PDA

View Full Version : Logging into the foyer under Windows XP

Drisos
01-07-2006, 09:49
I got a new computer a little more then a week ago, and it runs on windows XP. I have installed shogun on it, and copied my old internet.cfg file into the main folder. (I sent it to my email before I shut down the old computer.)
I have configured my firewall to allow any contact with internet from shogun, and have windows firewall disabled. As you know, I'm behind a router. If you think that could anyhow make a problem, I have a solution to that - 8 metres of usb cable. We would only need to figure out how to establish connection when I plug it directly into the modem.

Your guesses are right, I cannot log in anymore. I have tried 'the enter trick' mentioned by gaijin, but I tried lots of times and I didn't get in once. The configuration is correct, because I always get past the connecting screen. I get stuck at 'logging in ...'.

For me, it is not an option to buy an old Windows98 computer, and I lost the old one. I will have to play shogun on this, or I can't play shogun. (for at least 1,5 years...:no: )

Gaijin, the trick about the 'choice' program you mentioned, is that really something which would solve this for me? Seen the other active non-sticky thread here it seems that program is just to make bat-files work, but I don't see a connection with the logging in problem. 47Ronin Ishida tried this trick but it didn't help. I just installed choice as well, but shambles server is down atm so I can't try now.

The only 'recently mentioned' solution to this problem seems to install shogun on a fat32 drive. But I don't have several partitions. I would need cristal clear info about what happens when I do create partitions, and how I do so. Also what happens when I change into fat32, and how to do so.

Any other suggestions are more then welcome, as I am getting very pissed that you guys are playing and I must sit here and wait..~;):embarassed: :no: gah! I want to get back!

R'as al Ghul
01-07-2006, 11:13
Hi Drisos,

so the problem occurs when you plug that 8m cable in?
Because WinXP can't be the problem. I can always connect
(but still can't host through my router).
Iirc 8m is way too long. There's a restriction to the length and
to keep the current and data transfer stable an usb-hub is needed.
My guess is that you want to use the router as modem, hence the usb cable. Right? What happens when you try to reach Internet with your browser?
I'm quite confident that this is solvable.

:bow:

Just A Girl
01-07-2006, 14:39
Il explain all the fat 32 stuff to you AFTER you go through other processes ok drisos?

I have a lot of disk space and as such I can have 2 fat32 hdd,
And 5 NTFS drives.
not many are this lucky.
Prehaps some could only make 1 small fat32 drive,
then there c drive would be to small for updates and stuff.

Like i said il explain all that after you try other things If i need 2.

But there is Definatly a log on problem associated with windows xp.

P.S
whats this thing about choice.com?
has it been sudgested that XP is missing some crucial files?
Libaryfiles.exe has all the old files xp needs.

Although that is not logical. As if there is a missing file. You would Always fail to log in,
Where as i some times used to log in and sometimes i did not,
Even though i did not have the file (choice.com)

Id like more detail on the choice.com thing if you know any...

Drisos
01-07-2006, 16:12
so the problem occurs when you plug that 8m cable in?
Because WinXP can't be the problem. I can always connect
(but still can't host through my router).

No no! ehmm. I fail to log in behind my router. I bought that cable a while ago and hoped to be able to host using that. but I never managed to establish connection using it. my old computer didn't recognize my modem as a modem and I didn't know how and where to find a driver to make the connection work when bypassing router. I haven't yet tried on the new one.

Iirc 8m is way too long. There's a restriction to the length and
to keep the current and data transfer stable an usb-hub is needed.
My guess is that you want to use the router as modem, hence the usb cable. Right? What happens when you try to reach Internet with your browser?
I'm quite confident that this is solvable.

I can try to make it 4 metres, but then I will probably have to remove my router from the wall and my tower towards it. I have two cables of 4 metres. perhaps I should but another one, like 2 metres? I should be able to make it with 6 metres. hmm. is that too long? I don't know if it helps, but it's all usb2. perhaps that transfers stuff better?:sweatdrop: *** When I opened my browser it said can't find the web page. (google.com) however that was on my old computer, I will try plugging it into my new one and see if it works then.

I don't know how, but it really seems to have something to do with xp.. I mean, not that much has changed.. only xp. some people with xp don't have the problems. But all the ones who do, do have xp.

####

P.S
whats this thing about choice.com?
has it been sudgested that XP is missing some crucial files?
Libaryfiles.exe has all the old files xp needs.

Although that is not logical. As if there is a missing file. You would Always fail to log in,
Where as i some times used to log in and sometimes i did not,
Even though i did not have the file (choice.com)

Id like more detail on the choice.com thing if you know any...

You can ask gaijin about it.. he suggested it to me. It's some windows patch that should make you able to run batfiles, which isn't possible on XP normally, while it is on 98.

#####
gets back... just tried logging on about 20 times. no succes. 'logging on...'
#####

however, it doesn't make sense to me that the batfiles would make me log into the foyer.. and it isn't helping. I installed the program and tried, but no succes. for 47Ronin Ishida it didn't work either. he's getting some parts for his old comp in oder to log back in again.

problem is, there's only few things to try, and I have tried them all but two now. bypassing the router. (a 0% chance it will help me log in, but miracles might exist) or, getting partitions and turning one into fat32. don't worry about disk space. I have plenty. (200GB) we only need about 10 in total here:laugh4:

Shin-GaiJin
01-07-2006, 16:28
Im not too sure here Drisos and Mr Shambles might like to confirm this but is your router hardware firewall blocking you?I can and have configured mine as a DMZ connection-dropping the hardware firewall and using the software firewall(norton) only.
Also...and this PROBABLY wont work but youre desperate right!Right click on the Shogun exe on your desktop and choose properties,you can then change compatability mode to win 98...just a thought

let us know how you get on

ShinGaiJin

Drisos
01-07-2006, 16:35
Ok I will try the properties thing. a tiny perphaps, but perhaps it will work.

ehmm.. can you tell me how to change router into 'DMZ connection'? or does that depend on which router I have? (thomson speedtouch 120g)

I was just going to try, but it appears nothing happens when I rightclick on the shogun item in the taskbar. when I do so on a internet explorer one I get the little menu, but with shogun I see nothing.

R'as al Ghul
01-07-2006, 16:38
drisos,

Do you use the same setup to post here
that you use when you try connecting to the lobby?
:dizzy2:

Drisos
01-08-2006, 11:32
If I understand you correctly, yes.:sweatdrop:

R'as al Ghul
01-08-2006, 12:06
If I understand you correctly, yes.:sweatdrop:

That's good. In a way.
So your network setup seems to work. You can connect to the Internet.
The only thing not working is Shoggy.
Did you forward the nessecary ports in your router?
Iirc 18321 and 8793 have to be forwarded at least to connect.
Try UDP and TCP protocol.
We went through this some months ago.
I trust that you do remember?

Just A Girl
01-08-2006, 13:11
Were back at this problem again....
Those ports are for hosting games.
well 18321 is any way.

The other port is the fakeserver port.
So its best to allow that as well.

But The ports used to connect to fake server Constantly change.
1 port diferent for every connection you or some 1 els makes.

if i was the 1st to connect to the server. using port
1446 for example.
the next person will connect using port:
and the next
Then if i reloged on
id use 1449 Not the origional 1446 i connected on.
So theres No way I can tell people which port they use to connect on.
The game keeps using a diferent 1.

It could be windows fire wall blocking your connection or atleast the requierd ports,

Prehaps the ports stw used in windows 98. have since been conciderd to be unsafe, And XP fire wall disables them.
And thats why its so random as to when people can actualy log on.

I.e

the first 2 times you try to connect The ports your using xp deems unsafe so you fail to connect.
3rd time, xp has no problem with that port so you are able to log in,
(I dont use xp fire wall so cant veryfy that. Instead i totaly disabled it and use kerio personal fire wall Which is Easy to configure, And dosent mess stuff up like norton fire wall.)
-----

Its also possible that the router is a problem but Its a very low possibilaty.
As its the Game thats sending Data to the internet and the reply will come straight back to the game when you connect,
And as no 1 els is sending data to your Ip adress theres no need to forward ports Unless your trying to host,

This can also be verifyed by the fact that other users can connect to the server when there behind a router with no needed configuration,
but they do need to configure it for hosting games,
"but as shin-gaijin says There is a small possibilaty that the hardware firewall is hindering you" (your router could also concider some ports to be unsafe.)

I have now mooved the fakesrever to a fat 32 drive,
"Something i probably should have done sooner,"
(how ever sat here now watching the foyer, I see drisos still cant log in)
Some 1 els seemd to log in 1st try no problems though but seemd to leave instantly.
(wont mention names incase there dont wish to be disclosed)

It really is an xp problem
But what Exactly the problem is we can only speculate about.
However I really do log in 1st time now i have a fat32 hdd.
2nd time occasionaly,

so that implies its something to do with either the

file system.
Compression,
or indexing.

Also theres the possibilaty that xp says some ports are unsafe.

I have by passed All of these possibilatys,
So i cant say that Any 1 single thing fixed the problem,
Neither can i say that All of them must be bypassed for it to work.

What exactly the problem xp hast with stw is has yet to be discoverd, but i think were narrowing it down.

R'as al Ghul
01-08-2006, 15:26
Did you forward the nessecary ports in your router?
Iirc 18321 and 8793 have to be forwarded at least to connect.
Try UDP and TCP protocol.

Screw that.
To connect to the lobby it is not necessary to forward any port.
If you want to host that's another issue.
I just tested connecting and it works for me.

- Sygate Firewall is set to allow Shogun.
- Windows Firewall is disabled.
- The only port forwarding in my router is TCP 80 (standard).
- My copy of Shogun lives on a Fat32 partition.
- Compatibility mode is set to Win98.
- I did at one time install choice.com into my system32 folder.
- Bat files do work on my machine.
- I can participate in games but can't host.

Perhaps other users could provide a similar list to narrow the problem down?

Drisos
01-08-2006, 20:26
Good idea! please post such lists, guys! ~:)

I don't need to install a driver on this copmuter for my modem.. I get connection when I plug in the cables, so I will be able to host when I can fix this problem. ~:)

I tried logging in, but no succes. My router is not the problem. I will try to check if windows firewall is really off, and if shutting off norton helps any. But I think it's something else. Hopefully I can catch gaijin or shambles at msn to work out the choice thing.

AggonyDuck
01-08-2006, 20:45
I can log in first try and I'll attempt to make a similar list and that would be me logging in on the fake server. ~;)

-Windows Firewall set to enabled shogun and also enabled several different ports for all sort of games
- Got a lot of ports forwarded for the router, including those needed to host in Shogun.
- My copy of Shogun lives on a NTFS partition.
- Haven't bothered with compatibility modes
- choice.com is installed
- Bat files do work on my machine.
- I can host games alright, the game runs otherwise excellently too
- My OS is XP

Drisos
01-09-2006, 15:33
I did some tests again:

- Windows Firewall disabled
- Norton Firewall disabled (only 5 mins don't worry)
- Not behind a router, connection trough usb cable in my modem
- The 'ShogunW.exe' file's Compatibility mode is set to win98/winME
- Shogun is installed on a NTFS drive
- I have installed choice. I have no batfiles to try it on.

Hmmm can anyone mail me a batfile? doesn't matter what, for instance just the shogun server picking file. then I can try it and see if choice is working, if not I will reinstall.

I have tried logging in for several times, with and without entering a cd-key, ticking the box about existing internet connection and using the enter trick various times.

There two more options it seems - get it on a fat32 drive (but it works on ntfs for duck) or reinstall choice.

:juggle2:

Just A Girl
01-09-2006, 15:40
did you put choice in system32 folder?
Id like to see if that works.
And if your on msn il mail send u the stats swaper

Edit.

You can actualy make your own bat file..
If you :

make a new text document.
open it.

Then
type the word :
Pause

so thats the only text in the file,

Then go to file at the top left corner
say save as...

You will see 3 boxes you can type in.

File name:
Save As type
And
Encoding:

In the File name feild (should be the 1st text feild)Enter
Batfile.bat
now change the Save as type feild(Should be the second text feild)
to "All files"

and hit save

you will have made a bat file.
and if it stays open when you run it.
choice.com is installed ok

Drisos
01-09-2006, 16:06
You mean a notepad file?

I guess yes, as it is working. It has the batfile-icon now and when I open it it was clear to be a batfile, it remained open for about 8 seconds til I closed it. ~:)

... this means choice is installed correctly as well.. running out of options. :sweatdrop:

it hardly can have anything to do with the other things that changed when my computer changed. - I mean, the graphix card is ok for shogun as it works perfectly with sp etc
it's not a firewall or router, I have choice, compatibility mode is set to 98.. what now?

Just A Girl
01-09-2006, 16:25
you can try turning off indexing and compression.

To do that.

you can go find your c: drive
Right click it
Select properties

You will see a pie chart of your disk space

At the bottom of this window ar 2 check boxes un tick them. so they are empty.

You can turn them back on later if you chose to.

Drisos
01-09-2006, 16:40
Done that. I failed to get in about 25 times :embarassed::no: :shame: :dizzy2:

But firewall was on and I was behind a router. There is of course a chance there are two causes for this and I should try using all methods at the same time...

Just A Girl
01-09-2006, 16:42
well i dont want to tell you how to format your drive to a fat32 Yet.
If others can log on using ntfs maby they know why,

Try restarting 1st incase not all the things youve tried have been implimented properly yet.

Drisos
01-09-2006, 16:48
it's kinda weird, when I have no router no firewalls same hard drive as duck installed that program same os.. in short all the same, it doesn't work for me... what can it be?

perhaps you guys can make such lists but with more details, other things that don't seem to have anything to do with shogun mp. (remember shogun didn't start because of a webcam with methos.. perhaps there's something like that blocking me from mp... in that case I would have to ask others who can't login and see what we have in common and disable it.)

I have another idea, I can install shogun original and see if I can get into the fakeserver with that. that would make sure it has nothing to do with the game itself or it's settings.

Drisos
01-09-2006, 16:55
well I restarted and checked for the configuration to be the same, but I still can't log in. (10 attempts this time)

:juggle2:

R'as al Ghul
01-09-2006, 16:58
Hello.

Drisos, do you have any other games or applications that do connect
with the Internet? I think there are some Microsoft Multiplayer Games
that come with XP. You could try to connect to a Multiplayer Server
with those. See if they work or return any messages.....
It's strange indeed but I'm sure and confident that there's
an impossible simple solution to this. :wink:

Drisos
01-09-2006, 17:02
Drisos, do you have any other games or applications that do connect with the Internet? I think there are some Microsoft Multiplayer Games that come with XP. You could try to connect to a Multiplayer Server with those. See if they work or return any messages.....
It's strange indeed but I'm sure and confident that there's
an impossible simple solution to this. :wink:

You mean little thing like cardgames, somewhere under desk accesoires? I will go and check one of them out, because I don't have anything but stw installed now. ~:)

I had one little game of hearts, and I was able to chat with other players, so XP doesn't have trouble with that.

R'as al Ghul
01-09-2006, 17:19
I had one little game of hearts, and I was able to chat with other players, so XP doesn't have trouble with that.

Okay. This is good news.
I'm not quite sure what to learn from that....:book:
I'll keep thinking about it.

Just A Girl
01-10-2006, 16:42
Drisos has internet connectivaty to the server...
it just dosent log his name in.

Drisos
01-18-2006, 14:23
hey guys, don't make me do the thinking because I will ruin my computer.. :laugh4:

Hmm. I thaught it might had something to do with shogun installation type. (full, minimal etc) Because people with XP mostly have more GB's so can more easy do full install so it would look like it's because of XP. But, on my old comp I had the same install type and I could log in.. so it can't be. But as some people with XP log in, it can't be the problem... but I think it must be something new, which appeared after winXP appeared and so is never used together with win98. it can be anything new, drivers for graphics cards, webcams, mics, printers, other software programs, anything. We would have to create software lists to see what I have and others don't.

All known solutions I have tried now, but nothing has worked. I can only try the Fat32 thing, or I wil have to go look for help elsewhere.. perhaps even professional help.

Tomisama
01-19-2006, 04:54
Well I gave it a shot.

Dusted off Shogun. Loaded it on my XP. Upgraded to 1.12 and loaded the 1.16 Community Map Pack. Ran Shambles TW and picked Shambles server. A few tries later, I was logged in.

The only problems I encountered besides the login tries were an intermittent buzzing audio (rarely), and intermittent flashing background screen (the red one). Everything else worked fine.

I’m writing this just to let you know “it can be done”. I think that you probably have some kind of corruption on your program disk is all. See if you can find another copy of the game. I still see them on store shelves from time to time, for about ten bucks.

Good Luck :bow:

Edit:

Read this again this morning, and realized that my suggestion is probably not the answer for your problem (just trying to help).

In re-reading your posts, one thing bothered me.

and copied my old internet.cfg file into the main folder

That’s not how I got there, though it may work.

Have you run the Shambles TW program, and made your server selection with that yet?

R'as al Ghul
01-19-2006, 13:52
All known solutions I have tried now, but nothing has worked. I can only try the Fat32 thing, or I wil have to go look for help elsewhere.. perhaps even professional help.

This is completely insane. How can it be that some of us can join while others can not? And don't get me started about hosting. :wall:

Shambles, mate, you know anything about Microsoft's "Remote Access" tool?
You could try to get on drisos machine (with his permission) and see
if you can fix it?
I haven't tried this procedure before but in my work environment the admins use it quite effectively.

Edit:

In re-reading your posts, one thing bothered me.
Quote:
and copied my old internet.cfg file into the main folder
That’s not how I got there, though it may work.
Have you run the Shambles TW program, and made your server selection with that yet?

I'd give that a shot, too but the internet.cfg contains only text.
You should see it at a glance if it's ok or not.

Just A Girl
01-19-2006, 14:00
Yes i am fully capable of accesing pc's In a multitude of diferent ways,

the remote acces tool would not be my 1st choice usualy,
But it is probably the safest way,
As invites sent from remote access will expire. So the cannot be used by other people at a later date.

I can easily acces his pc given permission.
Hopwever this does not mean that i can fix it.
Although.
i could have a quick look and see if anything Is out of place,

R'as al Ghul
01-19-2006, 14:21
I can easily acces his pc given permission.
Hopwever this does not mean that i can fix it.
Although.
i could have a quick look and see if anything Is out of place,

That's what I meant. Clearly you have more knowledge and routine than
drisos (no offense, drisos). Maybe it's an easy problem.
I think it's worth a try.

Drisos
01-19-2006, 16:57

I'm confident the configuration is correct. Because I do connect with the server (others see something like a name appear) but I can't log in.

Good to see you here btw, Tomisama. :bow:

Indeed R'as, it is insane. And it really frustrating me bigtime! :shame:

That's what I meant. Clearly you have more knowledge and routine than
drisos (no offense, drisos).

Of course no offense taken.. hehe Shambles knows a lot more about it then me indeed. I do trust Shambles, but how can it be that he can just acess my computer??!! won't my firewall block him? I mean, if he can others could as well. We could do this, but I doubt it will help much. We just got this computer, and haven't done much with it. I doubt there's anything 'out of place', If I understand what you meant with 'out of place'. though I don't know what else might be causing this.

I have wireless logitech mouse and keyboard. and logitech boxes. A HP printer. A philips flatscreen. A radeon gfx card. Pentium 4 processor. don't know much more about hardware without looking at paper stuff but perhaps there is some of these things that need software which might some way take something out of place which keeps me from logging in. (very unrealistic, but, as r'as said, why shouldn't I be able to log in when others can)

Wilbo
01-19-2006, 18:00
Without reading back -

Drisos, you could try doing a Windows update, to make sure you're all up to date on all the Windows Service Packs etc. They can make a difference. I would then, once again, just check that the Windows firewall isn't activated.

The Service Packs, I believe, can affect Shogun, but could also stop the game from working at all... I believe that you just need to make sure that Shogun is fully patched and up to date, your Shogun settings are definitely correct and that the Window's firewall is turned off.

I can appreciate that this must be very frustrating for you - I had the same problem myself for quite a while, which is why I've never really played Shogun multi.

Tomisama
01-20-2006, 01:41
Just as a double check, your CFG file should read:

ChatserverIPAddress = ShogunTW.no-ip.info
ChatserverPort = 8793
NewsserverIPAddress = daphne.eagames.co.uk
NewsserverPort = 8797
ShogunTotalWarWebsite = http://dflw.2ya.com

And are you at least patched to v1.12?
There were several fixes for connection problems in those early patches.

And as stated above, are your Windows updates, up-to-date?
New computers do not automatically come updated.

A general principal of troubleshooting says that 80% of problems are simple and in plain view, we just don't see them :inquisitive:

Drisos
01-20-2006, 17:22
Well I just got this computer for a few weeks... would it need windows updates already??

I checked firewall+internet.cfg file again. Everything ok. :juggle2:

It can't be my shogun copy either... I could log in with in on the old computer.

oh and Tomi, I have STW WE. so it's patch 1.02.

btw everything ok with the hunters? ~:) :yes:

Jochi Khan
01-20-2006, 21:51
Drisos...

Have you got Windows XP with SP2 installed?
Have you run a Windows update? Yes, even new pc's are not 'new' the OS could have been loaded months ago.

Check these two things first.

I am running Windows XP SP2 (regularly updated)

I have connected to Shambles server with STW (old stw)v1.12 and
STW/WE v1.02 with no problems.

Jochi

Drisos
01-21-2006, 09:34
Hiya Jochi,

What's SP2? I'm afraid I don't know if I have it:embarassed: :embarassed: :shame:

Going to check for windows update now.:juggle2:

Just A Girl
01-21-2006, 13:27
SP2
means service pack 2.

Windows xp released a service pack, That helped adress a lot of issues with xp.
(SP1)
This wasnt the best theyd ever done so after a while the released SP 2.
After updating there pc's with these service packs Many people suffered problems.
So have been advizing people not to use them.

But Jochi is right.
You should make sure you do have SP2 installed,
It seems to be fine now any way.
Dosent seem to cause errors or CTD's like it used to.

To get SP2
You just need to run windows update.

It's best to update everything you can.

All my xp updates are fully installed,
And theres no problems with them any more.

Jochi Khan
01-22-2006, 01:31
Service Pack2 can be downloaded from the Microsoft site

I'llsee if I can dig up the link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

Try here

Sasaki Kojiro
01-22-2006, 03:05
Interesting, I have SP2 and shogun worked for me.

Drisos
01-22-2006, 15:14
Windows updates and SP2 done... Will soon give shogun a couple of more tries, using any tips that have been shared all the same time. Any more things I can try?

Tomisama
01-23-2006, 04:27
Learned something today that might be important.

Created Shogun v1.12 and was able to log on.

Added Warlord v1.02 in same folder (my error), and was able to log on.

Set up Warlord in it's own folder, with diffrent key, and same name. And could not log on!

Changed name, and was able to log on.

While playing today, Arcade had to log on using Arcade18 because he had been droped, and could not log again on using the "same name".

Drisos, have you tried diffrent names (probably have but though I'd suggest)?

You will still have to try to log about three times (I do), but you will get in eventully if all else is right.

Just A Girl
01-23-2006, 05:16
Learned something today that might be important.

Created Shogun v1.12 and was able to log on.

Added Warlord v1.02 in same folder (my error), and was able to log on.

Set up Warlord in it's own folder, with diffrent key, and same name. And could not log on!

While playing today, Arcade had to log on using Arcade18 because he had been droped, and could not log again on using the "same name".

Drisos, have you tried diffrent names (probably have but though I'd suggest)?

You will still have to try to log about three times (I do), but you will get in eventully if all else is right.

Thats Interesting.

Were all the wralord files installed in to the same directory as shogun origional?

I mean

was shogun.exe and shogunW.exe In the same folder?
(or whatever the respective exe names are)

If they were that implys there may be a File in the oriogional stw game folder that allows easier acsess to the server.
(I know that the origional shogun doesent suffer log in probs.)

I will probably have gone to see what aditional files there are with the origional STW by the time you read this, but please reply

R'as al Ghul
01-23-2006, 09:48

This could be the fakeserver error we all know.
Sometimes when logging out of the lobby or being dropped
by the server, your login is still seen in the lobby but you're
logged out. You can't login again because your name/nick is still
logged in. :dizzy2:

Tomisama
01-23-2006, 13:42
What happened was, I tried to load Warlord in the same folder, as if it were an expansion (requiring the host game). As soon as I started the process, I knew I had made a mistake. But time was short for Sundays S.O.S. 7PM GMT meeting, so I let it ride, allowing all duplicate files to be overwritten. The key and connection information were blank in the overwrite, so remained the same as they had been with Shogun, and I was able to log on, no problem. The install never ask me for a key, and the internet information was already there when I went to log in.

Later, when I went to re-install the game properly, the install ask me for a key, and the connection info was blank when I went to log in. This time used the Warlord key for the install (had to), and also for the connection info. That with the name and password I had used earlier, I could no longer log on.

I believe if I would have used the same information for the connection that I had use before (Shogun key for connection only), I would have been able to log on. But because there was a different key, the server would not let me.

I changed my name to go with the new key, and loged on...

I have not had a chance to try using the Shogun key (for connection info only) and my origional name, but will this evening.

Tomisama
01-24-2006, 03:40
OK!

Thoroughly tested.

The relationships between key, name, and password, have nothing to do with the ability to log on.
I tried various combinations of all three, and even “none” of the three (all blank), and was still able to log on. In that case, the server gave me the family name as my only name.

Thought I was onto something…but alas… :embarassed:

Just A Girl
01-26-2006, 01:03
OK!

Thoroughly tested.

The relationships between key, name, and password, have nothing to do with the ability to log on.
I tried various combinations of all three, and even “none” of the three (all blank), and was still able to log on. In that case, the server gave me the family name as my only name.

Thought I was onto something…but alas… :embarassed:

Well i honestly beleve that this bit was the most interesting of what you said.

What happened was, I tried to load Warlord in the same folder, as if it were an expansion (requiring the host game). As soon as I started the process, I knew I had made a mistake. But time was short for Sundays S.O.S. 7PM GMT meeting, so I let it ride, allowing all duplicate files to be overwritten. The key and connection information were blank in the overwrite, so remained the same as they had been with Shogun, and I was able to log on, no problem.

seems to imply that theres a way to add files from origional shogun to WE and make it log on easier.

Tomisama
01-27-2006, 13:19
Later, when I went to re-install the game properly, the install ask me for a key, and the connection info was blank when I went to log in. This time used the Warlord key for the install (had to), and also for the connection info. That with the name and password I had used earlier, I could no longer log on.
This was for some “unknown” reason, that gave the illusion that there was something to the different installations. Further testing, and a second fresh install that should have duplicated the problem, didn’t! I am pretty much satisfied that the inability to log on mentioned above was a fluke, and that the real cause may never be known...

Drisos
01-27-2006, 17:08
R'as, it can't be the 'same name' problem - because of my auto-logouts, I exactly know what error it gives, and it's not the same as this one. I get stuck at 'logging in...' while it you are logged out and your name is still in, you will see a message 'have you registered at www.totalwar.com?'

because of a 'emergency' situation at two other forums I couldn't run some tests today... hopefully tomorrow morning then... crossed fingers :2thumbsup:

Tomisama
01-28-2006, 01:13
One of these trys you are going to see "LOGGING ON" change to "LOGGED ON" and totaly flip out :jawdrop:

Crossing fingers with you :charge:

Just A Girl
01-28-2006, 01:52
Its true drisos,
Remember in the begining when i 1st opend the server?

I had probs geting in..
30 mins of trying at times..
Even with the horrible xp log on probs not geting fixed.
its still posible to get in to the foyer by pure luck.

Drisos
02-01-2006, 16:17
I tried logging in with the mixed up install... no succes either. :juggle2:

The only effect it has is that I can't play shogun original and shogun we runs badly...:no:

Next thing to try?:embarassed:

Tomisama
02-02-2006, 04:07
If I were you I would:

1. Uninstall everything Shogun using Add and Remove Programs.

2. Check to be sure the Shogun folder is gone. If not, remove it.

3. Use System Restore to restore your system back to before you did the double Shogun install.

4. Run your hard drive Error Check with Auto Fix on.

5. Derangement you hard drive, even if it says you don’t have to.

6. Turn you computer off, and then cold start. Do not just Restart.

7. Check to be sure CHOICE is in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 file.

7. Install the original Shogun.

8. Upgrade to version 1.12.

9. Install Shambles TW in the game's main folder.

10. Find STWserver batch file in that folder and run it, selecting Shambles server.

11. Check shamblesSTW folder’s CFG file says:

ChatserverPort = 8793
NewsserverPort = 8797

12. Reboot your computer and try to login again.

13. If that works, move on to installing Warlord Invasion by it’s self, as it should be.

14. Upgrade Warlord to version 1.02.

15. Install Shambles TW in the Warlord game's main folder.

16. Find STWserver in that folder and run it, selecting Shambles server.

17. Check shamblesSTW folder’s CFG file says the same as above.

If you can logon with Shogun, you should be able to logon with Warlord. It just may take more tries each time.

P.S. Don’t skip any steps, and pay close attention to the results of each action. Make sure that what you intended actually happened, before you move on to the next step.

Windows XP should have no problem running either program. And you should have no problem logging on with either.

Good Luck :2thumbsup:

Just A Girl
02-02-2006, 04:42
if you cant run the bat file use libaryfiles.exe from my downloads to allow the use of bat files.

But im prety sure you can run them.

I would imagine that the scan disk and defrag steps above arent actualy needed But It would be better to do them any way.

Scandisk and defrag IMO should be done on atleast a monthly basis any way.

The post above seems reasonable.
And also seems asthoug it can potentialy work.

The origional shogun doesnt suffer from the xp login problems.
so if you cant log in with that.
Its probable that its something els thats stoping you.

Tomisama
02-02-2006, 05:16
The Defrag is to scrunch things up and hopefully change the actual physical location on the disk of the next install, just incase there were any problems there.

I’ve put together the files necessary for the Warlord install (doing it for my Clan)
if they are needed by anyone :wink:

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/shogun/

Just A Girl
02-02-2006, 05:46
Your missing the larger map packs my freind.
You can downlaod them from my web page,
No waiting needed.
Sorry but ive had to dissalow cross linking.
So i wont be giving you a direct link to the file,

All the map packs and the update are in the downloads section of my web page under map,

You may like to look there and download what you need and then add them to your site.

I had a bit of a tough time finding the 304 map pack and the update.
some 1 sent them to me via msn,
so as far as i know
The only place you can find em is my web page. Or prehaps here on the org.

Drisos
02-02-2006, 16:04
I think they're on Clan Takiyama site and indeed here at the .org as well ~:)

Oki Tomisama I will be doing that stuff sometime soon hopefully. I will add one thing: change the shortcuts into windows compatibility mode and perhaps disabling firewall and bypassing router, but it should work anyway.

and I promise to take at least 100 tries ~;):laugh4: :2thumbsup: :sweatdrop: :embarassed: :dizzy2:

Tomisama
02-03-2006, 01:48
Thanks guys! I did find that I had the packs for 303 and 304. I also found a folder called MS-DOS 6.22, which if I remember right to be loaded into your SYSTEM32 file, to make it possible to run older software on XP. It has CHOICE and other files missing from the XP DOS.

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/shogun/

That may be the same thing that is accomplished by the Libraryfiles.exe?

It’s one of those things you do once, and forget about it. But it is there, doing it’s thing whenever (years later) you have needed it to be.

I had some strange effects from the compatibility mode, and am sure don’t need to go that way. Suggestions for the firewall and router bypass would have come later, if completing the above steps did not work. But the clean install has to come first :smile:

Drisos
02-04-2006, 21:32
sorry - I'm not used to english when it's about windows...

what is system restore? how do I do that?

Tomisama
02-05-2006, 02:59
Start - Help and Support, and under Additional resources, you will find System Restore. You want to “restore my computer to a previous time”.

Pick a date before you did the double install, but after you installed Service Pack 2, and restore to that date. This is just a precautionary step, as we don’t know if there were any changes made that might effect future installs of Warlord.

Better to waste some time doing some things “just in case”, than not knowing if it might have been one of those things.

Drisos
02-06-2006, 16:59
Done.

Next problem: Is it possible to manually change the needed stats from Shogun original's installation 'patch'.(probably 1.00) into 1.12. (I mean the stats needed to make it possible to play with others on 1.12)

I don't seem to be able to run shogun normally when installing 1.12. I know it did run ok when I didn't patch and only installed to play some SP, years ago.

If I manage to log in with Shogun Original I would like to play it with Tomisama and perhaps some others.. in case I can't get it work with WE.
But if I can't get it to run at all.. I will have to get a new shogun original copy.

Sasaki Kojiro
02-06-2006, 17:59
Done.

Next problem: Is it possible to manually change the needed stats from Shogun original's installation 'patch'.(probably 1.00) into 1.12. (I mean the stats needed to make it possible to play with others on 1.12)

I don't seem to be able to run shogun normally when installing 1.12. I know it did run ok when I didn't patch and only installed to play some SP, years ago.

If I manage to log in with Shogun Original I would like to play it with Tomisama and perhaps some others.. in case I can't get it work with WE.
But if I can't get it to run at all.. I will have to get a new shogun original copy.

The stats for original shogun are not viewable or editable.

Tomisama
02-07-2006, 01:23
Drisos,

Everyone I have run across on the server so far is playing WE/MI.

The whole idea of loading the original Shogun and upgrading to v1.12 was to test your ability to log on. If you can’t log on with the origional STW, which is easier (I understand), you probably won’t be able to log on with STW WE/MI.

The process is to do the easiest things first (baby steps), and work up to getting you fully functional.

Can you log on with the original Shogun, and/or with it upgraded to version 1.12?

Drisos
02-07-2006, 07:40
I can't run shogun original normally... and I can't get to the Multiplayer Menu.
So I can't log in.

I will be trying it by leaving shogun unpatched...

Drisos
02-07-2006, 17:15
I tried using Shogun Original version 1.01.

No succeses after about 25 tries...

Tomisama
02-08-2006, 01:49
OK. I just did the same thing.

7. Install the original Shogun.

8. Upgrade to version 1.12. (I did not upgrade, to stay with you)

9. Install Shambles TW in the game's main folder.

10. Find STWserver batch file in that folder and run it, selecting Shambles server.

11. Check shamblesSTW folder’s CFG file says:

ChatserverPort = 8793
NewsserverPort = 8797

12. Reboot your computer and try to login again.

Without any changes to “anything”, was able to log on in two tries.

Now, we need to start here to solve the problem. Adding anything else (upgrades) will only complicate matters.

Have you done "exactly" as I have done above?

Kansuke
02-08-2006, 14:38
I had no problems on XP either.

BTW, your not copying the old directx 8 are you?

Drisos
02-09-2006, 09:00
Yes Tomi have done exactly that. Something must be different on our computers.. we need to find that and eliminate the change at mine.

Kansuke, what do you mean with the directX comment? I installed 8.0 from the shogun WE cd. is that ok?

Kansuke
02-09-2006, 09:42
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thats it. XP uses a newer version ie directx 9, so u need to update this, uninstall STW/WE install it again without directx 8.

STW/WE works fine with directx 9.

Kans.

R'as al Ghul
02-09-2006, 10:53
Kansuke, what do you mean with the directX comment? I installed 8.0 from the shogun WE cd. is that ok?

If it's not a directx issue, like Kansuke suggests, we may have to think
about your modem/router issue again.
I looked into the manual for your Acer Speedtouch 580 and found out that,
similar to my router, you have two choices to connect:
1. Store the information (Online-Name and password) needed to connect to the internet in the router
2. Don't save any info in the router but use it as a dial-up modem.

Option 1 means you're (or rather your router) always online. When you open
your browser it connects instantly.
Option 2 means you create a dial-up-connection in Windows. This means
you're only online when this connection has been manually started.
Also, all other features of the router like firewall etc. are then disabled because it acts like a modem.

The idea behind this is that Shogun is that old that it may not work correctly with routers. I intend to check this out myself some time in the future because I guess this could solve my hosting problems.

Kansuke
02-09-2006, 12:00
My bad, I thought he couldn't get stw/we running, oops.

R'as al Ghul
02-09-2006, 13:01
My bad, I thought he couldn't get stw/we running, oops.

His problem is that he can't connect to the lobby.
You could be right about directx nonetheless. In directx there's also
directplay whic is used for MP.
I was also thinking about the other problem (hosting) that drisos and I still have.

Drisos
02-10-2006, 17:21
Where can I find directX 9.0?

ehmmm, any suggestions left?

It obviously isn't working, neither on stw original. configuration is correct. I have choice. I have XP SP2. I have tried it without a router. I have tried without firewall.

No succes.

The last thing to try seems to be changing a partition into fat32. Plz tell me how, someone...

I will also be heading for other places where people might know how to fix this kind of problems.

it would truly be a very BIG disappointment in my life, if I can't get stw to run. Shogun mp is my greatest hobby, you see.

R'as al Ghul
02-10-2006, 20:15
Drisos,

if you have Rome you can install it from the CD,
otherwise simply go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/default.htm)
and download it.
Concerning fat32 you can, if you have a spare partition, simply
go to "Computeradministration" and per right-click format a drive
into a fat32 drive.
Iirc you don't have an empty spare partition.
To explain how to create one, that is how to partition your drive
is quite complicated, but I'll see if I can find a Howto.
Don't despair.

Just A Girl
02-10-2006, 20:23
I can walk him through the partitioning and formating in to fat 32.
But he will loose all his stuff that he has on the pc now.
So im avoiding that course of action.

Tomisama
02-11-2006, 00:33
By all accounts posted here, it should not be necessary to reformat.

There are other things that can and should be done first.

Contact your internet provider, and explain the problem. Make an appointment with a tech service at a local shop, or have the Geek Squad make a visit, whatever.

If you start doing things you personally don’t understand, you could be digging your self even deeper into the hole on this.

XP wise, this is a "no brainer". Shogun works on XP fine. There is something else wrong. It could be as simple as something wrong with your copy of STW, or it might be with your internet provider.

Have you tried other Total War programs, and verified that they do or don’t work with your computer and connection?

Have you picked up another copy of Warlord (or Shogun) yet, to give that a try?

Please do the simplest and least expensive things first :wink:

Just A Girl
02-11-2006, 01:45
Actualy This problem is 100% xp based.
And only afects Xp systems.

What exactly the problem stw has with xp is yet to be discoverd.
But the situaton only occurs under windows xp.
Prehaps NT as well as they use the same basic design.
NT was never designed to run games, And as such XP is not built on the best foundations.

I fixed the same problem By fixing my windows XP to run with it.
I did Lots and Fat 32 was the thing that worked.
Meaning that xp no longer uses The NTFS system which was NEVER designed to work well with games.

Others using xp, dont suffer the problem to such a degree Although All xp users Suffer from the log in problem, No xp user can log in to the foyer in 1 try every time. (98 users can,)

This has been a known STW issue since Xp's release. And has undoubtedly helped the demize of the MP comunity since.

Tomisama
02-11-2006, 15:02
Others using xp, dont suffer the problem to such a degree Although All xp users Suffer from the log in problem, No xp user can log in to the foyer in 1 try every time. But all XP users “can eventually” logon.

Drisos can not even achieve this basic level of inefficiency.

That’s why I say his current problem is not XP.

Though there may be ways to improve performance by changing formats, if he can not gain connection even “one time” now, there is something else wrong!

Tomisama
02-11-2006, 15:05
I can't run shogun original normally... and I can't get to the Multiplayer Menu.
So I can't log in.

I will be trying it by leaving shogun unpatched...

Here is a possible clue?

Tomisama
02-11-2006, 15:59
The patch for the original Shogun is v1.12

The patch for Shogun WE/MI is v1.02

If you add the v1.02 to the original Shogun, it wont work.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm

And I was able to logon to your server with the original STW, "unpatched", in two tries.

That is a good test.

And I can logon with my firewall “on” and “no” services running settings checked.

Maybe he needs your libraryfiles program?

http://shoguntw.2ya.com/Index11.htm

He may need to add the “MS-DOS 6.22” files to “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32” folder.

Just open the MS-DOS folder and copy and add the contents to SYSTEM32.

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/shogun

:book:

Drisos
03-06-2006, 16:41
Windows Firewall is permanently shut off.. since a long time. I don't use it beacuse I have norton. Besides, the only problem firewalls seem to cause have to do with hosting games. (which is bad enough of course...)

Thanks for you guys efforts to help so far. sadly I still can't log in, and I am still dying to get back. I miss you guys, and the game. In little more then a year, I would be able to get my own comp, and things would be easier. But now, it seems like there's not much options left. the conversion to a fat32 partition might fix it... but I'm afraid that such action will need me to install all software on the computer again and my parents will not be happy with that... can't get another os either, or another comp(for now).

It seems like this 'common' problem is not so well known in the community after all... I have been working with it a lot, because I was constantly trying to get as many people in the foyer, old and new. Some had this problem, to call a few of the well-known names: IsaneApache, Kaneyashi, MizuCBR. they couldn't login at all, just like me. it seems like it's the same problem shambles has. shambles has it 'less' and is able to log in most of the time. however, the tricks to give me more chance to log in haven't had any succes so far. The problem is not about wrong installing, configuration or just some game settings... it is caused by something that goes along with XP. all people who have it, have XP. not all who have XP, have the problem. It can be something about XP itself, or something which is only on new computers(which always have XP... so it seems it's about XP), I think.

I am trying to find a big forum for any technical problems.. I can explain there and hope for a way to fix this. it must be possible somehow...

R'as al Ghul
03-06-2006, 17:02
Drisos, mate, I'm sad to hear that.
I can't find any time atm to play on the server myself. So, I know how you're feeling.

4 things to consider:

1. Do you have the possibility to get the PartitionMagic program? (it's the easiest and possibly only way (without using linux) to partition your drive and keep Win XP alive)
2. Do you have any old hardrive lying around. (put it in and format it to fat32)
3. There's a way to install more than one OS on a hardrive. (I have a dual boot with linux, dual boot with win98 is possible)
4. GAH!!!!

Drisos
03-06-2006, 17:28
1 - I don't know, what does it take?
2 - sadly not :(
3 - intresting thing to consider... is it just like installing a program, then running it and windows changes into 'other os'? :)

R'as al Ghul
03-06-2006, 19:13
1. The recent version is too expensive. Over 100€ I guess.
An older second hand copy would do.
2. :(
3. OS=Operating System. Win XP is just one out of hundreds possible.
One of the others is linux. There's however not one linux-os but different
vrsions, so called derivates. One of these derivatives is SUSE.
That's what I have installed.
Before I had installed it I already had win xp which I didn't want to loose. That's exactly the situation SUSE is prepared to deal with. Now, SUSE is capable of modifying the so called MAster Boot Record of your hardrive.
That's the first physical sector on the drive. It stores info that's needed to boot the OS. SUSE installs a so called bootloader that's loaded first and gives you the opportunity to chose which OS is going to be booted. (Dual boot system)
I usually have my win xp on default, so when I turn on my machine it directly (with 5 sec delay in the bootloader menu in case i want to change the OS) boots into windows.
Now, we come to the most interesting part. SUSE brings a tool called YAST (j(y)ust another setup tool), which is capable of partitioning your harddrive during the SUSE install without harming windows. (you only need to have it defragged)
You can easily partion the whole drive like you want to including
a fat32 partition. Basically it lets you do everything you ever wanted.
Did I mention it's free an certainly has a dutch version? :wink:
Download is ca. 700MB.
You should really consider it. The pros are that whenever windows has any probs you still have the other OS to check the internet for help, you can safely scan your windows for spy, malware and viruses and it's genrally very safe in terms of internet surfing. You would however have to give up a few gigs to the new system.

is it just like installing a program, then running it and windows changes into 'other os'?
So basically it's like, installing a big program and creating the fat32 drive out of thin air without harming windows or windows even noticing. :laugh4:
How large is your drive?
Btw, did you install the latest directx 9c?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE

1 - I don't know, what does it take?
2 - sadly not :(
3 - intresting thing to consider... is it just like installing a program, then running it and windows changes into 'other os'? :)

Drisos
03-08-2006, 14:05
Sounds intresting!!! If I download that I can run shogun on another OS and on a fat32 partition... two chances of solves the problem at once! :)

I will sure try this out... I have more then enough GB (160), but the download time will be quite long. I can download about 80 kb/sec, so the download time will be almost three hours. It will be hard to find three hours somewhere. I will do it the first time I can find a three hours somewhere. ~;)

I assume a link to the download is on the wikipedia page as well?

oh and, no don't have directx9c yet... I will find that through google and get it today.

R'as al Ghul
03-08-2006, 14:26
Drisos,

you will only be able to run Shogun under Windows. It's not really supported by linux. There's however a windows emulator called wine, that might work with older games. (It's included in SUSE)
The idea to use linux is a workaround to get the desired fat32 partition.
The SUSE install can get really big, also there're two versions, DVD (4gigs)and CD(700MB).
There's another option. You can get Knoppix (700MB), which brings the Partition Magic Clone qtpart. I've heard that it's also easy to use.
Either way, I'd recommend to print out some how-to's concerning installation procedure. Read it through and sleep over it.
Before you install SUSE defrag your drive. It's important.
Be aware that a linux system does some things different. Your harddrive that you know as C:\ will be called hda (hd=Harddisk,a=first). When you create a second partition it will be hdb etc. One partition will be swap, it will handle the swap-memory known as pagefile under winxp.
I suggest to give the linux partition 5 gigs and the swap 500MB-1gig.
Another possible partition (don't know what the defaults will do) is home, where all your settings and documents will be stored.
You can always mail me or pm me for further help.
PLEASE, before you do anything else, go to microsoft and get directx.
It contains files for directplay, which are used to connect to MP. That may already be enough to login.
Download links are on wikipedia or easy to find via google.

Drisos
03-08-2006, 15:53
Have updated directx to directx9.0c

Tried about 15 logins... no succes. :no:

ehmm, a question on SUSE - will things be different when I choose to run in windows? (like the hda instead of C)

R'as al Ghul
03-08-2006, 16:06
No, it won't be different under XP.
In windows everything will be as before.
One difference though, since you will use SUSE to "steal" some gigs
from the harddisk without Windows being involved, Win will recognize
that some space is missing and will run a check on the disk, suspecting that
something is wrong. The check wil come clean and all is back to normal.

SUSE just uses different "names" for the same things. You won't have a harddisk C: under SUSE but hda. There're other differences but don't worry, it brings a nice graphic surface like windows has, a startmenu etc.

Sorry to hear that the directx update didn't help. It could've been so easy.

Drisos
03-08-2006, 16:12
Okey, will try to find some time to read about SUSE check if there's no problems. If all is ok I will download it... hopefully with 'yast' and 'wine' I'll be able to get back in the foyer...

R'as al Ghul
03-08-2006, 16:17
I realize this is a big step.
Remember though, if you have SUSE installed and want to get rid of it,
it's very easy. You need to boot once with your windows cd and clear
the master boot record (I'll you how when we get there) and afterwards you
just go to Computer-Administration and change the new linux partition back to windows and everything will be as before.
Oh and when you're in the install procedure of SUSE, nothing will happen until you confirm the setup.

R'as al Ghul
03-08-2006, 18:44
about Using SUSE to repartition an MS partition (http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15835.html)

https://img358.imageshack.us/img358/3228/dqpartitionhtmlm6a160ab02wz.gif
Clicking next with Shrink Windows partition selected brings up this screen for resizing your existing Win partition.

https://img467.imageshack.us/img467/517/dqpartitionhtmlm645a15175qg.gif

You can use the slider in this window to change how big you want each partition. Click next when you are satisfied. The partition resizing won't be done until the hard drive reformatting stage. That is after you press accept on the main YaST window, so you can go back and change it at any time before pressing accept.

You should also change the boot loader options so that it will boot your Win OS as the default, usually after the default 10 seconds, which you can change to longer if you wish for more time. When you decide that you want Linux to boot first, you can change it later with YaST.

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/6075/dqpartitionhtml6789fb8c8bm.gif

Drisos
03-10-2006, 07:20
Thanks for all the info. I'm having the computer for about 10 hours saturday, and will be reading a bit about SUSE and the probably be installing it. First thing to try is yast. then I can try shogun. if it works I can deinstall SUSE buit maintain the partition.

if it does not, I can try the windows emulator...

Well, I have good hope! ~:) ~:) If all goes smooth I might be able to catch some SamOnSat games ~:)

R'as al Ghul
03-10-2006, 11:16
Just be sure what you're doing.
Make a backup of your important data and defrag windows before the install.
Yast is the tool that will guide you through the whole setup process.
During the setup you'll be given the opportunity to repartition (as shown above), be sure to create the fat32 drive in that step.
After the installation, boot windows and make a fresh install of Shogun on the new fat32 partition.

I wish you luck. As said before, you can email me any time.
I trust you still have my address. I'll be home on saturday
working at my computer.