PDA

View Full Version : The Age of Mankind: TW Announcement

Lonely Soldier
01-16-2006, 10:12
Greetings everyone,

Firstly, it is incredibly presumptuous of me to think that anyone really cares what happens to this mod, but here goes:

The mod now starts in the year 1453, the year Constantinople fell to the Turks. Therefore some faction names will change. The Romans will be the Italians. The Sassanids will be the Turks. There will be an Arab faction in Arabia, North Africa and parts of Spain. The Hellenistic States will be either changed or removed. We will still have the Spanish, the Germans, the French and the English (not the British).

The Mesoamerican States will become the Aztecs. The Inca will remain. The North American tribes, which were never really accurate anyway, will also be changed.

Japan and China will remain, and will use these names. The Champa Empire will be the Cambogee or the Angkor, I will research this further. The Indians will be the Moghuls.

That's all for now. The mod has now well and truly changed, but I think for the better. We will strive to make a working demo, containing historical battles between the Spanish and various native Americans, as well as between some other factions to illustrate scope.

We will need new faction icons, new histories and descriptions (which I will do).

Thank you.

PS - The reasons for these sweeping changes have a lot to do with my total lack of knowledge of Rome and it's engine. I take full blame for any time people have wasted in working on this mod up to now, but I hope that we will be able to offer an interesting and unique mod to the community.

What started as a mod showing the whole world from 500BCE to 2500CE has become a modification depicting the whole world from 1453 to 1900, still a vast undertaking.

Here it comes, what you've all been expecting... we need modellers, scripters, researchers (with some idea of academic rigour please!) and basically anyone else who is willing to help us. From the start interest has been woefully low, many have said that the mod is impossible, and now I finally, after a year of sporadic and ineffectual work, see that the doubters were right.

Thanks.

Duke Malcolm
01-16-2006, 17:42
Why the removal of the British? This was one of the most endearing points of the mod to me... The fact that you had said "British" not "English"...

Lonely Soldier
01-17-2006, 00:06
Well, it is really just a naming convention. The British would include the Scots, Welsh and Irish would it not? As that faction begins the game with only English territory, English seems a more appropriate name.

But it really does depend on their territory more than anything else.

antiochus epiphanes
01-17-2006, 02:48
cool this is one of the more interesting mods for rtw!

Ilsamir Lord
01-18-2006, 23:59
Indeed! Such a shame that no-one wants to help :( I would, but I have my own mod to deal with.

wlesmana
01-20-2006, 05:43
I don't understand why you can't push back the start date further. I think a mod that showed an evolution from the bronze (stone perhaps) age well into the 1900 (muskets and whatnot) sounds much more compelling and unique. Of course, with the current engine you can't be very historically accurate but most other games that has such a scope (Civilization series, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, etc) also took historical liberties. I believe you can manage such a thing but only if you generalized most of the cultures (making japanese and chinese looking similar for example). It would just require a massive undertaking and planning.

The reason I thought this mod's idea was unique in the first place is the evolution in technology, aka. age advancement, such that you could send an army of musketeers to fight bronze age warriors, just like in other RTS. Otherwise, right now the mod sounds very much like Citadel TW.

Lonely Soldier
01-21-2006, 01:06
Well, the unit limit is really all that's stopping us doing that. At the moment we have about 80 units and that is just for 5 of the seven cultures for only 2 ages of a planned 6 or so.

That said; we need help very badly!

Ilsamir Lord
01-21-2006, 08:28
Porting to MII:TW? I really hope so! And I hope that it allows you to fulfil your initial goals a little more easily! :D

Lonely Soldier
01-24-2006, 23:37
Well, for now, I think we'll keep working on the BI version. But as soon as all the necessary information on MII:TW comes out we'll work on AoM for that.

Murfios
06-26-2006, 18:58
Mayas removed?!? The Date, Push it back, it does not feel right. I really liked the idea you had in the past. British Should fight against the Scottish. Romans, why not leave them that name, and pretend they simple lived all that years?
Greeks? My so many changes? I do Understand, you planned so many things thant the engine did not support, But so nice details are still possible. I liked the Greek Phalanx musketeer Idea. Im Not Much of a modder, but can y ou perhaps use the Mauris Reform as a change in Ages and For Uits in all Factions?

I saw this mod and became greatly interested. Ive lived 7 years so far in Central America, and ive been studing native american culture since then. Im also a RTW gamer.
I can also give ideas of units name and how they would look.
I know mainly Central and some South American culture.

I would really like if I could help you. My skills are:

Veteran 2D digital painter(photoshop and Corel), Veteran working with Audio(editing, making, ect) Expert gamer(this includes noticing every little bug encountered), know little about modding, and great native american knowledge.

Myrddraal
06-29-2006, 02:22
British Should fight against the Scottish.

Where did that come from? Do you know the difference between British and English? :shame:

Murfios
06-30-2006, 03:19
My bad, made a concept mistake...