PDA

View Full Version : Unit Balancing

Warbird
01-06-2006, 19:39
Legio,
You stated earlier you could use some help in unit balancing. I have limited time, but I am fairly analytical and perhaps I can help out using this skill. :juggle2:

Looking at the export_descr_unit file there are several attributes defined for a particular unit such as unit types and numbers, offensive and defensive abilities, mentality, hit points, special abilities, ground and heat modifiers, etc. Does anyone from your team know the battle algorithm that was used in RTW using these attributes? Does your staff have the ability to modify this algorithm or does the balancing have to be done by trial and error by adjusting the values of the attributes? :wall:

If the algorithm is known then original balancing could be calculated using appropriate formulas and then they can be validated and adjusted accordingly with testing. This could save some time. Other attributes can be used to tweak the units such as adjusting starting and upkeep salaries, city wealth, and morale to name a few. If you have the algorithm I would like to take a look at it and determine if I could be of any help. :dizzy2:

Rodion Romanovich
01-06-2006, 20:18
We know approximately how the algorithms work, but we can't adjust them, it's hard-coded. We're saving balancing of upkeep and recruitment costs until we've made the campaign map, but we are able to start balancing all the units quite soon, using placeholders until all units have been skinned and modelled.

The Stranger
01-06-2006, 22:37
im almost done so i dont really need help with it...