PDA

View Full Version : Preview of New Conquests mod

HalfThere
01-19-2006, 04:27
New Conquests

This new mod for RTW: BI will take place in a far-a-way fantastic land. New and bizarre units will be present in a way that complements the old favorites. The pace of combat will be similar to normal RTW, though the scale and length will both be increased. The overriding goal of this is change in the campaign aspect of the game. The campaign map is completely different, with new factions and new goals. Competition over regions will be more frequent and fierce, making the balance of power between factions much more dynamic.

This mod is dedicated to the people who play it, therefore: I want your input. If you have an idea for a new unit, a concept for a wonder, or a thought about factions, backstory, or anything at all, post it here. Whatever is in your mind, I want it in this topic.

You can visit the sister thread to this one in the mod discussion forum here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61735).

PM me if you're interested in participating in this project.

Goals

Constant competition and pressure. Regions will change hands often and with extreme violence.
Diverse and unusual armies that play differently from the normal game and most mods.
Certain provinces will have special importance to different factions. This might be in the form of an economic boost, recruitment of a special unit, or something else entirely. This will add a new level to prioritization.
Emerging factions that can wreak havoc on their targets, and shift the entire balance of power.
True naval strategy. You won't be able to ignore boats anymore.

News
2/25/06: Updated progress chart.
2/22/06: Major updates of all sorts in this first post, including the addition of a new map and 6 new faction outlines.
2/20/06: I've been a bit distracted lately, but work has still been progressing.
1/26/06: Posted faction military doctrines, added Faction: Yunambi.
1/22/06: Announcement: I have decided, for the moment being, to narrow the scope of my efforts. For the time being, I will focus on a demo, a prologue similar in concept to the Vanilla RTW prologue. It will feature a campaign set around Ure (where the Purple and Green factions are) and it will feature Ure Maxon and the Democratic Agreggate of Ure duking it out. The nation of Yunambi will also appear. Historical battles may be included as well.
1/19/06: Preliminary maps and faction descriptions posted
1/18/06: Mod begun

Map Preview

Here is the newest version of the overall map, it is currently void of terrain, but, as the french say, se la vie.

https://img377.imageshack.us/img377/8269/knownworldlabeled0lm.th.jpg (https://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=knownworldlabeled0lm.jpg)

Shaded bubble letters designate a continent, all capital letters designate a region, and first letter capital rest lower-case designates a sub-region.

The demo will be devoted largely to covering the norther part of the region Ure, in the Northwest.

Factions summaries

The capitol city of each faction roughly corresponds to the location of it's number on the map.
*This faction begins as a horde.

1. Ure Maxon
Long has this great republic reigned over all the lands both South and North of the Grand Strait, but now it's power is waning. Though it still retains it's many great trading ports and controls both the Strait and the Isthmus, recent revolt has crippled it's once-unstoppable army and navy. Though still wealthy, there is a long way to go before its military can be revived to completely supress the threat of the insolent DAU.
Military Doctrine: Wealth has been the main means of conquest for Ure Maxon historically, but it resorts to military without too many reservations. Cheap, numerous and mobile, light infantry and cavalry are the name of the game for Ure Maxon. They have good short-range skirmishers but mediocre long-range ones. Well-disciplined but lightly-equipped cavalry and spearmen are their elites.

2. Aggregate Democratic States of Ure
Made up of coastal cities with large populations but little arable land, the DAU has had a long-standing rivalry with it's eastern neighbor, Ure Maxon. Usually it has been the underdog in these conflicts, and at times it has even been brought humiliatingly under the yolk of that other country. Now, however, with a superior navy and state-of-the-art technology, it seems that the perfect time for revenge may be at hand.
Military Doctrine: The strength of the ADSU has never been in its military machine, but rather it’s advanced technology and strong navy. It’s army, therefore, is composed of a haphazard mish-mash of units, resembling the military philosophy of Ure Maxon but not as efficiently executed. To compensate for this, however, they have several advanced troops, poorly trained perhaps, but equipped with intimidating and unusual weaponry.

3. Yunambi
Neighbors of the Kwazuzu tribe, they are similar in culture and climate but have had more contact with foreign peoples. This gives them a minor advantage in troop variety. Apart from that, they are mainly oriented around infantry. They lack, however, the spectacular archers of their eastern brethren.
Military Doctrine: Due to a harsh nomadic upbringing, the average Yunambi warrior is strong and brave, if not well-disciplined for fighting a field battle. They have some basic cavalry due to their contact with Ure Maxon, even though there are no domesticated animals in their native land. Their main strength comes from hearty infantry and strong, skilled archers.

4. Ludora
This largely land-locked nation began as small city almost directly south of the Great Strait. Over time, it blossomed into the mighty land power that it is today. Other small nations have been obliterated in it's path, and as the empire grew so did the arrogance of its people. Unforunately recent conflict with Dyto Siddia and naval invasion by the Dragon Islanders have brought defeat and unease. The only place that victory reports are coming from is the west, and even there disturbing rumors of retribution are beginning to surface. If Ludor is to retain its proper place as a world superpower, then it must act quickly and decisively, lest its richer border provinces be taken and the upkeep for its mighty army become too much to bear.
Military Doctrine: Land power is the key to them. Thus, they have developed an extremely powerful and force intended to annihilate an enemy rather than merely scare them off. It’s troops are generally intended to fight face to face and break through enemies with sheer force and brutality instead of deception and flanking. With top-notch training and equipment, Ludorian troops are expensive but powerful. The one downfall of their military machine is limited ranged capabilities.

5. The Sand Union
This is a loose conglomerate of various desert tribes. Central authority has existed here in name for hundreds of years, but until recently has had little power. Even more recent is the advent of expansionist ambitions, yet they have already been successful in taking regions to the south. The infrastructure of the Sand Union is still relatively primitive, however, and thus unrest is high, population low, and technology limited.
Military Doctrine: These desert nomads specialize in camel-mounted cavalry. They also have a variety of light infantry including bowmen, and a few heavily armored units from the southern tribes near the Zatakin Sea. Attuned mostly to desert fighting, their units are less adept in the tight, rigid formations of civilized warfare. However, they are learning the ways of their neighbors quickly, and are fiery, confident warriors to begin with.

6. The Kolga Kingdom
Long isolated from other empires by seas and mountains, this relatively prosperous empire received a wake-up call when it almost simultaneously encountered armed invasion from both the Sand Union to it's North and Ludor from the East. The people have pulled together, determined to drive these twin threats out of Kolgan territory at any cost. On their side is the long tradition of horsemanship in the Kingdom, as well as the formidable resources accumulated by a historically well-managed government.
Military Doctrine: In this land where men are taught to ride as soon as they can fit in a saddle, there exists wide variety of horse archers, chariots, lancers, and armored cavalry. Infantry is looked down upon, usually consisting of the poorest members of society, and therefore neglected in training and equipment. Though the horses bred in Kolga are some of the finest, other technologies, especially metallurgy, are primitive due to cultural factors and historic isolation.

7. The Dragon Island Empire
This is the greatest naval power in the world, its superb ships matched only by its lust for expansion into new lands which has brought it into conflict with many other empires. In its conquests the varied and deadly native creatures, including the dragons for which the island is named, have also helped immensely. Given it's naval dominance, it was a shock for all citizens of the island when soldiers from the Empire of the Branch set foot on the island and occupied it's capital. The blow to morale and administration has been nothing short of catastrophic, and not only the outlying colonies but also the very existance of DIE itself is in jeopardy.
Military Doctrine: The Dragon Island Empire has a terrific navy, one of the most advanced in the world, but is in other areas erratic. There are, of course, the famed fire-spewing dragons of the isle (though they are notoriously hard to transport via sea), but the human inhabitants of the land often make poor soldiers. Archers and pikemen, along with a variety of auxillary units and mercenaries, make up a workable but underwhelming land force. The true strength of the DIE’s force lies in its dragons and other vicious (and expensive) beasts.

8. Kwazuzu
This nation in the arid far north has a great many wants. There is a lack of food, of domesticatable animals, and of peace. The surrounding city-states have long harassed it, and this has forced the people of Kwazuzu to develop new and distinct military methods in order to maintain the expanse of their lands. With varied and powerful infantry, these people must forge their destiny as a great country.
Military Doctrine: The Kwazuzu people, related closely to the Yunambi tribes in terms of military tactics, come from a harsh and barren land with no domesticated animals. They are, therefore, unique amongst the nations of the Daga circle in their complete lack of cavalry. Despite this, the training and equipment of both their missile units and infantry are highly sophisticated for a relatively low price, due to a long tradition of reliance on footsoldiers.

9. The Empire of the Branch
Its emperor is iron-fisted, its army's reach breath-taking, and its wealth immeasurable. Originating in peninsula off the southern part of the continent, the people of the branch spread South into the verdant mainland and enjoyed peace and prosperity while on the borders their troops fought for expansion. In hundreds of years no foreign threat has infiltrated the interior of the Empire even as it has destroyed other nations with ease. Now, however, something troubling has emerged. In the South skirmishes have begun against Dyto Siddia, and they have not all been successful. The Empire, luckily, can afford to lose some of its mainland territories temporarily if necessary so long as the peninsula is well defended. If that is lost, however, who knows what havoc it might wreak.
Military Doctrine: The Empire of the Branch has a strong, diverse and professional army. Disciplined pikemen march alongside flexible bow-bearing swordsmen and powerful cavalry, allowing the employment many possible tactics to destroy enemy armies. This faction also possesses gunpowder weapons, giving some of it’s recruits primitive longarms and besieging towns with mighty but cumbersome cannons.

10. Dyto Siddia
These semi-pastoral people have a legacy of peacefulness, content to let others do the warring and expanding while it enjoys the wealth of its rich harvests. No more. The last king, upon seeing the sea, declared that Dyto Siddia should travel beyond the vast expanses of the ocean and bring it's civilization to all the other peoples of the world. Ever since, this kingdom has been preparing to do just that. Without any military tradition, however, it's troops are poorly trained and equipped. This is unacceptable, given that between them and the sea lies the Empire of the Branch.
Military Doctrine: Dyto Siddia is in the process of creating its first military. The sudden urgency for a military have turned it in an unorthodox direction. Instead of horses, these people ride their native cattle into battle, charging bulls into enemy lines to be followed up by somewhat motley infantry. Luckily, a history of marksmanship as a popular sport in Dyto Siddia has helped it develop good missile troops in a short period of time.

11. The Shadow States
The land of these secretive people is half mountains and half tundra, almost unlivable by the standards of normal humans. Yet, the Shadow peoples have endured it for hundreds of years and continue to do so. To allow their population to grow and thrive they have had one great advantage. Their lands are ripe with ores of all sorts, valuable for trading and production. Still, that has not been enough. In recent times they have expanded seawards into the the island of Azra, bringing them into conflict with the Dragon Islanders. The island still produces rich harvests and has brought new prosperity and a higher standard of living. This has whetted their appetite for good lands, and now they seek also to expand east and west on the mainland. Their potent, almost demonic military promises to be a great help in this goal.
Military Doctrine: Based around ferocious and brutal men and beasts, the Shadow States’ armies are imposing and dangerous. Although their infantry is armed to the teeth, most cavalry is highly specialized and missile troops are poor. They have a secret weapon of sorts in the form of their strange and frightening war machines, artillery the likes of which scares even battle-hardened veterans.

12. Batadasta
A relatively small nation, Batadasta has nonetheless gained a certain degree of comfort in the relatively harsh clime in which most of its population lives. However, recent times have brought the wrath of the Shadow States upon it. Right now it seems likely that this threat will obliterate Batadasta unless it adapts a new and bold strategy.
Military Doctrine: Batadasta is made up of semi-barbaric but proficient warriors. Recent military reforms in the face of the Shadow States’ aggression have begun to institute a little discipline upon these men, but they are still far from professional. The traditional weapon in this region is the axe, whether thrown from a distance or swung. A few units use other weapons, such as slings and bows, but only out of military necessity. Cavalry here is scarce and expensive, but well-utilized when they can be afforded.

13. Unnamed desert nomads
Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? It really needs some, so post!

14. Walden Kingdom
After the great Maxonian conqueror Ciamak Ochen died a power gulf appeared and his empire fractured. This is one of the major kingdoms that came into existence during that hectic time, and still exists today. Though influenced by Urish culture, it's rich indigenous traditions seperate it from most of the successor kingdoms. Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? If so, post!

15. Kasima
After the great Maxonian conqueror Ciamak Ochen died a power gulf appeared and his empire fractured. This is one of the major kingdoms that came into existence during that hectic time, and still exists today. This area has always had an odd mix of culture due to many foreign influences, but with the conquest a strong sense of identity, as part of Ure, came into being. Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? If so, post!

16. Massits
These nomadic people from the poisonous southern swamplands are a crude and despised group, but as the old Imperial proverb goes, "Beware the weak and wretched dog, it is he who bites." Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? If so, post!

17. Kal-Tek
A people whose whole culture is based around the sea, an important aspect of life when one lives in an archipelago. They have gone through cultural rises and falls, and in the past have had periods of great success when they colonized many far lands. Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? If so, post!

18. Gin Babbaroc

This former colony of the Kal-Tek is a unique blend between the cultures of the Branch and those of their motherland (or, more accurately, mothersea). It is a rich and prosperous nation, but its relations with its neighbors can only be called strained at best. Can you think of details to flesh out this nation? If so, post!

19. ???
Post your ideas for factions, these last two slots are reserved until I see someone else create a concept that catches my eye.

20. ???
Post your ideas for factions, these last two slots are reserved until I see someone else create a concept that catches my eye.

X. Rebels
These are the free and independent peoples of the world. They often lie between great empires, usually in lands that have either recently revolted or that nobody has bothered to conquer yet. Some control great cities with strong garrisons, and should not be taken lightly.

Demo
Graphics
-Campaign map: 60%
-Units: 20% (A special things to Richyg13 and Palissa)
-Other: ???%
Text editing
-Campaign map: 0%
-Units: 50%
-Buildings: 0%
-Traits: 0%
-Other: ???%
Concepts
-Factions: 100%
-Units: 100%
-Buildings: 30%
-Other Features: 50%
Everything else
-Testing: 5%
-Historical battles: 10%
-The X factor: ???%

End-Note
I repeat: I want YOUR input. If you have an idea for a new unit, a concept for a wonder, or a thought about factions, backstory, or anything at all, post it here. Whatever is in your mind, I want it in this topic.

HahnHolio
01-19-2006, 04:41
well, this sounds kewl, and the map is looking pretty well too.
i´ll give u my thumbsup for this ...

greetz

HahnHolio

Monarch
01-19-2006, 18:44
Well I'm not in the market for a fantasy mod, and thus shall now be downloading it. However I like how organised you are with all your factions, very well thought out.

Good luck.

Lentonius
01-24-2006, 19:25
it is certainly very exciting, as for me i have become annoyed with europe and asia and this new map would be very fun to play on
good luck

HalfThere
01-27-2006, 03:50
Alright, a good amount of progress has been made in laying groundwork for factions. Much still remains of course, but the background and basic military philosophy for each has been laid out. Still, I'm wondering if I should add more. Also at question is the paradigm of the project. What about the fundamentals, like city density and relative unit cost? I'll have to do a lot of testing, it seems to find exactly the right formula for what I desire. Well, I'm sure it'll be fun.

HalfThere
02-08-2006, 05:24
Don't worry, this mod isn't dead, or even dying. The demo has been coming along decently, and I hope to have a preview of the map soon.

Remember, questions, comments, and suggestions are always desired.

harookitei
02-09-2006, 09:06
Sounds intresting!

Would be cool to help out somehow but don't know what I should do.. I am not an experienced modder so.. :sweatdrop:

richyg13
02-09-2006, 13:16
Units Idea: Maxon Coastal Guards
Lightly armoured spearmen, carry two additional spears to throw before contact, a small buckler for skirmishing defence. good morale, trained but undisciplined (due to the fact they spend much of their time outside the cities). Fast Moving.
They should wear a light helm and a shoulder guard on their left arm. They bare cloth of the colour of their nation.

Units Idea: Maxon Mounted Coastal Guards
Lightly armoured spearmen, carry two additional spears to throw before contact, a small buckler for skirmishing defence. good morale, trained but undisciplined (due to the fact they spend much of their time outside the cities). Very Fast Moving.
They should wear a light helm and a shoulder guard on their left arm. They bare cloth of the colour of their nation. Lead by a light officer and standard bearer.

HalfThere
02-10-2006, 03:23
Coastal Guards will fit right into Ure Maxon. Thanks, richyg.

I'm currently putting in the final conceptual pieces of Ure Maxon, ADSU, and Yunambi, and have the Heights, regions, and ground types done for the demo campaign map.

richyg13
02-10-2006, 14:33
You could make coastal bowmen too (mounted archers) but make them very poor to fit in the description you set for the Ure Maxon.

Azog 150
02-10-2006, 23:31
Unit Idea:
How about placing some dwarf mercenries in the mountanous areas. Give them strong moral, and a strong defense. Make them fight to the last man kinda thing like spartans. Not sure how they would look exept they would be small and have big beards and carry hammers or axes. They would have quite stong armour but be rather slow. This is how i picture them anyway. I think they would be a cool addition to the mod.

richyg13
02-11-2006, 00:42
Unit Idea: Coastal Assault Troops - for Aggregate Democratic States of Ure
Design to be used as landing troops, they are light but vicious assault troops armed with a short sword, a small sheild and minimal armour. They wear a storm helm, bracers on each wrist and a minor breat plate. Poorly trained and poorly disciplined but excellent moral and can be impetuous. They get hyped up by their Storm Captain just before they land and makes them eager for a fight!

HalfThere
02-11-2006, 05:24
I have a few specific features in mind, please tell me what you think:

1) Traits: Command will be gained from success in battle, but not easily. Emphasis will be on taking on heavy odd and doing it often, or you'll never get above a few stars. Management will be gained by managing cities so they are profitable and have low unrest. Influence will increase a little more loosely, generally in accordance with age as well as the other two stats.

2) Towns: Town tax and trade profits will be heavily affected by population, so no more mass extermination! There will also be fewer walls.

3) Faction specialty: Each faction will have a super troop or weapon. This will be a strong, unique unit of which stronger variations can be produced by investing in advanced production facilities. The Empire of the Branch, for instance, posessing gunpowder, might begin with a 'Cannon', upgrade their production facilities to allow 'Great Cannons', and finally move on to an 'Emperor's Cannon' that can batter down walls in a few shots.

richyg13
02-14-2006, 01:23
I much like 1 and 2 there, should make for a more strategic campaign management.

-----

What is the general range of weapons your planning to use then??

The 'Legendary' unit for each faction must be based around your named attributes for each faction. A suggestion for your balancing by the way is how i did mine, you create a general base calculation database for attirbutes based on weapons, armour you can physically see them wear, their status in society (peasantry, militia, regulars, elites etc.). These are then modified dependent on their faction specific skills. Eg. if the faction has prolific archers, then their bow armed units get bonuses to their attack strength over that of base statistic.

HalfThere
02-16-2006, 05:26
@richy:
I don't think I'll take the scientific approach that you have in determining unit stats, but rather a more loose, trial-and-error approach for balance. For the faction specialty units, I plan to have quite a variety. The Sand Union will have a giant camel, another faction will get a tank, the DIE will get dragons (naturally), Yunambi will get berserkers, Kolga will have heavy chariots etc. A few nations will get comparatively normal units, like cavalry or infantry, but they'll still be the elite of their kind.

I've got a problem.

I can do most of the stuff for the demo. It'll take time, and the coding will require vigilance and careful effort, but I can do it. The one problem is that the most apparent aspect of a mod is its graphics, and in addition to being a terrible artist I'm also incompetent in the realm of using graphics programs.

Right now I estimate I'll need ~40 models/re-skins (only two or three significantly original ones though) and maybe thrice as many portraits and icons,etc.

Anywhere I can find modelers up to the task?

richyg13
02-16-2006, 12:11
If you want I'll model and skin the coastal units that i commented on previously in this thread, just so you can generate more interest from other modders. Only thing i ask is you get me a picture of...
- something you want it to look like
- a drawing of the helmet (if it has one)
- a drawing of the shield design

Otherwise i wish you the best of luck. To be honest, you should just have a go at using the programs and see what u come up with.

HalfThere
02-16-2006, 20:04
Thank you very much for your offer, richy. I'll take you up on it when I've gotten things a bit more organized (a few weeks from now, in other words).

richyg13
02-16-2006, 21:04
Very good :) its better for it to be sooner than later thats all i can say, few months time and i wont have the time to do it. Its a short quiet period in uni at the moment.

HalfThere
02-20-2006, 01:36
Actual work is beginning for the demo now. I have to say, it's tough, but I'm sure it'll get easier. I've also been doing a lot more work on the grand scheme of things. The map has changed immensely from what is in the first post, and I have concepts now for a full 20 factions.

Things are shaping up well. I'm not going to start actively recruiting quite yet, but if you want to offer your help feel free.

HalfThere
02-21-2006, 05:03
All sorts of updates on the first post. By the way, anyone who agrees to text edit, model, or create historical battles receives priority from me for listening to their creative input, just so you know.

palissa
02-23-2006, 12:02
Well, i got 3dsmax, photoshop, read all tutorial i can find around, and tried some modelling.
I can try to make some textures, and apply it on kinda standard model (anyway, rtw has already dozens of model, with very few modelling skills can change what need and keep the rest :)
So, if you have a good description, or a draw, or a picture, or a paint, or even a web address where is a picture of ONE unit you want to include, i can start to work on it. Only ONE, because i am at start and need much time to work on it :)
bye

richyg13
02-23-2006, 13:41
@Palissa
if you want any tips ill give you what i can. yesterday i actually got given tips from a moddler and texture artist from codemasters, he was realy good :)

@HalfThere
I'll try to give the backpck a go tonight when i get in... its gna be kinda late by then so dnt expect anything great til tomorrow.

palissa
02-23-2006, 15:32
@rychig
Thank, i appreciate anything that help me :)
I just need one pic to work over for one unit :)
I mean, gimme a description and i work on it, I am not ready to join a team,
and model without a target is boring :)
So if you have in mind just an unit, like an infantry spearmean, or archers, or
sword infantry, i can try to texture it and show you the result and accept the critics :)

richyg13
02-23-2006, 16:18
Maybe i can have a go at sketching some of my ideas, im not that good at drawing from the mind so maybe i can find my own resources to draw from.

I'll do it when i get home. Whenever that may be lol. maybe ill do something on the bus going home. I think the style for the Ure Maxon was to have bronze style swords, sheilds and helms... if i get HalfThere's idea.

palissa
02-23-2006, 17:36
Ah, well, a drawing is great, but i can also work maybe on a detailed descriptions, like this:

type of dress: tunic, trousers, whatever
Dress color: somewhat green (blue, red whatever)
face/head: helmet, no helmet, type of helmet, color of hair, beard, no beard, mustaches, looks like a north european, looks like a native african, (yo ugot the concept)
weapon
armor/no armor color of armor and weapons

and other details you come in mind :)

Which dimension you want textures?
I can work on standard rtw that i think is 256x256. Didnt try to work on a 512x512, but maybe if explain me some tips i can try it :)
bye

my msn addy is a66lombardi@hotmail.com

richyg13
02-23-2006, 22:26
k i never got round to sketching anything. So heres my description for the Coastal Assault Troops.

Leather Shoulder Guards, Cloth Torso and Legs, Leather Boots, Leather Wrist Bracers, Steel Breast Plate. (I can not comment on colour as this is up to HalfThere)
Full Face Steel Helm
Dark Hair
Tanned Skin
Short Sword
Small Metal Buckler

Make your textures in 256 x 256 if your learning.

palissa
02-24-2006, 12:43
Heh, i need a .cas or a referring model on vanilla (or other mod maybe if have permission) so i can check the textures fit good :)
Bye

richyg13
02-24-2006, 14:36
You have the CAS exporter right? if not I'll find it for you or mail it to you.

If your using 3DS Max 5.1 i can exchange models with you (they're upgrading to 8 in uni, which im not happy with :wall: )

and Photoshop 7? (i know how to use that so i can give you better advice).

palissa
02-24-2006, 15:38
I have 3ds max 8, and photoshop CS2, and of course the pack extractor and the cas script, etc. etc :)
WHat i eman is that i can do very small modeling (not talking about weighting vertex, attach to bones, etc etc), so i better start with some basic texturing.
In texturing i can do some effort and get something done.
Of course, i can test textures on a simple .cas model, but if have the final model would be better, imho.
Bye

HalfThere
02-26-2006, 06:07
I've completed two factions' armies (made them playable in custom, aesthetics and campaign playability will follow later), and have the graphical part of the campaign map more or less done.

My prediction: I'll be playtesting the demo by the end of March, and then, with good luck, will have a fairly polished product out within a month or two of that.

palissa
02-27-2006, 09:12
I finished a spearman :)
If want the unit card so can see it, gimme a mail address or something :)
Bye
Here my spearman skin:

https://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2294/bronzespearman9az.th.jpg (https://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bronzespearman9az.jpg)

Braden
02-27-2006, 13:34
I like the completely new angle of this mod. I'm sorry that I've come to this so late on in its production - perhaps you should change your thread name? It indicates (as does the graphic on your posts) that the game is based on the conquest of the Americas. Well it did to me, was only your posting on the "Who wants a Fantasy Mod" thread that directed me here.

BTW - I don't know if you've finalised all the factions as yet but one suggestion of something completely new to the Mods I know of:

A Matriarchal society. Powerful women are in charge and men are 2nd class citizens. The best and most powerful warriors are female with males religated to the "lower" form of combat like archers, slingers and skirmish cavalry perhaps. You could go Amazon style and have large armoured chariots but my own vision is more masculine, cold and efficient so as to turn the usual on its head.

Let me know if you're still open to ideas at this stage and i'll fill in the rest for you - assuming its appealing (would involve a fair chunk of more unusual skins).

richyg13
02-27-2006, 14:59
Hehe yes i did consider adding a race of "female" warriors to my mod but realised it just wouldnt fit the story-line. Maybe for my MTW2 version i could add them in since it will have more islands and factions in it.

Would be good to see none-the-less.

HalfThere
02-27-2006, 15:37
I like the completely new angle of this mod. I'm sorry that I've come to this so late on in its production - perhaps you should change your thread name? It indicates (as does the graphic on your posts) that the game is based on the conquest of the Americas. Well it did to me, was only your posting on the "Who wants a Fantasy Mod" thread that directed me here.

BTW - I don't know if you've finalised all the factions as yet but one suggestion of something completely new to the Mods I know of:

A Matriarchal society. Powerful women are in charge and men are 2nd class citizens. The best and most powerful warriors are female with males religated to the "lower" form of combat like archers, slingers and skirmish cavalry perhaps. You could go Amazon style and have large armoured chariots but my own vision is more masculine, cold and efficient so as to turn the usual on its head.

Let me know if you're still open to ideas at this stage and i'll fill in the rest for you - assuming its appealing (would involve a fair chunk of more unusual skins).

Well, first let me say that you didn't come late in production at all.

Conceptually, the process of hammering out factions and map details is constant. The only ones that are more-or-less set in stone at this point are Ure Maxon, the Aggregate Democratic States of Ure, and the Yunambi nation (all featured in the demo). All the others, though I've gotten quite attached to ideas behind a half-dozen, are open to change. That's still almost a dozen factions that may, nay, are likely to alter radically before the final product is out.

I think I probably will end up implementing a matriarchal society similar to what you described. I can think of a few places it might fit.

So, allow me to conclude: Any help you can offer is still welcome, in whatever area it happens to be (graphics, coding, ideas, testing, etc.).

As for the name, I don't think I'll change it, at least not yet, but thank you for pointing out the potential confusion.

palissa
03-01-2006, 12:42
Ah am back after some days of idleing.
So halfthere, if you liked the texture, i can do some more.
But i need some pic, or some very good desc how you like your models.
I will not do model in 3dsmax, is too boring, so must stick to models i can find all around or in vanilla or bi.
my email is a66lombardi@hotmail.com.

bye