PDA

View Full Version : Helpful tips thread

Copperhaired Berserker!
01-04-2006, 23:50
As there is no thread for this, I thought it would be nessesary.

Tip 1: Raiding

This is very important if you want to have a good econamy, which is very hard to get in this mod. You'll notice that your income in the cities are minus. So what you should do is when you capture a settlement, occupy it, (Defininately don't exterminate it. It's bad for your general's traits, BAD!) and destroy all the buildings that can be destroyed. You'll get a 3000-5000 mnai, depending on what city you are raiding. This is very useful. You can leave the city to rebel, or you could keep your troops in it, (Only keep in 1 or 2 units though) and somehow you get non-minus income.

Tip 2: Skirmishers

Skirmishers are brilliant for light infantry. I remember in my 4-turn campaign ( I found out I was PWNED!! Like all my first campaigns......:laugh4: )
I got my skirmishers chucking their javilens at those barbarians in pajamas. They were slaughtered. Never use you skirmishers to kill hoplites or anything decently armored, even at the back.

Tip 3: Disbanding at the beginning

You'll find that the army upkeep is a HUGE money-sucker, leaving you in debt. So, disband a great amount of militias, and some of your elites. To get your money out of your cities, check all your generals. If they are not good managers, take them out of the city. You should take out a lot of your troops. You'll pobably find that your cities actually make some money, or lose a bit of debt. Every little helps!

I hope these tips are useful! Good luck, and post your tips!

Copperhaired Berserker!
01-05-2006, 00:44
Yikes! Two threads by mistake! Sorry, mods, please delete this one!

Malrubius
01-05-2006, 01:01
-Exterminating populations is not necessarily bad for your general's traits. It could get you the Genocide trait (makes general a better looter) or Bloodthirsty (raises morale).

-However, an Unselfish general might have some pangs of conscience after doing this, which make it hard for him to get a restful night's sleep (making him a worse manager and not be as healthy).

- Generals with the "Lenient" trait will become unhappy with their ruler (you don't want your general to get this--lots of negatives to morale, bribing, tax collection, law, and influence!).

- Your general may become "Brutal" (makes him move further, be better at enforcing law and order, raises morale, makes him a better looter, and better at tax collection, but does have a slight unrest penalty).

So, think about your general's traits before you click "Exterminate". If he's an energetic or selfish guy, he won't lose any sleep over it. :evilgrin:

jerby
01-06-2006, 00:20
-Exterminating populations is not necessarily bad for your general's traits. It could get you the Genocide trait (makes general a better looter) or Bloodthirsty (raises morale).

-However, an Unselfish general might have some pangs of conscience after doing this, which make it hard for him to get a restful night's sleep (making him a worse manager and not be as healthy).

- Generals with the "Lenient" trait will become unhappy with their ruler (you don't want your general to get this--lots of negatives to morale, bribing, tax collection, law, and influence!).

- Your general may become "Brutal" (makes him move further, be better at enforcing law and order, raises morale, makes him a better looter, and better at tax collection, but does have a slight unrest penalty).

So, think about your general's traits before you click "Exterminate". If he's an energetic or selfish guy, he won't lose any sleep over it. :evilgrin:
you really need to make traits do's& don'ts list for us....I'm completly lost when it comes to stuff like this...

Malrubius
01-06-2006, 01:25
Just play the generals as you think they should behave; trying to move them in and out of cities or do this, or don't do that, to game the system, doesn't seem like much fun. Major piece of advice: if you don't need a general desperately, and you get one offered who is stupid, uncharismatic, and langorous, you may want to reject them. :laugh4:

Teleklos Archelaou
01-06-2006, 02:44
Get to know your generals better! :grin: Really! :knuddel: (Ok, not like *that*!)

jerby
01-07-2006, 00:16
Just play the generals as you think they should behave; trying to move them in and out of cities or do this, or don't do that, to game the system, doesn't seem like much fun. Major piece of advice: if you don't need a general desperately, and you get one offered who is stupid, uncharismatic, and langorous, you may want to reject them. :laugh4:
is a general really able to get "stupid"?

I mean "uncharasmatic" OK, "langurous" OK.. But "stupid" is just plain rude (:laugh4: I like it!)

Malrubius
01-07-2006, 01:44
I could have used "Dull" or "Dumb", I guess, but they could mean other things. "Unintelligent" was clear but too long to fit on the scroll with the other 2. But "Stupid" is pithy.

econ21
01-07-2006, 01:45
Major piece of advice: if you don't need a general desperately, and you get one offered who is stupid, uncharismatic, and langorous, you may want to reject them. :laugh4:

I find it hard to avoid rejecting anyone who is not sharp, charismatic and energetic. At least for the Romans, it has not left me really short-handed although most turns I am rejecting some imperfect candidate.

Chester
01-14-2006, 07:53
I say leave us in the dark! Or at least leave me in the dark when it comes to trait gathering. I like discovering what happens along the way.

Africanus!