PDA

View Full Version : Typos/Grammar Thread (ALL factions)

Kull
01-01-2006, 19:57
Please use this thread to post any typos or grammar problems you find. I am particularly interested in those which wouldn't be caught with spellcheck software, such as meat-meet or led-lead. You can either post screen shots or text (if the latter, be sure to identify 1) the typo, and 2) the text box in which it appeared).

For some examples, please see THIS THREAD (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58663). Thanks!!

NOTE: If you have previously posted this kind of problem in a thread different from the one above, just add a link to your earlier post.

hoom
01-02-2006, 02:54
The 'harms lenght' one has an additional error in the second word ie should be 'length'.

Ingame 'Getai' is spelt 'Getia' I have noticed this on tool tips including on the custom battle setup which could be an intentional tense (or somesuch) change but looks on the face of it to be a transposition.

Not strictly a grammar/typo but it feels to me that there is too much usage of 'Elan' in unit descriptions.
Elan this elan that elan the other, it seems a bit cheapened when everyone is fighting with a rare level of elan ~:shock:

Elite African Pikemen are referred to in their description as eg 'Elite African Pikeman are...' which is not really right

Simetrical
01-02-2006, 08:46
This is all I've collected so far.

In Iberian Caetratii and Iberian Equites Caetratii, possibly as well as other Iberian troops, "ability" is spelled "hability" and "constituted" "constitued".
Tons of typos for Iberian Scutarii. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1019536&postcount=13)
Ragon Sauramatae Vaezdaettae should have a "not" in "They are, however, suitable nor prepared..."
Hrussáthêwáz: unuasual, aniquilate, eficient

Not strictly a grammar/typo but it feels to me that there is too much usage of 'Elan' in unit descriptions.
Elan this elan that elan the other, it seems a bit cheapened when everyone is fighting with a rare level of elanPlus it should be élan.

Rodion Romanovich
01-02-2006, 11:26
I noticed in battle the equites use a "u" instead of a "v", which is inconsistent with the policy elsewhere. Same goes for "equites singulares" and "equites consulares".

Kull
01-02-2006, 18:08
The 'harms lenght' one has an additional error in the second word ie should be 'length'.

Done

Ingame 'Getai' is spelt 'Getia' I have noticed this on tool tips including on the custom battle setup which could be an intentional tense (or somesuch) change but looks on the face of it to be a transposition.

I need some help here. Exactly what were you doing when this spelling appeared? A screenshot would be useful, if possible.

Elan this elan that elan the other, it seems a bit cheapened when everyone is fighting with a rare level of elan ~:shock:

Don't get me started. Suffice it to say, this level of editing is what I call "third pass" - first we deal with spelling errors, second we fix grammar, and only after all that is cleaned up will we look into rewriting the descriptions. Just so you understand - the buildings text file alone occupies over 600 pages of text in my editor, and it will take many days just to perform a 1 & 2 pass edit on that file. I can scarcely even imagine how long the 3rd pass will take.

Elite African Pikemen are referred to in their description as eg 'Elite African Pikeman are...' which is not really right

Done

Thanks for posting this!!

Kull
01-02-2006, 18:25
This is all I've collected so far.
In Iberian Caetratii and Iberian Equites Caetratii, possibly as well as other Iberian troops, "ability" is spelled "hability" and "constituted" "constitued".
Tons of typos for Iberian Scutarii. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1019536&postcount=13)

Done.

Ragon Sauramatae Vaezdaettae should have a "not" in "They are, however, suitable nor prepared..."

Done.....but that presents another question. Compare your spelling of this unit with the one in EXPORT_UNITS.TXT (below) - which is correct?

Ragon Sauromatae Uaezdaettae

Hrussáthêwáz: unuasual, aniquilate, eficient

Done

Thanks for posting these!

Kull
01-02-2006, 19:29
I noticed in battle the equites use a "u" instead of a "v", which is inconsistent with the policy elsewhere. Same goes for "equites singulares" and "equites consulares".

We'll fix this in the titles, but will use "u" instead of "v" in descriptions so as not to torture the tongues of EB players. :book:

hoom
01-02-2006, 23:25
I need some help here. Exactly what were you doing when this spelling appeared? A screenshot would be useful, if possible.Tooltips.
Campaign selection screen, custom battle setup & in battle when you put your mouse over the unit/faction.

There are a bunch of other similar oddities in these same tooltips eg Romani show as Romans

Sim :p

There are already several mentions of tooltip text being wrong in the known bugs thread so I think there should be more of a general review of faction naming in tooltips rather than specific error fixes

Kull
01-03-2006, 00:59
Tooltips.
Campaign selection screen, custom battle setup & in battle when you put your mouse over the unit/faction.

There are a bunch of other similar oddities in these same tooltips eg Romani show as Romans

Whew - that took a while to track down. Turns out that different text files contribute the descriptions you see on that customized battle screen, and while two are synchronized (both have the "Getai" typo), the third is not. Thanks for getting more specific - that really helped me track this down!

There are already several mentions of tooltip text being wrong in the known bugs thread so I think there should be more of a general review of faction naming in tooltips rather than specific error fixes

That's pretty much my edit philosophy - attack each of the text files individually without regard to the posting of individual spelling/grammar errors. However, that approach does not catch naming discrepancies BETWEEN files, and it also doesn't (usually) allow me to find correctly spelled words that are incorrect in the context of a sentence (hence my emphasis on the reporting of errors like "meet-meat", "quite-quiet", and "where-were" - to name just a few)

Again, thanks for helping out!

hoom
01-03-2006, 12:34
My pleasure :)

Simetrical
01-04-2006, 09:25
Ingame 'Getai' is spelt 'Getia' I have noticed this on tool tips including on the custom battle setup which could be an intentional tense (or somesuch) change but looks on the face of it to be a transposition."Getia" is the name of the region, "Getai" is the name of the people (basically meaning "Getians"). Both are correct in their appropriate contexts.

Malrubius
01-04-2006, 12:45
Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus in Roma: has "romanstate"

The Roman Fabricae description (MIC building) has "labour consuming", should probably be "labour-consuming"

Antagonist
01-04-2006, 13:21
Not a spelling-mistake, but I think this is a typo:

The descriptions for the Romani Cohortes Reformata and Antesignani contain this sentence:

Historically, the organization of the legion changed at the end of the 1st century BC and all but the heavy infantry disappeared. The Hastati, Principes and Triarii were now all equipped in the same manner and only their names remained.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.

Antagonist

Teleklos Archelaou
01-05-2006, 20:56
Someone just posted this image - and there is a typo in the trait description:

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ebsattagydia7kx.jpg

Just do a search in the file for "were stricken be" and change it to "were stricken by".

Malrubius
01-05-2006, 21:41
What? A trait typo? Noooo! :oops:

Fixed for the future.

Teleklos Archelaou
01-05-2006, 21:53
I think that was causing some of those numerous trait CTD's, by the way. ~;)

ScionTheWorm
01-05-2006, 22:02
"Getia" is the name of the region, "Getai" is the name of the people (basically meaning "Getians"). Both are correct in their appropriate contexts.
but Getia under the faction icon waiting for next turn is wrong, right?

Malrubius
01-05-2006, 22:12
I think that was causing some of those numerous trait CTD's, by the way. ~;)

If it had been in edct instead of export_VnVs, I'd believe it! :wall:

MeroFromVero
01-06-2006, 00:28
The Pahlavan building Basic Farming contains the phrase "The Pahlava have taken that a steppe further..." should be a step further, right?

Kull
01-06-2006, 01:13
The Pahlavan building Basic Farming contains the phrase "The Pahlava have taken that a steppe further..." should be a step further, right?

:laugh4: Duly noted....sounds sorta freudian, given the location of their farms.

Yes - Caught & squashed!

.....Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.

Hmmm. Good Question - I'll pass this along to the Romani team & get their take.

Someone just posted this image - and there is a typo in the trait description:

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ebsattagydia7kx.jpg

Just do a search in the file for "were stricken be" and change it to "were stricken by".

There's a second typo in there: Alexandros's s/b Alexandros'

Kull
01-06-2006, 01:33
Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus in Roma: has "romanstate"

Fixed (along with two others)

The Roman Fabricae description (MIC building) has "labour consuming", should probably be "labour-consuming"

Changed to "labour intensive"

Three63
01-06-2006, 07:52
Typo with building in Kallatis (A town on the west side of the black sea). Avemvs Lacvs (or something like that, it's a lake building) has a typo saying its 'one of the most beautiful sites in Italy', seeing that this town is a ways away from Italy I assume it's a typo or mix-match.

Teleklos Archelaou
01-06-2006, 15:31
It shouldn't be there at all and will be removed. We have no idea how it got magically transported there. :laugh4:

Jebus
01-06-2006, 15:36
All elephant units seem to still have the underscores in their name.

e.g. 'African_Elephants'

Also, deities are on several occasions called 'God' instead of 'Gob'. Please fix this, before my father smites you.

Kull
01-07-2006, 06:51
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.

Good catch. The Roman team has confirmed your finding and I've changed the text from "end" to "beginning".

All elephant units seem to still have the underscores in their name.

e.g. 'African_Elephants'

Thanks! Fixed.

Kull
01-12-2006, 19:58
(Bump) This is the official thread for reporting spelling and grammar problems to the EB Editing team. And based on the lack of entries, it's either:

1) EB's text has achieved near-god-like perfection

or

2) You OB testers are slackin' on me big time!

:viking:

Simetrical
01-13-2006, 07:28
I don't think so. Did you check with the appropriate people, Kull?

Kull
01-13-2006, 09:03
I don't think so. Did you check with the appropriate people, Kull?

Nope. I believe this comes from SHARED.TXT, and I changed it since everything else I'd seen up to that time referred to the Dacians as "Getai", not "Getia". Technically I may be wrong here (since Getia is the nation, Getai the people), but every person who plays this mod from now until the end of time is going to be commenting on the "Getia" typo. Is there ANY other spelling we can come up with that's historically correct and not an apparent transposition? Getaio, Getaia, Getaie? :ballchain:

JayS
01-13-2006, 18:15
https://img463.imageshack.us/img463/7665/typosephebeiakaiskeuotheke3zx.th.jpg (https://img463.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typosephebeiakaiskeuotheke3zx.jpg)

Nymos Symmachos duplicates, "has been improved" should be have been improved, "however" shouldn't be there (or stick a comma after it), and there shouldn't be a comma before that (or change that to which).

Edit: Description for Megaron Dioiketou says "A Dioiketes is not chosen from the lower Hellenic families or gods forbid, one of the native ones are not trustworthy enough, as..." which doesn't make grammatical sense.

Comma in "better stronger walls" in description for Teichea Lithea.

Tomb of Alexander: siezed should be seized.

Syllogos kai Skeuotheke Strateumatos: "arms and armor is often stored" should be "are often stored."

Practice Range: "which also needs" should be "which also need."

Pyramids: "their surface were covered" should be "was covered."

Metalleia: posess should be possess.

Malrubius
01-16-2006, 11:28
In the Small Nomadic Settlement, it says,
However, they wouldn’t fair well against either extremes of an all infantry people or their cavalry heavy relatives

Lord Hammerschmidt
01-17-2006, 00:12
In the description for the Mega Phrourion, "innside" appears in the first or second sentence. I'm fairly sure this was in a Pontos description, not sure if it appears for any other factions.

Kull
01-20-2006, 05:29
Nymos Symmachos duplicates

That's weird....I'll pass that on to the city improvement guys as it doesn't look like an editing issue.

"has been improved" should be have been improved, "however" shouldn't be there (or stick a comma after it), and there shouldn't be a comma before that (or change that to which).

Fixed

Edit: Description for Megaron Dioiketou says "A Dioiketes is not chosen from the lower Hellenic families or gods forbid, one of the native ones are not trustworthy enough, as..." which doesn't make grammatical sense.

Awful sentence. Rewritten.

Comma in "better stronger walls" in description for Teichea Lithea.

Deleted "better".

Tomb of Alexander: siezed should be seized.

Fixed

Syllogos kai Skeuotheke Strateumatos: "arms and armor is often stored" should be "are often stored."

Fixed

Practice Range: "which also needs" should be "which also need."

Fixed

Pyramids: "their surface were covered" should be "was covered."

Fixed

Metalleia: posess should be possess.

Fixed (there were about 20 of these!)

Thanks again!

Kull
01-20-2006, 05:33
In the Small Nomadic Settlement, it says, "wouldn't fair well...

Fixed (2 or 3 of these) Thanks!

In the description for the Mega Phrourion, "innside" appears in the first or second sentence. I'm fairly sure this was in a Pontos description, not sure if it appears for any other factions.

Fixed (about 3 of these) Thanks!

Malrubius
01-21-2006, 21:51
Can we confirm which spelling here is right?

greek_sphendenotai ; Sphendonetai

Kull
01-21-2006, 22:33
Sphendonetai is correct. The other is incorrect for sure.

:book:

Malrubius
01-29-2006, 09:32
I'm sure you've already corrected the description for this temple:
{temple_of_fun_shrine_romans_julii} Temenos Hieron Apollonos

sinle => single

Also, here's another 'wrong word spelled right' situation:
Baktria's Mega Basileion

and with the increase in soldiers and the increase in statue of the man holding court here,

should be 'stature' :laugh4:

Malrubius
01-30-2006, 11:29
In the Baktrian theatre, there's an instance where "remember" should be "remind".

kkjbk
01-30-2006, 18:26
If you go into the Data file, then text and then export_buildings there are two typos for Anhachmohr.

{governors_villa_britons} Anhachmohr
{governors_villa_britons_desc}
Casse Warlord's Hold\n\nA well-liked chief or a powerful chieftain of my tribes often has an exceptionally large home, complete with offices, and extravagant works of art, as well as his trophies from battle. It is a central hub for the social life of a community, as the owner of this home likely has more money than anyone else in town, and likely got elected toi his position in part because of his good nature to his people, or through his fame via great deeds. Feasts and parties for the locals would be organized here, and spillover from such parties may even end up in the yard around it.
{governors_villa_britons_desc_short}
New EB Description Required

I'm not sure what the 'my' is about, but 'toi' should be 'to'.

There is also another small typo for Parvarsk:

{governors_villa_parthia} Parvarsk
{governors_villa_parthia_desc}
Small Palace\n\nSuccessful and (relatively) loyal satrapes under the Pahlava are rewarded by more lands and larger manors. His subjects are more prosperous, trade and agriculture is giving him even more retinue. Petitioners, tax collectors as well as those in trouble with the law all have to go to the governor for their business. The governor has some of his Bandaka (bondsmen) stationed in his manor, to provide protection and a rudimentary garrisons. He and his vassals would have their mounts raised and grazed in nearby pastures.
{governors_villa_parthia_desc_short}
New EB Description Required

Should be 'a rudimentary garrison'.

Malrubius
02-02-2006, 14:58
In export_buildings.txt, you'll find "lighting" instead of "lightning" and "depreciated" instead of "depicted"

Kull
02-04-2006, 02:58
I'm sure you've already corrected the description for this temple:
{temple_of_fun_shrine_romans_julii} Temenos Hieron Apollonos

sinle => single

Also, here's another 'wrong word spelled right' situation:
Baktria's Mega Basileion

should be 'stature' :laugh4:

Fixed both (multiple cases of each)

In the Baktrian theatre, there's an instance where "remember" should be "remind".

Fixed

If you go into the Data file, then text and then export_buildings there are two typos for Anhachmohr.

I'm not sure what the 'my' is about, but 'toi' should be 'to'.

There is also another small typo for Parvarsk:

Should be 'a rudimentary garrison'.

1) Replaced "my" with "many" (entire sentence is iffy anyway, but for now...)
2) Fixed the typos

In export_buildings.txt, you'll find "lighting" instead of "lightning" and "depreciated" instead of "depicted"

Fixed them all. Thanks!

Dooz
02-06-2006, 12:17
https://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7716/missingword7ov.th.jpg (https://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=missingword7ov.jpg)

I assume the missing word is "been"?

Kull
02-06-2006, 19:14
You assume correctly. Fixed! (Thanks)

Dooz
02-08-2006, 23:18
Thank you! :balloon2:

https://img430.imageshack.us/img430/5951/typo25kq.th.jpg (https://img430.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typo25kq.jpg)

...in the Gallic sack of Rome? the Romans?

Kull
02-11-2006, 21:42
...in the Gallic sack of Rome? the Romans?

Fixed. Unfortunately the spelling in some of these descriptions is so bad that the image contains an error you didn't even see! Look further down in your image and you'll find this gem:

....and since the Gauls had no interest in ruling the city, the left after taking all they could carry.

Dooz
02-12-2006, 09:32
Woopsy, heh. I shall contract my comb teeth and fine-tune the search.

Or... something...

Dooz
02-14-2006, 00:43
https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5972/typo32zm.th.jpg (https://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typo32zm.jpg)

Underlined part is repeated twice.

The sentence in between the brackets could use some revision, no? Not too necessary, but it could be done.

Kull
02-14-2006, 04:06
Good catch....and I'd already grammar checked that section. GAHHH!

As for the sentence, hopefully this is somewhat better:

They are usually recruited in mountainous regions where archery skill is essential to keeping one’s flock of sheep safe from roving predators. Toxotai are accordingly well versed in the use of the bow insofar as they train with it almost from birth.

Dooz
02-14-2006, 06:41
Looks better to me : )

Kull
03-17-2006, 00:51
Bump (for v.73a)

Antagonist
03-22-2006, 00:45
One that I noticed in .074: The Karthadastim Type 1 Government building appears to be using the description of the Ptolemaic Type 1 Government building.

Antagonist

Kull
03-23-2006, 03:37
One that I noticed in .074: The Karthadastim Type 1 Government building appears to be using the description of the Ptolemaic Type 1 Government building.

Antagonist

:book: :wall:

We won't have the next patch out for a while, so I'll post a correction for those who find this annoying. (blacksnail had it right in his thread, so god only knows how i hosed up the import). Open export_buildings.txt in the data/text directory and search for the system name. When you find it, replace the entire entry with the text below:

{type1lvl2_egyptian} Moledet haPonnim
{type1lvl2_egyptian_desc}
Phoenician Homeland Province\n(requires Homeland Government Resource)\n\nThe major trading and agricultural centers of the Carthaginian Empire have a rich Phoenician heritage, with most soldiers composed of Phoenician citizens. This province is dominated by agriculture and cottage industry, producing considerable amounts of grain and manufactured goods that buttress Carthage’s vast wealth. Though the region’s inhabitants will never grow as quickly as the crops that sustain Carthage’s might, their loyalty is firm. Troops trained here will fight fiercely for Carthage in foreign lands or at home.\n\nHISTORICAL NOTES: Phoenician provinces were the basic building block of Carthaginian power. They encompassed cities such as Carthage itself, Hadramout, and Lepki. Carthage is ruled by a Shophet, the Hundred, and the Senate, in descending order of importance. The Shophet is elected and confirmed by the people and the Hundred respectively. The power of the Shophetim is based here, and any aspiring Shophet of Carthage would do well to remember this.\n\nSTRATEGY: This form of government is only available in regions comprising the faction's historical homeland (indicated by the Homeland Government Resource building). It is very slow to build but once installed provides all factional buildings and units allowed in the region.
{type1lvl2_egyptian_desc_short}
The Moledet haPonnim is very slow to establish in a Homeland province but boasts all available faction building and troop types.