PDA

View Full Version : sea warfare

palissa
01-17-2006, 00:18
Well, seems strange to me that with 3 lowest possible ships, can control all mediterranean, because nobody build a ship, costing too much in building and upkeep costs.
All strategy guide around, says to destroy any ship you have, at the start, because cost too much.

I hated the vanilla Rw where fleet of factions and pirates spawn all around, and attack everything, but this is other way around, nobody own a single ship, seems.

I dont know if you will extend the sea trade and sea warfare, but i think will be a nice add.

Well, that was my 2 cents opinion.

Good work. bye

Jebus
01-17-2006, 00:32
Fleets become much more common as you progress further in the game - the AI seems to build naval docks as the last buildings in his cities. Kinda like the carpenters in RTR 4.0.

O_Stratigos
01-17-2006, 02:35
I also believe that fleets are a bit over priced and as reports indicate, even later on one never gets to be super rich and at these prices only Onasis can effort a fleet.. :laugh4: ~D

On the other hand it does stop the silliness of the AI sending a single ship (fleet) to blockade a harbor that has a full stack in it, so is probably a question of balance.. :juggle2:

O Stratigos :bow:

O'ETAIPOS
01-17-2006, 22:39
Fleets become much more common as you progress further in the game - the AI seems to build naval docks as the last buildings in his cities. Kinda like the carpenters in RTR 4.0.

But then AI could easly dominate the seas - on VH difficulty you have to have huge power difference to win a sea battle and when AI can't run in debt, it can have many very good ships, that player won't be able to afford.

Jebus
01-18-2006, 01:01
Meh, it depends. By the time fleets are beginning to get common, you should have yourself a pretty prosperous economy... I absolutely control the seas around 130 BC, sinking a fleet almost every two turns. It's doable, really.

Vexed
01-24-2006, 02:44
Speaking of doable, has anyone had any success with the nasty nasty pirate fleet that sails around the Aegean at the beginning? It's pretty ridiculous. I'm the only one that has a fleet (KH) and that's only because I hide it in port every turn. Everyone else's fleet was eaten ten turns into the game. Any particular reason why its combat stats dwarfs any fleet I'll ever be able to build?

Cheers

O'ETAIPOS
01-24-2006, 21:14
Speaking of doable, has anyone had any success with the nasty nasty pirate fleet that sails around the Aegean at the beginning? It's pretty ridiculous. I'm the only one that has a fleet (KH) and that's only because I hide it in port every turn. Everyone else's fleet was eaten ten turns into the game. Any particular reason why its combat stats dwarfs any fleet I'll ever be able to build?

Cheers

You are probably speaking about Huge Pirate Fleet - it has stats of pentere fleet. I havent encoutered them in my Mak camp so I think it is randomly generated, like poping up rebel armies.

pezhetairoi
01-29-2006, 14:21
Playing as the arverni I started out with a fleet costing me 5000 mnai a turn sitting off Segesta even though as the arverni I don't have any coastal province, much less a port to disband it in. I had to bleed over 1000 denarii before I captured tolosa to disband the fleet.

I wonder at the rationale for this? It seems senseless to have a fleet when you don't even have a coast.