PDA

View Full Version : I need Help anybody!

EPA
01-02-2006, 23:07
Please answer my questions

1. I can't play BI with the EB succsesfully installed. But i also want to be able to play the orginal RTW and BI by re-installing RTW without un-installing EB, and BI and that i already have. SO if i re-install RTW could i patch it up to the latest patch 1.5 without messing EB up? How could I do that?

2. If i re-install RTW a second time with the first one having EB and 1.2 would I be able to play the orginal RTW? and make BI work?

3. After i installed EB and 1.2 uninstalling RTW a couple times I was able to play EB but i was'nt able to play BI, Is the re-installation and/or the EB and 1.2 installation causing me to not be able to play BI?

4. When i patch up orginal RTW does it automatically patch up BI? Is that how to patch up BI?

:dizzy2:

STuNTz2023
01-02-2006, 23:11
well, what i do is i make 2 copies of Rome - Total War with 1.2 patch installed on it to the desktop, then i patch the original Rome - Total War thats in program files up to 1.5..then i install BI on the original 1..i then install mods onto the other Rome - Total War's, but keep 1 copy blank so u can make more copies for more mods

EPA
01-03-2006, 00:01
well, what i do is i make 2 copies of Rome - Total War with 1.2 patch installed on it to the desktop, then i patch the original Rome - Total War thats in program files up to 1.5..then i install BI on the original 1..i then install mods onto the other Rome - Total War's, but keep 1 copy blank so u can make more copies for more mods

This is what i am gonna do- Keep BI and RTW with 1.2 patch that has EB on it, ok, then re-install RTW expecting to see a copy of the Orginal game without EB and upon doing this being able to play BI,ok, Then patch the normal RTW up o 1.5 with all the mods etc, without harming EB,BI,or RTW.

So my question is will the above description work? and How do i only patch the normal RTW (withoutEB) to 1.5? Could i just install 1.5 or all of the patchs to get 1.5?

MeroFromVero
01-03-2006, 00:30
So my question is will the above description work?

Nope! :D RTW won't let you install multiple copies from the disc. Idunno what your level of computer knowledge is (mine is not great either, actually), so I apologize if I overexplain things below.

What you must do:

1) Uninstall everything, remove all traces of RTW from your hard drive. For like the 4th time, I know... hopefully this'll be the last time though!

2) Install RTW as normal.

3) Patch RTW to 1.2, as normal.

4) However you prefer to navigate through your files, go to your Activision folder (this is where RTW installs itself, unless you tell it to go somewhere else). This should be in your Program Files folder, which itself will be in your C Drive. Copy your Rome - Total War folder, and paste it into the Activision folder, right where it already is. When it's done copying (this takes about an hour, on my computer here), you should have a folder called something like Copy of Rome - Total War, and it will have all the same contents as your original Rome - Total War folder. If you wanna play EB and also RTW/BI, you will need a third folder (you'll keep one in case you need more copies), so go ahead and copy and paste Rome - Total War again.

5) Rename your folders however you want (by right clicking on them and selecting Rename, or by just clicking once on the folder name). For example, I have "Rome - Total War (Clean Install)", "Rome - Europa Barbarorum", and "Rome - Barbarian Invasion" on my computer. You don't need to do this step, but I find it more aesthetically pleasing than having multiple "copy of" folders in the directory.

6) Never ever touch your original Rome - Total War folder again, except to make more copies. This way, you won't have to uninstall/reinstall 18 more times :)

7) Install BI into your BI folder. DO NOT INSTALL IT INTO YOUR EB FOLDER. If you do, EB will be unplayable. DO NOT INSTALL IT INTO YOUR ORIGINAL RTW FOLDER. If you do, you won't be able to make any more clean unmodified copies of RTW, which you will need if any of the installs go wrong, or if you want to play other mods.

7a) For BI, you only need the 1.6 patch, as it's cumulative. So, download it and install it, ONLY IN YOUR BI FOLDER. It will patch RTW to 1.5 and BI to 1.6. You don't need any of the earlier patches in your BI folder.

8) Download EB, and install it into your EB folder. DO NOT INSTALL IT IN YOUR BI FOLDER. If you do, BI will be unplayable. DO NOT INSTALL IT IN YOUR ORIGINAL FOLDER. If you do, you won't be able to make any more clean unmodified copies of RTW, which you will need if any of the installs go wrong, or if you want to play other mods.

9). Enjoy both games, possibly begin to want more hard drive space.

STuNTz2023
01-03-2006, 01:24
^^lol exactly what i meant, cept i put mine on the desktop, maybe ur not suppose to but w/e...but yeah always keep the original 1 clean so u can make more copies, however u cant install a patch more than once to my knowledge so once u up to 1.5//1.6 w/e u cant install 1.2 on another 1 or 1.5 in another folder, so u make copies of 1.2..a bunch and always keep 1 clean, then same with 1.5 n 1.3 but to my knowledge theres not that many mods for just 1.3...hope we helped

EPA
01-03-2006, 01:45
One last question - Would'nt be eaisier if i just install one with no patch and patch each copy individually according to which patch it needs?

Thanks you have been very helpful i really appreciate it :balloon2:

(to both you guys)

STuNTz2023
01-03-2006, 01:50
no problem at all, i know what a frusterating thing it is to be in the situation u were in havin been there myself lol :wall:

MeroFromVero
01-03-2006, 03:45
One last question - Would'nt be eaisier if i just install one with no patch and patch each copy individually according to which patch it needs?

That's actually how I'm set up right now. From what I hear though, most people just have their copy folder already patched to 1.2, as no mods [that I've heard of] run on 1.1 or 1.0. You could do either way, I guess.

^^lol exactly what i meant

Yeah I know. But from reading EPA's posts, it seemed like he was having multiple problems with his install because he, um, doesn't have a strong background in this kind of thing. So I decided to give the step-by-step, just in case.

however u cant install a patch more than once to my knowledge so once u up to 1.5//1.6 w/e u cant install 1.2 on another 1 or 1.5 in another folder

My copy folder is 1.0, and I have 1.6 in my BI folder, 1.2 in my RTR folder (boo hiss boo!), and a seperate 1.2 in my EB folder. I had to use zipped versions of 1.2 though.

EPA, if you encounter an error telling you you already have 1.2 installed, just download the .zip version from the bottom of EB's download page and extract it into whichever folder you wanna patch to 1.2. I might have already told you that in a different thread, I'm not sure.

EPA
01-03-2006, 05:41
But from reading EPA's posts, it seemed like he was having multiple problems with his install because he, um, doesn't have a strong background in this kind of thing. So I decided to give the step-by-step, just in case.

Everybodys gotta start somewhere ya know. Thats true this is the first time i really did anything like this.

MeroFromVero
01-03-2006, 13:09
Everybodys gotta start somewhere ya know. Thats true this is the first time i really did anything like this.

This was precisely my thinking. I meant no offense.

STuNTz2023
01-03-2006, 15:31
atleast he came to the forums..its hell tryin to figure it out urself :dizzy2: hah

EPA
01-03-2006, 16:59
This was precisely my thinking. I meant no offense.

I know i did'nt take it offensely