PDA

View Full Version : Phalangite Path Finding.

Dayve
01-07-2006, 04:57
I've just started my first campaign as a Phalangite wielding faction, (Epirotes) and the first thing i did was march two units of Phalangites and Phyrrus up to Dalminion to take it from the rebels... Once i was inside i noticed that my Taxeis Phalangites were having some serious problems following orders... They couldn't march in formtation, they couldn't march to where i asked them too, they were being impetuous, (following the enemy once they were routed despite being on guard mode) and generally being a nightmare to control... I don't recall path finding being this bad in vanilla RTW or any other mods for RTW 1.2, and i don't know if it happens with any other phalangite units although i would imagine so... But i do believe it needs to be checked out as it can be a real problem... I almost lost! I had 23 men left at the end of the battle... Including Pyrrhus' bodyguards!

Magnificant me
01-07-2006, 05:27
was it all of your phalingites or just the ones you talked about there spasificaly? if it were all of them then you might be right, but if it were just them the might have just been impetuos, i don't know that unit very well tho and i am just guesing

Reenk Roink
01-07-2006, 05:39
Hmm... when you move multiple units, especially phalanx units, hold "alt" and and click where you want them to go.

Sadly, this wont help the AI pathfinding...

Dayve
01-07-2006, 06:53
I only had two units of Phalangites and Phyrrus, that was all... Taxeis Phalangites are highly trained and not impetuous, but in the small settlement they did the opposite of everything i wanted them to do...

O_Stratigos
01-07-2006, 07:41
I also have similar problems with my Makedonian phalanges. If I group them to move to a different position, when they arrive there the phalanx line is not "straight" any more and when I try to move them they just take one step and then stop, I repeat and the same thing happens. By the time I manage to get them in place some times the enemy has engaged me and I don’t have to tell you what happens when a phalanx is engaged while out of formation… :furious3: :laugh4:

O Stratigos :bow:

Chester
01-08-2006, 00:49
Isn't that what impetuousness is all about? Doing things without forethought or any regard? I've never had that problem. Maybe it has to do with being inside a town. RTW is known for nutty urban warfare.

The other day I was playing the Romans. Iberians attacked my garrison and we had a battle. I ordered some of my troops to go form the wall to the main ground, they did it very SLOWLY! One by one they slowly came out of the door from the wall on to the main ground. Then, the ones still remaining on the wall started walking off the ledge and falling to their death. It reminded me of the movie UHF, when the dude was throwing dogs out of his window and they began piling up dead on the ground below.

IT's messed up.

NightStar
01-10-2006, 11:06
Also had the same problem with pontus. My phalangites would not line up correctly. If I tell them to line up in single line they end up a jigzaw puzzle. So advancing with a phalangite becomes a nightmare....bug or a feature?

Bug in my opinion as after deploying trying to make phalangites staying in line becomes a nightmare....even when you have all the time in the world....even when you try to move just one unit, some guys just decide to stand in front of the spear wall and only taking the unit out of formation and setting it back in formation can fix it.

Dayve
01-10-2006, 14:00
What's even more annoying than that, is sometimes phalanx units when in a long line with other phalanx units actually turn and face a different direction during combat... They rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise... Or even worse, they turn around so their backs are facing the enemy... Probably hardcoded i know and no EB's fault... But come on CA... The most common infantry of the period is the phalanx unit... Even the Gauls have one for chrissake, get a grip!

MeroFromVero
01-11-2006, 04:03
...phalanx units actually turn and face a different direction during combat...
I too have experienced this. I don't even click on enemy units when I have my phalanxes selected anymore; I just give the phalanx orders to move past the enemy, and then they end up colliding pike-first, instead of shoulder- or butt-first.

mattholomew
01-14-2006, 22:31
Is there a way that we could manually fix the phalanx problem until it is fixed with a patch? I dont know what files need to altered but perhaps one could insert the old phalanx animations temporarily?

QwertyMIDX
01-18-2006, 17:58
It;s not as though these problems didn't happen with the CA phalanx. CA just really messed up the formation.

Conqueror
01-18-2006, 20:46
I've never before seen the kind of problems with phalanxes in RTW that we're seeing in EB: Phalangites hopping up and down continuosly when idle and failing to maintain a straight line formation after marching forward (while every other type of infantry maintains a perfect line) regardless of whether or not they have phalanx turned off.

Tux
01-18-2006, 21:01
Those bugs will be fixed in a future patch, the one who did the pike animations kinda made them in a hurry and left out all those bugs so everyone don't worry this is allready fixed and a patch will be out soon.

Conqueror
01-18-2006, 21:30
Good to hear :2thumbsup:

caio giulio
01-20-2006, 08:17
mee too....

Not only if they're grouped, but even when I try to move them alone!

Further more when I click the phalanx formation button they continue to reorganize themselves at infinity. I have to press the Halt buttom to make them stop... and the formation is not perfect.
I also notice some problems with the animations... (only phalangities, not hoplites)
I'm playing with Macedons.
This problems weren't on the Rome Vanilla.....

Kralizec
01-20-2006, 08:47
There are also a few problems when you select multiple phalanxes and try to deploy them in a single line with no spaces between.

https://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1243/botchedphalanx8ep.th.jpg (https://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=botchedphalanx8ep.jpg)

If you have phalangites and hoplites together, it's impossible to click-and-drag them into a straight phalanx line. I haven't had this problem when using only phalangites.

Tux
01-20-2006, 13:54
Ok ok guys, i said it will be fixed in the next patch and those formation probs are caused by some buggy anims because of the cas tools.
So for now used the vanila spearman skeletons.

Kralizec
01-21-2006, 00:53
Sorry, I didn't notice the deployment problem had been mentioned already :oops: