PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Total War

Tanit
01-10-2006, 23:27
I am not a modder myself. I have neither the software nor the knowledge. However, I just thought that EB's map and units could be used for a slightly different time frame, such as that of Alexander, and if there are any real modders out there who are interested I would be happy to compile the information for them. I have the most basic ideas put together already, though my sources are limited, and I wish to present what I have come up with. The year is 335 BC and Phillip II has just been assassinated leaving the young, 20 year old Alexander on the throne of Makedonia, ready to conquer the Persian Empire.

Alexander Total War 335 BC

For Sure Factions
Karthadastim
Rome
Makedonia
Koinon Hellenon
Getai
Aedui
Iberia

New Factions
Persia
Etruscans
Illyria

Questionable Factions
Casse
Sweboz
Sarmatians
Epeiros
Arverni
Yuezhi
Baktria

Cut Factions
Ptolemoi
Arche Seleukia
Pahlava
Hayasdan
Pontus

I have an EB map with rough territories on it but I am unable to post it right now.

Dayve
01-11-2006, 00:59
Sounds great if someone can do it!

QwertyMIDX
01-11-2006, 01:39
A map far less focused on the west would make more sense. More of India and more provinces in the near east would be the way to go.

Dayve
01-11-2006, 01:42
I eas thinking the same thing... Perhaps some of the north of the map axed as well?

Tanit
01-11-2006, 03:25
A map far less focused on the west would make more sense. More of India and more provinces in the near east would be the way to go.

Well you have to remember that Alexander did worry about the rising power of the city state of Rome upon his return to Babylon and realized he might have to deal with them. Also, upon his return from India he was approached by diplomats from Carthage, Libya and Gaul. So the west was a rising power that Alexander recognized and many of them either wanted to escape his notice or gain him as an ally to intimidate others.

Dooz
01-11-2006, 17:38
I think this would be the perfect mod for EB eventually. Of course assuming that it's a good while after EB has officially been completed, including being ported and whatnot. But based on everything in the mod, and all the possibilities EB has developed, a mod such as this would be the next logical step.

Geoffrey S
01-12-2006, 21:00
More eastern areas would be great. Also, it'd be nice to start with Philip II as king; see if I can make Alexander worthwhile as heir, and possibly just assassinate Philip for kicks.

Tanit
01-13-2006, 05:07
It would be more exciting to start at Phillip's death. Not only do you have to deal with the military and political situation you have been plunged into, but you can also have the continuing intrigue about who did kill Phillip? Hunt down possible murderers and try to prove to the Greeks and Macedonians that youe innocent while you endeavor to conquer the world.

jerby
01-14-2006, 20:31
take into account that 60% of EB's units aren't 330BC compatible...
a 100 years of military deleopment is a lot...Pezhetairoi looked completly different (phrygian helmet, ie)

noobtastic
01-16-2006, 09:00
There is one being made for RTR 7.0

http://forums.rometotalrealism.org//index.php?showforum=26

Aside from that, EB is still in its beta stage. Don't look for a mod being made for it for some time. They have to finish EB first!

Mr Jones
01-20-2006, 00:28
wouldn't KH be conquered at this stage? possibly others as well, i am not sure about illyrians and what not.

Keba
01-20-2006, 00:43
There was Sparta, and maybe Rhodes. I don't know about the others.

nic
03-01-2006, 02:47
I wouldn't worry about the mod being made for RTR as it seems to be petering out. Also, I think perhaps the Triballians might be more specifically relevant than just the Getai. I'd say with regard to factions that the fewer the better because obviously it would mean less work. I'd love to help in any way I could with a mod like that.

Ypoknons
04-11-2006, 21:02
No, Eprius invaded Italy at this time, so they should remain in such a mod. But certainly Spain was not a major concern of anyone's?

Homo Sapiens
04-11-2006, 22:02
No, the Koinen Hellenon wasn't around in the time of Alexander, as it was formed by Chremonides of Athens in 268 BC to counter the threat of Antigonus II and the Macedonians.

By the time Alexander took the throne, almost all of Greece was under Macedonian control. However, if the Greeks still get their own faction, I would say it should be the alliance of Athens, Sparta and Thebes against their Macedonian occupiers.

The Choosen
06-01-2006, 18:44
how are u going to get enough units to fill out the small mount of factions. plus the romans weren't to much of a factor until after the death of alexander the great. so i think a lot of thought would need to go into this. but it's a great idea cuz alexander is awesome. :)

Tanit
07-03-2006, 16:47
No, the Koinen Hellenon wasn't around in the time of Alexander, as it was formed by Chremonides of Athens in 268 BC to counter the threat of Antigonus II and the Macedonians.

By the time Alexander took the throne, almost all of Greece was under Macedonian control. However, if the Greeks still get their own faction, I would say it should be the alliance of Athens, Sparta and Thebes against their Macedonian occupiers.

I don't know about sparta but Athens and Thebes revolted against Alexander shortly after his fathers death while he was campaigning in the Illyrian area i think. And Koinen Hellenon doesn't just refer to Chremonidas, It simplky means allinace of greeks or something like that. Rome was facing off with the Etruscans at this time and one or the other was about to become the masters of the Italian peninsula.

Factions look like this sort of:
Gaul
Rome
Etruscans
Samnites
Carthaginians
Syraceuse
Illyria
Thrace
Makedon
Geek states
Persia
Scythians
India(Porrus)

Maybe:
spain
Britain
Germany

Tanit
07-03-2006, 16:48

I don't know about sparta but Athens and Thebes revolted against Alexander shortly after his fathers death while he was campaigning in the Illyrian area i think. And Koinen Hellenon doesn't just refer to Chremonidas, It simplky means allinace of greeks or something like that. Rome was facing off with the Etruscans at this time and one or the other was about to become the masters of the Italian peninsula.

Factions look like this sort of:
Gaul
Rome
Etruscans
Samnites
Carthaginians
Syraceuse
Illyria
Thrace
Makedon
Geek states
Persia
Scythians
India(Porrus)

Maybe:
spain
Britain
Germany

This could also be done as a mod of BI by EB going further back in time instead of ahead.

konny
11-09-2007, 14:18
Because there were no responses here since 03/2006, I suppose this project has long since passed away.

Anyway I would like to open it anew, because with the all the new units in EB 1.0, in the East in particular, it might be possible to create a "quick mod" in the sense of a "Prelude to EB, 360 BC to 260 BC". That is by useing the units and buildings that are allready in EB assinging new the territories and changeing some of the factions.

Ok, we have five free faction slots:
AS
Ptolemaians
Baktria
Pontos
Armenia

One of these will become the Persians, that means that four new factions can make it in. Let's see what's left:

Casse (unchanged)
Sweboz (unchanged)
Lusotannians (unchanged)
Carthage (unchanged/according to 360 BC territories)
Epiros (-Taras)
Makedonia (Pella only)

Arverni/Aedui: I think it would be better to have one faction in Gaul onyl (may be the Bituriges in Avaricum) and get an Italo-Celtic faction in instead. That should be one the tribes who settled in and around Mediolanum.

Italy: Rome is Latium only. Her enemies are the Etruscans and the Samnite. Of these I would like to make Etruscans Eleutheroi for three reasons:

1st We don't have any decent factional units for them and have to borrow units from other factions.

2nd When Rome is sandwiched with one town between two hostile factions, they won't make it out of the first 10 turns if controlled by the AI

3rd A rebell central Italy might encourage the Italian Celts to expand in that direction.

The Samnite will be the first faction to make in. The Roman unit stock can be divded between them with the Leves, Hastati, Principes, Triarii, both Extraordinarii and Equites for Northern Italy, and the Accensi, Rorari, Campanians and both Samnite for Southern Italy. Recruitable for both and extended to all EB 1.0 Roman homelands (there will be no reforms for the Romans, the game starts short after Camillus' death and ends long before the Polybian periode).

Greece I think there should be a second Greek faction (Thessaly? Sparte?) allied with KH and/or either Thessaly or Sparte Eleutheroi. That will make it easyer for a Makedonian player to get Greece under controll, since he is espected to steamroll Persia in the first place.

Balkans: May be switching Getai for Thracia would be an idea, or getting Thracia in as a new faction? That could prevent an AI Persia from expanding into Europe as long as Makedonia is still busy with the Greeks.

East: That is more or less completly Persian. An Indian faction would be debatable to distracted the Persian a little.

Others: Syracusae would be good to prevent the Samnite from running for those rebell towns in the south instead of fighting Rome. Either Scythia or the Bosporian Greeks could be an idea to hinder Persian expansion in that direction. Something along the Danube or the Baltics would be fine, but this sub-mod is very much focused on Makedonia and the Eastern Mediterranian, so spending a slot for NW-Europe is not good.

Units: Pretty much of the units of EB can be used for this earlyer periode, too, especially since the mod is streching into the starting periode of EB. I think, none of the units that are to be have by reforms in EB should make it in. Others can be made available by new reforms, or, like some of the successor units, become Makedonian units recuruitable on Persian territory.

The worst problem would be of course (apart from all the text editing), how to prevent Persia from overruning everyone else?

What do you think?

Malik of Sindh
11-09-2007, 14:26
A great idea.If you will start it,good luck!

Diamondj
11-09-2007, 15:30
There definitely shouldn't be an Epirus faction, its territory would be controlled by Alexander since he inherited that throne as well thanks to his mom.

konny
11-09-2007, 16:08
It is intended to start in or around 360 BC. That is before Olympia married Philipp and, as far as I know, Arybbas was still alive.

Admetos
11-09-2007, 17:01
Originally Posted by noobtastic
Aside from that, EB is still in its beta stage. Don't look for a mod being made for it for some time. They have to finish EB first!

Noobtastic indeed, EB hasn't been a beta since 0.8, and people calling it a beta was the reason this one was named 1.0, it seems that didn't work though...

konny
11-09-2007, 17:13
Please do not reply to posts previous to my first in this thread beacause they are more than 1 1/2 years old.

Admetos
11-09-2007, 17:20
:oops: Silly me, I didn't even notice. :sorry:

konny
11-09-2007, 22:41
Some conceptual ideas on armies usueing the EB models:

Italian Greeks (Syracusae)

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/178/italgriechenhi3.th.jpg (https://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=italgriechenhi3.jpg)

Makedonia (more interesting for what is missing)

https://img230.imageshack.us/img230/151/makedonmu2.th.jpg (https://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makedonmu2.jpg)

A possible Thrakian army

https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8200/thrakerfb4.th.jpg (https://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thrakerfb4.jpg)

The Persians

https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7056/persernv2.th.jpg (https://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=persernv2.jpg)

Much guesswork for this one. Were Kataphrakts a lot used by the Persians? I had limited them to the Kinsmen. Elephants?

Malik of Sindh
11-09-2007, 23:12
I know that pahlavans were much moer cavalry based then persians.Limited to kinsmen sounds good to me.

Diamondj
11-09-2007, 23:52
It is intended to start in or around 360 BC. That is before Olympia married Philipp and, as far as I know, Arybbas was still alive.
Oh, sorry I didn't read the date. I had assumed the campaign begins on the death of Phillip. Still though, it would be pretty cool if there was some way that Macedon could automatically take over Epirus's territory when Arybbas dies

Malik of Sindh
11-09-2007, 23:58
About the elephants,I think you should limit them to native mic in the Sindh province,because persians recruited their elephants from there IIRC.

konny
11-10-2007, 10:39
Yes, local MIC would be a good idea. There are other locals that I hadn't though about, too: "Greek Mercaneries" should be recruitable in locals MICs in the western Satrapies. But what were they? I think in Alexander's army this term refers to Iphikratians, but is it true for the Persian army well?

Still though, it would be pretty cool if there was some way that Macedon could automatically take over Epirus's territory when Arybbas dies

That is not possible, ASFAIK. I don't think that it would be accurate either because the Epirotes had their own king in Alexander I (a different Alexander than the Great), who started the war in Italy in the 330s. But it should be allied.

Gazius
11-10-2007, 20:00
Expand the map to India, make the extra unwanted terroritory unpassable and make the region part of the Sahara region. Now you've taken care of areas that we don't really care about. As far as re-allocating provinces, make cuts in several regions. From the Isles, take;Erain, Corieltauvae, Cambriae, Cornovae and from NW Africa take Phasania and Gaetulia. Mod the Africa part of the map to put a sahara province border between a fully expanded Carthage and Alexander/Ptolemy. I have personally never seen the AI take Auwjogotanoz, the small island off the coast of of the Scandanavian peninsula, so for all intents and purposes I'd say scrap it. You now have 7 provinces for india, and if it's argued more is needed, the only overallocation of provinces I feel is in Gaul/Germany, so you might want to take one or two from there.

A few more proposals. This should definitely be based on BI, and incorporate the loyalty ratings. Give Rome a counter faction, and make the late game interesting. The emerging factions will allow Baktria to form properly, as well as Pahlava, and any other appropriately emerging faction. It would also allow hording, which would be applied not only to those typical factions you expect, but even to give some depth to perhaps a political party that was driven from it's home. Perhaps use religion as a crude form of culture, with Greek, Roman and Other since these two particular cultures were the ones who dominated regions and slowly converted other cultures to their own ideals. Obviously a persian won't be happy about a barbarian, but neither culture tried to really change the other. Do cities have loyalty in BI? If not, I'd suggest client rulers, with some decent rates of movement for players and keep the current client ruler set up for AI. With client rulers for all, with family members representing generals only, you could give more depth to ruling a city compared to being a battle commander. If when Alexander dies, if his empire is formed, it will collapse into the appropriate factions. If he dies before his time, then depending on how much if anything was conquered, have the 3 generals emerge as contenders in Greece itself. I'd suggest play time be from the death of Alexanders father to either the current end game date, or, slightly before the historical time for the Imperial reforms, and cut them out in favor of giving more units to these new factions if the unit limit from the removed factions doensn't supply enough units to the new factions.

[edit - wrong button] Reasons for not including the KH, it was a alliance of city states, better represented by rebels I think. Other italian factions, nobody else on the peninsula from what I know had a taste for conquest quite like Rome. I noticed Illyria suggested, they only came together for a short while, and were interested in piracy not conquest so much, and thus perhaps give a large naval port to the rebels there with the ability to produce some strong ships. Or a lot of them, whatever. Casse are gone, what role did they really play? Did they ever invade the mainland? Did they even dominate the region? Not really. Arvernii: I believe the Aedui at this time were a stronger faction no? Either way, while it's regrettable to cut them, I again feel their better represented by rebels who oppose a individual tribe. Perhaps if we want a change of tribe there remove the Aedui for another Gaulic tribe that may seem more appropriate. Saka was my last faction that I feel ultimately should be sacrificed, in order to give romans late gameplay value, a counter faction and representing the civil wars. If the Saka were truly a hard competer, they would have been in the core collection of factions EB has had since .7x I feel.

Faction List:
[greek]
1)Makedonia
2)Ptolemy
3)Seleukia
4)Lysimachus
5)Epirus
6)Baktria
7)Eleutheroi
[Roman]
8)Rome
9)Counterfaction
[barbarian]
10)Aedui
11)Getai
12)Lusotannia
13)Sweboz
[steppe]
14)Sarmatian
[Eastern]
15)Pontos
16)Armenia
17)Persia
18)Pahlava
[Forgot their culture]
19)Karthage
20)Saba
[Indian]
21)Maurya

Cut factions:
Casse
KH
Saka
Arvernii

Malik of Sindh
11-10-2007, 20:18
Isn't this faction list strange?In 360 bc there were no Ptolemies or Seleucids (together with persians?Thats strange),and no Lysimachus.Why make Alexanders empire crumble?EB is about changing history,not replaying it.I can only see a way to include them if one of these are shadow faction of Maks,or if they are emergent.Saka should changed to massagetae, almost kicked some mak ass.

CaesarAugustus
11-10-2007, 22:34
Why all the discussion if the mod is dead anyway?

Malik of Sindh
11-10-2007, 22:36
Konny wants to revive it.

konny
11-11-2007, 01:11
Yes, provided there are some people that will join in. I can't make it all singlehanded. I had made some conceptual maps with homelands and expansion zones for possible new factions that I will upload tomorrow.

Expand the map to India, make the extra unwanted terroritory unpassable and make the region part of the Sahara region.

I didn't plan to make a new map. I wanted to use the EB map and the EB units to represent the periode. The idea is a "Prelude to EB" with using as much of the original game as possible. Of course, if someone is willing and able to make a new map that fits better, please step foreward. The same is for new units: there is something like the Immortals missing for the Persians. Another unit would be an Etruscian Hoplite in EB style.

This should definitely be based on BI, and incorporate the loyalty ratings. Give Rome a counter faction, and make the late game interesting.

I had thought on the BI as well for the possiblity to create a Makedon rebell faction for the East (certainly not all 4 of them). Hording would be fine, too. For example for a Celtic horde that comes down the Danube.

Roman counterfaction? The game ends around the time EB starts, there is no need for the possibility of a Roman civil war.

Faction List:
1)Makedonia
2)Ptolemy
3)Seleukia
4)Lysimachus
5)Epirus
6)Baktria

That would be four emerging factions for the Makedons. A little much, especially because the chance to get at least one into the game is very small: The AI won't conquer Persia and a human player won't have so much problems with unrest.

8)Rome
9)Counterfaction

A counterfaction for the Romans is not needed. They start with Latium only and are not intended to take much more than Italy. After thinking it over, I would suppose to cut the Samnite as well and replace them with rebells. When Syracusae and a Italo-Celt faction is in, Italy is allready quite full.

15)Pontos
16)Armenia
17)Persia
18)Pahlava

Pontos and Persia at the same time?

21)Maurya

Yes, an Indian faction could be an idea - on the other, were these Indian provinces of any importance for the other factions, others than provinces that a lot of people tried to counquer in vain? Their main "zone of action" would be somewhere outside the map.

Casse
KH
Saka
Arvernii

Saka could be a candidate to cut because Parthia should start further north as a nomad faction. I hadn't the Arverni on my list too. They should be replaced by an Italian tribe, for example the Boii in Bononia or the Insurbes in Mediolanum; leaving Gaul to a single-town faction, for example the Bituriges.

Cutting KH would be no-go for me. They were very important for the time of Philipp.

Playing Casse in 360 BC is for sure not different than playing them in 270; but on the other hand it is one of the favorite factions of many players and I don't see a reason to kick them out (that AI doesn't know what to do with them isn't an argument. If it was one, we must cut nearly all factions out.)

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 01:37
I suggest switching Saka for Massagetae.And Im not sure maurya was that dominant at the west of india at time,you should include Porus and his kingdom,the one that alex conquered.Oh,and if you start the work after more then two weeks,Im sure we will share our india map with you.

konny
11-11-2007, 02:09
Thank you. I think that would be to much of the East. I want the western factions to be in as well.

I am wavering about the Indians. Either some very strong rebell towns or a faction of its own might distract the AI Persians to east. On the other hand, if that is a neutral faction the Persians might as well go for Thrakia - and there I want to keep them out as long as possible. The Indians are also not expected to expand into the EB map. So, these are more arguments against the Indians than for them.

mrtwisties
11-11-2007, 06:30
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'd love to see / make a mini-mod that's Alexander Total War: a game that plays out more or less for the possible duration of Alexander's life and no further.

I'm basically thinking about:

Start with Phillip's death
A map that reaches east to the Ganges and west to Iberia
An India that is as crowded and detailed as Greece and Asia Minor
6 or 12 turns per year (with movement and build times modified accordingly)
Even more scripted events dealing with logistics and marching

The idea would be either to:

Play as Alexander and do stuff (not necessarily what Alexander did, though, you could go west from the start if that was your bag).
Play as Darius and try to keep the Persian empire from crumbling.
Play as one of the other factions, struggling to keep itself afloat in a time when the world was radically changed.

Y'know, basically what CA failed to do well with their expansion pack. Lots of combat and diplomacy, lots of scripted help for the AI if it's playing as Alexander.

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 11:39
6-12 turns per yaer would require rewriting almost whole script.Konny said he will start with Philliphos still alive.

konny
11-11-2007, 11:51
Yes, starting around the year Philipp came to power was the idea to have around 100 years of game play. I also didn't want to focus on Makedonia alone, even though they had been the major power of the time frame (like Rome for EB). There should be other new experinces too, for example starting Rome with just one province, playing the Gauls without a civil war, playing a Celtic faction in Italy, or playing a complete new faction like Syracusae or Thrakia.

@ mrtwisties: I think your idea could be a good mini mod for Asia ton Barbaron because they will have India better covered than EB. In that mod you will have a complete redone East. In an Alexander mini-mod there should be Makedonia playable only because the AI isn't able to win battles in most of the times and therefore won't be able to overrun you with one stack when you are the Persians.

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 12:21
You could use some kind of decline system for persians trough traits,to make them weaker.

konny
11-11-2007, 14:58
Here are some maps:

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/905/mapjw6.th.jpg (https://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mapjw6.jpg)

The general map.

New factions:

Yellow (former Arverni): Italian Celts; status: for sure
Purple (former Pontos): Samnite; status: probably not
Blue (former Baktria): Italian Greeks; status: for sure
Seagreen (former Armenia): Thrakia; status: probably yes
Grey (fromer AS): Persia; status: definitly

Candidates for kick out:
Saka, due to Parthia's new position.
Sauromate, if Scythia will be in

light blue and light green show positions for further factions (there is at least one slot free, Ptolemaians; and certainly another for the Samnite):

India (any or all of the marked provinces)
Scythia
Bosphorian Greeks
Egyptian Rebells (no idea how they called themselves)
Numidia
Alpine Celts
Danube Celts
Baltics.

-------------------------------
Here are some homeland concepts for new factions:

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1815/boigovex3.th.jpg (https://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boigovex3.jpg)
Italian Celts

https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3619/persgovdj6.th.jpg (https://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=persgovdj6.jpg)
Persia

https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1046/syrcgovnm4.th.jpg (https://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=syrcgovnm4.jpg)
Syracusae

https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4646/thrakgovrw5.th.jpg (https://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thrakgovrw5.jpg)
Thrakia

mrtwisties
11-11-2007, 16:05
When you put it like that, Persia really is... really is big. It's hard to believe that anyone could have torn it to pieces.

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 16:11
The place where you put Pahlava is the place where Massagetaes lived.A name change for them would be great.Epirus should not have Illyria Hellenike province at this time.

Roman_Man#3
11-11-2007, 16:24
Faction List:
Makedon
Persia
Getai
Thracia
Hellas/Sparta
Porus
Massagetai
Dahae
Sarmatia

Don't try to make a full conversion right away, just do a simple campaign that allows you to play as Alexander and make an empire like his, nothing more. If this succeeds, then keep going.

Makedon's unit list is wrong. No Thureoporoi, no pheraspides, and you only need one machimoi/pantodapoi phalangitai, no more.

Good luck with this,
RM3

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 16:34
Maybe you should use some reforms for Makedonia.After the reform they would be able recruit machimois/pantadapois and some greek-egyptian or greek-persian troops.At start they recruit levies deuterois and haplois as only.Pezhetairos,hypaspystes and hetairos for their elites.After the reform they get pheraspides and Basilekon Agemata(That ptolie elite unit).

My english is so bad....

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 17:00
Some ideas about persia.Persia should only have level 1 govs in Iran and Expansion gonverments in armenia and Iraq.Everything else should be allied states,because persians used the troops of they nations they conquered,and their factional troops all come from Iran.Oh and one question.Didin't egypt belong to persia in 360 bc?Correct me if Im wrong.

konny
11-11-2007, 17:07
That is the reason why I had placed "P 1" and "P 2" markers to some unit cards. I was thinking of two "Phalanx Reforms": the first to get Makedonian Phalanx at all (should be there for Makedonia from the start and available for example for Epiros and the Italian Greeks). The second to get the Successor army of the start of EB.

The Machimoi and Pantodapoi are concepts for Makedonian units on Persian territory (may be after another reform). Of course, nothing is definite so far.

The place where you put Pahlava is the place where Massagetaes lived.A name change for them would be great.

Thank you. The only map that I had showing the position of the Partians in that time has just a big arrow coming from the north and pointing into their later homelands.

Epirus should not have Illyria Hellenike province at this time.

ok.

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 17:10
One more suggestion.Thrace was not unified at this time IIRC.You may want to cahnge Thrace to Thracian kingdom of Byzantion or kingdom of Tylis.

konny
11-11-2007, 17:13
Didin't egypt belong to persia in 360 bc?Correct me if Im wrong.

Egypt was in a state of revolt until 342 BC. The same would be the Kadusians south of the Caspian. Syria and Phoenicia did revolt against Artaxerxes III as well, but I haven't researched the exact dates/situation in the 360s.

konny
11-11-2007, 17:20
One more suggestion.Thrace was not unified at this time IIRC.You may want to cahnge Thrace to Thracian kingdom of Byzantion or kingdom of Tylis.

May be, Odrysai would be better. It was quite strong around 360 but did breake appart soon after and was (partly) conquered by the Makedonians.

Roman_Man#3
11-11-2007, 18:40
Per se, there weren't really enough presence for a Parthia faction. Instead, I'd substitute in Dahae.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/MacedonEmpire.jpg

This map is a perfect example for the various tribes.

newlearning
11-11-2007, 20:01
If you are thinking of putting in an Indian faction, Maurya would be unhistorical during this time. Northern India was split into many smaller but powerful kingdoms that Alexander defeated and left a power vacuum for Chadragupta to move into in 320BCE. So for an Indian faction it would be Gandhara or some local power or just rebels representing each of the smaller kingdoms

Malik of Sindh
11-11-2007, 20:13
I already suggested this,The only Indian kingdom suitable for this period is Porus.

Roman_Man#3
11-11-2007, 22:46
No, there are two others.

https://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1986/42romtigerlb3.jpg

You got Porus, King of Panjab. Ambhi, King of Taxila. And Magadhs.

konny
11-12-2007, 00:41
I don't think that there should be a playable Indian faction at all. The thing is that the AI heads for rebell towns first, hostile factions next and afterwards neutral and allied factions (I don't think it really makes a difference between both).

This is the problem we have in every EB campaign: Rome always heads north first, even though they should attack their enemies (Epeiros) in the south. Epeiros has an army next Pella but doesn't start the siege and withdraws the force to conquer Illyria. Later they only send parts of the force back to Pella. etc

So, the best way to "invite" the AI to a specific region would be to make some rebell towns there. Allowing for an Persian expansian into the East and giving them a problem with Egypt rebells in the South plus a neutral faction Thrakia (or whatever it will be in the end) in Byzantion will certainly prevent the expansion of an (AI) Persia into the west before a (human controlled) Makedonia has brought Greece under controll.

Another idea could be to start in 342 when Makedonia had allready conquered Thrakia and Thessaly.

If Makedonia is AI controlled, all that doesn't matter because an AI Makedonia will either be overruned by her neighbours or head for the Balkans.

Malik of Sindh
11-12-2007, 00:58
You will not start this minimod if no one will help you?I can help you with scripts,I need some experience before we start AtB.I have no experience right now though.

konny
11-12-2007, 11:35
That is fine, thank you.

Changing the script shouldn't be to difficult, but a lot of work. Most of it is allready in EB and has to be moved around. I will make a to do list in short as an overview.

The most elaborate will be the Persians. It is not only deciding what units they should get, but also which of the buildings do fit in the Persian culture, assinging of new faction specific traits, like ethnicities, rennaming several places like Antiochia, Seleukia and all those Alexandrias. That is, so to say, reconstructing the original culture by the successor cultures. I think, Pontos is the the most "Persian" one of all EB cultures and may be a better slot to place them than AS.

J.Alco
02-11-2008, 18:54
It looks like there hasn't been any new posts here in a while, so I thought I'd just bring this up again.

I personally would love an EB-type realism mod for RTW Alex and have been baffled as to why there aren't any whereas mods for RTW vanilla and Barbarian Invasion are so numerous you can practically scoop up a dozen in a five-minute google search.

I love EB, I'm gonna install Invasio Barbarorum soon, and I have a feeling that I'd love an Alexander mod, and I hope I'm not the only one.

So basically, what's the status with this mod? Any news is good news with these things, no?

konny
02-11-2008, 19:56
So basically, what's the status with this mod? Any news is good news with these things, no?

Seems like this one has died in childhood. There were never enough members to make a team out of it. I myself have moved to other smaller projects while a lot of members with modding experince seems to be busy with ATB or their own projects.

Nevertheless, when there will be team, there will be a mod.

J.Alco
02-11-2008, 21:06
Aw, that's a godamn shame. An EB mod of Alexander would've been kickass. Damn shame how it all turned out ~:mecry:.

Still, as you so rightly said, when there's a team there'll be a mod, so, 'till that day! ~:thumb:

Gebeleisis
02-12-2008, 16:20
i think we should kic this back it

i can handle all 2d graphics needed (loading screens etc)
so what do we need?

konny
02-13-2008, 01:16
so what do we need?

First of all historical help:

A complete new (Persian) faction has to be created. That requires units, buildings, names, faction-specific traits like ethnicities and the like.

Other factions that might make it in should be payed the same attion to.

All other factions has to be reviewed too. Has something substantial changed, save for the boundaries?

Only after that is completed, a to-do list can be made. I assume that most of what is needed is allready in EB and has to be moved around by text editing. But that is tons of text editing, for sure.

Turnus
02-13-2008, 03:23
A complete new (Persian) faction has to be created. That requires units, buildings, names, faction-specific traits like ethnicities and the like.
Some EB units (e.g. Persian Archer-spearmen, Persian Archers, Mercenary Hoplites) and buildings (Parthian post-reformed government buildings) can be used. Perhaps one could also look to the Rise of Persia mod for inspiration/help/donations.

Has something substantial changed, save for the boundaries?
This is a crucial point, and most pertinent for the Makedonian faction. Are any experts on the military changes in the early Hellenistic period present to give some suggestions? I think that there may be some Alexandrian units up for free use at the TWC Unit Repository (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=355), but I am unsure how accurate these are, or indeed how they would fit in with the overall style of EB.

I assume that most of what is needed is allready in EB and has to be moved around by text editing. But that is tons of text editing, for sure.
That would certainly be the largest amount of work for this kind of project, and it would need a lot of commitment.

Anybody interested in this project?