PDA

View Full Version : New Unit Library

Dunhill
01-17-2006, 07:06
Just an idea, but I see heaps of new units being made in the various mods. It might be a good idea to have a place where everyone can put thier work. Sort of a library of units. It may require a bit of work as there are a number of files that go with each unit, but it would be a very helpful sort of thing for all the modders.

I'd almost suggest a wiki for RTW units, with links/attached pertinent files.

Just an idea. I doubt it will get off the ground, but its something to think about.

Dunhill
01-17-2006, 07:11
I guess the TWC skins download section sort of covers part of it, but I was thinking of something a bit more extensive than that.

A skin, unit stats, card picture, (maybe animations files?) all that on one page, possibly grouped by nation/state.

Myrddraal
01-17-2006, 12:02
A bit hard to classify, but shouldn't be in the Forge
Moved

Ilsamir Lord
01-19-2006, 06:31
Sounds like an excellent idea! Especially for historical mods. I think there is a lot to be said for a totally open community, but in the case of fantasies (like mine) I think there should be no obligation to share, as the concepts are really our own.

But certainly, I think historical mods should submit units.

Dunhill
01-19-2006, 08:25
I originally put this in the forge as I saw this as a modder's utility. New modders would be able to pick and chose from a wide selection of units. The work has already been done, why not make it available.

-Join date, yeah a long time ago. Can I take this opportunity to once again boast about predicting/requesting elephants back in the days of STW? It's my only claim to fame on these fourms.

Epistolary Richard
01-19-2006, 09:34
This idea has been suggested before but it's not received a lot of interest. It would require someone to be very proactive in going out to get permission from people and to collate both the information and get screenshots. It's a good idea but it would be a lot of effort to make it work because experience has shown that modders don't naturally release their skins & models independently of their completed mods.

Seasoned Alcoholic
01-19-2006, 10:08
Dunhill, try this related topic (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57424), I'm sure its relevant as to what you're searching for ~D

Lentonius
01-25-2006, 16:21
there is all sorts of issues with this
the fact people's work can be 'used' eliminates many mods appeal. Many mods will therefore be pointless to download if all the units are 'freeware'

This could have many solutions, but most people will not oblige to giving all their units away for free. If an Org 'law' was passed people would move to TWcenter or something...

rory_20_uk
02-03-2006, 14:37
I would hope that it would enable modders to stop "recreating the wheel" all the time if it were possible that modders produced minimods.

I see that several of the total conversions routinely include smaller mods that have focused on one aspect and as a consequence of that do it extremely well (tactics, weather, the map itself) and there seems to be no problem with this - there are already some mods that merely alter unit designs, so it seems that it not completely impossible.

For mods to focus on what they bring that is truely new would be great, as opposed to have to start altering all aspects from scratch each time, and of course developing models is an extremely imoprtant part of that.

Of course no one would say they have to, but I would have hoped this situation would be one where by helping the many benefits the individual - Vlad is renowned for his AI and is as such in many mods which would not be the case if it were tied to other features.

To be the person who produces the best models in the best mods, well surely that is a large accolade in its own right?

~:smoking:

Watchman
02-09-2006, 17:35
there is all sorts of issues with this
the fact people's work can be 'used' eliminates many mods appeal. Many mods will therefore be pointless to download if all the units are 'freeware'

This could have many solutions, but most people will not oblige to giving all their units away for free. If an Org 'law' was passed people would move to TWcenter or something...Uh, you know, it's already pretty easy to pick individual models, skins, graphics, animations and whatever from mods if you feel like doing so, and many people probably do it with their particular examples. I know I do, anyway. And since all the mods are "freeware" download anyway...

Duke John
02-09-2006, 18:04
You can use models from other mods, but you cannot use them in your own public mod without permission of the maker. Or else your mod gets banned from the Org. That is if Myrddraal still agrees with what I wrote here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40050