PDA

View Full Version : using hypaspistai

jerby
01-03-2006, 17:45
might be a silly question.

but hypaspistai don't have a phalanx-button. but do have overhead-spears ánd galatian swords. so how do i get them in a "phalanx" sorta formation. i figured guard-mode has somethign to do with it. not sure how though..

QwertyMIDX
01-03-2006, 19:37
Yeah, unless we port to BI and allow them to use a sheildwall the best thing you can do is put them in guard mode.

jerby
01-04-2006, 11:24
thanks.
so is their spear weapon "deadlier" than their sword?

scenario: unit hypaspistai vs unit pheraspidai. woudl spear or sword be better?

Moros
01-04-2006, 21:48
thanks.
so is their spear weapon "deadlier" than their sword?

scenario: unit hypaspistai vs unit pheraspidai. woudl spear or sword be better?
Use the defence button and use the alt. attack. (using alt+right click)

Teleklos Archelaou
01-04-2006, 22:01
Before they were a phalanx unit and it really sucked trying to maneuver them quickly anywhere (like they were used). We begged them to change them off phalanx and they thankfully did. There are still problems as a result of this, but it's much better.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-11-2006, 18:40
I forgot to explain this more to people.

For an apropriate classical phalanx spear shieldwall in EB with units that use classical phalanx (Baktrioi Agema, Hypaspistai, Solduros, Arveni Arjos, Rycalawre, Kuarothoroi, Heruskoz-Swaiut and Frameharjoz) you have to do 3 things:

1)Alt-attack to change weapons from swords to spears
2)Activate Guard Mode to make them hold formation
3)Activate Loose Formation button - it is makes (for only these units) a tighter formation that is ideal to use with spear and Guard Mode.

Sorry for not talking about this sooner but I forgot to make a guide for this... :embarassed:

jerby
01-13-2006, 11:52
loos formation tightens them up? wouldn't it be easier to get that tight by default and let loose formation actually loosen them up?

still, thanks!

zarkis
01-13-2006, 13:51
This info should be included in the unit descrition.

QwertyMIDX
01-13-2006, 16:31
In order to make it easier they're already in the tighter formation when you start. Sorry Aymar, that was a change while you were away. :oops:

Ypoknons
01-14-2006, 16:07
This info should be included in the unit descrition.
Seconded. I understand you my have a philosophy towards unit descriptions and all, but not if it leaves people scratching their heads when EB becomes a general destribution mod.

BozosLiveHere
01-23-2006, 04:41
In order to make it easier they're already in the tighter formation when you start. Sorry Aymar, that was a change while you were away. :oops:

I was able to verify what Aymar posted with the Sweboz, and at least with me, pressing the loose formation button actually made the soldiers stay closer to each other. It happens with most german heavy infantry types, even general bodyguards, the exception being those chainmail armored guys that fight with axes (can't remember their name, sorry).

Frameharjoz got a lot more useful now that I know how to form a shield wall with them, the only bad thing is that sometimes they revert to the default looser formation when engaging.

QwertyMIDX
01-23-2006, 07:33
Yeah, it seems that some units have been changed and others haven't. Yuck.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-26-2006, 03:26
In order to make it easier they're already in the tighter formation when you start. Sorry Aymar, that was a change while you were away. :oops:GAH!! Now you tell me? ~:pissed:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-26-2006, 03:27
I was able to verify what Aymar posted with the Sweboz, and at least with me, pressing the loose formation button actually made the soldiers stay closer to each other. It happens with most german heavy infantry types, even general bodyguards, the exception being those chainmail armored guys that fight with axes (can't remember their name, sorry).

Frameharjoz got a lot more useful now that I know how to form a shield wall with them, the only bad thing is that sometimes they revert to the default looser formation when engaging.Well, the port to 1.5 will allow us to use proper shieldwall. This is just an interem procedure.

QwertyMIDX
01-26-2006, 04:54
GAH!! Now you tell me? ~:pissed:

It was obviously only half implemented. We'll have to fix that, one way or the other (doesn't matter to me).

We'd have to port to BI not just 1.5 to use the shieldwall I think.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-26-2006, 14:40
It was obviously only half implemented. We'll have to fix that, one way or the other (doesn't matter to me).

We'd have to port to BI not just 1.5 to use the shieldwall I think.We need to talk about this in MSN. I'll tell you what the current problem is with this situation.

Arman616
01-26-2006, 23:16
We need to talk about this in MSN. I'll tell you what the current problem is with this situation.

I want shieldwall, wah.

mike^_^
01-27-2006, 05:38
SPQR has shield wall, and it's on 1.5

Arman616
01-31-2006, 01:43
SPQR has shield wall, and it's on 1.5

Damn. So can the EB devs implement this with 1.5?