It's in the faction summary scroll. In the victory condition section there it gives the standard 'you must rule Rome and control 50 provinces' thing, but it follows that with "You will be rewarded with a unit of Triarii."

MeroFromVero
12-27-2005, 20:59
Also, I can see Ariminum. From Baktra.

It shows as an isolated little red dot on my mini-map, and the city is clearly there (with, as you know, a Seleucid flag) on the campaign map.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-27-2005, 21:08
There is a feature not many folks know about - but it's not on many factions yet:

We reveal the locations of cities that the faction would have obviously known about. We do it with spies and scripting, but it allows a more realistic situation. For example, the greeks (KH) would have known where many many cities were. But the start of the game makes it seem like they don't. But now, in EB, if you start up as KH, you will see those cities (though FOW has resettled over them) at least! :rtwyes:

Reenk Roink
12-27-2005, 22:36
Another small thing, It's not a bug, more of a suggestion, but I don't know where else to place it. You have Pyrrhus garissoned in Epidamnos, but wasn't he campaigning in Laconia in 272 BC?

Also, his oldest son Ptolemy is in Taras, although I have a source here that says that he stayed in Epirus while Pyrrhus went over to Magna Grecia to fight the Romans and that when Pyrrhus departed, he left his youngest Helenus with Milo:

http://hum.ucalgary.ca/wheckel/sources/ehk.pdf#search='pyrrhus'

(it's on Page 5, XVV3, #4)

Also Ptolemy would have been in Laconia with his father where he died, according to the above mentioned source and another I found:

http://bennieblount.org/Online/Ussher/86.htm

2810. While Pyrrhus besieged Sparta, a company of women led by Archidamia, defended it against him until the return of Areus from Crete. Acrotatus the son of Areus, valiantly drove Ptolemy the son of Pyrrhus back when he made an assault and would have broken into Sparta with 2000 Gauls and some select companies from Chaonia. Thereupon Pyrrhus, despaired of accomplishing anything and withdrew. He took the spoil of the country and planned to winter there.

2811. Now while the war was going on in Laconia, Antigonus recovered the cities of Macedonia and marched down with his army into Peloponese. He wanted to fight again with Pyrrhus for he knew if Pyrrhus succeeded there, he would return to continue the war in Macedonia. (Pausan. in Attic. p. 12.) When Pyrrhus was on his way to Argos, Areus the king attacked him from the rear. He then cut off some of the Gauls and Molossians which brought up the rear. Orasus of Crete, slew Ptolemy the son of Pyrrhus, who fought valiantly for his father. (Plutarch) When Pyrrhus saw his son's dead body, he said that this death happened to him not as soon as he feared it would or for his much rashness in actions deserved. (Justin. l. 25. c. 4.)

Teleklos Archelaou
12-27-2005, 22:41
Pyrrhos was in lakonia in 272, but not for the whole year. He wouldn't have gone down right as the snow was clearing, but you are certainly right, he would have been heading down pretty soon. This part is left to the player though (if they want to make that decision - it was a pretty stupid one after all, and managed to bring two enemies together to help defeat him - the maks and spartans).

Getting the sons in the right places is important. We will take a look at that (sounds like the two sons just got switched) - and we actually want to press the Makedonians harder in early 272 in the north. For part of the year they actually lost Pella, but took it back pretty quickly. The Epeirotes need a bigger presence in Makedonia (maybe with a reduction of their Italian numbers).

You may note though that as the campaign progresses, that the Maks have a hard time under AI control. We don't want to totally smash them, but we haven't got the perfect balance worked out here.

Reenk Roink
12-27-2005, 22:45
I've been testing both those factions and while no bugs yet :rtwyes:, the economies of both is extremely difficult to handle, I've had to seriously consider disbanding the eles because they cost so much...excellent mod by the way :gring:.

Kääpäkorven Konsuli
12-27-2005, 23:40
There is too long loading time between turns. It takes almost 2 minutes whit my sempron 3000+, 1g ram and radeon 9600. Otherwise I don't have any reason to complain.

the tokai
12-27-2005, 23:50
I just noticed that the Hayasdan and the Yuezhi family members are both using the pontic general as bodyguard (on the campaign map, I didn't use them in any battles so I don't know about those).

Taffy_is_a_Taff
12-27-2005, 23:51
2 minutes between turns?
imagine how cool your arms could get if you spend those two minutes doing push-ups.

ah, I will return to being strong with the aid of EB. God bless you all.

Taliferno
12-27-2005, 23:55
Goildilic Daernaght:discribed as having a heavy javlin in their discription, but arent equiped with one.

In custom battle Equites Pretoriani cost 1200 mnai, yet are better than Equites which cost 1848 mnai. Actually, looking back at it again it could have been a design descision (Normal Equites have an armor piercing attack)

Reenk Roink
12-27-2005, 23:58
There is too long loading time between turns. It takes almost 2 minutes whit my sempron 3000+, 1g ram and radeon 9600. Otherwise I don't have any reason to complain.

I play mainly with Makedonia and Epeiros, so they are relatively small factions, but I do notice lag during the Eleutheroi turn, and that is expected.

This is partly due to the fact that EB has a much larger campaign map than vanilla Rome.

As more of the campaign map opens up, that is what happens, as more goes around the world that you are aware of...

So if you're playing as the Seleucids, expect that to happen.

Then again, the more territory you control, the longer your turn will be, balancing it out quite nicely.

So after and epic ten minute turn, take two minutes off managing you empire and get a snack ~D.

Dayve
12-28-2005, 00:23
Whilst laying siege to Bononia as the Romans, i decided to see what kind of mercenaries i could hire there... One was a unit of light spear armed (skirmishing also) cavalry called Curepos... But their unit description will have you believe that you are hiring a general... :gring:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=363341

Kääpäkorven Konsuli
12-28-2005, 00:47
2 minutes between turns?
imagine how cool your arms could get if you spend those two minutes doing push-ups.

I need more than push-ups to get my arms any cooler than they already are.~D

I played Sweboz and I had only a few cities so I don't even dare to think what kind of experience playing as Seleucids would be.

MeroFromVero
12-28-2005, 00:49
Here's a basic thing:

I just exited out of the game for the 1st time (instead of taking a CTD shortcut), and i got a pop-up with the following error:
-------------------------------
Generic Error:

DATABASE_TABLE Error Found: unrecognized id roman archer requested
-------------------------------

Everything worked just fine while I was playing though, so I'm not sure what that message is referring to.

Dayve
12-28-2005, 01:39
I personally think that Gaestae (naked guys) are too powerful... I know that historically they might have spent 3 quarters of their life preparing to spill the blood of their enemies, and might be fierce and ferocious and unable to feel fear or give mercy and all that stuff... But that doesn't make up for the fact that they're wearing no armour...

These guys can be peppered with javelins, surrounded and exhausted, but still fight on... And not only do they fight on, they take 3 quarters of each unit of men fighting against them with them... And gods help you if you're attacking a city and they're defending the gate... :rtwno: Maybe their stats should be reduced just a tiny bit? Or maybe not, whatever everyone else things.

One more basic thing... Playing as the Romans (as always) I just got the 'most advanced faction' message... It said something about Hellenic greatness knowing no boundaries... It should have said Roman greatness knows no boundaries.

The_Mark
12-28-2005, 01:53
I need more than push-ups to get my arms any cooler than they already are.~D
Do planche-pushups. ~;p Linkage courtesy of SwordsMaster: http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=planch.jpg

the_handsome_viking
12-28-2005, 06:50
http://tinypic.com/j97k3b

Color problems on this unit.

Iskandr
12-28-2005, 07:03
Ok, not sure these are bugs, but some issues with unit stats/cost.

1. Macedonian Thureophoroi and Peltastai are virtually identical in all respects except charge. Reading the unit descriptions, it seems that the thureos should be better in melee, as it is they have 1 more point of armor but 23 less charge! They seem to get chopped up in combat with other infantry more than pelts (no doubt because they are spear-armed) but hold their own against cavalry. But anyway, I am just wondering if the two units were supposed to be so close in stats and abilities.

2. Not really a bug per se, but the building browser is really, really unhelpful. I know that this is due to factors behond your control, and for the beta we can live with it, but for the full release, some sort of graphic aid would be awfully handy. For now, just a text flowchart would come in really handy. For example, in my Makedonia game it's 248, and I still don't even know what I have to build to produce hetairoi or Hypaspists.

3. The pirate fleets of doom. I know pirates were a major threat, but come on...the "Great Pirate Fleet" has 3 units twice as large as Triremes, with better attack and defense stats- and my triremes cost 11400 each. My starting fleet, 3 basic ships, got attacked by them at 20 to 1 odds. Might be a LITTLE overpowered. I've also seen them destroy a pretty large Roman Navy. To date, I don't think they've even lost a man, and they've been sailing around sinking faction navies for 25 years now.

4. Finally, mercenaries. Just noticed that there aren't any Kretan Toxitai or Rhodian Sphendonetai. Just curious if they are intended to be absent, or just not finished yet.

Anyway, no crashes or real bugs noticed yet, so good job!

Iskandr

Ranika
12-28-2005, 07:10
Goildilic Daernaght:discribed as having a heavy javlin in their discription, but arent equiped with one.

Unit is a placeholder; a redone version will be in later builds, javelins and all.

Ranika
12-28-2005, 07:19
I personally think that Gaestae (naked guys) are too powerful... I know that historically they might have spent 3 quarters of their life preparing to spill the blood of their enemies, and might be fierce and ferocious and unable to feel fear or give mercy and all that stuff... But that doesn't make up for the fact that they're wearing no armour...

These guys can be peppered with javelins, surrounded and exhausted, but still fight on... And not only do they fight on, they take 3 quarters of each unit of men fighting against them with them... And gods help you if you're attacking a city and they're defending the gate... :rtwno: Maybe their stats should be reduced just a tiny bit? Or maybe not, whatever everyone else things.

Long have I anticipated this complaint.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is really how they were. They were not just strong big guys who fought naked. They were on a ton of drugs. Read their description. The Romans said they would rip javelins out of their bodies and throw them back. They were recorded by Greeks as walking away from a fight with huge, definitely mortal wounds. The Gaesatae are invariably one of the single strongest units in the game, and they should be. No civilization that ever fought them found them anything less than inhumanly terrifying. In game terms, they are also expensive as all bejeezus, and should be, as they were mercenaries of sorts, but didn't fight for anyone but Gauls and occassionally Carthage.

However, they are (to explain the morale) too whacked on drugs to know when to run away, or feel any pain. And drugs can allow people to walk with arrows or javelins through their body (I compare this to modern PCP; read accounts of shootouts with a PCP addict). As such, they also can't feel pain for overuse of muscles or overextending themselves, so they can be far stronger than their already massive bodies would normally allow. They are the closest thing to a genuine fantasy unit in the game, and the creepy thing is that they were real.

That said, they aren't invincible. Attacking them with infantry is suicide. They eat infantry like it's nothing; that's the point of the unit. Missiles won't do too well, but you can soften them up real well with a ton of javelins. However, cavalry can do the trick. Try to hit their flanks with heavy cavalry or similar. Even their immense morale will begin to lower rapidly, and you can rout them. However, only rout them. Do not try to surround them, because then they try to fight their way out (fight-to-the-death), and the sheer cost in soldiers killed will be enormous. Plus they lower infantry morale, so you don't want to keep tagging around them if there are other enemies to fight.

In conclusion; the Gaesatae aren't over-powered. If they're causing you massive casualties or don't seem to die, or seem invincible, that's the idea, because that's really how they appeared to be in the ancient world.

Simetrical
12-28-2005, 09:29
Thanks for all the bugs, everyone, they've been noted.

Rilder
12-28-2005, 11:27
I have a small bug, dont know if it is tho, but my Casse family member got the trait which makes him proficiant when marching in deserts? when he'd never been neer a desert

Antagonist
12-28-2005, 13:14
I have a small bug, dont know if it is tho, but my Casse family member got the trait which makes him proficiant when marching in deserts? when he'd never been neer a desert

I also had this in my Aedui campaign.

A couple of other things:

- The message that appears on the battle preparation screen is not always accurate, when being attacked by the Casse or the Sweboz it's correct, but for the Arverni it reads: "You are being attacked by an army of Sarmatians"

- The pop-up "military-roster-in-a-nutshell" that appears over faction icons in the various faction selection screens doesn't seem to be too accurate or helpful.

- Small thing: The names and the textual descriptions for Aedui governments 2 and 4 are identical. The differing effects are still there, so I don't know whether it's actually a bug, but it is not at all apparent from the descriptions exactly what kind of administration it is.

- Also not a bug, but keeping financially solvent as the Aedui is extremely difficult. I had to restart three times because I was ending up about 30,000 mnai (aside, what currency is an "mnai"?) in the red after a single four-turn year. The only way to keep things "in the black" that I have found is to maximise taxes and never buy anything, just assembling all the troops I start with into a single huge stack (which leaves most of my settlements empty or nearly empty) and even then I can only stay positive by sacking cities.

- I've also experienced several CTD's when infiltrating a settlement with a spy. However, they do not appear to be reproducable (I'll begin a turn, infiltrate a settlement immediately, CTD, then do the exact same thing again with no problem) and are very infrequent.

Actually, I must say that, while it's obviously incomplete, I have found the OB far more stable than I was expecting it to be. It's (mostly) a pleasure to play.

Antagonst

Spendios
12-28-2005, 13:40
A few things I noticed :

-when beginning a Pontos campaign you have the Carthaginian intro film
-Pontos has "harauvatish asabara" cavalry whose description say they are Arachosian :questiong:

-Punic Sacred Band Cavalry has a graphical problem in the head of the horse

Moros
12-28-2005, 14:15
- Also not a bug, but keeping financially solvent as the Aedui is extremely difficult. I had to restart three times because I was ending up about 30,000 mnai (aside, what currency is an "mnai"?) in the red after a single four-turn year. The only way to keep things "in the black" that I have found is to maximise taxes and never buy anything, just assembling all the troops I start with into a single huge stack (which leaves most of my settlements empty or nearly empty) and even then I can only stay positive by sacking cities.

Antagonst
You must be kidding. I found the Aedui one of the more easy factions. At the start I just conquered that town in the middle and I disbanded the army at massilia and other units I didn't need. Then I started improvind my economy while I tried to make as much alliances trade rights,...but also ask money for it. Then when I was making a lot of profit I conquered patavium.

I like it this way. War was an expnsive thing to do. You shild try to only have bigger standing armys when needed but once you don't need the anymore disband most of it. Read the gameplay guides. I don't think there's one for the Aedui but it's really all the same for all of them: invest in your economy, have only as much forces as you need. Compare unit prices and abilities and think twice before you spend money or make war. Also try to get money for everything you do. And use your diplomat wisely.

NightStar
12-28-2005, 19:16
One issue

I am playing as the Sweboz and have taken the town of Gáwjám-Rugoz. I have built Tráustáfulkám or Sweboz Allied Nation and have a Meeting Hall there, still I can´t produce any troops....is this supposed to be like that?

Rilder
12-28-2005, 20:23
I think this is Connected to the Romani having the seclucid banner when under FOW and during battle but on my game the Romani have greek voices, greek pre-battle speaches and when ordered to do stuff the roman units respond in greek voices, its kinda funny cause when i came into battle my roman said "Fight well sons of greece" or something along that line

O'ETAIPOS
12-28-2005, 21:58
In Makedonian campain, the rebels from Aitolia built a watchtower (greek)
but when I loaded the game the tower was stone (easten) one instead

Crownsteler
12-28-2005, 22:57
Some possible issues I found:
1) The 'Conqueror of Syrakousai' trait for Carthage seems to be intended for the Greeks (see screenshot (https://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00294cz.jpg)), or am I just mistaken?

2) Epirot cities fly the old Thracian flags (see screenshot (https://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00304cp.jpg), this was during my assault on Syracuse btw)

3) When using scipt to see what settlements you still have to capture as Carthage, the marker around Sucum-Murgi does not disappear when closing the scipt (see screenshot (https://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00058qw.jpg))

4) The unit card of the Carthaginian spy is the old Ptolomaic one (it has a yellow character), instead of the Carthaginian one (with a white character) (the actual model has the white texture btw)

Teleklos Archelaou
12-28-2005, 23:07
Some possible issues I found:
1) The 'Conqueror of Syrakousai' trait for Carthage seems to be intended for the Greeks (see screenshot (https://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00294cz.jpg)), or am I just mistaken?

2) Epirot cities fly the old Thracian flags (see screenshot (https://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00304cp.jpg), this was during my assault on Syracuse btw)

3) When using scipt to see what settlements you still have to capture as Carthage, the marker around Sucum-Murgi does not disappear when closing the scipt (see screenshot (https://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00058qw.jpg))

4) The unit card of the Carthaginian spy is the old Ptolomaic one (it has a yellow character), instead of the Carthaginian one (with a white character) (the actual model has the white texture btw)
Some good ones!

1. Definitely a trait thing that slipped through. Good eye.
2. City walls/towers/gates have flags that I don't think anyone has been able to change unless you totally change the whole thing. I've not looked really closely into it, but from what I saw this was much much more difficult than any banners that I was changing. These may not get changed at all because of this, or someone might be able to enlighten us (although we have no one currently that I know of who is able or willing or both to be able to work on things like walls anyway...)
3. woof. No idea how to fix that one. Maybe the scripters will know.
4. Spy and diplomat unit cards and some campaign map textures haven't really been dealt with yet. I think we'd like to include new ones eventually, but we need help.

the tokai
12-29-2005, 00:19

Yeah that also happened to me with the Roman "raiding" targets. The markers stayed on all the cities for as far as I could see. (didn't take a screenshot though, and with all the long loading times I can't be bothered to start up the game right now just to take a screenshot)

Kull
12-29-2005, 01:52

My Sweboz Faction Leader also received the "Desert Warrior" trait (probably the same one Rider described above)

An odd issue involving script activation:

When playing as Casse and Sweboz, the Advisor disappears when clicking the "Show me how" button. However, when playing as Epeiros the button changes from green to gray, but the advisor stays on the screen until you click on his portrait.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
12-29-2005, 03:04
carthaginian officers with rebel Iberian units.

javelin throwing being performed by a unit engaged in hand to hand.

Iberian light infantry beating up on Iberian general's heavy cavalry.

mike^_^
12-29-2005, 03:15
javelin throwing being performed by a unit engaged in hand to hand.

that bug is CA's

Simetrical
12-29-2005, 05:11
Thanks to everyone for the reports. They've been noted.

Reenk Roink
12-29-2005, 05:14
Some good ones!

2. City walls/towers/gates have flags that I don't think anyone has been able to change unless you totally change the whole thing. I've not looked really closely into it, but from what I saw this was much much more difficult than any banners that I was changing. These may not get changed at all because of this, or someone might be able to enlighten us (although we have no one currently that I know of who is able or willing or both to be able to work on things like walls anyway...)

TA, for the tower/flag thing, check the guys at the Zhanguo Mod, they've done some pretty cool stuff with towers, perhaps they could help.

the_handsome_viking
12-29-2005, 05:47
http://tinypic.com/jafjsy

Did you guys decide to change the unit model?

Ranika
12-29-2005, 06:04
Yes, while optomizing model space, we changed them; UI hasn't been updated.

the_handsome_viking
12-29-2005, 06:22
Yes, while optomizing model space, we changed them; UI hasn't been updated.

Fair enough, those models look very cool anyway =)

Dooz
01-21-2006, 12:45
Whilst laying siege to Bononia as the Romans, i decided to see what kind of mercenaries i could hire there... One was a unit of light spear armed (skirmishing also) cavalry called Curepos... But their unit description will have you believe that you are hiring a general... :gring:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=363341

This is actually the case for some other mercenary cavalry units as well.

And handsome viking, where did you get those Rycalawre? Never seen those before.