PDA

View Full Version : Important Map Bug

peolo_85
01-04-2006, 21:21
The town of Segesta has an incorrect collocation in the map. It wasn't in Liguria, but in Sicily:

"Segesta = Greek Egesta, ancient city of Sicily, located about 2 miles (3 km) northwest of modern Calatafimi. It was the chief city of the Elymi, a people for whom Thucydides claimed a Trojan origin; they are archaeologically indistinguishable in the Early Iron Age (c. 1000–c. 500 BC) from their Sicanian neighbours. Culturally Segesta was Greek, but it generally took the Carthaginian side against its Greek neighbours; …"

("Segesta." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2006. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 4 Jan. 2006)

Where has Segesta been placed in the map there was "Genua",an ancient town that now is called "Genova" in modern italian and it's an important city of the nothern of Italy.

"Genoa = Italian Genova , ancient (Latin) Genua city and Mediterranean seaport in northwestern Italy. It is the capital of Genova provincia and of Liguria regione and is the centre of the Italian Riviera. Its total area is 93 square miles (240 square km)."

("Genoa." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2006. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 4 Jan. 2006)

all of this because i'm italian :laugh4: and of course i want precision about my country!!! :laugh4:

anyway, congratulations about the project, it's a wonderful mod...

edyzmedieval
01-04-2006, 22:13
Strange....

Did Genua exist in 272BC?!

Teleklos Archelaou
01-04-2006, 22:25
In 272 the most important town in this region seems to be Segesta. Later known as Tigulliorum. Modern site name is Sestri Levante. Use the Barrington Classical Atlas or the Tabula Imperii Romani L 32, Mediolanum-Aventicum-Brigantium, published in 1966 in Rome.

I wasn't involved in picking this site, just relating some of the reference info here.

peolo_85
01-05-2006, 00:41
there were two Segestae: the one in Sicily, that was most important one, and the little one in Liguria. the little one in Liguria, according to the legend, was founded by a friend of Enea, after having founded the Segesta in Sicily. Segesta in Liguria (more accurately "Segesta Tigulliorum") was a little "suburb" of the bigger Tigullia. Anyway, at the time of Augustus, the most important city in the ninth province of italy was Genua, whose origins (of course, as a little town) have to be collocated in the first millenium before christ . If Segesta had been bigger than Genua in 272 b. C.? i don't know. but i think that the criterium to choose the cities tu put on the map should be balanced between choosing the most important cities in 272 b. C. and the most important city on the whole during the two next centuries. An example: the most important city in etruria in 218 b. C. was Volaterrae, bigger than Arretium, that is on the map; at the time of augustus the biggest cities of Etruria were Arretium, Florentia and Perusia. But I think that's right to choose Arretium, because on the whole Arretium had been, during the time of the game, the most important city in Etruria. So, on the whole, the most important city of Liguria had been Genua, and not Tigullia nor Segesta Tigulliorum.

khelvan
01-05-2006, 08:16
Our choice of city has generally been weighted toward campaign start, and at this point we have no plans to adjust that.