PDA

View Full Version : Roma Type Modification for EB?

Spitful
12-29-2005, 00:26
With the release of the Open Beta of EB to the public domain i was wondering if the team would be averse to me using the excellent platform that they have created (ie EB) to create a modification focussed on one of the games factions and granting it extra building and unit complexes at the expense of the other factions to provide a more immersive and (through the use of stats tweaking) more challenging game. Anyone would be willing to help ofcourse.

OFFTOPIC: Whats with the new smilies?

Mouzafphaerre
12-29-2005, 00:58
RE: OFFTOPIC

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1018141&postcount=9

Dayve
12-29-2005, 01:02
I think i'd be offended if i had just spent 2 years working hard on a mod, releasing the open beta of it then 2 days later already getting people ask if they could take my two years of work and change it before people have even had a chance to play the beta and before the full polished and finished version of my mod is released...

EB is a Roma like mod in itself... What else could you possibly want to do to it? Sure it's missing a few units and buildings at the moment, but they did clearly state that it's unfinished up to now... When it's finished it will be perfect...

Spitful
12-29-2005, 01:07
Dont get me wrong, EB have done tremendous work, its amazing how they managed to keep on with it for so long.
I meant Roma in that it focusses more on the playing of a particular faction, ie Lower level units from some further away factions are removed to allow new units for the main faction to be added. (And there is no way they have included everything the historians originally wanted to, the hardcodes prevent it) These lower tier units could be removed because by the time the faction reaches them they would be on higher tiered units anyway

Dayve
12-29-2005, 01:29
That would only be realistic with certain factions though... I mean you wouldn't find the Romans recruiting hastati in the time of marius' reform of the army, so it would be ok to remove lower tiered Roman units once they reach the next tier.. (which uh, already happens) But other factions that didn't have full time proffessional armies like barbarians and eastern factions and such would levy every available man they could in times of need, including peasants with no training, arming them with a spear and a shield and throwing them into battle... So for most factions leaving the first and crappest tier of units in after they unlock the next is realistic in my opinion...

Simetrical
12-29-2005, 04:20
I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that anyone is free to release mods of our mod, of course. We do have a forum marked out for that. Any mod that requires EB to be installed first is unquestionably acceptable. If you want to take parts and repackage them, then we'll have to talk about how much credit we get, but as long as you're advertising it as a mod for EB, I'm sure no one will mind. You may wish to wait for khelvan's word on this to be careful, though.

khelvan
12-29-2005, 05:44
This forum exists for just that purpose. There is no way that EB could prevent people from making modifications of our modification, nor would we want to. I, personally, see it as a compliment regarding our work that people would choose to use it as a modding platform.

However, you may find that modding certain aspects of EB will lead to much frustration. Due to heavy trait and script interaction, it may be best if you ask lots of questions rather than diving headlong into this.

Shrapnel
12-29-2005, 08:12
Dayve mods were already being planned when RTW itself first came out, EB was one of them. People want to do different things, if he wants to minimize the map down to just Southern Gaul, Helvetica, Italy and Scicily then he can.

OFFTOPIC:Dayve you can change your sig. now:happyg:

Spitful
12-29-2005, 11:47
I mgiht not have explained it well enough.
If i were to focus on the Romans, i would remove the lower tier units of factions which do not have contact with the Romans in the early game (ie: Bactria, Yuezi, Parthians etc)
I thank the EB team for not eating me alive, and of course for releasing EB in the first place.

Il have to ask lots of questions. Lots and lots of them.

Mouzafphaerre
12-30-2005, 00:49

I thank the EB team for not eating me alive
We like our spitful well boiled.

:hide:

QwertyMIDX
12-31-2005, 11:40
You should be careful cutting lower tiered units. With the EB gov'ts and economic systems they're the core of most armies through the entire game.

The_Mark
01-01-2006, 17:12
Some distant regional units could be a better option.

Idomeneas
01-02-2006, 19:19
I think i'd be offended if i had just spent 2 years working hard on a mod, releasing the open beta of it then 2 days later already getting people ask if they could take my two years of work and change it before people have even had a chance to play the beta and before the full polished and finished version of my mod is released...

EB is a Roma like mod in itself... What else could you possibly want to do to it? Sure it's missing a few units and buildings at the moment, but they did clearly state that it's unfinished up to now... When it's finished it will be perfect...

well well... somebody is more royalist than the king himself...:laugh4:

Maybe CA should feel the same way? cause no matter how hard EB team worked they wouldnt exist if some CA guys were not building the code, calculate the graphics ''weight'' so you wont need super computer and many other aspects.

As far as i know EB team has absolutely no problem to share its work. This is a community. Do you feel that nobody can improve anything on EB or make an equally interesting mod by using it as platform?

This is not for the money its for the fun. Many accuse CA for being too mysticopath, lets show that communities differ from companies. As long as the credits are given i cant see any problem.

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spitful
01-03-2006, 19:50
Current Ideas:

1. Scrap Yeuzhi
2. Add in either Illyria or Numidians
3. Add in (yet) more scripting:
a) If Messana is attacked by Rome, Carthage will go to war
b) A the appropriate time a Kart-Hadeshim army will be spawned in Southern Spain, (if the war is not already lost), Iberia, the Arverni and the Aedui will all grant Kart-Hadeshim an Alliance and Military access, this army will follow a script which will move it into Italy
c) The Alliance and Military Access will be recinded in 200BC
4. Add in traits so that Factions far away from the Romans, (Such as Baktria, Arche Seluekia, Ptomelmaics, Pontos, Pahlava etc.) will lock characters and there armies inside their cities (removing all there movement points) until a historically appropriate date, -30 years
5. The Stats of the the Kart-Hadeshim, Macedonians, (Ilyrians), Eperiots and other factions not chosen at this time will be boosted to keep the Romans occupied and lead to a more challenging game.
6. Regional units for some factions will be removed to free model and unit space for Roman (and major opponents) extra units to lead to a more intensive feel

Any other Ideas?

Mr Jones
01-20-2006, 00:38
i can't imagine you will need to add many more units for romans, if you want to keep it historical, especially seeing as EB said that they were already going to add several regional units to italy. apart from that it sounds like it could be fun, albeit less open ended then vanilla EB.

helenos aiakides
08-31-2007, 09:22
llll

bovi
08-31-2007, 16:32
WTF kind of necromancy is this? Not only do you revive this rotting zombie, but have nothing new to add? :thumbsdown:

helenos aiakides
08-31-2007, 16:54
Two points.
1. You wouldn't of spoken to foot like that

2 you are keeping up here longer.

Sorry, i didn't mean to annoy anyone

bovi
09-01-2007, 12:01
Two points.
1. You wouldn't of spoken to foot like that
Of course not. He wouldn't make a nonsensical post in a year-old thread, bumping more recent and relevant threads down. I wouldn't have spoken to you that way either if you hadn't.

2 you are keeping up here longer.
Sorry, I don't understand what this means.

Bootsiuv
09-01-2007, 17:04
I think he is saying that you are keeping the thread up longer by responding. I still don't understand why it was bumped with nothing said.

Spoofa
09-01-2007, 19:15
maybe he wanted the idea revived but could think of no logical way to do it besides "lll" ?

just an idea.