PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the Gaesatae

Ranika
12-30-2005, 22:06
Since a lot of you appear to be having trouble in this area, I will now explain how to properly fight Gaesatae in this brief guide, so you don't make the common mistakes. Let's first clear some things up, and then move onto how to fight.

1. Gaesatae are not simply large, strong men, who fight nude. They are elite mercenaries who used a 'magic potion' (a copious amount of a painkilling drug) before battle. So powerful was it, that they were reknowned to rip out javelins that had struck them, and throw them back. Because of this, Gaesatae have two hitpoints, and incredibly high morale.

2. Gaesatae are frightening to infantry. First, they fight nude, which is, in this period, interpretted as incredibly brave, if somewhat insane. Two, they have a reputation. They are famous for decimating huge numbers of enemies when outnumbered, and rarely fleeing from combat, as well as immense skill with their javelins, for which they're named, and incredible hand-to-hand combat skills.

This means they are some of the toughest infantry in the game. If you experience huge numbers of infantry lost to the Gaesatae, they're doing their job right. If they are outnumbered and still win a fight against infantry, they're, again, doing their job right. Later versions may have Gaesatae with increased expense, making them more rare, but their stats are designed to make you hate and fear what they'll do.

So, how does one go about beating them? It's a two part attack.

1. Javelins. Javelins and throwing spears are the most lethal ranged weapons in the game, so they have the highest chance of taking one of the Gaesatae's hitpoints. Do not charge the Gaesatae. If you have a unit that throws before charging, turn it to fire at will. Do not attempt to engage the Gaesatae in a melee, it is suicidal. Skirmishers are good, skirmishing cavalry is better. If you haven't the horsemen to pull off part two, javelins are the way to go. If you have a lot of javelin units, you should be able to pick them apart. Long-ranged javelin throwers are best, like some of the Germanic and Celtic units have. You can augment with other range, of course, but you may wish to be using that elsewhere; I'm sure the enemy has more than just a single unit of Gaesatae.

2. Cavalry. Cavalry do not experience the lowered morale of infantry engaged in Gaesatae. Now weakened by the javelins, and likely with morale lowered a bit, try to strike the sides or rear of the Gaesatae, if it's viable. Weakened, the Gaesatae will die easier, and you may get a few in the charge. You have to be timely; it's best not to let Gaesatae reach your infantry, though, if you have some cheap infantry or mercenaries, or something disposable, you may use it to tie the Gaesatae up for a little while to let the cavalry do its work. Even in this case, do not attempt a prolonged melee. Routing units lower other unit morale, and you're using the cavalry largely because their morale will not be lowered.

Done correctly, the Gaesatae will rout. Make sure you leave them a way out though in most cases; don't attempt to surround them with infantry. They'll fight to the death and you will lose men needlessly. Following this pattern, you should be able to handle Gaesatae. Just keep in mind, you'll have other things on the field to fight. It's just unlikely they'll be as devestating.

GoreBag
12-30-2005, 23:00
I routed a unit of Gaesatae last night, actually, without too much trouble. I just treated them like the juggernauts they were and swarmed then with crap infantry, then had a light cavalry charge thrown in at their backside. This, coupled with the recent death of the Gaesatae's general and a few routing units near to their melee, was enough for them to turn tail and face slaughter from the cavalry who had already engaged them.

Really, guys, it's not that hard. Just use your head.

Chester
12-30-2005, 23:03
I draw your attention to the website below. Notice that Gaesatae dead on the ground with a javelin in his chest. So they do work!

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=48497&TabID=425714

Also notice the hail of javelins coming at the Gaesatae.

Rodion Romanovich
12-30-2005, 23:07
I agree, they're not overpowered. But I must admit I was a little shocked the first time because I was unprepared for them. I found routing the other enemy units first with a simple pin+flank or similar technique, then using the entire army to take care of the gaesatae last was the best technique for dealing with them. And if necessary send some of the cavalry after the other enemies routing so they don't turn around and join the battle again immediately. But now if the gaesatae are accompanied by good cavalry and regular infantry, they'd be a hard nut to crack.

Ranika
12-30-2005, 23:48
I agree, they're not overpowered. But I must admit I was a little shocked the first time because I was unprepared for them.

Honestly, I think this is where most of the complaints stem from. I don't think a lot of players are actually prepared for them, and don't know what they are. There are a few ways to kill them, but I find I get the least casualties with javelin-cavalry combinations. However, you don't always have that luxury, and cavalry is expensive. Isolating them is always a good thing if you can. You can mob them with junk-infantry, but units are expensive, even junk, and it's nice to pull things off with only a few casualties (unless you think that battle might end your current war, or if you're fighting rebels).

The Blind King of Bohemia
12-30-2005, 23:51
I was fighting the unit with two units of hastati , a unit of princs and another couple, some light infantry and they were getting battered by the big celts and then i crashed two units of equites in the rear and they did nothing and i think they lost a couple of men. I have also seen them enter a javelin storm and barely lost any men and we are talking alot of units here.

I mean i know these fellas are tough and have a shield but if several scores of javelins are hitting your naked frame they should be putting you down.

SwordsMaster
12-30-2005, 23:58
I'm just curious, but Gaesatae seem to be one of the most popular units to pop up in rebellions in central Italy. I mean if they are elite mercenaries and all, shouldn't they be rare for the rebels too?

Ranika
12-31-2005, 00:29
SwordsMaster; I've already noted that concern elsewhere, and yes, they show up too often.

BKB; that sounds about right. They don't take much damage in a melee usually, and hence why softening them with javelins is important. However, it also sounds about right with javelins, depending on which units; they shouldn't lose too many that quickly. Were these two seperate incidents or one? If it was one incident, it was a fluke, if it was two seperate incidents, those are what should have happened.

Conqueror
01-02-2006, 19:36
I've only faced them once, in a custom battle. I was playing Getai vs the Aedui, who had 1 unit of Gaesatae. First, I thought about using a Sarmatian merc unit to lure them to a chase, but that turned out impossible because they were surrounded by so much other gallic infantry that I could never get cavalry anywhere near them. What I did was order all my archers to focus fire on the Gaesatae. It worked very well, for they spent quite some time lugging javelins before finally closing to melee with my line. By the time they did so, they had been shot so full of arrows that they routed very soon after attacking my phalanx. They didn't seem overpowered to me, and like I said I never even had the chance to use cavalry against them.

jerby
01-03-2006, 17:50
I was fighting the unit with two units of hastati , a unit of princs and another couple, some light infantry and they were getting battered by the big celts and then i crashed two units of equites in the rear and they did nothing and i think they lost a couple of men. I have also seen them enter a javelin storm and barely lost any men and we are talking alot of units here.

I mean i know these fellas are tough and have a shield but if several scores of javelins are hitting your naked frame they should be putting you down.
well, you casn't expect a unit that eats up infantry like that to just roll oevr and play dead when your send 3 volley's of javs...but some javs will definatly take away a hitpoint...1 down, one to go..

CorporateSlave
01-03-2006, 19:23
I found that my experience confirms what Ranika is saying: skirmisher cavalry and javelliners work best against the Gaesatae. In my Casse campaign I am mostly using the Caledonians for javeliners, although they don't seem to be that effective against the Gaesatae - case in point in the last battle: 3 units of Caledonians empty all of their missiles into one unit of Gaesatae and only killed 3 men. At the same time skirmisher cavalry, like one of the Epos (forget the exact name) is stellar. I was able to kill off 3/4 of the 40 men unit with one unit of epos at zero casualty! Anyone who've fought against these naked buggers will appriciate how satisfying it is to see them dead on the battlefield!!

I wonder if shooting them with war machines, like catapults, will do the trick as well? Too bad Casse will never get that far..

At the same time, any attempt to smash them with infantry or even chariots proved unsuccessful. These are truly crazy men, who are not afraid to die. My only suggestion is to make them a bit more rare. Once I fought an army of Aedui staffed entirely of Gaesatae, at ten units. They were unstoppable killing machines. Would be nice to have a limit, of say one or two per stack, no more.

By the way, regarding the oversized scrotum - I find it quite startling. It makes me wonder if the design was intentional to show their aptitude for a good fight, or a social commentary on the personal life of the pink devils - what woman would want to date a crazed, drugged-out blood junkie?? Maybe that's why they are so ruthless in their wrath!

econ21
01-04-2006, 02:05
I managed to hold two units of Gaesatae with two units of early triari this evening. I suspect other good phalanxes could do the same. It was fairly easy as the gaesatae were easily detached from the main Gaulish army and so could be engaged head to head by the triari. It was then like a Mexican standoff - neither seemed to really hurt the other, but it looked like it could go on all night. It gave me the time to throw some javelins and charge some cavalry in their rear - even so in one scrap, my cavalry (Roman generals with 2HP) got awfully mauled down to 11 men. Perhaps more significantly the triari bought me time to rout the rest of the army so that eventually the gaesatae's morale crumbled.

I've been struggling to find a use for my triari - too slow to suit my still of play and certainly too slow to be be a counter to cavalry - but now I may have found one.

Antagonist
01-04-2006, 02:19
I have also found phalanxes to be reasonably effective at "pinning" Gaesatae (as long as they engage from the front, of course) I had a lot of trouble at first capturing the southern independent regions of Gaul because of the Gaesatae units, but by utilising Mori Gaesum to pin them I was able to eliminate them as Ranika suggested (moving behind them, some javelin fire followed by a cavalry charge) without too much difficulty.

Personally, my perception of them is that while they can be shocking at first, they aren't really overpowered once you learn how to deal with them, however actually using them yourself is another matter. Because the AI does not know how to counter them effectively it is very easy to win battles with Gaesatae - playing as Aedui, following an expensive campaign against the Sweboz I have two veteran Gaesatae units, one with 9 gold chevrons, and it is a great temptation not to simply launch them at the enemy, no matter how numerous, and expect comfortable victory.

Antagonist

Ergion
01-04-2006, 06:26
In this great battle I had upload a time ago you can see how gaesetae can be defeated easely if you trowing javelins to their back.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9941695/maravilla.rpy.html

SwordsMaster
01-05-2006, 11:54
:furious3: In my (ongoing) roman campaign, 2 units of Gaesatae shredded to bits a 5 unit army of light infantry... They were just passing through!

jerby
01-05-2006, 15:39
:furious3: In my (ongoing) roman campaign, 2 units of Gaesatae shredded to bits a 5 unit army of light infantry... They were just passing through!
nothing new...

Danest
01-11-2006, 21:03
German generals + bodyguards also out-stat the naked guys (I've been playing sweboz, and it seems a gold-chevron sweboz general with morale boosts and a few command stars can kill _anything_). Starting to feel guilty using them (with a defense over 30). Only weakness is no missiles, I guess.

PSYCHO V
01-18-2006, 13:36

:laugh4: ..and you find that unusual? Are you familiar with the fate of the likes of Boadicea, etc?

SirPoot
01-18-2006, 17:00
I draw your attention to the website below. Notice that Gaesatae dead on the ground with a javelin in his chest. So they do work!

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=48497&TabID=425714

Also notice the hail of javelins coming at the Gaesatae.

the Gaesatae in the websites looks fit and strong. In comparison, those in EB look......plain fat.....

PSYCHO V
01-19-2006, 01:18
the Gaesatae in the websites looks fit and strong. In comparison, those in EB look......plain fat.....

Fat ..I dont understand? You are looking at EB right..the guys with the stomach muscles showing?

Dayve
01-19-2006, 02:49
That's what i thought Psycho... :inquisitive:

jerby
01-19-2006, 16:34
Fat ..I dont understand? You are looking at EB right..the guys with the stomach muscles showing?
soem people need to udneratdn that that's the way a muscular body looks without the gym...not like Conan the Barbarian....

Dux Corvanus
01-19-2006, 17:09
I would fight that "Celtic Warrior Queen" (?) at anytime. In fact, I would fight her four or five times... :laugh4:

Wandarah
01-20-2006, 04:38
If you ask me, this is a lot of wishful thinking. The gaesatae were usually pretty easily slaughtered most of the time. I cant actually find a single account of them turning a battle, or doing anything but making a lot of noise and throwing thier lives away.

Anyway wanna solidfy this myth for me?

PSYCHO V
01-20-2006, 04:44
soem people need to udneratdn that that's the way a muscular body looks without the gym...not like Conan the Barbarian....

I was wondering when someone would bring this up.

For starters, the "artistic impression" in that depiction is very close to what we have done in EB. Just that our units have helmets and are not as loose / animated due to the game limitations. And whilst the Gaesatae are muscular and toned..they are a far cry from Arnold and the Conan. They are just big, well built, fit blokes.

Speaking of 'bringing up' ...

~;p..I do know a few things about the physiology in this regard...the unit is kinda modelled on my own bod (and Vercingetrix's ...bits).. and I dont go to a "gym"..well not anymore. Just do regular exercise and keep fit. Nothing more than these guys would have done. You can be buffed and toned without being a gym junky or taking "enhancements".

My wife was looking at the Gaesatae the other day and the penny dropped.."now I know why you were parading naked in front of the mirror" says she. :inquisitive:

... and if that bit of info hasn't ruined the EB experience for you I don't know what will? :ahh: :fainting:

:2thumbsup:

paullus
01-22-2006, 06:36
Sheesh

Dux Corvanus
01-22-2006, 20:06
Yikes! :help:

Jebus
01-22-2006, 23:23
So this means that it is your penis we keep seeing in the game, mirrored thousands of times?

There has to be a law against this kind of thing.

PSYCHO V
01-23-2006, 00:58
So this means that it is your penis we keep seeing in the game, mirrored thousands of times?.

No, my arse... Vercingetrix's (Modding Godfather's) "bits"

There has to be a law against this kind of thing.

~:) Probably. Neither of us are professional artists so necessity dictated that we needed subject matter. Verci is still having counselling... all that time modelling blokee bits wierded him out.

Ah..the lengths to which EB goes to get the best / most accurate product possible for the community! One for the team.

.... and I'd like to clarify at this juncture that at no point was the aforementioned subject matter shared in any form between us.

my2bob

Dayve
01-23-2006, 01:37
Lies! You just did it as a way to get a picture of your behind on the computer screens of thousands of people!

And unbann me from the .com! I want to talk about the new TW game there...

paullus
01-23-2006, 03:31
you know, i will say that the buns on the gaesatae are the most amusing part: when you finally route them and the ones killed routing end up face down, so you have a hundred round buttocks poking up in the air. Cracks me up (no pun intended...well, ok, it was intended).

Ludens
01-24-2006, 13:58
If you ask me, this is a lot of wishful thinking. The gaesatae were usually pretty easily slaughtered most of the time. I cant actually find a single account of them turning a battle, or doing anything but making a lot of noise and throwing thier lives away.

Anyway wanna solidfy this myth for me?
The only time I know that the Gaesatae messed up badly was the battle of Telamon, where they tried to intimidate the Roman velites. However, the velites held their nerve and pelted them with javelins.

However, I have to admit I know very little about Gaesatae victories as well.

PSYCHO V
01-24-2006, 14:52
you know, i will say that the buns on the gaesatae are the most amusing part: when you finally route them and the ones killed routing end up face down, so you have a hundred round buttocks poking up in the air. Cracks me up (no pun intended...well, ok, it was intended).

:laugh4: :2thumbsup:

Dux Corvanus
01-24-2006, 15:21
In fact, I offered my penis to pose as a model, but it didn't qualify: it is always ready for battle.
:balloon2:

So they had to do with these recently cold-water showered guys... not threatening at all. :no:

paullus
01-24-2006, 18:00
Now I see why Dux' title is "Egomaniac Sexpert"

Trithemius
02-21-2006, 22:58
I've been struggling to find a use for my triari - too slow to suit my still of play and certainly too slow to be be a counter to cavalry - but now I may have found one.

Better make sure all the gaesatae-using nations have been swept under the rug before you get too reformed then (although I suppose you'd have to be trying deliberately in order to fail to do this).

Reverend Joe
02-22-2006, 04:36
In fact, I offered my penis to pose as a model, but it didn't qualify: it is always ready for battle.
:balloon2:
Way too much information. :help:

jerby
02-22-2006, 14:07
The only time I know that the Gaesatae messed up badly was the battle of Telamon, where they tried to intimidate the Roman velites. However, the velites held their nerve and pelted them with javelins.

However, I have to admit I know very little about Gaesatae victories as well.
the morale of this story:
don't mess with the man who has a pointy stick when your bits are hanging out...

David_VI
02-22-2006, 16:59
I've only experianced the Gaesatae once so far, when I first tried EB, first attempt as Casse..

I outnumbered them and it was the last settlement left as the Arverni.

They just slaughtered me, the units they were fighting ran, then the next unit next to them ran, then the next, a chain reaction of routing :( So a crushing loss.

Over 2000 dead :| in a roughly 3000 army V one much smaller!

PSYCHO V
02-22-2006, 18:48
The Gaesatae aren’t really that tough. They are great troops early but many later troops can go toe to toe with them. Besides, they are quite prone to missile fire ...as per history ...as when one runs around, parading naked.

If able, pin them with an armoured phalanx type unit and then get your light troops to shower them with missiles. The Gaesatae will get wasted whilst your own troops weather the storm. The Greco-Macedonian factions have been chopping up whole units of my Gaesatae using this tactic.

If you don't have a phalanx, the next best method is avoid melee altogether. They like to get up and personal, don't give them the chance. Again, shower them with missiles.

Failing all the above, rush them from the sides and rear. They will rout eventually.

Good luck.

my2bob

toxicseagull
03-28-2006, 16:34
im experiancing them quite a lot, usually at least 2 units in a arverni army with bronze upgrades and 1/2 experiance as the casse.

i pin them with calawre's (i have 2/3 in a army just to deal with these gits after a horrifying bridge battle with my army being mala thingys and bolothras (sp) i got pwned by 2 units of evil naked men) and relised chariots are my friends (i disgarded them before from RTR/RTW) and give a moral bonus/scare infantry. and when the rest of my army has taken out the enemy, i gather round :)

toxicseagull
03-28-2006, 16:36
~edit~

hsimoorb
03-31-2006, 18:19
I am just starting a war with the arveni. They've united gaul, and untill now I've ignored them. Now they have all kinds of stacks running around with plenty of gaesatae to go around. I am holding them just outside of massalia right now, it've very common for one unit of gaesatae to go though all 5 of my hastati, 4 of my pricipes, and still ave the juice to fight my triarri when I try to hold the on a bridge. Bloody gauls! Though I still would not say they're overpowered. It's a good challenge fighting them. Otherwise I'd be mopping up gaul right now. It's just nice that SOMEBODY in the world can manage to break my first line once in a while!

orwell
04-16-2006, 03:59
Beyond the fact that I didn't install the patch on the battlefield so their always naked, I rather like them. I pinned a single unit down with 3 units of triarii, after a assualt by principe, a light snack, and they ate the triarii too. There may have been a small chance of winning but by the time they were each down to about 12 on normal settings a unit of something with javelins showed up. Its so nice to lose a well fought battle once in a while, only autoresolve could screw something up in RTR most of the time.

vizigothe
04-17-2006, 01:35
I personally like the Gaesatae. I have had many a harrowing battle with them. The worst was when I was trying to push throw the open gates of a city to take the city and the AI was smart and snuck 2 units of the Gaesatae out through another door and was able to charge into the rear of my army. I was devasated and ended up losing that battle.

Xanthippus
04-17-2006, 01:41
I just empty all of my ranged ammunition on them and it will wittle down their health. Then they get close enough to run into a wall of pikes or have a wall of javelins thrown at them, and it usually does the job.

Moros
04-17-2006, 14:08
I just empty all of my ranged ammunition on them and it will wittle down their health. Then they get close enough to run into a wall of pikes or have a wall of javelins thrown at them, and it usually does the job.
yup that's how I do it and how it shuld be done IMO. every time I face them I get scared think "oh no what will happen" but after every batttle I think "are they getting weaker evry battle?". I guess they've got a cold, that's what you get when you walk around naked it the snow.

Xanthippus
04-17-2006, 18:17
I guess they've got a cold, that's what you get when you walk around naked it the snow.

Yea, that and other things... :sweatdrop: I do agree that they get easier every battle, I guess you just have to get used to them, they annihalated my infantry the first few battles.

Avicenna
04-22-2006, 08:20
What would the KH or Makedonians be doing all the way over at Gaul? I'd understand why they would fight the Getai.. but the Gauls really are nowhere near them and are of no interest to them.

Teleklos Archelaou
04-22-2006, 17:07
It's possible for some coastal Hellenic cities to "join up" and ally with the KH - even those at Massilia and Emporion. They could run into them there. But also I've seen the Gauls make their way down into the Balkans a few times (though it doesn't happen often).

Simmons
04-23-2006, 01:07
What would the KH or Makedonians be doing all the way over at Gaul? I'd understand why they would fight the Getai.. but the Gauls really are nowhere near them and are of no interest to them.
Even the Seleukids can fight them you just have to make your way to Ankyra.

Orb
04-23-2006, 13:13
I fought a few units in Ankyra as Hayasdan.

According to a friend who plays Casse, you can just run chariots through the Gaesatae to rout them. Haven't checked yet.

Avicenna
04-24-2006, 19:04
If they're the monsters everyone's saying they are, the chariots are probably going to be ripped to bits just like everything else.

Moros
04-26-2006, 19:27
If they're the monsters everyone's saying they are, the chariots are probably going to be ripped to bits just like everything else.
Never listen to something everybody says. How more people claim something to be true how further from the truth it usually is.

iberus_generalis
06-17-2006, 22:15
killing this guys is extremely easy...Get an army with 5units of triarii...make them screen your forces...thaem..get two units, one on each side of the bar of triarii..then sweep them off the field with a glourious flanking!! easy and clean cuz the triarii don't even sweat it against this guys..as soon as any unit(even Elefants) get into the Dead Zone of my triarii..i have the battle won...i use the manipular tactic, altered so that it can be used a little like the Hellenic Hammer and Anvil tactic..some times i rather improvise and kill the gaesatae with cavalry from behind, although i dont fancy getting enemies from the rear..there's no real glory in that..just slaughter...

Simmons
06-18-2006, 04:42
killing this guys is extremely easy...Get an army with 5units of triarii...make them screen your forces...thaem..get two units, one on each side of the bar of triarii..then sweep them off the field with a glourious flanking!! easy and clean cuz the triarii don't even sweat it against this guys..as soon as any unit(even Elefants) get into the Dead Zone of my triarii..i have the battle won...i use the manipular tactic, altered so that it can be used a little like the Hellenic Hammer and Anvil tactic..some times i rather improvise and kill the gaesatae with cavalry from behind, although i dont fancy getting enemies from the rear..there's no real glory in that..just slaughter...
Just so you know early triarii are overpowered and will have lower stats in the next built there just a little to invulnerable :2thumbsup:

Kralizec
06-18-2006, 23:03
If the early triarii still use the RTW phalanx in the next build, it won't make that much of a difference though.

Yes they are, remember the Galatians?
There's a unit of them in the rebel town Tylis. In the last campaign I played I watched the Getai repeatedly send huge stacks towards it that got beaten every time. By the time I gave it a try there were just 5 naked men left with silver chevrons, and they got annihalated by my slingers in a few volleys. Autocalcing would probably have been disastrous though, especially since I played on VH difficulty.

Simmons
06-19-2006, 03:32
If the early triarii still use the RTW phalanx in the next build, it won't make that much of a difference though.
Actually should they be in that formation I would have though they would use the new overhand animation.

The Triarii still continue to fight like the classical hoplite of the 5th and 4th century BC Etruscan Roman armies

Geoffrey S
06-19-2006, 17:11
Yes they are, remember the Galatians?
There's a unit of them in the rebel town Tylis. In the last campaign I played I watched the Getai repeatedly send huge stacks towards it that got beaten every time. By the time I gave it a try there were just 5 naked men left with silver chevrons, and they got annihalated by my slingers in a few volleys. Autocalcing would probably have been disastrous though, especially since I played on VH difficulty.
Heh. Playing as Makedonia I besieged Tylis, they had tons of Gaesatae which was worrying. Then along came a relieving force of some peltasts and taxeis hoplites, which attacked my force. Gaesatae reinforcements never turned up and captured Tylis without a fight. One hell of an anti-climax, it'd have been the first time I'd faced them.

Anyway to prevent this bug from happening again? Does it help to switch the unlimited men on battlefield preference to TRUE?

NeoSpartan
06-19-2006, 18:09
I haven't faced the Gaesatae yet, BUT I have used to a great effect.

BUT a general pit if your fighting a stonger infantry than yours, especially if your playing VH/VH or H/H: ALWAYS fight on the HIGH GROUND and if your a Barbarian fight in THE BUSHES (or at least try).

Teleklos Archelaou
06-19-2006, 19:21
It stinks - but it can happen in vanilla too. I really hate when that happens - some people can switch the preference to True like you said, but for some cpu's, it will override it and push it back to false.

paullus
06-20-2006, 00:02
Speaking of Tylis and Ankyra (previous page), where are the Scordisci? The troops in Scorcouw are all Illyrians, but shouldn't there instead be a mix of Illyrian levies and mid- to upper-level Gauls?

Elthore
06-20-2006, 04:27
whats this unlimited troop feature?

forces reinforcements to come?:help:

paullus
06-20-2006, 04:38
Its in preferences.txt, and supposedly allows you to make sure that all armies after the initial two still show up at the start of the battle, rather than being delayed. However, the engine seems to override your preference if it senses your computer will have a hard enough time with just those two armies.

Musopticon?
06-24-2006, 13:30
I was wondering when someone would bring this up.

For starters, the "artistic impression" in that depiction is very close to what we have done in EB. Just that our units have helmets and are not as loose / animated due to the game limitations. And whilst the Gaesatae are muscular and toned..they are a far cry from Arnold and the Conan. They are just big, well built, fit blokes.

Speaking of 'bringing up' ...

~;p..I do know a few things about the physiology in this regard...the unit is kinda modelled on my own bod (and Vercingetrix's ...bits)

By the way, regarding the oversized scrotum - I find it quite startling. It makes me wonder if the design was intentional to show their aptitude for a good fight, or a social commentary on the personal life of the pink devils - what woman would want to date a crazed, drugged-out blood junkie?? Maybe that's why they are so ruthless in their wrath!

:inquisitive:

Yeah, right. Ok, I just had to start a new account with a gay joke. I mean, that's the norm, right?

*ahem*
About the crotch monsters of the far west, is the huge contigent of them in Ankyra intentional and if so why? What is so great about Ankyra that it's guarded by such powerful force, I mean 6 units of gaesatae along with a bunch of cannon fodder and leuce epos, ffs!?

The obvious answer would probably be that you can get access to Galatian AOR from the town. So, do you? And what government level do you need to recruit Kuarothoroi?