PDA

View Full Version : Spear and sword question.

the_handsome_viking
12-31-2005, 23:49
Some units appear to have an overhead phalanx spear formation, however they switch to swords from time to time too, personally I have nothing against this, and think its pretty cool, especially when you see certain units charging towards their enemies with a spear, then going into sword combat, however I was wondering if there was a way to actually control what weapon they would use, or if the artificial intelligence will decide which weapon suits which purpose best.
or is it a bug?

This is referring to the Celtic and Germanic factions by the way.

GoreBag
01-01-2006, 00:14
Are the units in question spear-chuckers?

the_handsome_viking
01-01-2006, 00:16
Are the units in question spear-chuckers?

As in skirmishers? if yes, no they are not.

Ill find the names.

the_handsome_viking
01-01-2006, 00:28
http://tinypic.com/jhrfbn

the_handsome_viking
01-01-2006, 00:31
I was just wondering why they sometimes fight with spears and sometimes fight with swords, in the old rome total war it usually happened with phalanx formations that had been broken up,usually along the flanks, but here you see these guys charge in with spears, and then decide to either use their swords or spears to fight.

Whats weird is that they both start with swords until they get close to the enemy then their spear appears...

wouldnt it be more likely that they would carry their spear to the enemy and pull out their sword for close combat?

LorDBulA
01-01-2006, 22:45
Some not phalanx unit both on foot and cavalry have 2 weapons.
You can switch betwean weapons using standart right and alt-right click.

Sahran
01-01-2006, 22:49
Some not phalanx unit both on foot and cavalry have 2 weapons.
You can switch betwean weapons using standart right and alt-right click.

But traditionally it was impossible to have two melee weapons on a footsoldier. Laca's numidian regulars break this, but are required to have the same animation with both weapons, so their gladius is only used in a stabbing motion, the same as it's spear.

These..these are definately peculiar.

QwertyMIDX
01-01-2006, 23:23
The way we managed to give these guys both overhand spears and swords without being RTW phalanxs (most of them should fight as Classical Phalanxs or shield walls, use guard mode for that effect until we port...) makes them do strange things with their weapons at times. Still it's a sacrfice we were willing to make.

the_handsome_viking
01-02-2006, 01:42
So it's being worked on?

QwertyMIDX
01-02-2006, 10:19
Well those formations should be better if we port to BI, the weapon switching issue will likely remain unfixable though, although it may look better with a unit in sheild wall formation, it will always exist at the very least when they're out of the formation.

the_handsome_viking
01-03-2006, 01:49
Well those formations should be better if we port to BI, the weapon switching issue will likely remain unfixable though, although it may look better with a unit in sheild wall formation, it will always exist at the very least when they're out of the formation.

Youre thinking about porting it to BI?

QwertyMIDX
01-03-2006, 02:03
We are debating it, it would give us another faction and the ability to have a faction emerge. We'll see how big the hurdles are though.

TB666
01-03-2006, 19:21
So far my units only use spears even when they aren't even equipped with it.
Like a merc I hired yesterday as Sweboz. They only had swords but yet when they attacked they suddenely all had spears.
Kinda disappointed really:no:

the_handsome_viking
01-04-2006, 02:04
We are debating it, it would give us another faction and the ability to have a faction emerge. We'll see how big the hurdles are though.

The next big project ideally could be a historically accurate representation of the fall of Rome via the barbarian invasian addon, just on the subject of Barbarian invasion...

I recall you guys saying that Barbarian Invasion might be hard to mod, did this change?

Geoffrey S
01-04-2006, 12:31
We are debating it, it would give us another faction and the ability to have a faction emerge.
Do you mean one faction and an additional faction to emerge, or would the emerging faction be one of the existing ones?

QwertyMIDX
01-05-2006, 02:21
I just meant generally that we could use emerging factions :laugh4:.