PDA

View Full Version : Will M:TW II have playable Muslim factions?

Doug-Thompson
01-20-2006, 21:25
I presume it will, but don't see that explicitly stated anywhere.

Zawath
01-20-2006, 21:27
It has crusades so naturally Muslim factions will be present.

Doug-Thompson
01-20-2006, 21:29
It has crusades so naturally Muslim factions will be present.

Present, yes, but playable without a mod?

Monarch
01-20-2006, 21:29
In a couple of the screenshots Muslim banners are present.

I'm relatively new to the TW crowd. When RTW was being released, how long did it take for a faction roster to be released? Possibly in PCZone perhaps?

asilv
01-20-2006, 21:39
Is there any reason why muslim factions would not be playable?

hellenes
01-20-2006, 22:48
Present, yes, but playable without a mod?

Why "Without a mod?"...
And I wouldnt consider a file that just unlockes factions a "mod"...

Hellenes

Antagonist
01-20-2006, 22:58
From this interview (http://pc.ign.com/articles/682/682437p1.html):

There will be 21 playable factions for custom battle and multiplayer. England, France, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Sicily, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, The Turks, Egypt, The Moors, The Mongols, The Tumurids, The Aztecs.

Antagonist

Doug-Thompson
01-20-2006, 23:26
Much thanks, Antagonist. That settles that.

Oops. Wait a minute. It says there are 21 factions for "custom battle and multiplayer." Oh well. There will be the option to unlock them in any case.

The_Doctor
01-20-2006, 23:57
Why would you need to unlock them?

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-21-2006, 00:02
Lads its a good idea to keep discussions on Medieval II in this thread at the minute:

Thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59982)

Thanks.

Ilsamir Lord
01-21-2006, 08:34
Sorry, but I must say one last thing. Aztecs? Are they serious? Where are the other American civilisations? Come to that, how will the campaign map work if only Mexico is accessible from Europe? I like that they are expanding to an all but untouched subject area though. I hope the cities are there realistically this time too, no more flattened out Rome and Athens!

x-dANGEr
01-21-2006, 10:22
Too much reading to do on the official topic/thread. Though, only Egypt is muslims? (I don't know a couple of those as countries/nations). And if so, I hope they won't be too downgraded 'again'.

Leet Eriksson
01-21-2006, 11:04
Too much reading to do on the official topic/thread. Though, only Egypt is muslims? (I don't know a couple of those as countries/nations). And if so, I hope they won't be too downgraded 'again'.

No Turks, Moors and Timurids are also muslim.

Anyways seems like the turks will finally get their own voicepack, portraits and such, becuase there are 2 turkic factions, so CA won't have any reason to merge them with the arabic ones. :2thumbsup:

x-dANGEr
01-21-2006, 11:11
But am Arabic and Muslim And don't know who are Moors and Timurids :S

The_Doctor
01-21-2006, 12:03
But am Arabic and Muslim And don't know who are Moors and Timurids

Moors are north african muslims. In MTW they where the Almohads (sp).

I think the Timurids are Mongol muslims.

Leet Eriksson
01-21-2006, 12:17
But am Arabic and Muslim And don't know who are Moors and Timurids :S

As martinus said, though timurids were tukified i think..

Sorry for derailing a bit, but don't see arabs on this here boards, where are you from? ~:)

GiantMonkeyMan
01-21-2006, 12:58
here is the faction list so far

There will be 21 playable factions for custom battle and multiplayer. England, France, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Sicily, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, The Turks, Egypt, The Moors, The Mongols, The Tumurids, The Aztecs

source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/682/682437p1.html

which is quite cool! i can't wait now... i've got all exited :laugh4:

Doug-Thompson
01-21-2006, 17:16
Timurids are people in the Turkish tribes who followed Timur, a.k.a Timur the Lame a.k.a Tamburlame. They were known by that name even after Timur's death.

I just hope the Mongols are playable.

ajaxfetish
01-21-2006, 19:26
It has the mongols listed in the playable factions in the IGN article, though the list is for Multiplayer. They said they haven't finalized the single-player roster yet.

Ajax

x-dANGEr
01-21-2006, 20:17
Ah thanks everyone, but where did they get the name 'Moors' from 0_o

@Faisal: I'm from Palestine (Root) and now living in Jordan.

Watchman
01-21-2006, 20:32
So far as I know it's virtually universally employed as the umbrella term for the inhabitants of Sahara and North African coastline westwards of Egypt, who form a reasonably similar ethnic grouping - at least for the purposes of distinguishing from sub-Saharan Africans, Europeans, Egyptians and Arabs.

Kraxis
01-21-2006, 20:49
I might have an explaination... Their original name was Mauria, in Danish they are still known as Maurer. This could (and like has) a connection to Mauretania.

They were/are Africans, the decendants of the Numidians, and not black Africans (well some are very dark but you get my point). They look a great deal like Europeans but with much much darker and uniformly coloured skin, though some can also be quite light.

x-dANGEr
01-22-2006, 12:46
Yea I see them everyday, a little darker yes, but you can find a couple who are light, but not 'lighter' than europeans.. But your explanation seems reasonable.

killerxguy
03-24-2006, 08:53
I think we will have playable muslim/arab factions, as if they are not is a big mistake CA will do.

Posted by Faisal:
"Sorry for derailing a bit, but don't see arabs on this here boards, where are you from? "

Posted by x-dAnGER:
"@Faisal: I'm from Palestine (Root) and now living in Jordan."

X-danger and Faisal, salam wa alaykum, im an Arab too!! Im palestinian (my root) with a Jordanian Passport/ID, my religion is Islam and I live in UAE, in one of the best Cities "Dubai"!!

Leet Eriksson
03-24-2006, 21:41
I think we will have playable muslim/arab factions, as if they are not is a big mistake CA will do.

Posted by Faisal:
"Sorry for derailing a bit, but don't see arabs on this here boards, where are you from? "

Posted by x-dAnGER:
"@Faisal: I'm from Palestine (Root) and now living in Jordan."

X-danger and Faisal, salam wa alaykum, im an Arab too!! Im palestinian (my root) with a Jordanian Passport/ID, my religion is Islam and I live in UAE, in one of the best Cities "Dubai"!!

Halla walla halla, hope you enjoy your stay ~:)

I live in Abu Dhabi btw.

Husar (a member in this here .org) told me there will be at least 1 playable muslim faction initially in a preview he read in a german magazine. That could mean the unlocks would be back in, i hope thats not the case.

Dâriûsh
03-24-2006, 22:55
Nice.

Personally, I would not mind the opportunity to play a Baibars type and evict the crusaders. That could be fun. :charge:

Oh, and Salam you guys. :jumping:

Martok
03-25-2006, 05:57
That could mean the unlocks would be back in, i hope thats not the case.

Indeed. Forcing you to unlock the other factions in Rome was, quite frankly, a very poor design decision. We can hope that CA has learned to not repeat that mistake.

As for playable Muslim factions, you would think they'll at least bring back the original 3 from MTW--with the exception of the Almos having been replaced by the Moors, of course. I'm curious to see if the Timurids will be playable as well. I admittedly know very little about them, aside from shows on the History Channel. ~:rolleyes: Personally, I'm looking forward to playing as the Eggies again. Going to war against the Turks, Byzantines, and defending the Holy Lands from the Frankish Crusades is a hell of a lot of fun!

One of my greatest concerns, though, is whether or not Jihads will be in Medieval 2. You would think they will be, but since I have yet to hear CA confirm this, I admit to being a trifle worried they'll be excluded. They're at least as much fun as Crusades, and the Muslim factions risk being underpowered versus the Christian nations if they're unable to declare holy wars of their own. Ah well, here's hoping.... [crosses fingers]

Midnight
03-25-2006, 09:19
It would be very bad if the Muslim factions aren't playable or have to be unlocked. However, I really can't see CA making that decision (well, maybe unlocking...).

I also hope as many of the 21 factions as possible are playable.

Orda Khan
03-25-2006, 12:23
I am sure I read somewhere that no factions would need unlocking. As to all 21 factions being playable (without tweaks) I very much doubt it. 21 playable factions refers to CUSTOM and MULTIPLAYER.
Doug, I hope for playable Mongols too but as they appeared first in the early 13th C and there are no eras, I am beginning to suspect they will not be

.......Orda

killerxguy
03-25-2006, 14:58
I would release a mod to unlock all factions maybe also make an "Extended Muslim Mod" to continue the legacy of the "extended Greek mod" i hope their team would work with me :) .

" Halla walla halla, hope you enjoy your stay "
Well i actually live here my family has been here since 15 years, (im 14) but i was born in jordan, but i think my life will depend on Dubai as i think i will live here even after graduation, and i wont feel not at home, cuase UAE is an arabic country and i am Arab.

x-dANGEr
03-25-2006, 20:22
Wa3aleiko essalam jame3an ;) (3 = A in Abd).

I definately would be disappointed of CA if they don't include a playable muslim faction.. It's always great to play your nation, after all.

Martok
03-27-2006, 09:40
Wa3aleiko essalam jame3an ;) (3 = A in Abd).

I definately would be disappointed of CA if they don't include a playable muslim faction.. It's always great to play your nation, after all.

Not if you're American like me! The best I can do is just play as my ancestors. :laugh4: Fortunately, the English and the Danes are both fun factions to play as. (I hate playing as the HRE, though.) ~D But I digress.

Of all the Muslim factions, I'd say the Egyptians would have to be in Medeival 2 for sure; as I'm guessing it's the one Muslim faction people will be most familiar with. I personally also find Egypt to be one of my favorite factions, and the only one out of the 3 Muslim factions from MTW that I really like (in terms of gameplay). That said, I'm pretty sure the Turks and Moors will be in the game as well. Hopefully the Timurids too, but we'll have to see.

Sarmatian
03-28-2006, 02:44
There were 3 playable muslim faction in medieval 1, if I am not mistaken, so it`s safe to assume that that would be the case with medieval 2.

2 Martok: It could be worse. Imagine that you are from a country that was in the centre of the events but it is never included because it is to small. What is worse, you have to play the countries that were generaly it`s enemies during medieval times. :furious3:

Vladimir
03-28-2006, 13:27
I'm an American who loves to play the Turks and it looks like they'll have an expanded role. All those arrows and horses!!! ~:eek:

Subedei
03-28-2006, 16:22
I am from Bavaria & love to play the Ahlmovids, Mongols, Turks and all the horsy people & camel riders...."See those arrogant knights attacking our countries...Gentleman: Be brave & prepare your tin openers!" (just kiddin`, but i love peoples with Nomadic roots......so i hope 2 there be some Islamic factions included)

anti_strunt
03-29-2006, 14:33
I don't see why there wouldn't be any muslims? And hasn't CA released an official faction list that lists the old muslims factions of MTW, plus the Timurids?

ljperreira
03-30-2006, 04:48

@Faisal: I'm from Palestine (Root) and now living in Jordan.

The Moors were Muslims from North Africa and Arabia who invaded Iberia (Spain and Portugal) in the 700s'. The Moors lived and ruled in Iberia for 700 year, until Spain finally defeated the last Moorish stronghold in Grenada (southern Spain) in 1492. Sorry, but I couldnt help myself. Oh yeah, the name "Moor" is believed to mean "dark" because they were darker skinned than most Europeans at the time (but not black).