PDA

View Full Version : What to do when conquesting a enemy town?

Pretorian
01-18-2006, 11:52
Hi all
I've downloaded the EB mob and been trying it out.
I've started a campaign with the romans, and I've conquest all the Italian peninsula.
My questions are:

1. After I conquest a foreign city, should I destroy every "barbarian" building, or just the shrines (to replace them with my own), as I did in RTW vanilla?

2. I saw that I could recruit some barbarians on the northen cities, instead of roman units. Is this because I havent destroyed all the buildings, or because my government building is not finished yet?

3. I know the first building I should construct is a government building, and I always construct the government 1 whenever is available, but for the south city, only goverment 2 was available. Should I always go for nº1 when I can, or should I go for nº2 even if nº1 is available?

4. What kind of buildings should we aim to get our cities profitable (roads, naval ports and markets as in RTW)?

5. The generals that show up for adoption have lots of bad traits, is this ment to be like this, or should I keep saying no untill someone valuable shows up?

So far I've been enjoying this mod pretty much, but it CTD sometimes (beta is beta) and loadings are a bit too long, as lots of people have already said.
But I have to say that for a beta it is pretty impressive, and once you guys at EB team have replaced all the cards, text, make the game more stable, etc this will be something really great for all RTW fans.
Congrats for the great job so far and I hope a new version is comming soon :2thumbsup:

ps. sry for bad english, its not my main language.

Teleklos Archelaou
01-19-2006, 02:03
I'd say generally keep the buildings - but if it's a huge town you might want to either sell some to slavery or kill them. You do want to immediately destroy the old govt building though. You should build the new govt building first - but we can't enforce that actually. I have gotten the habit of immediately building a type4 to get a new govt in place for a while and milk the locals of some of their good low-level units. Then after things have calmed down I destroy the type4 govt and build a better one.

You can destroy their culture buildings if you want, but most of them either won't hurt you or could help you a bit. It varies from building to building. Then:

1. If I didn't slaughter the inhabitants, I then try to build roads first, and then either a small port or trader. Get those low level ones up and running first to get income.

2. If I did slaughter them I build low level farms and sewers to get population going more quickly - then I go for roads, traders, ports.

If you have a bad general show up for adoption, let him go. However, if they are sharp and charismatic, but langurous, I keep them (they can be good governors and not have to move around and stay active). If they are sharp, charismatic and active, then I definitely keep them (unless they're over 45). But it depends on the ethnicity of the general and what type of general you need (a governor, a warrior, etc.).

Hope this helps a little.

Mujalumbo
01-20-2006, 18:22
It depends on what type of conquest it is; if I've just conquered a homeland province, I'll usually build a type 1 government building. Otherwise, I'll slap in a type 3; I've noticed type 3 governments seem to have decent happiness and health bonuses, as well as providing a increase to tradable goods. (In addition, I've noticed some local units can't be trained with a better government; I've forgotten the names already, but the Eleuthoroi town with the Gallic Phalanx units. I put in a type 1; couldn't train them. Scratched that and put in a type 3, was able to train them. Oh well...) Only afterwards will I build roads, markets, temples, etc.

I think at the early phase of the game, it's best to get a type 3, or a type 4 if you're in a real hurry, in first.

Steppe Merc
01-25-2006, 03:30
If you want foriegn units you probably want to go with 4. 3 has more foriegn troops that 1 or 2, but with 4 you can get the most foriegn troops.

Pretorian
02-01-2006, 11:59
Thanks for the info put here. :2thumbsup:
When I played with Iberia (great faction to play as I am Portuguese:2thumbsup: ) I started with some great soldiers (cant remember the name), but after I conquered all territories that in modern days are Portugal and Spain, I coundt build or retrain those soldiers, only some weaker ones.
I then build Mic updates in my southern cities (the ones that could make more units) and still no sign of those great soldiers (they equip in black and have big shields) Is there a manual for every faction so we can know what we need to construct (and in what cities) for making available all our units?
In my capital city Oxtraca, I could only build some weak skirmishers...:wall: